Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, there's some good posts in the various reddit threads with a ton of pissed off people.

Many backers just wanted a game to fly expensive jpeg chariots in space and do rape things or whatever their kink is. But the 95% reduction of systems so Roberts can have high fidelity planets seem to have unsettled some.

The dreams of being Han Solo are slowly evaporating into being more like an episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

At least the wiki guys will have an easy job. It's not like the optimum trade pattern between 5-10 places won't be identified with 45 minutes of the thing turning on.

Oh the adventures you'll have! I hope the have traffic jams with the 8 people in the server. They almost can support as many players as they may some day have planets. This would be good because then a player can just claim the whole planet in their instance is theirs and defend it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Lladre posted:

So then the whole 258 million actual spending was just a bluff as usual?

yes it was. Dereks bluffs all day and so does CR. One of them has collected millions the other has not. You have given money to one of them. You are critical to derek but not to anyone else because you are dumb as hell.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HKS posted:

Nah my pet in Torchlight was the best. I just saw it as the first huge red flag that the project had no real direction.
Ahh okay. Back then, i think for a lot of us it was a time when anything seemed possible. We just assumed not everything would be in at launch but what was would be so fun we wouldn't even miss it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

I've been following SC again a little bit since the whole S42 being owned by the bank thing. Just wanted pop in and say DSmart's development post a few pages ago was really cool.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I know you guys like to make fun of this, but the character work here is actually a significant step up compared to System Shock 2.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Meridian posted:

Spacetoaster gets it. drat goons.

I am Derek Smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnPvbfogeSI

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

G0RF posted:

Whew!

So it took me awhile to read through all the comments about the chart on /Games. Though there were lots of crazed invocations of Derek Smart, demonizations of goons, and other overreactions, I did see a few fair criticisms that I've addressed in this latest update.

1). The inclusion of the reduction percentages was redundant. Fair enough. I deleted that.

2) Chris' quote didn't include his "I get shot for making promises but that's our goal" escape clause, the line that retroactively makes it all okay. So I included that, too.

3) I also added his mention of the 30 to 40 space stations that would be coming in 3.0. (We'll see how that turns out.)

4) I also fixed a graphical problem that had white boxes behind the Planet names in the Stanton layout.

So here's the latest version. If you're a DS lurker who feels like the last one was flawed or shortchanged Chris's quote, hopefully you might find this an improvement. I'm trying to be fair, even if stern.

I have to admit, lurking friends, some of your reactions were a little frustrating, given that I'd tried to avoid editorializing. The focus of the piece was timelines, quotes, and scopes for Star Systems in Alpha 3.0.

The accusations that the infographic was a part of some organized FUD campaign were especially ironic, given that some of you tried to preemptively trying to counter an anticipated Derek Smart tweet and in so doing ended up creating a non-paywalled source for the /Games OP to reference.

I didn't make the chart hoping for a /GAMES thread to blow up, or a MassivelyOP mention, or a psychodrama to unfold on /DS. I made it for my friends here on the forum, most of whom I haven't interacted with in a year, because organizing historical facts is something I like to do. It's clear to us by now that Chris Roberts doesn't learn from history because he keeps repeating it, so we keep discussing it, yet what I don't understand is why you keep defending it?

Surely I have my own biases, as do we all, but why rage about what strangers think on some random forum? Your recurring tendency to discount the observable past while exaggerating the imagined future produces the present tensions that discomfit you so. The relief you seek yet can't find won't come from excoriating random nobodies for discussing their opinions about troubling development issues or deceptive sales tactics. You are the publisher. The ones to whom pledges have been made for accountability and openness. You're intellectually and emotionally malnourished from the parody of it served up by a guy who believes himself accountable to no one and above all reproach. A man who hasn't once in the entire history of this project ever apologized for anything despite having either intentionally or inadvertently mislead you about matters of genuine consequence for years.

You deserve better than to be full-time apologists for that. I sincerely believe that --- why don't you?

I appreciate that infographic Gorf, it's a beautiful thing. What's missing that really gives you the insight into the staggering promises that Star Citizen makes and the tiny progress they have to show, is when you wade through their star map and add the whole universe, with all its systems, planets, moons, jump points, landing zones and other space oddities, I mean, just think about how many space stations and other points of interest are going to be created for this (which haven't really been quantified nor qualified for the whole of the universe), and how Chris R certainly pushes them to be unique enough, so that they don't feel repativive - so a lot of time is going to be dedicated on them, regardless of the procedural generation - which then really if you add up the assets and artists available, showcases that Star Citizen is going to be a generational project, that most probably/certainly is going to limit backers for a long time to Stanton.

