Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

to be fair gently caress the Hasidic community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
huh, so *that's* the guy who dressed up like elmo and shouted anti-semitic stuff in the park

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Which one? As far as I know, there are quite a few, distinguished by the great Rabbi they follow. Plus, the Lithuanian/Misnagdim communities look very similar on the surface but are actually distinct.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

huh, so *that's* the guy who dressed up like elmo and shouted anti-semitic stuff in the park

Vote-for-me Elmo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the ones I lived near in Williamsburg 5 years ago were loving terrible. sexist signs posted up that women should step aside for men and my wife got sexually harassed by a few of them, including the guy who showed us our apartment who wouldn't shake her hand but was very thirsty with her on email.

she read into them and the way they treat the women in their community is godawful.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/chairsarethings/status/887385918755221505

:3: This owns.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't think El-Yateem will get the Dem nomination because Dyker Heights is the poo poo in the District 43 sandwich, but he'll do well

GalacticAcid posted:

A woman named Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is running against Crowley in the primary. It seems like she's still getting her poo poo together and I don't really know anything about her personally.
her site says "Join me if you believe healthcare and education are rights, not privileges." she's backed by Justice Democrats and was an organizer for the Bernie campaign. sounds like she's worth backing even if it'll be an uphill battle

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Which one? As far as I know, there are quite a few, distinguished by the great Rabbi they follow. Plus, the Lithuanian/Misnagdim communities look very similar on the surface but are actually distinct.
i met a non-hasidic guy who lives in Borough Park and he says that all the different hasidic communities there don't like each other. they're definitely not a unified front, but i can't hang with gender segregation and the general second-class citizen status of women (although Rachel "Ruchie" Freier is a great success story)

Matt Zerella posted:

the ones I lived near in Williamsburg 5 years ago were loving terrible. sexist signs posted up that women should step aside for men and my wife got sexually harassed by a few of them, including the guy who showed us our apartment who wouldn't shake her hand but was very thirsty with her on email.

she read into them and the way they treat the women in their community is godawful.
those are the satmars and they're the worst of the hasidic groups. a few years ago they allowed women to study at secular colleges and universities only to say "loljk" a couple years later. a group of them moved up to Rockland County because of a dispute over which brother is the legitimate leader, and they're even more theocratic than the ones in Williamsburg and Borough Park. they're hardcore enough that they oppose the existence of Israel based on religious grounds- they held an anti-Israel rally at Barclays Center a month ago

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:56 on Jul 18, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

get that OUT of my face posted:

a few years ago (((they))) allowed women to study at secular colleges and

:yikes:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

har har

for real though, the satmars are theocrats. somebody threw bleach in a rabbi's face because he was talking about child abuse that goes on there and the assaulter got no jail time

speaking of orthodox judaism, nobody's mentioned that David Greenfield isn't running for another term

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

the satmar are by far the worst but the belz and even Chabad-Lubavitch sects have their own awful practices, especially wrt children

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

a couple of months ago i was at a bar in western crown heights where a couple of chabad men were asking everyone if they were jewish. they're kinda annoying

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

speaking of orthodox judaism, nobody's mentioned that David Greenfield isn't running for another term

He is, of course, going right into grifting

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

another note about el-yateem: he's got endorsements from the New Kings Democrats and a different progressive Dem club in brooklyn, in addition to DSA. when i did petitioning, those two groups were out petitioning at the same time. there is plenty of momentum and support behind him
i know i wasn't asked so i don't have a say, but if you're a nonprofit dealing with poverty, you probably shouldn't pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to your director. this is especially true when you're dealing with a group of people in as much poverty as hasidic jews (borough park is ever-so-slightly poorer than east new york, while satmar williamsburg is the largest recipient of section 8 housing in NYC)

also greenfield is totally gonna pick a machine lackey to replace him, kms

edit: he's getting replaced by a machine lackey, but there's more to it. yeger was running against chaim deutsch in a neighboring district, due to the (almost certainly false) perception that deutsch isn't pro-israel enough. now greenfield is importing him one district away. this seems not right

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Jul 19, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

har har

for real though, the satmars are theocrats. somebody threw bleach in a rabbi's face because he was talking about child abuse that goes on there and the assaulter got no jail time

