Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also, here is some propaganda for the Coolest Cub

One of my two favorite Cubs other than Poque. Also a friendly reminder for those looking for someone to hate still: Matt Bush exists and that dude whose head he ran over isn't seeing a dime from his major league salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Ichiro is definitely my favorite non-Cub, but thanks for reminding me about Votto. He's gonna make the favorites list.
:same:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

i know how dumb it is to get a relief pitcher shirsey, but i'm thinking of getting an Edwards one because he owns and because single-digit pitcher shirts own, and because the only other cubs shirsey I have is Derek Lee.

CJ Edwards also wrote my favorite Players' Tribune article, which is saying a lot because there are a ton of fantastic articles on there.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Day 1

Ballot count: 9

Compared to last year, we're much more divided on our faves & unfaves. There's already no universally beloved/hated figure, and there are already two people who have votes in both categories.

Friendly reminder to at least TRY to spell people's names right in your ballot, as I do not have encyclopedic knowledge of every MLB player in existence, and don't send me umps/retirees because I have the same Google as you and I will find out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Time for some Dodgers campaigning

Clayton "Better than Koufax" Kershaw
Not exactly an obscure name, but he is more than just the greatest pitcher of his generation. He's also an impossibly good dude who has spent multiple off-seasons building orphanages in Africa. He's a famously fierce competitor on the mound, yelling at himself in frustration when he misses his spots even if it results in a strikeout. But on his non-pitching days he's one of the most enthusiastic and animated cheerleaders in the dugout

He also takes his ping pong very seriously, and hosts a charity tournament ever year as well as a team tournament in spring training.

Kershaw is the best and he deserves success and happiness as much as anyone in the game. At this point I am honestly more sad for him than for the team when poo poo goes sideways in October, because no one takes it harder than Clayton.

Justin "Rojo Chingon" Turner
This Tormund Giantsbane looking sonofabitch escaped the cursed wasteland of the Mets and immediately became one of the best hitters in the game. Unlike Daniel Murphy however, he's not a homophobic piece of poo poo! Turner is a local boy from Long Beach who currently leads all of baseball with a .370 AVG and .464 OBP. He's also an elite defender at 3B because of course he is. Justin's is the best-case-scenario story of a journeyman who finally got it all to click after years of mediocrity, so I try to savor his excellence in the limited time he's got left. Making his first All Star Game this year meant a lot to Turner, so I'm sure being voted one of SAS's favorites would as well.

Yasiel "Make Baseball Fun Again" Puig
Do I even need to campaign in SAS for Puig? You know you already love him, and if you hate him its because you secretly love him deep down and wish he was on your team. Puig makes baseball fun and he is always pissing off the right people.

He once bat flipped a stand up triple in the postseason.

He makes impossible plays like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0jIlpkFDVI

Thinking of putting him on your hate list? Think again.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 19, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

there are already two people who have votes in both categories.

I definitely know who one of these is, because I'm probably the only one who put him down as a hate.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Wouldn't be surprised to see Harper get votes on both. Maybe even from the same voter.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Harper get votes on both. Maybe even from the same voter.

I thought about him for both. I also almost put Brett Cecil on my most hated list. My guess (because I'm at the center of the universe) is that I'm responsible for at least one of the hated/loved players. I love Yadi while most people don't and I hate Cueto because I will hold a grudge forever.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also, here is some propaganda for the Coolest Cub

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Just submitted my ballot. I had a much tougher time this year listing people I hate. Lot of loathsome motherfuckers are out of baseball now.

Also, bawfuls' shameful campaign worked on me and reminded me that #PuigYourFriend.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress, I forgot about Puig my friend

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I've got players from 7 different teams on my favorites list, and 8 different teams on my least favorites. Only one team has overlap between the two (Astros, weirdly)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

Only one team has overlap between the two (Astros, weirdly)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I've got players from 7 different teams on my favorites list, and 8 different teams on my least favorites. Only one team has overlap between the two (Astros, weirdly)

I have ten different teams on my hated list. Six different teams on my favorite list. The Cubs are the only team on both lists for me and, other than the Cardinals, the only team with multiple players on my favorites list.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

:perfect:

Pancakes posted:

I have ten different teams on my hated list. Six different teams on my favorite list. The Cubs are the only team on both lists for me and, other than the Cardinals, the only team with multiple players on my favorites list.