It's clear that the comment: "artists brushing planets in a day" while certainly a statement that on it's own, might have been feasible falls apart exactly then, when it has to meet Chris Roberts level of aspiration, which while certainly yielding impressive results (that I think no one is seriously challenging), doesn't seem to be realised at a pace that has any hope in delivering a product (years and years out)... as Bear stated over and over again, CIG needed that voice that makes a sanity check and isn't shy to say no against Chris Roberts. You don't need to be Derek Smart to realise that. It's going to be interesting to follow their next Gamescom and Citizencon presentation and to watch how long that patience is going to last. But whatever, maybe Chris Roberts makes that miracle happen and pulls the universe out of his hat and shuts everyone up. (given his history after Wing Commander, that seems to be rather questionable)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

sorla78 posted:

as Bear stated over and over again, CIG needed that voice that makes a sanity check and isn't shy to say no against Chris Roberts.
Bear4theBearDog

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u0o7rUOPwTXsiEdWC7Mkr20byGC3Eze4YVl5DwWftXc/edit#gid=1189005387

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

HKS posted:

You have given money to one of them.

Swing and a miss.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Kromlech posted:

Bear4theBearDog

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sabreseven posted:

Derek, please respond to this with something like :

"Well since CR made me the bogeyman for having a negative opinion and you guys blame all of SC's problems on me... etc"

That guy is a special kind of stupid.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Kromlech posted:

Bear4theBearDog

close enough :D

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mostly Dead posted:

I think that in the timeline, you have Citizencon 2016 labeled as Citizencon 2017.

Ayya! The sad thing is that before I posted the first one in the thread, I proofed it a couple of times.

"Spent enough time on this -- needs to be perfect..."

Yet so many little errors escaped my blasted eyes. (old person sigh)

Thanks for pointing it out, though! Here's the corrected version.

sorla78 posted:

I appreciate that infographic Gorf, it's a beautiful thing. What's missing that really gives you the insight into the staggering promises that Star Citizen makes and the tiny progress they have to show, is when you wade through their star map and add the whole universe, with all its systems, planets, moons, jump points, landing zones and other space oddities, I mean, just think about how many space stations and other points of interest are going to be created for this (which haven't really been quantified nor qualified for the whole of the universe), and how Chris R certainly pushes them to be unique enough, so that they don't feel repativive - so a lot of time is going to be dedicated on them, regardless of the procedural generation - which then really if you add up the assets and artists available, showcases that Star Citizen is going to be a generational project, that most probably/certainly is going to limit backers for a long time to Stanton.

I share this dismal opinion.

In the case of the chart, I tried to stay high level for simplicity's sake. That Stanton as envisioned for 3.0 represents 0.25% of the 100 systems is only true if all the second-level assets (non-stellar objects like Stations, Cities, Bases, "the floating areas around Crusader", etc.) are complete and in Alpha 3.0. They won't be. Even with 400+ employees, fully fleshing out that single system to a level commensurate with expectations seems pretty hopeless to me, unless they mass duplicate stations and landing pads, or designate the supposedly dense-with-industry planets as unapproachable by craft.

Radical simplification of the deliverable is the only hope, and not just at the asset level. Mechanics long missing may meet similar fates, and indeed, anytime I hear talk of "emergent gameplay" from a developer, it hits with the sharp rubbered thump of a football punted from deep in the opposition's field.

Perhaps this explains CIG's cosplay ambitions?

"Do you want to Bounty Hunt in Star Citizen? Here's your costume -- let the adventure begin!"

And there you sit, in your $300 RSI Bounty Hunter outfit, contending with a crap flight mechanic and sputtering frame rates as you log in to Spectrum and search for user-generated missions awaiting completion.

"Take my Bounty Mission! Kill the troll PGabz and I will send you money by PayPal since there's no in-game transfer economy yet."

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 19, 2017

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
omg that thing is so cute and i want to hug the poo poo out of it!!!

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

g0rf your image was on /v and it gathered some 300 replies before being removed by a mod. Now they are talking about the mod being a citizen. good work. Also I do love every single person in here dumb as hell or not. I am just getting very triggered today. I think I have somehow revisited the anger stage.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

HKS posted:

g0rf your image was on /v and it gathered some 300 replies before being removed by a mod. Now they are talking about the mod being a citizen. good work. Also I do love every single person in here dumb as hell or not. I am just getting very triggered today. I think I have somehow revisited the anger stage.

