Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
just play if u want to or don't who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not trying to diminish their accomplishments or say it's impossible. People with disabilities aren't interchangeable.

Come on guys, I've admitted you're right about things. At this point I'm just trying to clarify my situation and contribute to the discussion about how these games can reach people better without changing what they are.

It's fine, I think we all understand your point. There's some good discussion to be had about accessibility in fighting games but I think people are snappy because we've had those discussions before. After a while all we can say is "you have to put some effort in and it kinda sucks stuff is obscured, but it is what it is even if the games were better about tutorializing/simplifying concepts". It's really not that hard to become better than the average scrub at fighting games if you legit try, but not everyone enjoys that process and that's fine too. The only way you'll find out if you do is by playing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TFRazorsaw posted:

I see your point. But I would like to stress one thing - I've never felt like I've had all the answers, and my frustration comes from the fact that many of these games feel designed in a way that makes getting there feel like it's more difficult than it should be.

I'll see what I can pick up. I'm sorry I spoke of things so bluntly. It's just frustrating, especially when some people effectively gave me the reply of "you should just try harder".

People definitely have different learning styles, and the ways that fighting game designers expected people to learn poo poo before may not have been for you. I know they weren't for me, and it's actually much easier in this era with tons of YouTube guides for every game. Even just being able to watch commentated high-level play is a great learning aid.

Like, there are definitely a bunch of people who say "Just keep playing and you'll learn" when that is only part of the story. As a kid I played dozens or even hundreds of hours of fighting games, including SFII, MK4, and Soul Edge and SoulCalibur. I don't think I learned very much from those because I learn better with a very structured plan, and just randomly fighting with friends isn't very structured. I remember playing with a friend who would do nothing but spam teleport punch as Scorpion, and I never learned how to deal with that. Like, literally never, one session involved him doing nothing but that for fifteen games and I lost every time. But with Injustice 2, I watched a video guide for Supergirl (who has the same move) and I learned the properties of that move and because I understood how other mechanics of the game worked, I can reasonably deal with it now. Another example, maybe back then I implicitly picked up the concept of frame advantage, but it wasn't until I read someone explicitly explain it that I could internalize that as an aspect of the match and think tactically about how different move choices would play into that.

Speaking of which, if you learn better from reading things, I found this guide really helpful: From Masher to Master: The Educated Video Game Enthusiast’s Fighting Game Primer. It lays out the basics of fighting game theory that apply to almost every game in the genre

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Don't worry about accessibility. If you find a game that is fun you will want to play and learn it, regardless of how "accessible" it is.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

I posted this in another thread already but here:

I actually agree w/ this, people worry more than they should about what the Best First Game is, and it doesn't really matter as long as you don't puss out when you find out you're bad at fgs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The solution here is to actively seek out people who are just as "bad" at the game as you and playing against them a lot. The online mode of any actually populated fighting game is a fuuuuuucking shark tank no matter where you go and makes even people without autism feel like they're terrible at the game. That happens in literally every pvp fighter I've ever played online and off no matter how simple it is (hi divekick).

You guys have any suggestions of how to do this? In Guilty Gear I'm getting kinda bored playing against the CPU at max settings and only know one other guy who's really into FGs, so I'd love to play some games against goons of all skill levels.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like, there are definitely a bunch of people who say "Just keep playing and you'll learn" when that is only part of the story. As a kid I played dozens or even hundreds of hours of fighting games, including SFII, MK4, and Soul Edge and SoulCalibur. I don't think I learned very much from those because I learn better with a very structured plan, and just randomly fighting with friends isn't very structured. I remember playing with a friend who would do nothing but spam teleport punch as Scorpion, and I never learned how to deal with that. Like, literally never, one session involved him doing nothing but that for fifteen games and I lost every time. But with Injustice 2, I watched a video guide for Supergirl (who has the same move) and I learned the properties of that move and because I understood how other mechanics of the game worked, I can reasonably deal with it now. Another example, maybe back then I implicitly picked up the concept of frame advantage, but it wasn't until I read someone explicitly explain it that I could internalize that as an aspect of the match and think tactically about how different move choices would play into that.

This 'keep playing and you'll learn' gets to be a very hard mentality to break. I have a friend who as of right now has 2,718 hours in Dota 2. If you ask him he''d tell you he's very, very good at Dota 2 because he's played so much.

His MMR is around 450 or something. That's like...bottom 1% of all people ever bad. Like, set one of those drinking birds on your keyboard and it would be about the same level of play bad.

Practicing something a bunch, but practicing it wrong at best doesn't help and at worst reinforces bad habits.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys have any suggestions of how to do this? In Guilty Gear I'm getting kinda bored playing against the CPU at max settings and only know one other guy who's really into FGs, so I'd love to play some games against goons of all skill levels.