Oh I 100% agree with you, and I have read a lot about abusive NYC landlords over the years. The problem is, there is no way to criticize the overwhelmingly jewish landlords without being accused of antisemitism. Ultimately it's classism and no one is interesting in even addressing it. De Blasio campaigned on it, and promptly forgot it after his "tale of two cities" reference and his successful campaign.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The problem is, there is no way to criticize the overwhelmingly jewish landlords without being accused of antisemitism. Ultimately it's classism and no one is interesting in even addressing it. De Blasio campaigned on it, and promptly forgot it after his "tale of two cities" reference and his successful campaign.

abolish landlords, problem solved

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

abolish landlords, problem solved
landlords will be first up against the wall

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Dead Kennedy's gave us the solution to our housing troubles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its more profitable to own empty buildings instead of renting to human beings who need a home, so you shouldn't feel bad about the 100,000+ and growing homeless population in the city

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Oh I 100% agree with you, and I have read a lot about abusive NYC landlords over the years. The problem is, there is no way to criticize the overwhelmingly jewish landlords without being accused of antisemitism. Ultimately it's classism and no one is interesting in even addressing it. De Blasio campaigned on it, and promptly forgot it after his "tale of two cities" reference and his successful campaign.

Here's a thought:

Criticize landlords.

Criticize abusive Jewish theocrats.

Don't try to connect the two because they are unrelated things and trying to do so just makes you sound like a racist rear end in a top hat.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The ultraorthodox are kind of their own thing and they're pretty much all awful. But if you want to discuss them don't just say "Jewish". It's like if you were talking about the Amish, but only referred to them as "Christians".

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

its more profitable to own empty buildings
don't empty buildings, by the very nature of them having no tenants, bring in no money whatsoever? i guess slumlords and real estate developers have a lot of gently caress you money that they can afford to lose some of it while waiting for a bank or whatever to move in when the price is right and the neighborhood is ready

ideally there would be financial penalties to discourage people from abandoning properties just to get a better payday later, but REBNY and BIDs will never allow it. abandoned storefronts are piling up in a lot of cities that are getting too expensive, not just NYC. all it takes is one city for the rest of the world to say "hey we can do this too"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The ultraorthodox are kind of their own thing and they're pretty much all awful. But if you want to discuss them don't just say "Jewish". It's like if you were talking about the Amish, but only referred to them as "Christians".
yeah pretty much. i'm fine with calling them Hasidic landlords, but saying "Jewish landlords" is where you start to tread on racist territory

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There are two types of vacant buildings. One type are like the hundreds of empty storefronts you see in gentrifying neighborhoods, where the landlord doesn't want to sign a 10 year lease until he can get 10x what the previous tenant was paying. The other is the residential building that is "worth" 10's of millions of dollars that is used as nothing but a tax shelter for foreign investors. Examples of these are all the empty apartments that overlook central park, and all the "luxury" high-rise apartments that are springing up.

Different tax structures could address both of these problems, but no one who is interested in solving these problems as the power to enact those types of taxes, afaik.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

don't empty buildings, by the very nature of them having no tenants, bring in no money whatsoever? i guess slumlords and real estate developers have a lot of gently caress you money that they can afford to lose some of it while waiting for a bank or whatever to move in when the price is right and the neighborhood is ready

Could be wrong, but I think it's one of those Producers loopholes where having something that, at least on the books, loses money enables you to make even more of a profit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/NassauDSA/status/887744044943716354

Schumer and Gillibrand are cosponsors of said bill.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah I wrote both of them as soon as I saw that. Some real bullshit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Matt Zerella posted:

uhhhh how is this constitutional? I've been asking that question a lot these days so maybe I shouldn't be surprised but what the gently caress? Authoritarian is right, holy poo poo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ol Standard Retard posted:

uhhhh how is this constitutional? I've been asking that question a lot these days so maybe I shouldn't be surprised but what the gently caress? Authoritarian is right, holy poo poo.

NY Dems immediately flip hardcore right wing as soon as the word "Israel" appears.

Also they probably know it's an unconstitutional showboat piece of poo poo so why not just bank the pro-israel points and move on.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Didn't Cuomo back a similar bill at the state level a while back?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Didn't Cuomo back a similar bill at the state level a while back?

He did and it was practically aimed directly at Palestinian campus activist groups

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MizPiz posted:

Could be wrong, but I think it's one of those Producers loopholes where having something that, at least on the books, loses money enables you to make even more of a profit.

In the case of commercial real estate it's about waiting for market conditions to raise the price if your asset before locking in a long term lease.

