Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X_Toad posted:

To be fair, the grappling hook would be a rehash of Mabel only if Webby doesn't actually use it.

Hey, she used it! She just saved it for dramatic moments. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:shrug: I'm not exactly expecting to be blown away by it, but from what I've seen so far it looks like it'll be a pretty enjoyable show. The voices are different, but they've grown on me, and I really like the animation style they've gone with, as well as the emphasis on going back to the original comics as inspiration instead of simply treading the same ground as the previous show.

On a related note, there's a new clip that demonstrates a lot of what I like from what they've shown of the new show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPoyDlit1g&t=6s

What did Donald say at the end there? "Uh, Occupido?!" or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ConanThe3rd posted:

What did Donald say at the end there? "Uh, Occupido?!" or something?

Yes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Occupado. It's Spanish!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not really sure how it's all going to be put together in the end. It's not exactly untrue to the original for Webby to be more driven than the boys, but it is different to make her more aggressive than them. Also Uncle Scrooge isn't as much of a cranky old man.

And I guess they don't have Duckworth anymore either, but I guess he was pretty archaic anyways.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Scrooge is a cranky has-been who becomes re-energized when he hooks up with his family again" seems pretty true to the comics, though.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

"Scrooge is a cranky has-been who becomes re-energized when he hooks up with his family again" seems pretty true to the comics, though.

I hope there's at least one episode about Scrooge after he becomes the richest duck in the world, but before he meets Donald and the nephews. I doubt that they'll make it as dark as the Don Rosa original, but it's still a story worth telling.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Certainly got someone who's done "Cranky Scottish Git" on TV for a fair while for it tho.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

X-O posted:

I'm sure you'd recognize Chris Diamantopoulos from something if you saw him. He's been on a lot of TV shows. And somehow looks like the least likely person in the world to voice Mickey Mouse. He made for a good Robin Williams in a TV movie one time and as bad as the 3 Stooges movie was his Moe was about as spot on as humanly possible.

Now I have a strange desire to hear this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAOosI6js in the Mickey voice.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man, I've been reading up on The Lion Guard and it just sounds so bad, even by the standards of Direct-to-TV animated sequels.

So apparently the secondborn of any ruler of the Pride Lands possesses a mystic roar called the Roar of the Elders which summons a ghostly stampede of previous kings. Scar had this power but lost it when he tried to use it to take the crown, and now Simba's son Kion has it.

And apparently they have Mufasa on speed dial now? Because Kion just goes up to a hill seeking advice, goes "Grandfather Mufasa?" and a non-James Earl Jones version of Mufasa's spirit appears in the clouds in a puff of light and goes "yes?"

And apparently the upcoming movie is about the return of Scar, when Kion accidentally uses the power of the Roar of the Elders to resurrect Scar.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All of that sounded horrible until that last part

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Argue posted:

Man, I've been reading up on The Lion Guard and it just sounds so bad, even by the standards of Direct-to-TV animated sequels.

So apparently the secondborn of any ruler of the Pride Lands possesses a mystic roar called the Roar of the Elders which summons a ghostly stampede of previous kings. Scar had this power but lost it when he tried to use it to take the crown, and now Simba's son Kion has it.

And apparently they have Mufasa on speed dial now? Because Kion just goes up to a hill seeking advice, goes "Grandfather Mufasa?" and a non-James Earl Jones version of Mufasa's spirit appears in the clouds in a puff of light and goes "yes?"

And apparently the upcoming movie is about the return of Scar, when Kion accidentally uses the power of the Roar of the Elders to resurrect Scar.

You forgot the Cutie Mark things they have when they power up.

Also the movie already happened, it was actually the first two episodes merged into a movie.

The Scar thing is an episode in the second season, it'll probably be two episodes squished into one again.

I saw the first "movie". It has way too many songs and I just couldn't make it past that.

Though, they basically admit that Timon and Pumbaa are gay as they have an adopted "nephew" together who's one of the main characters. So there's that at least.

EDIT: Oh and every single character has an African catchphrase. It's Hakuna Matata dialed up to 11. Except every single episode.

Also, in the movie, Simba is weirdly a huge racist and gets super pissed that his son makes non-lions a part of the Lion Guard. Like...uncharacteristically pissed. It's just strange.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The villain of The Lion King's whole plan was racial integration, implicitly making an army out of the lesser predator race because he had insufficient pull with his own kind, and the happy ending is turning his own minions on him before casting them out again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

All of that sounded horrible until that last part

Aww I wish I could read it but I got to "mystic roar" and my mind shut down and refused to process any more poo poo that dumb in the post.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inescapable Duck posted:

The villain of The Lion King's whole plan was racial integration, implicitly making an army out of the lesser predator race because he had insufficient pull with his own kind, and the happy ending is turning his own minions on him before casting them out again.

Well, that's a bit... reductive...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Simba made Pride Rock Great Again. His numbers were yuuuge.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's kind of dumb, because Mufasa preaches the big ol' Circle Of Life but is also like "gently caress Hyenas."

This is, apparently, because they eat lions and poo poo. And while I guess that effort at self preservation is usually rational, you get the feeling Mufasa is the kind of guy eviscerating a zebra in front of everyone, blood going everywhere, chomping on that meat and ripping out it's liver. And then telling the shocked and horrified animal kingdom, "hey man, circle of life and all that. You know?"

