Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sonic Boom is a song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Larryb posted:

Boom is a crappy cash-in designed to promote the cartoon of the same name and wasn't even made by Sega. I don't feel like it should be counted as a mainline Sonic game. Lost World was mediocre at worst.
It's a Sonic game. It made him bad again.

Evil Eagle posted:

Sonic Boom is a song

Hear the song of Sonic Boom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMIYm3KJnU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Even if you discount Sonic Boom, you still have Sonic Lost World immediately before it, which, frankly, isn't very good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lost world is very bad

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You goons are triggering me something awful with all these references to fictional bad games.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

You goons are triggering me something awful with all these references to fictional bad games.

It's okay though cause Sonic Mania is bringing back good Sonic!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zelder posted:

Lost world is very bad

Mostly due to the fact it doesn't really do a good job explaining anything regards to the controls. And yet, the 3DS version somehow manages to be even worse by having you stop and do slow, monotonous puzzles in order to progress on occasion (and the normal levels aren't all that fun to play either), not to mention the crappy Special Stages that are controlled exclusively with the gyroscope.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You pretty much have to either stand up and spin around or be in a spinner chair to play the lost World 3ds special stages.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Golden Goat posted:

It's okay though cause Sonic Mania is bringing back good Sonic!

I don't think it's going to be very good.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't think it's going to be very good.

Then Sonic is lost to you and has never been good and never will be.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Golden Goat posted:

Then Sonic is lost to you and has never been good and never will be.

Nah, Forces probably won't be too terrible, and the next game will most likely be all new levels instead of riding the nostalgia pony. Sonic Generations was good, but I'm more than a little tired of remade old levels.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"Won't be too terrible" should be on Sonic Forces box

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

Boom is a crappy cash-in designed to promote the cartoon of the same name and wasn't even made by Sega.

Hardly. The game was in development long before the cartoon came along. Elements of the game were reworked to tie-in with the cartoon, but it wasn't made to promote it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This thread has the oddest dynamic at times. X won't be good, Y wasn't good, Z wasn't ever good, rage.

The franchise is in the best place it has been in years.

Shadow Hog posted:

FWIW, unless you're subbed to Humble Monthly, it's $17.99, same as it is on Steam.

Bundle Stars is $15.99 tho. Hmm.
Ah yeah I thought I was logged out. Everyone who PC games should consider the monthly, though.

Bundle Stars is legit to my knowledge, I think they're actually a European publisher who I guess got into selling games? I've been using them for years with no bullshit.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Golden Goat posted:

"Won't be too terrible" should be on Sonic Forces box

Bear mind I'm being optimistic. At least the character creator will be fun to mess around with Monster Factory style.

I just want a new Sonic game without Green Hill zone. Is that too much to ask?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Hardly. The game was in development long before the cartoon came along. Elements of the game were reworked to tie-in with the cartoon, but it wasn't made to promote it.

Huh, my mistake then. I had assumed the cartoon had started development first and the games were made to promote it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
No, with about 8 months left to go in development someone at sega decided that the game was going to be a tie in tot he cartoon and they had to retool everything.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Evil Eagle posted:

You pretty much have to either stand up and spin around or be in a spinner chair to play the lost World 3ds special stages.
This is the worst of it but the rest of the game was unplayable trash too. I'm not a big fan of carrering backwards because the homing attack decided to lock on to the four enemies in front of you and also an item box that wasn't even on screen. The game does the mario thing of spawning a powerup when you die a bunch which woud be cool if it was in anyway useful and good luck not picking it up if you need to target enemies within 200 feet of it.

It's a real shame because 'sonic does mario galaxy' isn't a bad idea in principle, but they comprehensively hosed it up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

:rip:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ken Penders should die now, his source of power finally extinguished.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Shinjobi posted:

Ken Penders should die now, his source of power finally extinguished.

This will only make him more powerful.

Soon the -Su will unleash their revenge on the world.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Larryb posted:

Mostly due to the fact it doesn't really do a good job explaining anything regards to the controls. And yet, the 3DS version somehow manages to be even worse by having you stop and do slow, monotonous puzzles in order to progress on occasion (and the normal levels aren't all that fun to play either),

3DS version definitely has bad gimmicky levels, but the normal levels are actually pretty fun when you actually go for S-Ranks or play on hard mode (which is basically the same but forces you into learning to play properly). There are a lot of shortcuts and differing routes that were fun to discover and felt good to do. Much like the actual game, it's a pain to play through initially but when you learn to do things properly it's pretty cool. Lightning Wisp was really cool and they actually had a Rocket Wisp that had non-boring design for once.

Mr Phillby posted:

This is the worst of it but the rest of the game was unplayable trash too. I'm not a big fan of carrering backwards because the homing attack decided to lock on to the four enemies in front of you and also an item box that wasn't even on screen.

The 3DS game was definitely flawed in a bunch of ways, but it also had a bunch of really neat stuff. Silent Forest had a completely trash boss, but Frozen Factory had a really cool boss when you get into using the Lightning Wisp. It had garbage gimmick acts like Frozen Factory Act 3, but then they give you something like Sky Road Act 3 which are legit really fun to do well on. Homing attacks are still annoying just like on the console version, but the kick being replaced by the projectile is waaaay better.

The only thing that's unplayable trash is the Special Stages. Those are truly garbage and easily the worst special stages in the series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know, you'd think half a year of preparing yourself for the possibility it was completely over would make it easier.