In the case of high end residential, pies a tierre stuff, it's about locking up financial resources in an anonymously held US asset to hide them from tax authorities in other countries - NY real estate as Swiss bank account.

In the case of lower end/gentrifying properties, it's much more rare and usually comes down to something like "it's rent controlled at a rate that makes keeping the utilities on a 'loss' and they'd rather wait until they can get all the tenants off the books and tear the buiolding down than take on new tenants who will be hard to kick out.

Various tax structures can provide further incentives as the 'losses' on these properties can offset profits elsewhere to reduce liability.

Tl;dr it's about waiting for prices to go to without getting locked in to long term situations, and also about tax evasion.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Yeah I'm in.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Matt Zerella posted:

You sometimes have to wonder if zionists are intentionally trying to spread anti-Semitism.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MizPiz posted:

You sometimes have to wonder if zionists are intentionally trying to spread anti-Semitism.

:yikes:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What if I want to ban Roger Waters from Nassau Colosseum simply in the name of good taste?

(I do happen to be Jewish though. Does that make me suspect and worthy of hatred?)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I'm reading the bill summary, and I can't find where it would ban Roger Waters:

quote:

Israel Anti-Boycott Act

This bill declares that Congress: (1) opposes the United Nations Human Rights Council resolution of March 24, 2016, which urges countries to pressure companies to divest from, or break contracts with, Israel; and (2) encourages full implementation of the United States-Israel Strategic Partnership Act of 2014 through enhanced, governmentwide, coordinated U.S.-Israel scientific and technological cooperation in civilian areas.

The bill amends the Export Administration Act of 1979 to declare that it shall be U.S. policy to oppose:

requests by foreign countries to impose restrictive practices or boycotts against other countries friendly to the United States or against U.S. persons; and
restrictive trade practices or boycotts fostered or imposed by an international governmental organization, or requests to impose such practices or boycotts, against Israel.
The bill prohibits U.S. persons engaged in interstate or foreign commerce from:

requesting the imposition of any boycott by a foreign country against a country which is friendly to the United States; or
supporting any boycott fostered or imposed by an international organization, or requesting imposition of any such boycott, against Israel.
The bill amends the Export-Import Bank Act of 1945 to include as a reason for the Export-Import Bank to deny credit applications for the export of goods and services between the United States and foreign countries, opposition to policies and actions that are politically motivated and are intended to penalize or otherwise limit commercial relations specifically with citizens or residents of Israel, entities organized under the laws of Israel, or the Government of Israel.

If you look at the original law, it's all about reporting foreign government requests for boycott and not complying with them. I guess they're adding international organizations to this list, so an American company would have to report and not comply with requests from international pro-BDS organizations; except some American organizations call for BDS as well (and they're not "engaged in interstate and foreign commerce"), and Roger Waters is not a US person.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Whether it would ban roger waters or not, it's a lovely bill.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Whether it would ban roger waters or not, it's a lovely bill.

This was my original point. I don't really care about the Roger Waters concert.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/888053175155949572

who knew these things could get done so quick :shepface:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So I'm reading the bill summary, and I can't find where it would ban Roger Waters:

If you look at the original law, it's all about reporting foreign government requests for boycott and not complying with them. I guess they're adding international organizations to this list, so an American company would have to report and not comply with requests from international pro-BDS organizations; except some American organizations call for BDS as well (and they're not "engaged in interstate and foreign commerce"), and Roger Waters is not a US person.

Don't know how this will affect Roger Waters (didn't know who he was before this), but the last paragraph effectively allows the government to deny someone access to the international market because they support BDS.

hotchanie69
Jul 20, 2017

ugh

Mechafunkzilla posted:

yeah, their being "pretty much all awful" is why some of The Good Ones get faced with physical violence from enlightened citizens that are lashing out at backwards evil people, since they all look the same...

try not to assume every hasidic man is a pervert, rapist or racist until he does something to you plz and plz don't try to make hasidic women uncomfortable to laugh at what prudes they must be for not wanting you to sit too close to them like creeps do. some ppl like to whisper creepy things to frum women thinking that none of them speak english and understand what sucking dick or loving might be

i met a non-hasidic guy who lives in Borough Park and he says that all the different hasidic communities there don't like each other. they're definitely not a unified front,

