Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

anyway i guess my point is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3396VxaEY&t=78s

this tiny bit with saber and herc testing each other in the deen 2010 op is way cooler than anything ufotable's ever done

But the Saber vs Herc fight in the UBW anime was great. It was a totally kickass fight that gave a good sense for how ridiculous these characters are. Most other adaptations have just made them seem like skilled regular humans with magical weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Endorph posted:

anyway i guess my point is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD3396VxaEY&t=78s

this tiny bit with saber and herc testing each other in the deen 2010 op is way cooler than anything ufotable's ever done

That runs completely against how Berserker is ever described :shepface:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The actual Berserker and Saber fight in the ufotable anime is really cool and better than that.

Like I don't poo poo on the deen stuff nearly as much as other people do and it has its place, but it is not good and the ufotable stuff is infinitely better on every front even as far as how sound effects and visual effects in fights go where they try to replicate the VN fights.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"Deen did fights better than ufotable" is galactic brain tier poo poo

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Nyaa posted:

:itoilet: "NO ONE DID UBW RIGHT! THEY ARE ALL poo poo! SHHHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTT!"

unironically agree

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually Archer's UBW in the Deen anime was super cool too, I feel like the show deserves a lot of credit for that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That scene sucked. The simple cutaway in the VN was much more effective.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The new version of Emiya that plays in it is one of the best versions of that song and the silly poo poo Archer pulls out are actually really cool like big Kansho and Bakuya. Like as much as that scene works in the VN, actually getting the cutaway after he pops UBW on Berserker was super loving cool and I am not gonna hate on Deen for that because everyone in 2006 loved that poo poo even if no one would play the VN in its entirety for like two years.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

That runs completely against how Berserker is ever described :shepface:

Yeah, berserker is a whirlwind of death infinitely strong and fast. I still remember the VN:
"The black rock sword is just like a storm.
With such a large body.
And with such a large sword, and yet Berserker is moving faster than Saber.
The attacks he sends out are just smashing swings with no technique to them.
But that's enough.
If there is overwhelming power and speed, there is no room for technique.
Techniques are something humans invented to compensate for their weaknesses.
Weaknesses are things that giant doesn't have."

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 20, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt say its an accurate depiction of berserker just that its kind of a cool bit that is more memorable to me than berserker break dancing in a graveyard. and i dont think ufotable is incapable of good fights. i like the berserker vs gil fight in ubw tv.

edit: also the deen/stay night anime, regardless of what you think of it, introduced a ton of recurring things that are still being referenced today. like half of archer's fighting style, some elements of arturia's backstory and the visuals of that general part of the setting, tons of things in terms of repeated abilities, like Gate of Babylon or Excalibur - the way those scenes are cut and paced is referenced heavily in just about everything Fate from that point onwards, from games to later adaptations. A lot of that is basic surface level stuff but it still did a lot to flesh out a visual novel with a pretty barebones presentation.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 20, 2017

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Deen animes is too ugly for me to watch, ufotable makes everyone handsome and the action is fluid and easy to follow, that is my hot take

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Endorph posted:

i didnt say its an accurate depiction of berserker just that its kind of a cool bit that is more memorable to me than berserker break dancing in a graveyard. and i dont think ufotable is incapable of good fights. i like the berserker vs gil fight in ubw tv.

edit: also the deen/stay night anime, regardless of what you think of it, introduced a ton of recurring things that are still being referenced today. like half of archer's fighting style, some elements of arturia's backstory and the visuals of that general part of the setting, tons of things in terms of repeated abilities, like Gate of Babylon or Excalibur - the way those scenes are cut and paced is referenced heavily in just about everything Fate from that point onwards, from games to later adaptations. A lot of that is basic surface level stuff but it still did a lot to flesh out a visual novel with a pretty barebones presentation.