:siren: Join the goon Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/0wBmC7rtxZPBgPkW :siren:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
GG players in Discord range from "okay" to being Bears who just barely missed placing top 8 at Evo this year. Even if someone is better than you, they will be way more helpful than fighting some rando in Ranked would be.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Don't worry about accessibility. If you find a game that is fun you will want to play and learn it, regardless of how "accessible" it is.

Its this.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

This 'keep playing and you'll learn' gets to be a very hard mentality to break. I have a friend who as of right now has 2,718 hours in Dota 2. If you ask him he''d tell you he's very, very good at Dota 2 because he's played so much.

His MMR is around 450 or something. That's like...bottom 1% of all people ever bad. Like, set one of those drinking birds on your keyboard and it would be about the same level of play bad.

Practicing something a bunch, but practicing it wrong at best doesn't help and at worst reinforces bad habits.

It's possible to play a ton without getting good, but you cannot get good without playing a ton.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I'm not sure smash is a good example of a game that is easy to get into.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

its easy to get into if you play it the way god intended, as a four player party game with random stage select and items

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Smash Bros is a children's game, of course it's easy to get into!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I used to work at an office where we would all play Fusion Frenzy on an xbox during our lunch break and after a few years it got extremely competitive and we started creating strategies and counter strategies and counter counter strategies that I doubt the devs ever intended.

For a short while there I totally understood the Smash mindset.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The most fundamental thing to learn when you start playing any of the Smash games is probably how to attack safely while moving. When you start out you probably end up doing a lot of dash attacks and raw smash attacks and then you figure out how to use tilts and aerials and you get to your movement and then begin your descent down the rabbit hole.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Same

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Reiley posted:

The most fundamental thing to learn when you start playing any of the Smash games is probably how to attack safely while moving. When you start out you probably end up doing a lot of dash attacks and raw smash attacks and then you figure out how to use tilts and aerials and you get to your movement and then begin your descent down the rabbit hole.

Yeah, not using tilts is like playing Street Fighter and never hitting the medium punch/kick buttons. Smash is weird in that instead of three buttons for light/medium/heavy it's all one button but what you're doing with the control stick determines the speed/strength of the attack, which is demonstrated the most literally with Ryu being in Smash 4 and his light/medium/heavy normals in SF are more or less his neutral/tilt/smash attacks.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Xad posted:

Yeah, not using tilts is like playing Street Fighter and never hitting the medium punch/kick buttons. Smash is weird in that instead of three buttons for light/medium/heavy it's all one button but what you're doing with the control stick determines the speed/strength of the attack, which is demonstrated the most literally with Ryu being in Smash 4 and his light/medium/heavy normals in SF are more or less his neutral/tilt/smash attacks.

Ryu actually has two levels of tilt depending on whether you tap & release the attack button or hold it beyond a threshold, and that's where his light/medium attacks come from. Like low short/forward are both dtilt and which one you get is determined by when you let go of the button. Smash attacks happen when you input a direction and attack at nearly the same time but you can work around this by rolling the stick into position (i.e. 896A for ftilt), keeping the stick tilted in a non-gate touching position (hence the name "tilts") or buffering the stick position change inside another action like a fastfall aerial to get around accidentally inputting a smash attack, which are generally not safe on block.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reiley posted:

Ryu actually has two levels of tilt depending on whether you tap & release the attack button or hold it beyond a threshold, and that's where his light/medium attacks come from. Like low short/forward are both dtilt and which one you get is determined by when you let go of the button. Smash attacks happen when you input a direction and attack at nearly the same time but you can work around this by rolling the stick into position (i.e. 896A for ftilt), keeping the stick tilted in a non-gate touching position (hence the name "tilts") or buffering the stick position change inside another action like a fastfall aerial to get around accidentally inputting a smash attack, which are generally not safe on block.

How do smash people do Ryu's notations in Smash 4 since its all analog input.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In Training posted:

How do smash people do Ryu's notations in Smash 4 since its all analog input.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Ryu "True" means you do the inputs i.e. "true shoryuken", which you generally never don't do.

vvv Defense is a commitment in Smash, it isn't the default you assume when you're not pressing a button or walking forward. There's a minimum 18 frame duration when you press shield before you can act again and you can only use moves you can jumpcancel (i.e. only specials or aerials) out of shield, which have between 4 and 7 jumpsquat frames added onto the front of them before they come out. If you block an attack in a three-frame window you can instant block and act immediately, but otherwise shield drop is seven frames and each attack has its own amount of blockstun (attacks with electric property do 150% blockstun), which if its lower than shield drop will free you sooner, so if you want to block and then attack with a tilt or a smash attack you need to account for your shield drop frames, which if baited someone can easily punish with a dash grab. If you demonstrate a shield habit you can get punished for it very hard.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 19, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the thing about smash is that defensive options in the game are loving oppressive, but most of them are also extremely non-obvious.