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the satmar are by far the worst but the belz and even Chabad-Lubavitch sects have their own awful practices, especially wrt children

to say nothing of the loving chabad treatment of women, wow... but okay

a totally inaccurate and biased Hasidic Bullshit 101:
hasidim a mostly unified front for issues that impact the levels that they share, insofar as need for land/space and socioeconomic concerns as with with tax codes, social service funding (especially for special education).

that said:
skver and vizhnitz are the most 'extreme'/fundamentalist sects present in decent numbers in brooklyn (since Neturei Karta doesn't have a lot of numbers, still has a presence at anti-Zionist actions). satmar has the largest population between KJ, willi, BP.

upstate skverers set a man's house on fire for starting a prayer group at a nursing home, still within ideological lines of skver but not under the rebbe's direct control, and when he was getting his family out he got set on fire.

hasidim. loving. love. fire.
holiday with fire?! gently caress yeasss, burn everything!!!
holiday without fire? some rebbe at one point surely set something on fire for celebration so let's do that too! !! !

but, the kicker is:
sectarian affiliation means very little for individual behaviors unless you've got a hardcore ideologue on your hands.
our example Everyman Hasid will daven (pray) at a shul (synagogue) of one affiliation while their sons go to a secondary school of another affiliation and their daughters go to an unaffiliated secondary school and their wife sits on a parenting board affiliated with yet another sect but the Everyman still wears a hat that is associated with the rabbinical dynasty that he grew up being educated with/his (grand)father's sect so if anything the gang colors of sectarian affiliation are a better indicator of ethnic identity until further details are found out from the individuals.

but, bloc voting affiliation is determined, generally, by hat. :v:

neturei karta wear the same hats as some Satmar, but Upstate and Downstate Satmar wear different hats and have similar voting patterns due to the socioeconomic concerns of their communities, which drives taking land from surrounding communities in Bed-Stuy or in Orange/Rockland counties and rezoning land to enable building huge, ugly houses and educational complexes if they cannot take over buildings left by the former residents of the area.

belz and bobov (very, very large sects in boro park, with some representation in williamsburg) wear the same hats and can be told apart by whether the man is wearing a certain type of belt on weekdays.
there are a lot of lil podunk backwater chassidic sects that people simply assume are parts of larger ones because of the hats that the men wear.

chabad-lubavitch wear hats nothing like other hasidic sects because Chabad are essentially no longer hasidic, so much as a hasidic-derived religious community with a variety of internal sectarian divides with deepening differences, ripe for a schism or two. their Russian/Litvak origin always had them ethnically outside the bounds of normal/general hasidic communities.
also, their food simply sucks and they drink too much.

chabad are worse than other hasidim when it comes to education for their children, following the death of their Rebbe a few decades ago, with zero English education whereas yiddish-speaking hasidim will have English education prior to bar mitzvah age for the boys and longer for girls, but because there are Chabad Houses as a presence on college campuses Chabad-Lubavitch is seen as more modern and assumed to be better about education, child abuse, sexual abuse, tax fraud, social service fraud, racism (unless you know about those Crown Heights riots), and everything that outsiders generally only associate with hasidim that have long, curled sidelocks/payos.

another shity thing: Chabad also do not hold by religious law that allows people to push strollers on the sabbath and holidays, using what's called an eruv (that wire or string thing sometimes gets writen about outside of jewish communities when people complain about real estate costs). not holding by an eruv leaves their women housebound for all significant religious and social gatherings but they're women so what does chabad care when it should just be a bunch of sloppy dressed men getting drunk to celebrate The Rebbe.
lubavitchers actively vandalize the structures of other Jewish sects or communities when they are in conflict with Chabad ideology, all while presenting a happy-go-lucky "chassidus means bringing joy and light to the world !!!" public image. sometimes they hire goyim to do the vandalizing for them

satmar and lubavitch used to get into huge streetfights with each other, with dozens of men just marching to each other's hoods to start poo poo. we can only hope that such good days can come again to brooklyn!!

chabad are seen as modern because they use Instagram and are those fuckers standing around asking, "excuse me, sir, are you Jewish?", as part of their evangelical outreach programs that aim to get every Jew on board with their specific, niche ideology in order to bring about the Messianic Age (which is what those yellow flags represent). if you are a woman that responds to that kind of thing they'll offer you shabbos candles and recipes to bake bread for your husband, like a good lil wifey!! :buddy: if your gender is ambiguous and they think you are a man they will let you wrap tefillin but if they find our you "should be" a woman they will be very upset because you should be making bread and babies

in politics Chabad-Lubavitch throws money and marketing efforts into political things with the same semi lowkey sneakiness as the Mormon Church (with whom they share many commonalities, as stated with that evangelical outreach and smiley sunshine misogyny routine).