Why are you angry?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

Fear Uncertainty and Doubt.

A term originally coined by a formed IBM engineer who had started his own competing company, which IBM tried to combat by seeding exactly that among potential customers by suggesting that “yeah, that clone is neat, but you know, we'll be releasing [important IBM hardware or software update] soon, and it's quite possible that it won't be compatible any more, sooooo…”.

Basically, a strategy of making a particular product pick less enticing by inventing a hypothetical risk based on some imagined future, thereby steering those customers towards your own “safe” alternative.

Also an important distinction is that this happens on a corporate level to another corporation.

This isn't because you get bad press on an Amazon review, or your own customers hate your product because it sucks. CIG has literally transferred the prerogative of handling their customers like a normal company into treating them like hostile companies out to stop them.

And somehow backers are ok with being treated like literal poo poo the moment they dare to ask a question that's not flowers and roses. Of course CIG has also made this very event very hard now by also shutting down their public internet facing forums.

The only thing they really want is your money. They'll lie to get it too. :(

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
SC backers be like

http://i.imgur.com/h219DI7.gifv

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

Actually the Allegory of the Cave explains a lot about this whole thing.

I'm sure this must have been posted here before no?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

MedicineHut posted:

I'm sure this must have been posted here before no?

:drat:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bubbacub posted:

I know you guys like to make fun of this, but the character work here is actually a significant step up compared to System Shock 2.
"When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. And 3.2 will be released two weeks after that, I promise" -- Chris Roberts

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

That guy is a special kind of stupid.

I wonder what Crymellons response to that will be :D

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Why are you angry?

It's something homo like I can't stand the citizens not standing up for themselves so I am getting mad FOR them, while being mad AT them at the same time because it's hard to separate.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

G0RF posted:

Ayya! The sad thing is that before I posted the first one in the thread, I proofed it a couple of times.

"Spent enough time on this -- needs to be perfect..."

Yet so many little errors escaped my blasted eyes. (old person sigh)

Thanks for pointing it out, though! Here's the corrected version.

Your timeline is missing that procgen planets were announced in February 2014, demoed in the 2015 Holiday stream, and then announced as 2.7 in a July 2016 German magazine.

German 2.7 promises posted:

They say the new lighting system as part of the procedural planets build looks much more natural.

They say that approaching the planet looks and technically feels better than with Elite Dangerous.

You can land anywhere manually, automatic landing gets you to fixed positions i.e. landing zones.

Microtech and Hurston come in follow-up patches after 2.7

They aim to have Stanton fully playable i.e. with all stations and landing zones (according to CR about 40 locations) by end of 2016

There will be more jobs and missions as well.

Trading will be in by then

Chris describing that missions accepted up in space stations could lead you eventually down to planet surfaces, not clear if this is going to be in with 2.7 but seemingly something SQ42 will benefit from.

Planets and moons are revolving around suns, with naturally simulated day and night cycles.

When flying over the ocean they were noticing that the horizon had a correctly simulated curve.

Trees and Animals seemingly are planned (edit: doesn’t seem to be in with 2.7, sorry) – they have them seemingly setup in pre-made templates they call eco-systems – these can be brushed over the planet surface, some magic blends the transitions to make it look naturally and consistent.

Planetary surface and topograhy details are controlled by a dynamical LOD system.

Some pop-up was visible during the planetary approach but they described it as impressive regardless.

They were also impressed with the cloud system, which wasn’t just a simple texture layer but seemingly is described what I assume would be volumetric, i.e. they have deepth and height and impact visibility, leading to mountain crests piercing through clouds and valleys being covered.

They are writing that there isn’t any artificially restricted view range, visibility is rather a result from the volumetric calculation of the athmosphere.
Parallax-Occlusion maps with dynamic tessellation is used for the surface details.

GTX 980 was used with 100 fps on the planetary surface, so performance seems to be pretty good already, sorry, that was just editor performance – in-game performance was 45fps 🙂

Some stuff about the subsumption-AI saying NPCs might have hobbies and a virtual mind, allowing them to remember the player or be influenced in his opinions by the player. To avoid performance issues, they seemingly control the update cycles for NPC AI based on player proximitiy i.e. update cycles go to 1hz instead of 60hz if no one is around.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

I still can't imagine how they got it to look so washed out and early 2000's in its visual fidelity

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lladre posted:

So then the whole 258 million actual spending was just a bluff as usual?

lol

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

I wonder what Crymellons response to that will be :D
I'm sure it'll be extremely calm and measured.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Thread is good again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

HKS posted:

It's something homo like I can't stand the citizens not standing up for themselves so I am getting mad FOR them, while being mad AT them at the same time because it's hard to separate.

