Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jarogue posted:

So here is what Splatnet app can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I91pfaRLkZQ

According to this there is exclusive gear you can only buy from the smartphone app.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm gonna walk into Walmart on Friday like Vince McMahon and only communicate with open palm face slaps to indicate I want a copy of Splatoon 2. When I'm tackled by security I will start screaming I am a SovCit and their naval gold fringe flag rules don't apply to me

If your palm wasn't open it wouldn't be a slap, just a bizarre punch!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nalin posted:

According to this there is exclusive gear you can only buy from the smartphone app.

That's half-correct, you can also get it from other players in the plaza like buying gear off them worked in the first game. But the app is the primary way to get it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Someone mentioned it earlier but can newbies like me get a reminder of whether or not slopes and verticals count towards turf %? Was it verticals don't at all and slopes count for varying amounts based on angle or something?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pierson posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but can newbies like me get a reminder of whether or not slopes and verticals count towards turf %? Was it verticals don't at all and slopes count for varying amounts based on angle or something?

Yes, exactly.

If you can see it on the overhead map at the end, it counts, so 100% vertical walls do squat for win percentage (though you still might want to ink them for other reasons)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone with crippling ocd want to comment on splatoon painting

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh wow. Okay so for starters there was this guy named Pythagoras

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Oh wow. Okay so for starters there was this guy named Pythagoras

I said ocd not autism

I generally wonder if people with tidying issues would hate this game for how messy it is

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I said ocd not autism

I generally wonder if people with tidying issues would hate this game for how messy it is

They might appreciate that getting covered in paint causes damage, and then death, to the player character.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I said ocd not autism

not you, the guy asking about slopes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Splatoon is very wabi-sabi

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Pierson posted:

Slopes count for a percentage. Verticals don't count for turf war but are incredibly important for traversal in all modes. So don't ink every surface, but learn maps and identify important traversal verticals on the maps and keep 'em inked when you have the chance.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

You could spend an hour or two painting every inch of the single player hub if you were bored in the first game. Could probably do the same in the splatfest demo's tutorial section if you felt inklined to do so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pierson posted:

The win is calculated by a purely overhead view. Everything else follows intuitively from that.

Only horizontal surface area matters. Slopes have some horizontal, verticals have none.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Nalin posted:

They touched on this on the tumblr earlier

quote:

It looks like the gear available in the SplatNet Gear Shop can have a different main ability attached than those purchased at the Galleria in Inkopolis.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm glad I found out now that vertical paint doesn't count because I spent a lot of time in the demo painting vertical walls

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its still worth doing strategically because you can swim up walls only if you paint them, but only bother painting walls if you're about to swim up them or if you want to block an enemy.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

The win is calculated by a purely overhead view. Everything else follows intuitively from that.

Only horizontal surface area matters. Slopes have some horizontal, verticals have none.

Exactly, I don't remember so many people using the weird percentage explanation with the first game or where it came from.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Frankston posted:

I'm glad I found out now that vertical paint doesn't count because I spent a lot of time in the demo painting vertical walls

You were patting yourself on the back each close victory while your team mates were grinding their teeth hahaha

Saint Freak posted:

They aren't region locked as far as I'm aware so just grab JP ones? Looks like there's a bunch on Amazon.

I was going to ask, thanks

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Frankston posted:

This was me. I've never played Splatoon 1 so I was using the roller, doing only horizontal flicks, and flailing around with the motion controls. Basically I was the perfect storm of garbage and I took 20 seconds to paint a wall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I said ocd not autism

I don't actually have OCD or anything but god drat if I don't find filling in all the spots people have missed in your team's area to be the most satisfying poo poo ever

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

yergacheffe posted:

I've never played Splatoon 1 so I was using the roller, doing only horizontal flicks, and flailing around with the motion controls.

It's okay, you just described high level roller play in Splatoon 1, so you just have to adjust to vertical flicks like the rest of us.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I was wondering, is the ink displayed on the screen 100% accurate as to how much of the ground is counted as inked by the game? Like, if there's a tiny little spot that isn't inked, does the game see that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't actually have OCD or anything but god drat if I don't find filling in all the spots people have missed in your team's area to be the most satisfying poo poo ever

They should add a single player mode where you just paint an entire area by yourself to earn coins.

Like that one game viscera cleanup detail.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was wondering, is the ink displayed on the screen 100% accurate as to how much of the ground is counted as inked by the game? Like, if there's a tiny little spot that isn't inked, does the game see that?

Yes, but it rounds to the nearest tenth of a percent or whatever.

I've seen lots of games lost merely because people didn't thoroughly ink their own backfield

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Its hard to say, nobody has the source code and testing would be really hard. They have to store which ground is inked in some way internally while they're playing the game though, so once they already have that data in place there's no reason they couldn't write a proper algorithm to just crunch through it all and give a 100% perfectly accurate assessment.

I mean, for that matter, does the game even allow arbitrarily small holes? There's gotta be some "resolution" to the paint on the ground, and the way the paint kinda sloshes around it'd be really hard to actually figure out what the size of the 'pixels' of the terrain are. Well... I guess depending upon how they stored paint they could do it without a limited "resolution" using floating point positions of paint origin but then you have to track tons of overlapping paint... it'd be pretty inefficient. Maybe you could merge shapes but that's probably too much processing time...

It could be the game only uses the final screen to calculate it, and thus it would have a resolution based on the TV and there would be potential holes that would get rounded off, but I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't just properly calculate it if they already have the data in game.

But I would assume it's pretty dang accurate.

And yeah like Bloop said it does get rounded to the nearest tenth at the end.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Will I be able to preload Splatoon 2 or do I have to wait until 12:01 am Friday to buy it digitally?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My brother told me the ink brush isn't in Splatoon 2. That's a lie right? :(

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

That's absolutely a lie. You even get it in singleplayer this time around.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Internet Kraken posted:

The inkbrush is in the initial lineup of weapons. You don't even have to wait for a patch. All the major weapon types from S1 are in, and more are being patched in later.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Octobrush is the one you get in Story mode as the 'Inkbrush' weapon type representative.

For the Inkbrush itself, (minor Weapon shop spoilers) I took a quick peek at the full list of weapons he sells, and the Octobrush is the only brush he's selling right now at Level 10. Inkbrush is guaranteed to appear as free DLC though, and I can't imagine it'll take a long time to arrive. If it doesn't appear within the first few weeks I'd be really surprised.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

amazed noone has finished SP yet to scan Callie.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The super target near me was selling the digital codes out today so I'm now downloading splatoon 2

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Zelder posted:

The super target near me was selling the digital codes out today so I'm now downloading splatoon 2

How are you gonna be able to taste a digital copy though?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It tastes like disgruntled target employee's balls weirdly enough

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Zelder posted:

It tastes like disgruntled target employee's balls weirdly enough

You've never tasted my balls, though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

You've never tasted my balls, though.

Not for lack of trying.

I've played splatoon 2 and get this: it's very good

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nephzinho posted:

amazed noone has finished SP yet to scan Callie.

It's a press embargo thing. Someone would have to get a copy early from a store and also own the Amiibos, which is just unlikely enough to be annoying like this.

Also it may be locked behind a release day patch too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Just wondering, will this release at midnight of the 21st worldwide? So it'll unlock in about 12 hours for me living in Australia?