while Satmar may be much more boorish and look more alien (especially when they sexually harassing you), they want to be left the gently caress alone to LARP their fantasy version of 17th century Eastern Europe complete with wife beating and hiring exorcists through advertisements in yiddish language newspapers, where as Chabad-Lubavitch's Mendy, Menachem and Mendy want to lead you to believe that their LARP of 17th century fantasy values is somehow compatible with modern life while taking your money until they exclude you for not stepping up to their level of observance or deviating from it once you've been suckered into it. they believe, moreso that other hasidim, that the rebbe's predecessors and The Rebbe, represent the One True Judaism and that their culture is the one true way to be jewish

tl;dr = it's chabad are the truly worst but they have better marketing and act like they don't hate you, while other hasidim don't bother with pretense

satmar have done worse for the image and relationship people have w jews in NY because of things like B&H camera's racism and satmar real estate deals and satmar men beating up gay black men and leaving them blind in one eye, while on a national and global level chabad-lubavitch is far worse poo poo

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are kinda affiliated with Chabad, while there are conspiracy theories (okay... stories) about how Hillary Clinton was loving some rebbe upstate because she was friendly with upstate hasidim while campaigning on state levels and then again while trying to be president.

so, may that hopefully illustrate who the real problem is

CaptainPsyko posted:

Here's a thought:

Criticize landlords.

Criticize abusive Jewish theocrats.

Don't try to connect the two because they are unrelated things and trying to do so just makes you sound like a racist rear end in a top hat.

yeah, basically this, plz

yeah, this is going to get lovely. was hoping he'd have more class than this. :(

Agudath Israel of America has been allying with the Boyscouts of America and the Roman Catholic church to block the Child Victims Act.

sunday there is going to be a protest outside of the Novominsker Yeshiva in boro park, organized by an advovacy group called ZAAKAH. it is on FB

there are hasidic, yeshivish, and just-plain-orthodox jews that are protesting the sex abuse coverups within haredi communities (aka ultra-orthodox, the umbrella term that covers hasidic and yeshivish communities).

at the last protest a man came out to yell at the protestors and told women that they were behaving immodestly by protesting and would die within a couple of years because of such behavior...

but i can't hang with gender segregation and the general second-class citizen status of women (although Rachel "Ruchie" Freier is a great success story)
yes, a female puppet is a great stride forward for frum women! !! :v:

those are the satmars and they're the worst of the hasidic groups. a few years ago they allowed women to study at secular colleges and universities only to say "loljk" a couple years later. a group of them moved up to Rockland County because of a dispute over which brother is the legitimate leader, and they're even more theocratic than the ones in Williamsburg and Borough Park. they're hardcore enough that they oppose the existence of Israel based on religious grounds- they held an anti-Israel rally at Barclays Center a month ago

the recent rally was aimed to protest military drafts in israel that impact haredi communities (not solely Satmar), but yes, they are religious antizionists. before the rally there were trucks circling in boro bark (and i assume Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy and maybe Flatbush/midwood) announcing the rally to community members that do not follow either Satmar Twitter accounts or any of the mass-mailers, shul postings, or word of mouth about such big rallies.

hasidic groups also sometimes rent out Barclay's and CITI Field for anti-internet/anti-smartphone rallies

fyi, the location for KJ was chosen by the OG satmar rebbe, yoel teitelbaum, before his death. ahron and zalman just drew party lines that included different areas. boro park satmar are seen as less frum than williamsburg and satmar in kiryas joel/yoel are another issue, despite who they affiliate with or in spite of maybe

satmar also had the issue with women driving a few years back. williamsburg, of course. so boro park may be a little like jewish Turkey under Erdogan and the more modern young communtiies are the kurds (if the kurds could mvoe to staten island or NJ to get away from bullshit...), williamsburg wants to be saudi arabia but they;re more like UAE with their realty obsession and exploitation of foreign labor to build tacky things with no building safety standards

soon one boro park rabbi is moving, with a lot of his followers, to a small town in NJ where there is an orthodox but not hasidic community already. the jews already there are pretty upset that hasidim are moving in becuse people already there moved to NJ to get away from hasidic politics, drama and problems. the already there jews are too upset to realize that a lot of the hasidim are moving because they are sick of the same poo poo, but they all look the same so...

