Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Forever Stranded also has a problem with spawn rates; I tried it twice and on each first night the ship ended up being buried under husks.

You can make wooden spikes on your first day. Those help out a little.

The large number of husks that spawn are a good thing, because they provide you with oceans of rotten flesh to turn into food and to compost into dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can make wooden spikes on your first day. Those help out a little.

The large number of husks that spawn are a good thing, because they provide you with oceans of rotten flesh to turn into food and to compost into dirt.

Oh Christ I didn't even know about those. I guess I should give it another try then. Do wooden spikes hurt the player or just mobs?

Actually, could I use cactuses the same way?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My solution was to make a bed on the first day. It's possible if you hustle.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh Christ I didn't even know about those. I guess I should give it another try then. Do wooden spikes hurt the player or just mobs?

Actually, could I use cactuses the same way?

Mobs won't path into cactus. They will path into wooden spikes. The wooden spikes do hurt you, but they can't kill you. (They won't completely kill mobs either, but they'll get reduced to half a heart.)

You don't want to take damage if you can help it. Having low health means your temperature changes more rapidly, and Spice of Life means that healing is limited until you can do enough quests to diversify your food supply.

A thing that can help in Forever Stranded is to use the chat command /tan tempinfo . That will print your current temperature on the left center of the screen, along with information about what's affecting your temperature and how fast it changes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nevets posted:

My solution was to make a bed on the first day. It's possible if you hustle.
This seems to be the only possible solution because I made some spikes and they're not helping since everything just piles in front of my loving door.

e: Unless I'm supposed to put the spikes right in front of my door, which I didn't think of until it was too late.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

This seems to be the only possible solution because I made some spikes and they're not helping since everything just piles in front of my loving door.

e: Unless I'm supposed to put the spikes right in front of my door, which I didn't think of until it was too late.

Putting spikes along the wall of your spaceship works, as the husks can detect you inside the ship and will move around to be closer to you. Park near the wall where the spikes are, and knock out one of the blocks to use as a murder hole. Watch out for Witches.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The spike strategy worked until I left the ship in the daytime and got killed by a witch I couldn't see, and now I'm just hosed because I can't kill the mobs without gear.

You die in this early, you might as well just restart because jesus christ.

e: yeah, now it's two witches. gently caress this pack.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah that poo poo ain't easy :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

The spike strategy worked until I left the ship in the daytime and got killed by a witch I couldn't see, and now I'm just hosed because I can't kill the mobs without gear.

Haha, this mirrors my experience exactly. Just as I started to get a handle on husks, two witches appeared and hosed me right over, and then my grave was lost forever a few steps outside my door.

Or you could say, forever stranded.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

/gamerule keepinventory true

Every pack

No exceptions

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Devor posted:

/gamerule keepinventory true

Every pack

No exceptions

Yup. There's basically zero reason to ever play with this off unless you're in a pack where this isn't a crippling issue to die, which is effectively none of them. Even packs with gravestones are various forms of bullshit.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
/gamemode 1

Every pack

No exceptions

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Against my better judgement I reinstalled and decided to try the "speedrun make a bed" strategy.

Which has worked so far for two days, but now my problem is that my heat seems to be topping out and I don't know how to reduce it.

Oh, and keepinventory true doesn't work on this pack. Of course.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Evil Mastermind posted:

Against my better judgement I reinstalled and decided to try the "speedrun make a bed" strategy.

Which has worked so far for two days, but now my problem is that my heat seems to be topping out and I don't know how to reduce it.

Oh, and keepinventory true doesn't work on this pack. Of course.

Stand in water or the orange coolant(?) in the back room of the ship to cool down. Stay hydrated, don't sprint, try and get the jelly armour as soon as you can.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If you want to play a magical-themed modpack with nonstandard progression, Pickle Pack: Magical 3 is pretty decent.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

frenzy posted:

/gamemode 1

Every pack

No exceptions

Tepid burn from the guy whose server has /back to make up for it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frenzy posted:

/gamemode 1

Every pack

No exceptions

imbecile

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

chode

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
I just edit mob damage to 0 that way I can't even die

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The level of grimdark edge in this thread is already silly, did we need more?