Sorry to pop your bubble but the only things the DEEN adaptation wholesale introduced that carried over to the rest of the franchise were Overedge and the voice actors. Everything else you're listing is lifted straight up from the VN, reference materials, Nasu as creative consultant, Realta Nua which was already in the works, or just being made up in your brain.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I haven't yet watched a ufotable show that wasn't visually impressive and I'm flabbergasted that even the hottest of takes could call deen's visuals better

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just rewatched the ufotable Shirous vs Gilgamesh and it was as incredible as I remember it

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Deen Gate of Babylon is honestly one of the biggest sins of the show. Half the time it's just random yellow lasers shooting in random directions.

I'll give it points for Archer vs Berserker, but that's about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sorry to pop your bubble but the only things the DEEN adaptation wholesale introduced that carried over to the rest of the franchise were Overedge and the voice actors. Everything else you're listing is lifted straight up from the VN, reference materials, Nasu as creative consultant, Realta Nua which was already in the works, or just being made up in your brain.
lol

why does deen break people's brains so badly that they post like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deen/stay night is the best thing to come from fate/stay night and nasu is a hack compared to yamaguchi yuuji

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kinoko nasu: some stupid poo poo about a guy named gun god

yuuji yamaguchi: an episode of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Q-5ra_dvM

one of these people is an artist, the other is a plebian

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Even the Archer/Herc fight is incredibly awkward to go back to at this point, it looks really bad. The second OP is probably the only aspect of the Deen series that I still like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real tho deen/stay night and the ufotable ubw adaptation are both adaptations of fairly hard to adapt source material and they both have some things they do well and a lot of places where they drop the ball, and personal preference aside deen's work is by far the sloppier of the two, and the ubw film is a mess minus a few directorial tricks i like

just kidding deen are my gods

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
:madmax: "Deen version is the best. Everything come after it are mere imitation that failed to surpasses the original. All the cool idea came from this anime, not the VN or Nasu himself."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah thats what i meant when i said 'deen expanded a bit on a few things and they reference those things still,' you got me champ. you figured it out. congratulations on solving that riddle.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The Deen anime has some minor value to the canon, I'd still never recommend anyone watch it outside of maybe youtubing a couple scenes but its not as worthless or obsolete as people like to say it is.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The original point of the conversation is whether the deen anime is worth watching and some people try to defend it with needle in the hay arguments either for watching or it deserve merit for the series.

As Judge Nyaa, I declare the following judgement:

Don't watch Deen/Stay Night, but it deserve credit for like two small things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Don't watch Deen/Stay Night.
i agree

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nyaa posted:

The original point of the conversation is whether the deen anime is worth watching and some people try to defend it with needle in the hay arguments either for watching or it deserve merit for the series.

As Judge Nyaa, I declare the following judgement:

Don't watch Deen/Stay Night, but it deserve credit for like two small things.

Popping back into this thread after however long to agree with this. Never saw any of it except the YouTube clip of the Archer vs Berserker fight, felt that was enough. Watched Deen UBW when it first came out, was decent for it's time, had no idea how much better ufotable could do it.

Also, looks like Apocrypha is good and worth watching? Guess I'll catch up on it this weekend, while catching up on Grand Order stuff if possible.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 20, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this entire deen discussion has felt like people talking over each other and making weird arguments that aren't actually addressing what other people are saying

let's instead talk about how insanely disappointing apocrypha is going to be after the halfway point

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apocrypha is already insanely disappointing because of how washed out Vlad's face looks, but I've only watched the two episodes so far, so I will wait until I watch more to say more mean things about it.

Oh yeah and the one episode Waver's face happened in was also not great.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

They should had go for fate/strange fate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should have made carnival phantasm season 2

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Endorph posted:

they should have made carnival phantasm season 2
That's the only anime i will accept crappy art.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Did Baal ever finish knk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

nerd

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Apocrypha is good so far, Astolfo and Fran are both cute and that's what matters

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The manga version of apo is better atp.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I dunno who this Deen guy is, but he sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nyaa posted:

They should had go for fate/strange fate.

I approve this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I approve this.
On the other hand, I would rather SHAFT do it. Not because of the amount of conversations, but the high emphasis of servant and master intereactions of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Finish it you nerd