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hotchanie69 posted:

ugh

yeah, their being "pretty much all awful" is why some of The Good Ones get faced with physical violence from enlightened citizens that are lashing out at backwards evil people, since they all look the same...

try not to assume every hasidic man is a pervert, rapist or racist until he does something to you plz and plz don't try to make hasidic women uncomfortable to laugh at what prudes they must be for not wanting you to sit too close to them like creeps do. some ppl like to whisper creepy things to frum women thinking that none of them speak english and understand what sucking dick or loving might be

to say nothing of the loving chabad treatment of women, wow... but okay

a totally inaccurate and biased Hasidic Bullshit 101:
hasidim a mostly unified front for issues that impact the levels that they share, insofar as need for land/space and socioeconomic concerns as with with tax codes, social service funding (especially for special education).

that said:
skver and vizhnitz are the most 'extreme'/fundamentalist sects present in decent numbers in brooklyn (since Neturei Karta doesn't have a lot of numbers, still has a presence at anti-Zionist actions). satmar has the largest population between KJ, willi, BP.

upstate skverers set a man's house on fire for starting a prayer group at a nursing home, still within ideological lines of skver but not under the rebbe's direct control, and when he was getting his family out he got set on fire.

hasidim. loving. love. fire.
holiday with fire?! gently caress yeasss, burn everything!!!
holiday without fire? some rebbe at one point surely set something on fire for celebration so let's do that too! !! !

but, the kicker is:
sectarian affiliation means very little for individual behaviors unless you've got a hardcore ideologue on your hands.
our example Everyman Hasid will daven (pray) at a shul (synagogue) of one affiliation while their sons go to a secondary school of another affiliation and their daughters go to an unaffiliated secondary school and their wife sits on a parenting board affiliated with yet another sect but the Everyman still wears a hat that is associated with the rabbinical dynasty that he grew up being educated with/his (grand)father's sect so if anything the gang colors of sectarian affiliation are a better indicator of ethnic identity until further details are found out from the individuals.

but, bloc voting affiliation is determined, generally, by hat. :v:

neturei karta wear the same hats as some Satmar, but Upstate and Downstate Satmar wear different hats and have similar voting patterns due to the socioeconomic concerns of their communities, which drives taking land from surrounding communities in Bed-Stuy or in Orange/Rockland counties and rezoning land to enable building huge, ugly houses and educational complexes if they cannot take over buildings left by the former residents of the area.

belz and bobov (very, very large sects in boro park, with some representation in williamsburg) wear the same hats and can be told apart by whether the man is wearing a certain type of belt on weekdays.
there are a lot of lil podunk backwater chassidic sects that people simply assume are parts of larger ones because of the hats that the men wear.

chabad-lubavitch wear hats nothing like other hasidic sects because Chabad are essentially no longer hasidic, so much as a hasidic-derived religious community with a variety of internal sectarian divides with deepening differences, ripe for a schism or two. their Russian/Litvak origin always had them ethnically outside the bounds of normal/general hasidic communities.
also, their food simply sucks and they drink too much.

chabad are worse than other hasidim when it comes to education for their children, following the death of their Rebbe a few decades ago, with zero English education whereas yiddish-speaking hasidim will have English education prior to bar mitzvah age for the boys and longer for girls, but because there are Chabad Houses as a presence on college campuses Chabad-Lubavitch is seen as more modern and assumed to be better about education, child abuse, sexual abuse, tax fraud, social service fraud, racism (unless you know about those Crown Heights riots), and everything that outsiders generally only associate with hasidim that have long, curled sidelocks/payos.

another shity thing: Chabad also do not hold by religious law that allows people to push strollers on the sabbath and holidays, using what's called an eruv (that wire or string thing sometimes gets writen about outside of jewish communities when people complain about real estate costs). not holding by an eruv leaves their women housebound for all significant religious and social gatherings but they're women so what does chabad care when it should just be a bunch of sloppy dressed men getting drunk to celebrate The Rebbe.
lubavitchers actively vandalize the structures of other Jewish sects or communities when they are in conflict with Chabad ideology, all while presenting a happy-go-lucky "chassidus means bringing joy and light to the world !!!" public image. sometimes they hire goyim to do the vandalizing for them

satmar and lubavitch used to get into huge streetfights with each other, with dozens of men just marching to each other's hoods to start poo poo. we can only hope that such good days can come again to brooklyn!!