The dumb thing is if Mufasa hadn't exiled the creatures most threatening to him so that he can rule a whole ecosystem of prey, Scar wouldn't have had an army.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 20, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

It's kind of dumb, because Mufasa preaches the big ol' Circle Of Life but is also like "gently caress Hyenas."
On the other hand, those Hyenas arent like most of the Pride Rock clan. They dont send their best animals. They carry diseases, drugs. They're not quality animals.

Weak Mufasa couldnt negotiate with Hyenas. Very bad deal for Pride Rock. DROPPED THE BALL!

Scar just whipped up some populist "You will be a great Hyena army over those uppity Lions" bullshit and engineered a coup.

Lions lack leadership thanks to Weak Mufasa, Scar will put Hyenas to work again!

The hyenas eventually turn on Scar, making it obvious you never go Full Tea Party.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing about the hyenas was that they ate and hunted to excess, and thus drove off the herds, which threw off the ecological balance of the Pride Lands.

I mean, the idea of an entire species that's pretty much chaotic evil by default is dodgy on its own. They're basically sad, pathetic, furry orcs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FilthyImp posted:

The hyenas eventually turn on Scar, making it obvious you never go Full Tea Party.

Well Scar did say if you liked your duiker you could keep him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Timon and Pumbaa practised true racial integration, a pity they let themselves be Uncle Omnivores for the predator class.

The Lion King owes a lot to the Jungle Book where the food chain was likened to a class/caste system, which all kinds of entertainingly problematic/unintentionally apropos metaphors to go with.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's hard not to at least pause when the villain goes "Stick with me, and you'll never go hungry again!".

And from what I remember of the movie, it kinda looks like the hyenas have thrown their lot with Scar out of desperation. There's three of them having to share one zebra leg! That can't be enough of a meal for three adult carnivores, can it?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

As long as the Lion King franchise is going to get weird and stupid can we get some space adventures thrown in the next movie? Maybe add some space battles and a giant lion robot? Apparently we're no longer bound by logic or good taste so we may as well go apeshit.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

readingatwork posted:

As long as the Lion King franchise is going to get weird and stupid can we get some space adventures thrown in the next movie? Maybe add some space battles and a giant lion robot? Apparently we're no longer bound by logic or good taste so we may as well go apeshit.

So Voltron but in the Pride Lands? The GoLion King? I would be down for that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Season three, when Kion meets three strange new animals, one of whom has a large, key-shaped blade...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From my very limited Knowledge of Lion Guard. Appearntly along with Hyenas Jackels are also assholes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Some animals are just straight up assholes, like geese for example. And that's just something you have to accept, especially if you're going to be lion king.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Figures that a cartoon/IP about furry animals and incest would be weird rear end hell.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And to think the worst anyone leveied at the orgional was it looked a little bit like Kimba.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I guess Lion King 2 is non-canon to the Lion King franchise now? Weird.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I guess Lion King 2 is non-canon to the Lion King franchise now? Weird.

Nope still canon. The Lion King 2 villains even show up at one point.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rocko's Modern Life reboot looking... good??? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuF9aZxoipE

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Lots of easy potshots at modern stuff, but I really hope that's not what the series is all about.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 21, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok the Grimdark RRBM in PunchoVision 3xD was pretty funny.

Wasnt there a theme song thag wasnt so blatantly B52s?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Timon and Pumbaa practised true racial integration, a pity they let themselves be Uncle Omnivores for the predator class.
Truely the White Feminism of the animal world.

quote:

The Lion King owes a lot to the Jungle Book where the food chain was likened to a class/caste system, which all kinds of entertainingly problematic/unintentionally apropos metaphors to go with.
Yeah as a Kid I was all "Hyenas are just jerks that dont listen so gently caress them".
Now, the fact that theyre voiced by a black woman and a chicano icon (who is ethnically middle eastern) adds a really uncomfortable aspect to their SocioEconomic Status.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 21, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

Lots of easy potshots at modern stuff, but I really hope that's not what the series is all about.
The original series was basically "capitalism is bad" so i'd be surprised if it veered away from easy target territory

FilthyImp posted:

It's not just blatantly, it IS the B52s, that's the theme that they made for the original show for the back half

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

The original series was basically "capitalism is bad" so i'd be surprised if it veered away from easy target territory

Fair. It's probably just the fact that they sorta blitzed through a whole season's worth of topics in one go in the preview and it feels like that might be everything there is to see in the series all summed up

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

I'm digging this. Lots of easy shots but they're clearly having fun with it.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The Rocko movie apparently is about Rocko trying to rectify the crazy modern day by hanging onto nostalgia for the past, which could go one of two ways (pop culture or the larger political theme). Hopefully it threads the needle. Rocko was smart enough that my dad loved to watch it with me, so I have faith in this reboot. It worked when I was 5 and when I revisited it at 15 and 25, so here's hoping.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I dunno, the whole thing just felt like a bunch of warmed-over Simpsons jokes from 2007. "Starbucks across from Starrbucks! iPhones! Am I right!?" Or maybe Rocko was always a bunch of lazy takes on "These Modern Times" and I just never noticed because I was a kid.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, but according to wikipedia the B52s version is the 3rd version. The first 2 sound pretty similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HmEGRVUcR0&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVL2LDf1bcU

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This didn't seem like a trailer so much as a promo short with its own animation. Wouldn't surprise me if they used it as a way to get a bunch of easy jokes out of the way.

Still, the Nolanverse Really Really Big Man had me rolling.