Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have an audio mixer, it's called air, which sound from multiple sources travels through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have an audio mixer, it's called air, which sound from multiple sources travels through

oh how incredibly confusing! what were they thinking?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This is extremely exciting

It's not, it's the rebrand they started in 2014 and they're mostly poorly optimized phone ports.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't really see the inconvenience of having to be tethered to another device because the device in question is one I'm already tethered to all day, every day.

I don't care at all about voice chat, I wouldn't use voice chat in Splatoon even if Nintendo made it easy. But don't pretend that Nintendo's voice chat setup for the Switch isn't completely stupid and a pain in the rear end compared to how all other video game systems do it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No more pretending, Al Borderland Corp

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Are all the people who use Discord on their phone while they play PC games hosed up? I don't really see how this is different from that

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

whaley posted:

Are all the people who use Discord on their phone while they play PC games hosed up? I don't really see how this is different from that

....why? You can just use Discord on your PC while you play PC games, and cut out that audio middle man

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Rexroom posted:

There can only be a certain amount of freshness America can handle at a time. Don't worry, you'll get there eventually.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't care at all about voice chat, I wouldn't use voice chat in Splatoon even if Nintendo made it easy. But don't pretend that Nintendo's voice chat setup for the Switch isn't completely stupid and a pain in the rear end compared to how all other video game systems do it

People are pretending you have to have a sound splitter, specialized headset, be within X feet of the console, etc. Literally all do is start the session in the app and put it in your lap or next to you while you play the game. Plug in a $8 pair of gas station earbuds w/mic to your phone if you want, but even that's not necessary. You don't need any sort of adapter or require any kind of proximity to your console like people are repeating.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

....why? You can just use Discord on your PC while you play PC games, and cut out that audio middle man

The convenience of phones has made it so some people don't use a PC microphone or headset. Just a phone and a pair of earbuds

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

People are pretending you have to have a sound splitter, specialized headset, be within X feet of the console, etc. Literally all do is start the session in the app and put it in your lap or next to you while you play the game. Plug in a $8 pair of gas station earbuds w/mic to your phone if you want, but even that's not necessary. You don't need any sort of adapter or require any kind of proximity to your console like people are repeating.

Not having a headset could create some nasty feedback, but probably

CALLER TURN - CALLER - CALLER TURN DOWN YOUR RADIO

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

same

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whaley posted:

Well, for one it doesn't work if you minimize the app or lock the screen.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I'm in the Nintendo app, chatting from Discord rn

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes Discord does that, the Nintendo app doesn't.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aphrodite posted:

Where did the lock screen part come from? The Nintendo support FAQ only mentions switching to different apps.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spellman posted:

I'm in the Nintendo app, chatting from Discord rn

can you run discord and make/run a lobby, or is that suspended too?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Where did the lock screen part come from? The Nintendo support FAQ only mentions switching to different apps.

Eurogamer article testing it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-19-nintendos-new-online-service-looks-like-it-could-be-every-bit-as-bad-as-you-feared

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why is the Switch plugged into the Voice in jack

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is the Switch plugged into the Voice in jack

So you can hear the game.

Also, I loaded up the app and you seemingly can't even have a general voice chat with your friends? You need to be in Splatoon? :psyboom:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I haven't followed along enough to even have an inkling of why they did it that way. As in; was it not at least as much work as doing it in a more normal way?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Well I don't have any octoling of why they did it that way

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Stardew when?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I haven't followed along enough to even have an inkling of why they did it that way. As in; was it not at least as much work as doing it in a more normal way?
i sea what you did there

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If anything it was more work setting this poo poo up since now you need an app tied to your accounts on your phone to access stuff.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

i sea what you did there

You guys better be ready to shore up these weak pun jokes with something better or else you're gonna have some real crabby posters ITT

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Every week I'm like "maybe Stardew this week". And every week, no Stardew. With my luck, it'll drop on the same day Odyssey does.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They will announce Stardew more than a week in advance, so there's no need to think that.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Stardew Valley is already out

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They will announce Stardew more than a week in advance, so there's no need to think that.

Yeah, they're currently consulting astrology charts to determine the precise date to release that will cause the most aggregate anguish across humanity. That sort of dedication to the Dark Arts is commendable, imo.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

HDTVs usually have 1-4 frames of input lag between what you do in the controller, and what's shown on screen. This is most noticeable in shooters, fighters, and precision platformers.
The screen on the Switch is probably as fast as a monitor (9-17ms, or 0.5-1 frame).

Fascinating! Is there any way to play on a big screen in a nice chair without lag?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

It's pretty simple really, Nintendo really doesn't want voice chat in their games (lest sensitive young ears get subjected to internet standard smack talk) but can't just admit that's the reason and can't simply ignore third parties that want the functionality. So if they make voice chat as convoluted as possible they can claim that they have voice chat like everyone else while not having to worry that anyone would actually use it.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 19, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm only going to use the phone app for splatnet2 to buy the clothes with unique abilities like they mentioned in the direct and maybe check to see what stages are available to play

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

wuggles posted:

Fascinating! Is there any way to play on a big screen in a nice chair without lag?
Get a CRT.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-FD-Trinitron-WEGA-KD-34XBR960-34-1080i-CRT-Television/48209866

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I rated this app a 2 due to the phone lock issue, but it's average rating is 4.4 with 1447 5 star reviews cause dumb fanboys.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

TFRazorsaw posted:

The "phone has to always be on" thing is a bigger deal than the "you can't switch out of the app at all" thing anyway.

i just saw this too lol

:psyduck:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will occasionally squid squad with goons and hear your nasally wheezing and bad fish puns (and let you hear mine)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Problem solved :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A good cheap small TV option for low lag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=dislag-20

You can't beat a CRT, but some flat-screens like this one come close

• Locked thread