chabad are seen as modern because they use Instagram and are those fuckers standing around asking, "excuse me, sir, are you Jewish?", as part of their evangelical outreach programs that aim to get every Jew on board with their specific, niche ideology in order to bring about the Messianic Age (which is what those yellow flags represent). if you are a woman that responds to that kind of thing they'll offer you shabbos candles and recipes to bake bread for your husband, like a good lil wifey!! :buddy: if your gender is ambiguous and they think you are a man they will let you wrap tefillin but if they find our you "should be" a woman they will be very upset because you should be making bread and babies

in politics Chabad-Lubavitch throws money and marketing efforts into political things with the same semi lowkey sneakiness as the Mormon Church (with whom they share many commonalities, as stated with that evangelical outreach and smiley sunshine misogyny routine).

while Satmar may be much more boorish and look more alien (especially when they sexually harassing you), they want to be left the gently caress alone to LARP their fantasy version of 17th century Eastern Europe complete with wife beating and hiring exorcists through advertisements in yiddish language newspapers, where as Chabad-Lubavitch's Mendy, Menachem and Mendy want to lead you to believe that their LARP of 17th century fantasy values is somehow compatible with modern life while taking your money until they exclude you for not stepping up to their level of observance or deviating from it once you've been suckered into it. they believe, moreso that other hasidim, that the rebbe's predecessors and The Rebbe, represent the One True Judaism and that their culture is the one true way to be jewish

tl;dr = it's chabad are the truly worst but they have better marketing and act like they don't hate you, while other hasidim don't bother with pretense

satmar have done worse for the image and relationship people have w jews in NY because of things like B&H camera's racism and satmar real estate deals and satmar men beating up gay black men and leaving them blind in one eye, while on a national and global level chabad-lubavitch is far worse poo poo

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are kinda affiliated with Chabad, while there are conspiracy theories (okay... stories) about how Hillary Clinton was loving some rebbe upstate because she was friendly with upstate hasidim while campaigning on state levels and then again while trying to be president.

so, may that hopefully illustrate who the real problem is

yeah, basically this, plz

yeah, this is going to get lovely. was hoping he'd have more class than this. :(

Agudath Israel of America has been allying with the Boyscouts of America and the Roman Catholic church to block the Child Victims Act.

sunday there is going to be a protest outside of the Novominsker Yeshiva in boro park, organized by an advovacy group called ZAAKAH. it is on FB

there are hasidic, yeshivish, and just-plain-orthodox jews that are protesting the sex abuse coverups within haredi communities (aka ultra-orthodox, the umbrella term that covers hasidic and yeshivish communities).

at the last protest a man came out to yell at the protestors and told women that they were behaving immodestly by protesting and would die within a couple of years because of such behavior...

yes, a female puppet is a great stride forward for frum women! !! :v:

the recent rally was aimed to protest military drafts in israel that impact haredi communities (not solely Satmar), but yes, they are religious antizionists. before the rally there were trucks circling in boro bark (and i assume Williamsburg/Bed-Stuy and maybe Flatbush/midwood) announcing the rally to community members that do not follow either Satmar Twitter accounts or any of the mass-mailers, shul postings, or word of mouth about such big rallies.

hasidic groups also sometimes rent out Barclay's and CITI Field for anti-internet/anti-smartphone rallies

fyi, the location for KJ was chosen by the OG satmar rebbe, yoel teitelbaum, before his death. ahron and zalman just drew party lines that included different areas. boro park satmar are seen as less frum than williamsburg and satmar in kiryas joel/yoel are another issue, despite who they affiliate with or in spite of maybe

satmar also had the issue with women driving a few years back. williamsburg, of course. so boro park may be a little like jewish Turkey under Erdogan and the more modern young communtiies are the kurds (if the kurds could mvoe to staten island or NJ to get away from bullshit...), williamsburg wants to be saudi arabia but they;re more like UAE with their realty obsession and exploitation of foreign labor to build tacky things with no building safety standards

soon one boro park rabbi is moving, with a lot of his followers, to a small town in NJ where there is an orthodox but not hasidic community already. the jews already there are pretty upset that hasidim are moving in becuse people already there moved to NJ to get away from hasidic politics, drama and problems. the already there jews are too upset to realize that a lot of the hasidim are moving because they are sick of the same poo poo, but they all look the same so...

hth

:wtc: