Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I know when Stardew will be released but will only tell people through the Nintendo Voice App.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Frankston posted:

Problem solved :smug:

mods MODS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yes those do appear to be modified thumbsticks

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have a weird little iPad stand for my switch on my desk, will probably just put the voice app on my iPad and put it in the stand while i play on my tv. If it works, cool.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm only going to use the in game text chat and i'm gonna love it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

leftist heap posted:

i'm only going to use the in game text chat and i'm gonna love it

I got more cooperation with just c'mon and booyah in Splatoon 1 than anything on Xbox Live with everyone on mic.

I really like the interface of voice app but yeah, I don't think I'll be using it much.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The only in game chat should be the Phantasy Star Online image macros.

"OH YEAH!!!!" orange triangle face thumbs up

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I like nintendo's simplistic approach to online sometimes because occasionally the stuff they omit just sucks, or they leverage the limitations for some other benefit. like the last thing in the world I ever want to do is voice chat with strangers playing an online shooter, chat macros ftw. and it's a little annoying that you can't tweak your splatoon build between matches, but the flipside is that matchmaking is insanely fast because everyone comes to it with their build prepared. so if you want to tweak your build, you just exit the lobby, make your changes, and jump back in. since the matchmaking is so fast, re-entering the lobby doesn't cost you much time

granted that partying up sucks right now on nintendo games. but I'm glad that they're taking their time to consider their approach to it, rather than trying to just copy features from PSN and XBL

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

On one end party chat pretty much killed voice chat on consoles but on the other I no longer had to listen to 12 year olds scream racist screeds at me

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Spellman posted:

A good cheap small TV option for low lag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/?tag=dislag-20

You can't beat a CRT, but some flat-screens like this one come close

Thanks! This is the first time I've ever noticed it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot HD CRTs are a thing. Are they worth it? Most of them seem to be a decade+ old.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dr. VooDoo posted:

On one end party chat pretty much killed voice chat on consoles but on the other I no longer had to listen to 12 year olds scream racist screeds at me

i can't for the life of me understand why nintendo, which prides itself on a family-friendly image, doesn't want native voice chat in its cutesy squid paintball game :thunk:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should just have friends only party chat at a system level and not worry about any individual games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They should just have friends only party chat at a system level and not worry about any individual games.

This with the ability to just plug a headset into the Switch's headphone jack would honestly solve most of my issues with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Policenaut posted:

This with the ability to just plug a headset into the Switch's headphone jack would honestly solve most of my issues with it.

Or just use Bluetooth.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot HD CRTs are a thing. Are they worth it? Most of them seem to be a decade+ old.

As far as I can recall, they're the worst of both worlds as they introduce lag and also are only available for lower resolutions while still being heavy monsters.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

SeANMcBAY posted:

You'd absolutely have to find one local. I have the one I linked (don't look at the price, the thing is worth like $200 tops), and it's a 300lb beast. If you can find one local though they're great for retro gaming, but I wouldn't get too excited about playing anything modern on them cause they're incredibly blurry when it comes to small text/details compared to an LCD/LED.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was going to be clever and run an audio cable from my Switch to my PC so I could listen to voice chat and the game at the same time through my headset (I did this for the original game on the Wii U because you can set up the analog A/V port to output the audio, which I connected to my PC) but I'm getting pretty gnarly ground loop noise while docked even though I figured that the AC adapter for the Switch should be isolated. I guess I'll have to spring for an audio isolator

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

i can't for the life of me understand why nintendo, which prides itself on a family-friendly image, doesn't want native voice chat in its cutesy squid paintball game :thunk:

If only there was another solution, such as having invite only party chat on a system level. Perhaps one day in the future someone will be able to implement such a marvel.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nintendo's setup is pretty dumb.

Talking to randos in video games is really dumb.

If you're already talking to people you know online you probably have discord running already.

Basically this whole thing is a lot of dumb and kinda surprised people want to try to care this hard about exactly how dumb it all is. But nerds gonna nerd

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
loving nerds and their party chat

just get on discord

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't understand discord at all. I'm on a couple of them and I just don't get how it works on a basic level.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

HyperPuma posted:

loving nerds and their party chat

just get on discord

I'll use Discord on my computer all loving day. My hot take is its loving annoying booting up discord on my phone to play switch games when I can just use party chat on ps4.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nope

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

why would i want a chat built into the system that can easily connect me with my friends when discord is just sitting right there on another device

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

why would i want a chat built into the system that can easily connect me with my friends when discord is just sitting right there on another device

It's not any different than a lot of MMOs having built in chat that is never used. People don't wanna talk to random nerds and the in game stuff is always lacking in features.

