Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:rip: Nintendo Switch 2017-2017 :rip:

Killed by a phone app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

At first I was afraid, I was petrified,
but then I noticed Windows Phone had no app in sight.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Windows....phone?

*opens dictionary and digs through the W pages*

Ah here it is "See useless garbage"

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Healbot posted:

At first I was afraid, I was petrified,
but then I noticed Windows Phone had no app in sight.

You'll survive.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They will announce Stardew more than a week in advance, so there's no need to think that.
but my torment will not end until it is announced

and then it will probably continue until it is out

so really what I'm saying is they can cause me pain twice :shepicide:

(but not really because Mario X Rabbids comes out late August so I'll have another game for my dead gay console)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PC gaming? Windows phones? No Stardew Valley?

Truly, this thread is in the darkest timeline.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mostly I think it's fine that Nintendo does not want to go to the full online community bullshit, it is almost invariably terrible and unfun to have the feature of people screaming at you (really not what Nintendo is about in my mind). The phone app thing mostly seems a super-weird distraction that I also don't want.

I guess it is a reaction to reviewers endlessly going on about the lackluster online experience Nintendo offers, but, really, if they paid attention to reviewers they would have been making free to play iphone games exclusively for ten full years by now.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

PC gaming? Windows phones? No Stardew Valley?

Truly, this thread is in the darkest timeline.

Nah, the darkest timeline is the one where Monster Hunter 4 is a PS4 exclusive, Metroid Prime: Scar the next Metroid, and Overwatch is confirmed for Switch

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That right there is a photo of a man regretting his choice of career and life decisions leading up to that moment.

:agreed: No man should ever grow up to be a Dodger

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The only thing I like about the App is that it seems that I can invite my friends to come play Splatoon 2, even if they are not online with their Switch. This poo poo probably already exists for XBLive or PSPlus, but I like the concept of getting a notification that my friend wants to play together.

Other than that, it's all garbage. The voice chat should all be done at the system level.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Amazon.ca emailed to tell me my Splatoon 2 preorder will arrive between July 26- 28 wtf?

gently caress Amazon Prime!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Amazon emailed me today to tell me I have release day delivery

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've seen a lot of Amazon bitching in the switch threads, its starting to seem like they shouldn't be the first choice for launch day stuff.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
If your woke enough to not buy solatoon 2 you don't need to worry about any shipping at all.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Actually I worked really hard on this thread and it's a good thread for good boys and girls and squids.

You're all right, OP, it's not your fault people apparently turn into complete idiots when they go to post about their favourite new Nintendos.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

has anyone here tried the voez port on switch? how good are the switch's screen digitizers and audio latency?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

I've seen a lot of Amazon bitching in the switch threads, its starting to seem like they shouldn't be the first choice for launch day stuff.

I had Amazon ship me 6 smashed packages last week with prime.

If it fits in a bubble mailer from now on I'm just not going to bother.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think I've laughed out loud at a single emote reply that loud in quite a while.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Housh posted:

Amazon.ca emailed to tell me my Splatoon 2 preorder will arrive between July 26- 28 wtf?

gently caress Amazon Prime!

Amazon Canada is pretty slow in general

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I had a dream that stardew valley was coming out Friday. Then I woke up, and was sad. 😥

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Other than that, it's all garbage. The voice chat should all be done at the system level.

Did anyone use the Wii Animal Crossing's mic?
Or the voice chat feature in Pokemon?
I'm thinking maybe that's why Nintedon't give a poo poo about it.

I haven't used voice chat since FFXI.

I don't like voice because it means dealing with real live people as opposed to pretending they're all Animal Crossing denizens with
their video game concerns.

Douglas Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 19, 2017

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Did anyone use the Wii Animal Crossing's mic?
Or the voice chat feature in Pokemon?
I'm thinking maybe that's why Nintedon't give a poo poo about it.

I haven't used voice chat since FFXI.

I don't like voice because it means dealing with real live people as opposed to pretending they're all Animal Crossing denizens with
their video game concerns.

people use voice chat in video games in 2017 hth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Amazon hasn't e-mailed me because I'm buying it digital.

And by it I mean Stardew Valley.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

pissdude posted:

people use voice chat in video games in 2017 hth

I get that, but how critical is voice to Nintendo's user base?
Beyond Splatoon and maybe XCX, I can't think of too many NIPs that would benefit from voice.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Beyond Splatoon and maybe XCX, I can't think of too many NIPs that would benefit from voice.

it has not been, previously, because there weren't any games that allowed for it really. there have been plenty of online multiplayer games on nintendo systems where proper implementation of it would have been welcome, however

hell, i used teamspeak while playing monster hunter tri back on the Wii with goons and while it worked well i think it's pretty obvious that a system level voice chat solution would be more than welcome and very used.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Even better than voicechat? Voicechat that turns everything into unintelligible squid language. You can hear they're very angry at you for picking the weapon they don't think you should have, but all you hear is BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Monster Hunter

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Actually Stardew Valley is now exclusive to Windows Phone

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anidav posted:

Actually Stardew Valley is now exclusive to Windows Phone

:oh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

bandaid.friend posted:

Even better than voicechat? Voicechat that turns everything into unintelligible squid language. You can hear they're very angry at you for picking the weapon they don't think you should have, but all you hear is BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB

Voice chat would be fantastic if it translated all speech into squid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Monster Hunter player communication should be limited to emotes and pings as god intended.

Also World isn't coming to the Switch which makes it unlikely future entries are.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

That's Capcom, but absolutely, for online play voicechat would be critical.

But including Splatoon and XCX, that's three franchises in Nintendoverse that would benefit from voice.
Out of all the NIPs, that's not very many.
I'm suspecting that's why system-level voice isn't of huge importance to Nintendo and their 20th century ways.

Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to voicechat; it's not important to me personally.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zore posted:

Monster Hunter player communication should be limited to emotes and pings as god intended.

Also World isn't coming to the Switch which makes it unlikely future entries are.

MonHun XX is getting Switch'd

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Improbable Lobster posted:

MonHun XX is getting Switch'd

:oh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My power has been SWITCHED off because of a brownout yet here I am playing my video games still. The Switch is Good

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No more bulky headsets or bulky UIs.

Just switch on your iPhone, spend 2 gold coins to create a room and chat with your friends on loudspeaker.

From there you can exchange strategies for Fire Emblem Heroes or Super Mario Run and even discuss Splatoon 2.

The best part of all is that you don't have to buy a 300 dollar headset to enjoy talking to your friends. All you need is the device everyone else already has, a Smart phone. Here at Nintendo we are all about removing barriers of entry so that everyone can play.

Nintendo hire me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Slapt2n just shipped!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYtBLcw08_s

*thumbs up emoji*

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

lmfao it's 15 loving minutes long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Look, while this app is obviously a poor implementation, but a lot of the criticisms about it are just completely incorrect. You available don't need any dongle unless you have to have game and voice audio both through your headphones.

The use case Nintendo likely imagined was Person A sits on couch, plays game, puts in earbuds connected to phone. Hears game through television speaker and chat through earbuds. As long as you're not wearing noise cancelling headphones there's no issue. This is the same as the experience I had on 360 except my headset was plugged into the controller.

The whole combining audio sources really becomes an issue in handheld mode if you want your system quiet. That is undoubtedly a complicated setup.

But in most circumstances it's not really complicated or the least bit confusing. It's just less desirable than having the console itself handle it.

But if you need your system quiet, you're probably not going to be in voice chat, since your loud goony voice would be cracking ear drums all around you anyway. Right?

• Locked thread