Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Interesting that the wheels on that rally car didn't melt, since they look like alloy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd guess the heat tends to go up, and the majority of bits that are on fire are above the wheels, plus they're exposed to airflow around them - so other than the burning tyres, there isn't that much dumping heat into them.

The heat treatment's going to be totally hosed though, and it wouldn't surprise me if they're deformed pretty badly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I expect to see the wheels on craigslist in a week. "REAL RALLY WHEELS GREAT DEAL L@@K!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BobHoward posted:

Interesting that the wheels on that rally car didn't melt, since they look like alloy.

2nd to last picture, they were on their way.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BobHoward posted:

Aluminum transfers heat very quickly and 12-20lbs of aluminum has a lot of thermal mass some/most of which may be away from the fire. You end up needing to get the whole thing near the melting point.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Boogalo posted:

Have a roasted rally car. Turbo oil line failed, they popped fire retardant way too late. Cost? about $150k.

Was that the team o'neil car that caught on fire at STPR?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Finally started tearing apart the turbo Honda engine that I bought from some stoners a few years ago. Should probably start a Honda thread, but I think you'll all agree it belongs here.

The engine is a D16Y7 with a D16Y8 head on it, to give it the ancient magic of VTEC. When I bought it, it came with a good-sized storage bin worth of other turbo poo poo and have gradually taken parts off of it as it's been sitting in a tire on Slung's floor. As you can see, there's a lot to replace and change before I can put it back together and put it into my Civic.

The guys who sold it to me swore up and down that it has new Vitara pistons in it (which seems plausible) along with Eagle rods and some other stuff. Basically your average early-2000s "built D-series," though technology has moved on quite a bit since then and I understand now that the Vitara pistons are no longer the path to big power due to their low compression ratio. It has a lot of ARP fasteners which tells me whoever built it had a lot of money. Casting flash and a bunch of other little annoyances aren't really cleaned off this block, which tells me they weren't particularly detail-oriented.

Whoever built the engine dumped it on these guys because a ball joint failed on the car it was in and he decided to get rid of the entire car in one shot. It was running a Greddy e-Manage piggyback on a P2P OBD2 ECU which seems vaguely ridiculous to me. It came with a transmission of "some kind" that had a broken shift linkage attached.

There's a lot of nickle-and-dime poo poo to fix on this motor; a lot of sensors are broken. I also owe this engine a bunch of parts because when something like a reverse sensor or a vacuum plug has broken on my daily-driver D15B7 Civic I've yanked it off this engine.

Off comes the oil pan. We discovered the legend of Roddy's Copper. Big flakes :(

The turbo that came with it (a "Garrett M24" according to the housing, which means nothing) has some mild axial shaft play. There's no lateral shaft play, though I am questioning the integrity of the water seals inside the turbo. I was going to dismantle the turbo next and measure the wheels until I started looking into this motor. I'm guessing this is actually a terrible Chinacharger of some kind because there's no serial number on the housing that I could use to ask Garrett what this thing actually is.

Now is probably the right time to change all those annoying hoses on the underside of the intake manifold, huh?

Almost impossible to take a picture of this, but the cam was wiped in a few spots.

The #3 rockers were also pretty loose side-to-side, not sure if that's normal or not. I'll try rotating the engine to see if that goes away under load or if I need a new head.

The most worrying part is that when we flipped it back over and pulled the valve cover, we found a bonus head nut just lying around. I'm guessing whoever 'built' this engine lost a nut inside here and then just grabbed another one off the shelf instead of looking for it. Good thing this didn't clog an oil passage or destroy a valve spring or something.

I think for starters, I'm going to bolt this thing back up and try to do a compression test on the stand. Never done that on an engine this big before.

Not sure what the plan is here. If the rockers are hosed I'm probably going to need to pull another junkyard VTEC head and then see if I can make one good head out of the two of them.

If that copper is what I think it is, I will probably have to order a new set of rod bearings and rebuild the engine. If there's a dead hole on the compression test, though, things change.

Another option would be to write off this engine, grab an entire junkyard VTEC engine and build it right in the first place, possibly reusing some chunks from this one (rods?). Given how much rework there is in front of me, it might well be faster/better to do this, and I'd probably eclipse the "250whp" they claimed it made. Nowadays it seems like doing low 400s at the wheel is the cover price for Budget Honda Turbo Club.

A fourth, more exciting option, is to slap this thing back together with a non-cracked manifold, get a Megasquirt running it, throw it into the car and blow it to pieces.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 17, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

throw it into the car and blow it to pieces.

Are we allowed to vote on this choose your adventure?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Not really a failure, just horrible.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait what?

I really want to test drive the car and figure out what it feel like to brake.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Wait what?

I really want to test drive the car and figure out what it feel like to brake.
The slanted caliper is just Saab/Lockheed thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Captain Kosmos posted:

Not really a failure, just horrible.

I thought it was the angle-worn pads, then I noticed the nail. Captain Kosmos' post confirmed that the first part was normal (but weird.)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Donks don't drag well, do they?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure I saw wheels spacers, which answers why that happened

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Found this while looking up fake amp stuff from the other day. Guy said he wired the amp in himself, and soldered the wire.

