Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

Hey, Razorsaw, are we operating under the assumption here that the current Sega of America is just killing Sonic comics for good and that's what's bugging you, or is it the loss of Archie but not the former?

Because they seem to have a really good and open relationship with the fanbase and, to be frank, a desire to make money. This whole thing kinda strikes me as them gearing up to take over? Or is that just impossible?

They said this isn't the end of Sonic comics.

I'll probably enjoy whatever they decide to run with next. But it won't be the thing I grew up with. There's still gonna be a sense of loss there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'll probably enjoy whatever they decide to run with next. But it won't be the thing I grew up with. There's still gonna be a sense of loss there.
Isn't it technically that already?

What I mean about fanbase is that I imagine many of the same people who either grew up with it or worked on it will probably find jobs down the line with them. A lot of the existing spirit is going to move forward, that's inevitable.

Also it just finally clicked why the other comics discussion has been riling you more, more recently. Or you know, maybe not, and that whole conversation has just sucked for months anyway.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, I went through a whole other grieving process with the old continuity coming to an end ages ago.

But there was still some thematic continuity, at least as far as it had Ian and some of the same artists working on the reboot. There were still the Freedom Fighters, and Ian's wonderful take on Eggman. There's no guarantee Ian will write the new comic, and it's even more unlikely we'll see the Freedom Fighters ever again.

I'm just gonna miss all that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interesting

https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/887817521419649028

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If the comic does go on somewhere other than Archie, I wonder if they could use the comic characters. Does Archie possibly own them?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sega owns the Freedom Fighters, anyone else made for the cartoons, and anyone created under Ian's tenure as long as they're not related to someone created before that point in time, 100 %, unambiguously.

Unfortunately, they're not inclined to use them. After the reboot happened Ian had to fight to let them remain in the book.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

Sucks to be you guys, I'm already hardened against the feeling of loss thanks to Fleetway Sonic. :smuggo:

:smith:

Has anyone done a video summary of the fleetway comic like Cybershell did with Archie?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

this sucks man, i'm already used to the loss after StC in the UK died out but i really liked the new comics

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

Please remember Sonic, guys.

even on my deathbead, as the light fades from my eyes and my last breath escapes from my lips, i will always remember sonic

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

At least we still have Mania

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Please look forward to the adventures of fasto the mammal coming to Archie comics this fall

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SEGA's gonna give the rights to Penders.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zelder posted:

Please look forward to the adventures of fasto the mammal coming to Archie comics this fall

Sounds like it's time for Hank the Chog to finally shine.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

If there was ever a reason to make a Killdozer mk2, this is it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The loss of Archie Sonic is a bummer, for sure. I'm sure I've said I loved those comics as a kid. While I had given away my floppies to a friend years ago, I just recently finished my collection of Sonic Archives \ Sonic Select because they'll probably be in demand now.

I'm hoping someone like IDW picks up the license and rehires Ian Flynn and Tracy Yardley. They don't need to continue the storyline or anything, just do a complete reboot that has the same art style and feel of the Mega Drive comic. Maybe this is their chance to adapt all the Sonic games in order and make the comics even closer to them.

The SatAM cast might be gone for good, though, sadly. Sega seems to want nothing to do with them. Of course, when you think about it, it's kind of odd that they continued to exist in comic form 20+ years after that show's cancellation.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Discendo Vox posted:

This is the darkest timeline.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is Sega still making that live action/CG hybrid Sonic movie with Sony?

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

For most of my life even dating back to when I was, like, 8, I thought the SatAM characters were really bad. It's a little funny to me that just as I finally grow to really like Sally Acorn, she's dead for real.

They will also never use Big the Cat again except as a punchline in a meme tweet, which I find sad too. The creative team they had working on the Sonic in recent years was incredibly talented all around and showed more care for the characters and world than Sega has in years. I hope that when Mania inevitably sells gangbusters, it teaches Sega a very practical lesson about letting people who actually give a poo poo about Sonic go wild with the license and they keep Flynn, Yardley, Hesse and everyone else in mind for the future.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is Sega still making that live action/CG hybrid Sonic movie with Sony?

Yeah, here's some behind the scenes footage they released recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0AXdQOR90

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks to whoever pointed out that Mania is cheap on Bundle Stars, just got my and I can't wait for August.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888059641418006528

I can't believe we're also bringing back Shadow the Hedgehog-era music. Forces is gonna own

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh my god the butt rock is overpowering.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sonic Musou when?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm pretty sure there's next to zero chance of that happening. Nevermind the fact that an american developer

:australia:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888059641418006528

I can't believe we're also bringing back Shadow the Hedgehog-era music. Forces is gonna own

If nothing else, I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of Forces' soundtrack. This poo poo rules.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's also a new trailer for Forces

But yeah lol at the new music. I have a big dumb smile on my face, it's just so cornball

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Sakurazuka posted:

Sonic Musou when?

No idea how this is gonna work but you've got my vote.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Enallyniv posted:

Honestly it wouldn't be that hard. Samurai Warriors has a mechanic called Hyper Mode which is basically high-speed dashing through enemies with a single attack, used to burn through mooks quickly. You could pretty easily translate that to Sonic/whoever burning through bunches of crappy robots quickly and then having actual 'fights' against bosses/other characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Sonic's getting sassed by Grimoire Weiss
:allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Enallyniv posted:

Most of Sonic's friends do have whacky, distinctive approaches to combat. It'd probably translate fairly well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What the hell even is this game, I don't know what to think anymore.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Sonic's getting sassed by Grimoire Weiss
:allears:
Or Illidan Stormrage, if that's more your angle.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sonic Musou when?
Toot toot: Sonic Warriors

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Infinite seems to be the ultimate fan OC to surpass all fan OCs. I look forward to the separate cutscenes where he's smarter than Tails, stronger than Knuckles, is sexier than Rouge, and seduces Amy.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 20, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope DC gets the Sonic license so we can get the Sonic/Flash race we all want to see.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Infinite's little logo thing is stylized after the Sonic MonoEye

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope DC gets the Sonic license so we can get the Sonic/Flash race we all want to see.

That wld be epic I hope Sonic wins :cool:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Infinite seems to be the ultimate fan OC to surpass all fan OCs. I look forward to the separate cutscenes where he's smarter than Tails, stronger than Knuckles, is sexier than Rouge, and seduces Amy.

If he's the true ultimate fan OC he'd seduce everybody...

Also he'd inflate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Golden Goat posted:

If he's the true ultimate fan OC he'd seduce everybody...

Also he'd inflate.

And then everybody hugged infinite and they all got super pregnant.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Kurieg posted:

And then everybody hugged infinite and they all got super pregnant.

This is a actually the ending to the Sonic/Watchmen crossover set to happen when DC gets the Sonic license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I am so glad that for the cheesiest Sonic villain they got Liam O'Brien to play it with his wonderful voice :allears:

Apparently he was Zazz from Lost World, but I'm glad he's doing the more standard cheesy/dramatic villain voice here