Turns out it doesn't, really. It doesn't really help at all.

I've followed the comic since I was a little kid. And now it's 100 %, undeniably gone.

That's gonna be a bad feeling for a while.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Of loving course he's treating it as some kind of victory.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/887817034796486656

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair to the 3DS version, the bosses felt like actual fights and I did like some of the wisp powers. Honestly, if it weren't for the level in Frozen Factory where you're pushing snowballs around (basically, imagine if you took Silver's ball puzzle in 06 and made an entire level based around it) and to a lesser extent the part in Sky Road where you have to build up power with the Asteroid Wisp in order to cross a gap I probably would have thought a bit better of it. But as it stands I had a lot more fun playing the Wii U version all things considered (not that that version doesn't have plenty of its own problems mind you).

Honestly the only handheld version of a console Sonic game I liked overall was Colors DS, which was basically Sonic Rush 3 in all but name.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 20, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Of loving course he's treating it as some kind of victory.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/887817034796486656

If there is one silver lining to this horrible news it's that his fetid, bloated corpse of a comic will fail.

If by some miracle it makes it to release, it will die on arrival. It will be mocked, ridiculed, and in time, completely forgotten. This years long circus will end, and the sham he made while making a mockery of the idea of creators' rights, will have been for absolutely nothing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TFRazorsaw posted:

You know, you'd think half a year of preparing yourself for the possibility it was completely over would make it easier.

I've followed the comic since I was a little kid. And now it's 100 %, undeniably gone.

I am unironically sorry, bud. I'm not happy about it either, but I've become such a jaded turd about most things that I accepted it a while ago.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAjQzmlExd4

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

I am unironically sorry, bud. I'm not happy about it either, but I've become such a jaded turd about most things that I accepted it a while ago.

It's just something I have to deal with. Autism makes it hard to not feel things in terms of extremes, even when you spend a long time managing and preparing for a possibility.

I'll make it through it, it's just rough.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it's okay to feel a bit of extreme depression about stuff like this if I'm being perfectly honest. I never read the comics outside a random issue or two as a kid and it's still kind of easy to imagine the gravity of the announcement to those that were fans of it and stuck with it most of their lives. It's like saying goodbye to some good pals, nothing wrong with that.

Make a big ol effort post on some of your favorite issues if you want, feel free to get it out there. I'll read it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There were very few issues of Archie Sonic published in Brazil (only managed to find #3 back in '98). But holy poo poo Archie Sonic used to impress the poo poo out of me so much when I found out about it on the internet back then. I used to download so many scans and get confused by the clusterfuck that was all those echidnas like Julie-Su, Remington and etc. But nonetheless it was the coolest thing ever to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's such an odd place to end on as well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Please remember Sonic, guys.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TFRazorsaw posted:

At least it became a good comic again before it died, which is more than we can say for anything that disgusting prick Penders will ever squeeze out and pinch off.

Just remember the first Megaman/Sonic crossover. That's something ten-year-old me would have gone insane with joy over, a sentiment I think pretty much all of us here share. :unsmith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Archie Sonic enticed me by creating Super Sonic vs Hyper Knuckles. They kept me around with their game specials, and eventually I got hooked on the series as a whole around...the time Sally first got roboticized, I think. By the time Mecha Madness rolls around, I am 150% committed. Full subscription, back issues, the works. I was so hype for Endgame, bizarre poo poo aside, and I loved issue 50. Then everything after 50 happened, I turned into a lovely teenager, and I distanced myself from the comparatively shittier artwork and awful soap opera plots. I think the last thing I remembered was Sonic and Tails eating a bunch of rings and saving Morgan Freeman.

Throughout high school I would sneak a peek at sonic issues at local bookstores, shake my head at what I saw, and leave em alone for a few weeks. I think it was near my high school graduation when Robotnik egg graped all of Knothole and left Sonic beaten in the wreckage. I believe that was when the fire reignited, and I befriended my blue buddy once again. Ian Flynn did good work, imho.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sucks to be you guys, I'm already hardened against the feeling of loss thanks to Fleetway Sonic. :smuggo:

:smith:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The first comics I read were Sonic ones, I remember finding the Triple Trouble special in a Walgreens comic rack when I was very small and my mom let me get it. The Tails miniseries too, or at least the first issue of it. I mostly kept up with it up through Sonic Adventure I think, I remember picking up issues of Sonic and issues of Knuckles whenever we went grocery shopping as a kid. It's not been something I followed for a long time now, though I did check out the MegaMan crossover because that was just a big fan dream thing.

It's weird to see something I spent so much time being into as a kid gone. I have a feeling we never see Sally, Bunnie, Rotor, etc again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's weird to see something I spent so much time being into as a kid gone. I have a feeling we never see Sally, Bunnie, Rotor, etc again.

How used where they in the final years of the comic? I had the impression that they mostly used characters from the games in the recent issues.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ian's run used comic original characters all the time. One of the last Universe arcs was even all about Sally and Nicole.

He just managed to do it while keeping the Sega characters relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hey, Razorsaw, are we operating under the assumption here that the current Sega of America is just killing Sonic comics for good and that's what's bugging you, or is it the loss of Archie but not the former?

Because they seem to have a really good and open relationship with the fanbase and, to be frank, a desire to make money. This whole thing kinda strikes me as them gearing up to take over? Or is that just impossible?