Soldered it good.

also, tire bubble

http://i.imgur.com/v7RCO3z.mp4

The Door Frame posted:

Donks don't drag well, do they?

gifvs never seem to work for me. dropping the v or linking it as a url to mp4 usually does though.

http://i.imgur.com/3MVBhMU.mp4

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Captain Kosmos posted:

The slanted caliper is just Saab/Lockheed thing.

What in the gently caress car is this from?

It's not from the 900, I hope, since 1970 is before they were made.

:psyduck:

e: Saab 96, apparently.

:psyduck: :psyduck:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Powershift posted:

Found this while looking up fake amp stuff from the other day. Guy said he wired the amp in himself, and soldered the wire.

Soldered it good.

Well, he technically applied solder to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He just forgot to short the terminals to melt the solder into place.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

But why? I need to know!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

um excuse me posted:

Pretty sure I saw wheels spacers, which answers why that happened

Spacers put that much stress on the lugs?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So the caliper goes in crooked and then straightens out as the pads wear?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xzzy posted:

A true Saab owner. Expecting the car to create a short somewhere to solder the joint.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

Spacers put that much stress on the lugs?

My guess is the lugs ripped the thread out of the spacer since they arent meant for racing.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

um excuse me posted:

My guess is the lugs ripped the thread out of the spacer since they arent meant for racing.
That looks more like it just busted all the studs off of the hub. I've seen people toss a 5-10mm spacer on with stock lug studs, and run basically half a nuts worth of threads holding the wheels on a 400+hp turbo car. That'd be about what I'd expect to happen on a hard launch.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

um excuse me posted:

You can see one spinning around bottom right after the car lands.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

gifvs never seem to work for me. dropping the v or linking it as a url to mp4 usually does though.

FYI, you just paste the gifv link into your post without any img tags for it to embed. It won't work in the preview, but it will work in the actual post. :shrug:

Like this: http://i.imgur.com/3MVBhMU.gifv

Looks like it works with and without url tags

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

PitViper posted:

hard launch.

I'd call that a pretty hard launch. Landing probably hurt a bit too. :v:

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

:psyduck: :psyduck:

This is in 95, but pretty much every V4 Saab.

Dave Inc. posted:

But why? I need to know!
It's rotating single piston brake or something like that.

I guess it could be to compensate for the uneven wear, what was problem in early disc brakes.

Cojawfee posted:

So the caliper goes in crooked and then straightens out as the pads wear?
Yes.
Now let me show you 95 rear shock absorbers.

:shepface:

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Lever-arm shocks are not that weird, just old, they were commonly used before WWII.

For the Saab calipers, i'm guessing they used a hinge instead of a slide to move the caliper. As to why, a hinge used in tension is arguably stronger than a slide, erring on the side of caution would make sense in the early days of disk brakes.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

It would also be a very SAAB thing to do.

"Hmm this is weird and confusing but might make a marginal safety improvement? Put it in the test car and see if a moose can break it."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SCA Enthusiast posted:

It would also be a very SAAB thing to do.

"Hmm this is weird and confusing but might make a marginal safety improvement? Put it in the test car and see if a moose can break it."

The caliper bends a bit.

Saab: A complete failure, back to the drawing board.

Alfa: PERFECTO! Stronger than we expected. Ship it out.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

The caliper bends a bit.

Implying that Alfa Romeo engineers were able to make any assessment at all about the rigidity of the powdered Hematite they were looking at.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

Implying that Alfa Romeo engineers were able to make any assessment at all about the rigidity of the powdered Hematite they were looking at.

I'm not saying they knew what they were doing. I'm just saying that when they broke into the Fiat factory late at night and started pushing buttons and taking whatever parts came out, they unknowingly got a couple good ones.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

The caliper bends a bit.

And only one of those automakers is still here today. :sweden:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SCA Enthusiast posted:

And only one of those automakers is still here today. :sweden:

After Saab and Alfa shared a platform it was basically the beginning of the end. Highly educated Saab engineers had spent too long talking to their wild-eyed Italian counterparts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

xzzy posted:

It'll get there. Just wait.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

There's no lateral shaft play, though I am questioning the integrity of the water seals inside the turbo

Luckily the coolant passages are wholly integrated into the CHRA casting, they don't have any seals beyond the crush washers for the fittings.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Somebody find that axle-through-spring Mercedes suspension system. That beats the Saab for weirdness.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Kafouille posted:

Lever-arm shocks are not that weird, just old, they were commonly used before WWII.
Lever arm dampers were still pretty common on British stuff long after WW2. They do have the useful attributes that you can use them as a suspension arm themselves if you design it right, plus you can change the oil weight easily enough.

The general opinion of them as "mostly rubbish" is not in the least bit unfair, however.

It's all relative, though. Thirties/forties stuff uses friction dampers a lot. Literally discs of hardwood sandwiched between metal plates. They're not exactly high tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
MGBs used lever arm shocks into the 80s.
Austin-Healeys used them to the end of production.