Everyone charts their own course. In the end we all make all of our own decisions. Some see the light, some die on the hill.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

CIG has literally transferred the prerogative of handling their customers like a normal company into treating them like hostile companies out to stop them.

This one small sentence perfectly sums up the underlying reason I'm so loving disgusted with CIG, while simultaneously being completely flabbergasted that the gaming community - the loving gaming community - the one community most likely to immediately immolate anyone who delivers even one pixel less than promised, has given a free pass to a man with a documented history of failing in this exact endeavor, in this exact way, repeatedly.

CIG is openly scamming their backers. They're not trying to slip things under the radar; their contempt and hostility is open and visible from any distance. And the very same gamers who think they're tough mother-fuckers who take no poo poo from anyone, all simultaneously bend over and beg Chris Roberts, history's most notorious non-developer, to shove it up their asses just a little bit deeper - they can almost feel the fidelity in the backs of their throats.

And they're paying to get treated like this. It's like a virtual S&M encounter, set against the backdrop of a "game development company."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Whew!

So it took me awhile to read through all the comments about the chart on /Games. Though there were lots of crazed invocations of Derek Smart, demonizations of goons, and other overreactions, I did see a few fair criticisms that I've addressed in this latest update.

1). The inclusion of the reduction percentages was redundant. Fair enough. I deleted that.

2) Chris' quote didn't include his "I get shot for making promises but that's our goal" escape clause, the line that retroactively makes it all okay. So I included that, too.

3) I also added his mention of the 30 to 40 space stations that would be coming in 3.0. (We'll see how that turns out.)

4) I also fixed a graphical problem that had white boxes behind the Planet names in the Stanton layout.

So here's the latest version. If you're a DS lurker who feels like the last one was flawed or shortchanged Chris's quote, hopefully you might find this an improvement. I'm trying to be fair, even if stern.

I have to admit, lurking friends, some of your reactions were a little frustrating, given that I'd tried to avoid editorializing. The focus of the piece was timelines, quotes, and scopes for Star Systems in Alpha 3.0.

The accusations that the infographic was a part of some organized FUD campaign were especially ironic, given that some of you tried to preemptively trying to counter an anticipated Derek Smart tweet and in so doing ended up creating a non-paywalled source for the /Games OP to reference.

I didn't make the chart hoping for a /GAMES thread to blow up, or a MassivelyOP mention, or a psychodrama to unfold on /DS. I made it for my friends here on the forum, most of whom I haven't interacted with in a year, because organizing historical facts is something I like to do. It's clear to us by now that Chris Roberts doesn't learn from history because he keeps repeating it, so we keep discussing it, yet what I don't understand is why you keep defending it?

Surely I have my own biases, as do we all, but why rage about what strangers think on some random forum? Your recurring tendency to discount the observable past while exaggerating the imagined future produces the present tensions that discomfit you so. The relief you seek yet can't find won't come from excoriating random nobodies for discussing their opinions about troubling development issues or deceptive sales tactics. You are the publisher. The ones to whom pledges have been made for accountability and openness. You're intellectually and emotionally malnourished from the parody of it served up by a guy who believes himself accountable to no one and above all reproach. A man who hasn't once in the entire history of this project ever apologized for anything despite having either intentionally or inadvertently mislead you about matters of genuine consequence for years.

You deserve better than to be full-time apologists for that. I sincerely believe that --- why don't you?

:perfect:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

And they're paying to get treated like this. It's like a virtual S&M encounter, set against the backdrop of a "game development company."

Yes it is fairly blatant.

Has anyone filed a FTC complaint with these transgressions of deceptive marketing?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Has anyone filed a FTC complaint with these transgressions of deceptive marketing?

LOL please - my stomach already hurts from earlier comments. I can't take much more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL please - my stomach already hurts from earlier comments. I can't take much more.

Holy christ you turned out a reply within 30 seconds.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the thought of someone going into actual IRL maniacal laughter after reading a dissenting opinion

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

You know they'd have MoMA Toast bat it down with his expert legal Kung Fu in an instant. No point in trying, CIG is ironclad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

bszstj\zdztjdzjdjxdthftdjtgdtjdyjst

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Holy christ you turned out a reply within 30 seconds.

Coffee break time = p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

You know they'd have MoMA Toast bat it down with his expert legal Kung Fu in an instant. No point in trying, CIG is ironclad.

His ping times when posting his replies are better than Star Marine.