Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wish we have a picture or video of Confed Furry getting chased by other furries. It would make a great "It's Hard To Be A Conservative Furry" macro/gif.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

These rule.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there are some great stories in here despite the poo poo/awesome cover art

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, yeah. Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison were great.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Mmmff

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

" Pop-pop got a disease that made his head 10% smaller every year."

KaiserKarl
Dec 31, 2006

great, now i need coffee and a doughnut. but seriously, A+

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Aztec posted:

" Pop-pop got a disease that made his head 10% smaller every year."

That was the exact thought that popped into my mind when I saw the drawing. :golfclap:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I'm glad Xi banned this sick filth tbh

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Kitten YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

Two hours later, Chernobyl.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

"The portal has opened and you are too late to stop it, huuuumaaaaannn."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It's upside down

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Doctor Malaver posted:

If somebody is burning cars and breaking windows in my town they are more of a threat to me personally than ISIS is. And I'm not even American!

Naaah because then you'd have no reason whatsoever to be scared by ISIS. Don't rationalize it

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Don't call other people pedophiles for liking anime. This has happened often enough in the fanart thread that I've really lost patience for it. I feel like flinging the word around so casually makes light of a truly heinous crime, the monsters that commit it, and the trauma of survivors of actual pedophilia.

That said, jesus christ, that loving post :dogbutton:
Pedophilia describes an attraction to children; it in itself isn't criminal. Discouraging people from criticising media that seeks to normalise the sexualisation of children does nothing to make myself or anybody else who takes issue with it feel any more comfortable.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

basalt posted:

Pedophilia describes an attraction to children; it in itself isn't criminal. Discouraging people from criticising media that seeks to normalise the sexualisation of children does nothing to make myself or anybody else who takes issue with it feel any more comfortable.

I'm not sure it's clear-cut that a game about training teen pop stars is, prima facie, any more sexualising of children than the phenomenon of teen pop stars itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm not sure it's clear-cut that a game about training teen pop stars is, prima facie, any more sexualising of children than the phenomenon of teen pop stars itself.

Given it's practically an open secret that they're all getting hosed by their producers/employers/random celebrities and organised crime members, that doesn't help much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Anime is bad.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, yes. The idol industry is one that directly profits from the sexual exploitation of children. The game in question doesn't seem to be particularly removed from everything idol culture entails. My comment was referring to an unfortunate new rule on these forums that seems to prioritise protecting the sanctity of anime as an art form over upholding basic human decency. It's disappointing.

basalt has a new favorite as of 12:04 on Jul 20, 2017

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

basalt posted:

Well, yes. The idol industry is one that directly profits from the sexual exploitation of children. The game in question doesn't seem to be particularly removed from everything idol culture entails. My comment was referring to an unfortunate new rule on these forums that seems to prioritise protecting the sanctity of anime as an art form over upholding basic human decency. It's disappointing.

What.

No, actually, what was said was

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Don't call other people pedophiles for liking anime. This has happened often enough in the fanart thread that I've really lost patience for it. I feel like flinging the word around so casually makes light of a truly heinous crime, the monsters that commit it, and the trauma of survivors of actual pedophilia.
A perfectly reasonable request. You've leapt all the way from that to "an unfortunate new rule on these forums that seems to prioritise protecting the sanctity of anime as an art form over upholding basic human decency". Dial it back, dude.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

basalt posted:

:what:

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

This isn't the only time it has been mentioned. I don't have the patience to go searching for other references, it's just a strange direction for a forum that was once renowned for publicly humiliating it's resident pedophiles to take.

EDIT: The moderators seem to be coming from a place of genuine compassion, and I appreciate that, but I think it's important to be aware that regardless of intention this rule won't necessarily make the people they're trying to protect feel welcome. If anything, it seems like people will be much less likely to point out problematic content for fear of repercussion. It encourages silence, and from that, complicity.

My penance:

basalt has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Jul 20, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Ah yes, the right of every good and just person to call people pedos based on what cartoons they like, our mistake.

Christ, I hate anime as much as any anime-hating goon, but you're being an idiot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Besides, everyone knows the pedos are into Star Trek.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

basalt posted:

It's not a question of criticizing media. Criticize all you like. Don't call posters pedophiles in a thread. If you think someone has a pattern of posting creepy poo poo, tell a mod or admin.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

basalt posted:

Ahhh, it will be ok.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

basalt posted:

EDIT: The moderators seem to be coming from a place of genuine compassion, and I appreciate that, but I think it's important to be aware that regardless of intention this rule won't necessarily make the people they're trying to protect feel welcome. If anything, it seems like people will be much less likely to point out problematic content for fear of repercussion. It encourages silence, and from that, complicity.
The rule encourages silence and complicity from forum users otherwise inclined to witchhunts rooted in memetic groupthink. Trust that most people are adults who know that lots of anime stuff is creepy and can use their discretion to report people as necessary. It's not that loving hard to get.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not a question of criticizing media. Criticize all you like. Don't call posters pedophiles in a thread. If you think someone has a pattern of posting creepy poo poo, tell a mod or admin.
I'll respect the rule, I just thought it deserved a closer look. In retrospect, I may have been reading into it too much.

More penance:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o6rscstBgk1s6441y.mp4#_=_

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

basalt posted:

Pedophilia describes an attraction to children; it in itself isn't criminal.

:raise:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

What ARE laws? We just don't know.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

What ARE laws? We just don't know.

Pedophilia as a mental illness is different from actually going out and raping children.

Although my understanding is it's basically untreatable for those who seek out and indulge in CP or have actually raped.

(I did my undergrad work in Law & Order SVU so I know what I'm talking about)

There's a very good movie called The Woodsman where Kevin Bacon (bravely as far as acting roles go) portrays a child molester. Kyra Sedgwick (his irl wife) is in it as well.

There just don't seem to be a lot of good ends with that particular disease.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Legal consequences require action. People aren't typically arrested for thought crimes.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Oh my God SHUT UP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

I don't always get those "I'm going to hell for laughing at this" moments but, gently caress.