Once someone does figure out how to use their spot dodges, or the big one, shield grab, the way people have to approach offense has to grow past the immediately obvious for offense to work AT ALL.

but most people never evolve past trying to roll dodge behind the other player.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I think we're also running into a semantic problem of what it is to 'learn' a game or feel fluent at it. Some games are such that at a basic level, you can feel Feeling like they are 'getting good' at a game, like executing the moves, etc (ie, what CApcom's design desicisons around SFIV input leniency was trying to achieve, letting people feel like they're playing 'the real game' and throwing fireballs, etc)

But there's a wide gulf between that and playing at a remotely competitive level.

MvC2 is a game where if you are playing with also-new friends, you can really quickly be going all kinds of cool looking poo poo. I'm guessing (as someone who only played it casually when it was NEW on the gamecube) Smash also manages this, where people feel like they've 'learned' it.

But in both of these, you're not even 1% of the way to competitive play, if that game has a remotely competitive scene. Most of these games have a high enough skill ceiling that after a few months, you'd be able to utterly destroy a new player without even trying, but playing against the 'best' players for that game would probably brutalize you at LEAST that badly.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
depending on the game and how poo poo its netcode and matchmaking is, I'd wager you could split it up into various categories:

when they can beat the single player content
when they can beat friends / casual locals
when they can beat people they get matched up against online

while I think guilty gear has done a really nice job with its tutorials and challenges I think its failings are that it provides access to all of them at once

a layperson quickly gets overwhelmed by the advanced tutorials or the harder challenges cause the game sets the expectation that this is all day 1~7 stuff when it's more like day 100 or more

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 19, 2017

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which of these games is the best?

Fatal Fury Special
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 98
King of Fighters 99

I'm late to this but the correct answer is KOF98...

...but I love KOF99 more.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm late to this but the correct answer is KOF98...

...but I love KOF99 more.

99 has the best soundtrack, roster, & stages.

it's just too bad it plays like rear end.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ryoga posted:

99 has the best soundtrack, roster, & stages.

it's just too bad it plays like rear end.

Quite possibly the best fighting game stage ever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fatal Fury Special
King of Fighters 98
King of Fighters 99

98 is the best game mechanically, but Garou will always have a place in my heart because it is SNK at its artistic zenith. Character design, art, animation, and soundtrack all came together to create a beautiful game.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fatal Fury Special
King of Fighters 98
King of Fighters 99

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
What the ficn

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Well, I didn't want to pull out the big guns in my opening argument, but there you have it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kushnood butt is a proud cool name

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

Kushnood butt is a proud cool name

the translators knew exactly what they were doing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the arika game's deck system looks loving amazing. in the real game i think you can choose any five you want, or maybe they will have a cost allowance on them or something, but now they are in set decks with names like shinobi, and aggro.

about half your deck is just buffs like land 10 attacks and get 30% boost to meter growth, etc. and there's synergies like you can pair meter growth with a 15% damage boost that triggers when you get a bar of meter and so forth

the really cool one though are the ability cards. Right now here are the effects on the dev created deck classes:

Aggro: damage increases the more you attack, you can burst once a round after taking 300 damage to escape combos
juggernaut: gain super armor after 300 damage, land 4 hard attacks to give hard attacks guard break
infinity: use 7 meter bars to gain infinite meter, guard 30 attacks to cancel a guard into a super or special
shinobi: go untouched for 6 seconds to gain invisible dashes, guard break and cancel as above
miracle: gain all other abilities above except invisible dashes if you have full meter for 20 secs

im hype

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

the arika game's deck system looks loving amazing. in the real game i think you can choose any five you want, or maybe they will have a cost allowance on them or something, but now they are in set decks with names like shinobi, and aggro.

about half your deck is just buffs like land 10 attacks and get 30% boost to meter growth, etc. and there's synergies like you can pair meter growth with a 15% damage boost that triggers when you get a bar of meter and so forth

the really cool one though are the ability cards. Right now here are the effects on the dev created deck classes:

Aggro: damage increases the more you attack, you can burst once a round after taking 300 damage to escape combos
juggernaut: gain super armor after 300 damage, land 4 hard attacks to give hard attacks guard break
infinity: use 7 meter bars to gain infinite meter, guard 30 attacks to cancel a guard into a super or special
shinobi: go untouched for 6 seconds to gain invisible dashes, guard break and cancel as above
miracle: gain all other abilities above except invisible dashes if you have full meter for 20 secs

im hype

the GOUGIsystem

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dias posted:

the GOUGIsystem

We just need akuma to show up in another game and we can call it the Gouki system

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
people are comparing to to xtrekken gems but the key difference is that for the most part the effects are permanant so they're an actual tactical advantage, the ones that aren't just buffs are actually really interesting abilities and not just autoblock or something and also it doesn't make your character a neon looking piece of poo poo

i'm stoked to play kairi in a game in 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It reminds me of Hearthstone Quest Cards, to be honest. I'm just afraid there's gonna be a "solved" system eventually, but I guess that just means the system is redundant as long as it's not something waaay too toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
They also seem to still be in the "trying a bunch of poo poo out" phase because the first showing of the game had a homing jump and sidesteps and those were gone at evo.