Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ima2bNo8O9A

Dragon Ball is a long running Manga and Anime series.
Starting as the Manga Dragon Ball in 1984, it is a long running Shonen series created by Akira Toriyama. Centered around the titular Dragon Balls that grant every wish, characters interact, help, and fight over them and for a good reason: They grant any wish you desire. Staring Goku and his ever growing cast of friends and enemies every series has a very different tone and feeling. Dragon Ball is about adventure and mysticism, and is more light hearted until near the end of the series where things start to get more serious. That runs over into the time skip/continuation Dragon Ball Z. Now a full fledged action series about big fights and serious villains that takes things even into space. Dragon Ball GT was a anime only new series that was not received well at all. Akira Toriyama's only input was the Super Sayian 4 design, it was completely Toei made. It was only 64 episodes. Dragon Ball Super saw Toriyama's return to lead his series again. It started with two movies under the dragon ball Z title that were so well received that he wanted to continue again with a new series.

In this thread we talk mostly about the Anime and Manga.

If you're looking to chat about the console Dragon Ball video games here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797982

If you want just the FighterZ thread it's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831421

If you're looking to talk about the mobile game Dragon Ball Dokkan Battle here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732619&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The current anime is Dragon Ball Super, a continuation of Dragon Ball Z. It starts before the last episode of Z and completely ignores Dragon Ball GT. It ended in 2018 and we've gotten a couple movies since, beyond that we don't know what the future holds.

It is available to watch at these places: http://www.daisuki.net/ http://www.crunchyroll.com/ https://www.funimation.com/ https://vrv.co/

Buy the Blu Rays here: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-...agon+ball+super

Dragon Ball Kai is a shortened redone version of Dragon Ball Z. It closely follows the timing and flow of the manga and leaves out the filler. If you don't have a lot of time to read or watch the OG series this is highly recommended. It airs on Toonami every Saturday at 11:00 EST, currently at the end of the series The Buu saga.

You can buy it here: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Kai-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B0079KGANU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522953608&sr=8-1&keywords=dragon+ball+kai

The manga started after the anime had already started airing. The anime and manga follow the same guideline that Akira Toriyama set but both deviate from each other in telling the stories. There is no true "canon" version. It is drawn and headed by Toyotarō. It will continue even though the anime is on hiatus.

You can read it here: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/dragon-ball-super

Or buy it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XH6G8PG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

These are the two most recent movies to be all caught up.

RBX fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
"Canon" only needs one n. Unless you're talking about a large projectile weapon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
all aboard the S.S Sayian

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought it was Toei that brought Toriyama onto doing Super?

Either way how involved Toriyama has been with either the manga or anime versions of Super has been a thorny issue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Special Beam Cannon is the only canon I need

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, Super Manga did the "Zamasu still lives" reveal better, but it's too Goku focused and the awesome Trunks-Sword scene is completely gimped. Anime is superior.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

"Canon" only needs one n. Unless you're talking about a large projectile weapon.

It was a typo, thanks!

Raxivace posted:

I thought it was Toei that brought Toriyama onto doing Super?

Either way how involved Toriyama has been with either the manga or anime versions of Super has been a thorny issue.

Only thing i'm getting is he did the overall plot and it differs from there:

quote:

Its overall plot outline is written by Dragon Ball franchise creator Akira Toriyama, while the individual episodes are written by different screenwriters.

from wikipedia

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

It was a typo, thanks!

Always happy to provide some lead-off pedantry.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Let me say the thread's icon is gorgeous.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

where's the poll?

also, to the guy who said tien is the only human to survive the human extinction attack, tien's not human

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Condiv posted:

where's the poll?

also, to the guy who said tien is the only human to survive the human extinction attack, tien's not human

He's very much human, he just has some alien blood in him. It's likely too diluted to count as anything else than human, and he's always been referred to as an Earthling anyways.

Also, a bit of a correction on the opening post: Toriyama did not design Super Saiyan 4 Goku, that was Toei Animation's character designer Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru.. Toriyama was, however, responsible for all the main character designs (yes, that includes Vegeta's moustache and Trunks' awful outfit) and he designed the logo.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Note re: the all powerfullness of the dragon balls. They are almost always just powerful enough that the main bad guy needs to be prevented from getting them but just weak enough that you can't just get them first and wish mcbaddy was never born or anything.