This only now made me realize that I have a Cardinal on my favorites list but not on hated. I don't actually find the current player makeup particularly hateful except for Piscotty because it seems like he always destroys us.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

This only now made me realize that I have a Cardinal on my favorites list but not on hated. I don't actually find the current player makeup particularly hateful except for Piscotty because it seems like he always destroys us.

I know what you mean. Biscuits is truly an offensive juggernaut.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=c6bZqu4xjx8

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Also, bawfuls' shameful campaign worked on me and reminded me that #PuigYourFriend.
:hfive:

Intruder posted:

gently caress, I forgot about Puig my friend
:mad:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
8 teams on my most liked and 9 on most hated, but three teams on both - Dodgers, Astros and Nationals.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

McCann planned the funeral for Beltran's glove, that alone should have gotten him off the poo poo list

George Springer deserves some :3: for having a stutter but not letting that stop him being mic'd up during the ASG

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The Cubs are the only team on both my lists. I have no Cardinals on either list (sorry Dex).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If anyone needs someone to add to their hated list Jason Grilli is still pitching.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

8 teams on my most liked and 9 on most hated, but three teams on both - Dodgers, Astros and Nationals.

bawfuls posted:

Thinking of putting him on your hate list? Think again.

(I guess you might hate Utley though?)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does Jung Ho Kang qualify?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

(I guess you might hate Utley though?)

Find me a Mets fan who doesn't.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD QUESTION.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

I definitely thought about putting him on my list, but he hasn't played a single game this season, so I went with no.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Poque posted:

:perfect:

To be fair, the Cubs kinda destroyed him in his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad trip around the bases in the beginning of the season.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

McCann planned the funeral for Beltran's glove, that alone should have gotten him off the poo poo list

He probably planned it because he thinks being a DH isn't playing the game the right way.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
YeahTubaMike I want to thank you for doing this, you did a great job last year and it was a lot of fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Agreed with shadok.

Also a lot of guys I hate either aren't eligible any more or I stopped hating, so please keep making those effortposts while I mull over my lists...

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

Jeez, 2017 is full of weird edge cases. I decided that he qualified, even though I don't think he qualifies now (for some reason, I thought he was on the 40-man this year), so feel free to vote for him however you see fit. Maybe if he ends up in the top 25 on either list, I'll expand the list to 26 items.

shadok posted:

YeahTubaMike I want to thank you for doing this, you did a great job last year and it was a lot of fun.

The Berzerker posted:

Agreed with shadok.

Aw, thank you guys :kiddo: I had a lot of fun doing it last year, except for the part where Jose Fernandez died in the middle of the countdown. :smith:

edit: also, my Day 2 post isn't ready because I've actually had work to do at work today.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Be sure to vote for everyone's favorite beefy lad.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pancakes posted:

What's that? You were going to leave the Cardinals off of your list of favorites? Let me try to persuade you otherwise.

Dexter Fowler
Only good thing about this dude is that he spent time pissing off Cards fans and now he's also pissing off Cubs fans

quote:

Carlos Martinez
wow who cares

quote:

Yadier Molina
lmao, no, my man. no

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

Only good thing about this dude is that he spent time pissing off Cards fans and now he's also pissing off Cubs fans
He's still pissing off Cards fans, it's pretty cool

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

He's still pissing off Cards fans, it's pretty cool

He's on my list of favourites. I don't think Cubs fans will ever really hate him, he was such a huge part of last year and the WS.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Bob James posted:

Be sure to vote for everyone's favorite beefy lad.

gently caress. First official moment of regret.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I knocked Bartolo off to put Dex back on. No regrets

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ALFbrot posted:

I'm not sure how Dex is pissing off Cubs fans. He was such a key part of the 2016 team, he's probably already entered the "can do no wrong" phase of Chicago sports fandom. Once you're in that exclusive club, you can be a complete rear end in a top hat like Mike Ditka and still be loved here.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The way I see it, it's not hate, it's more incredibly sad that he's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

honestly, orioles fans have a way bigger gripe against Dexter. I'll never hate Dex, even if he goes Full Theriot. Individual Cardinals aren't even that hateable right now.

• Locked thread