Edit course this is from my mostly plays on a PC self

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't understand discord at all. I'm on a couple of them and I just don't get how it works on a basic level.

It's IRC meets Teamspeak with some extra bells and whistles.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

I was going to be clever and run an audio cable from my Switch to my PC so I could listen to voice chat and the game at the same time through my headset (I did this for the original game on the Wii U because you can set up the analog A/V port to output the audio, which I connected to my PC) but I'm getting pretty gnarly ground loop noise while docked even though I figured that the AC adapter for the Switch should be isolated. I guess I'll have to spring for an audio isolator

Does your TV have an audio jack? I just have my default device listen to the front mic jack on my pc which I have connected to my tv and it works great

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Edit course this is from my mostly plays on a PC self

:thunk:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wait, can you only use voice chat for private rooms in Splatoon 2?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao there is no way I'm using voice chat on an app with hella dongles.

gently caress outta here with that poo poo Nintendo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Takoluka posted:

It's IRC meets Teamspeak with some extra bells and whistles.

It's mainly the ettiquette, the time of different rooms on a discord, etc that befuddle me. "Which room should this comment go in? How do I turn on notifications for only this room? Are images or emoticons appropriate?" Etc

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's mainly the ettiquette, the time of different rooms on a discord, etc that befuddle me. "Which room should this comment go in? How do I turn on notifications for only this room? Are images or emoticons appropriate?" Etc

:yikes:

Evil Eagle posted:

Does your TV have an audio jack? I just have my default device listen to the front mic jack on my pc which I have connected to my tv and it works great

It does so I could give that a try.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You're way over-thinking it, haha. Most servers that care enough about that stuff will have a rules/announcements channel that only admins can post in, and you can read about it there. All the goon discords I'm in will freely entertain your shitposts as long as they're not already in a heated debate about MMO balancing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
At first I was kind of upset knowing the app would never make it to my Windows phone. After seeing that required setup, looks like a blessing in disguise. I would never go through all of that to voice chat even if I could on my phone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Look, while this app is obviously a poor implementation, but a lot of the criticisms about it are just completely incorrect. You available don't need any dongle unless you have to have game and voice audio both through your headphones.

The use case Nintendo likely imagined was Person A sits on couch, plays game, puts in earbuds connected to phone. Hears game through television speaker and chat through earbuds. As long as you're not wearing noise cancelling headphones there's no issue. This is the same as the experience I had on 360 except my headset was plugged into the controller.

The whole combining audio sources really becomes an issue in handheld mode if you want your system quiet. That is undoubtedly a complicated setup.

But in most circumstances it's not really complicated or the least bit confusing. It's just less desirable than having the console itself handle it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's a step up that there's any official option for voice chat at all. That said I'm just going to use Discord like I did for the first game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

katkillad2 posted:

Windows phone.

lol

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

acksplode posted:

I like nintendo's simplistic approach to online sometimes because occasionally the stuff they omit just sucks, or they leverage the limitations for some other benefit. like the last thing in the world I ever want to do is voice chat with strangers playing an online shooter, chat macros ftw. and it's a little annoying that you can't tweak your splatoon build between matches, but the flipside is that matchmaking is insanely fast because everyone comes to it with their build prepared. so if you want to tweak your build, you just exit the lobby, make your changes, and jump back in. since the matchmaking is so fast, re-entering the lobby doesn't cost you much time

granted that partying up sucks right now on nintendo games. but I'm glad that they're taking their time to consider their approach to it, rather than trying to just copy features from PSN and XBL

The weapons in the demo all seemed to be ok at both painting and splatting, which makes me glad because I didn't feel compelled to swap loadouts for the team and could just use the one I liked. Combined with what you said about getting into the game fast, the end result doesn't make me hugely miss the option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

katkillad2 posted:

At first I was kind of upset knowing the app would never make it to my Windows phone. After seeing that required setup, looks like a blessing in disguise. I would never go through all of that to voice chat even if I could on my phone.

:stare:

• Locked thread