Enter the Super Dragon Balls.

These are the size of planets and are distributed across two of the twelve universes (no really) for basically no thoroughly explained reason. The titular dragon balls that the original manga was named for were ostensibly created to mimick the super dragon balls but until somebody wishes for a super-history lesson this doesn't shed any insight into why these things exist and only exist in two universes (to the best of our knowledge).

So what do the super dragon balls do?

Supposidly anything. This has not been tested against the powers of some of dragon ball's greater dieties (wait till we get into the child emporer of all creation) but for the moment any wish that has been made upon the super dragon balls has been granted no muss no fuss. If you can't currently move seven planet sized objects across two universes into one location I recommend you start delivering milk by foot in the mornings. Wear weights.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I tried to keep the OP short,sweet, and simple any extra stuff people can google themselves. The details of everything weren't as important as getting the overall point across to possible new people.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

where's the poll?

If you're part Latino part alien but born in America Earth you are an American human, you horrendous Trump Freeza supporter.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

hot take on the ground floor: Goku is good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm re watching DBZ Kai so I can catch up on Super and watch that as it airs. i barely remember anything that happens up to the Cell Games. i wonder if they'll ever get to that there namek planet

also bulma best character

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

You don't watch Super then. He's clearly the main villain, which is why The Pride Troopers from U11 want to annihilate him for Great Justice.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dias posted:

If you're part Latino part alien but born in America Earth you are an American human, you horrendous Trump Freeza supporter.

To be fair to Trump (Allah forgive me), he's never had all the inhabitants of an apartment complex killed in order to take it over.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

Goku is Good for sure, he's just a hilariously dumb person with the brain damages, so we gotta forgive all the bullshit that his Good comes at the cost of, and it's why we love him

ps Kaioken best technique in all of Dragon Ball, first page

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Goku is very powerful. Your favorite character cannot defeat him.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dias posted:

president dog is not human, he's a dog. tien has 4 arms and a third eye, he's not human

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yamcha strongest human

TrilliontonNixon posted:

To be fair to Trump (Allah forgive me), he's never had all the inhabitants of an apartment complex killed in order to take it over.
pretend I posted that trailer for Resurrection F that was just a propaganda video to join the Frieza Force and fight against the evil Saiyan threat that has wormed it's way into Earth

hail lord frieza

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Raxivace posted:

Goku is very powerful. Your favorite character cannot defeat him.

Goku cannot defeat Goku, huh

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Carl Seitan posted:

You don't watch Super then. He's clearly the main villain, which is why The Pride Troopers from U11 want to annihilate him for Great Justice.

The pride troopers are gonna have some hidden secret like they get all their power from eating people that their universes Buu has turned into chocolate. Calling it now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lessail posted:

Goku cannot defeat Goku, huh
He cannot, as the Black arc shows.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dragon ball is good

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

To defeat yourself you must first defeat yourself. The Mercenary Tao of Goku.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Raxivace posted:

Well Vegeta did ok for a bit at the end.

Bye old thread

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 20, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"Hm, I am overpowering the man who killed my wife and who we know gets stronger when he gets beat up.

I think I'll keep on uselessly punching him some more instead of blowing his head off."

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Please consider adding these to the OP:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'll add those. I gotta explain Kai and reasons to watch each version too.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Thanks! Excellent thread, OP.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You can also watch super on daisuki.net

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aurora posted:

dragon ball is good

hmm... controversial, but I'll allow it

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I hope that Goku instant transmissions my cool friend Krillin back on to the fighting stage and he wins because he is strong and brave. After Krillin wins, he will use his wish on the Super Dragon Balls to wish this thread had a poll.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't believe we have no GodTube yet, that's easily the best part of Super

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Pro-Tip: It is called Dragon Ball Super because it is Super fun to watch!!!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought it was called Dragon Ball Super because Goku's final opponent will be Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I thought I was called Dragonball super because it's super profitable and marketable