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
If the idea that removing any danger from Minecraft makes it boring is edgy then my next pack is gona be severing heads

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

frenzy posted:

If the idea that removing any danger from Minecraft makes it boring is edgy then my next pack is gona be severing heads

This started with a discussion over no pack of yours and then you uttering the dumbest comment since serifina made it.

Nice meltdown.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ah yes, the familiar old "any lowering of difficulty/increase of convenience is literally creative mode" argument.

If you really want to nurse a drink, take a shot every time frenzy posts without mentioning his pack.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Playstation 4 posted:

This started with a discussion over no pack of yours and then you uttering the dumbest comment since serifina made it.

Nice meltdown.

The only thing that melts me down is when I lose all my stuff in a videogame that's why I always make sure alright I'll stop

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
When Cloud got KOd vsthe shinra soldiers in my playthrough cause i lost all his HPs i literally melted down

My.house is a radioactive crater and.im an elephants toe send help pls.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yossame:

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
The question of keepinventory=true goes way beyond Minecraft itself and indeed, strikes into the heart and soul behind the purpose of why people play videogames in the first place, which is why I find it interesting. It makes you look deep inside, and ask yourself straight to your face, Why am I doing this? If Dark Souls let you keep your souls when you die, would people still lose their minds over it? A lot of people aren't a fan of Dark Souls, I get that, but ask yourself, if when everytime you died in Mario you started again exactly where you died would you still have such fond memories? If in every racing game you came in 1st regardless of pole position, are you really winning? These questions delve into the depths of why we do what we do. You could say Minecraft is a bad example because of the combat, which you'd be right if you approached combat head on, but escaping mobs can be fun too and I'd argue there might even be other ways to improve combat using certain mods specifically ones that add projectile weapons which I may or may not be working on myself but I'm telling you man, if you haven't ran through a cave with a pack of 20 random infernal lycanites mobs chasing you while you grab diamonds and emeralds left and right all while dodging attacks, buffed up on enchanted apples and Pam's pizza then escaped by blasting out an opening to the surface with an armored jetpack or MPS then you don't even know what you're missing cus it's fun af

frenzy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 20, 2017

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

frenzy posted:

lol i don't care about this thing, how can I be melting down when i'm clearly so flippant and ironic
Even your dumb exaggeration is lovely because dropping your souls in Dark Souls has never been the primary reason for difficulty or appeal ever, and removing it would still leave the core game basically unchanged except you'd have to 'bank' souls a little less.
Also in Minecraft you still go back to spawn after dying even with keepInventory, just like how in Mario you go back to the start of the level. The comparison was good and illustrated the point you were arguing against so you added some totally inaccurate feature like respawning in place to make it seem worse.

frenzy posted:

if you haven't ran through a cave with a pack of 20 random infernal lycanites mobs chasing you while you grab diamonds and emeralds left and right all while dodging attacks, buffed up on enchanted apples and Pam's pizza then escaped by blasting out an opening to the surface with an armored jetpack or MPS then you don't even know what you're missing cus it's fun af
I can still do this with keepInventory on.
The only actual difference is that if I die with it off, I now have to take a break from the action and fun you were describing to once again grind out the materials to make yet another armored jetpack, some golden apples, and more pizza.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Holy poo poo is Age of Engineering getting grindy. I've just reached the RFTools age and the recipes never really get any easier, each new age just add another layer of bullshit.

I did manage to get a builder quarry set up, though, which is nice. Next step is to make some ender chests and automate ore processing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

Holy poo poo is Age of Engineering getting grindy. I've just reached the RFTools age and the recipes never really get any easier, each new age just add another layer of bullshit.

I did manage to get a builder quarry set up, though, which is nice. Next step is to make some ender chests and automate ore processing.

What you want to do is get on UU-matter ASAP. You can clone ender io basic capacitors, ender io machine chassis, sturdy casings, RFTools machine frames, and IC2 advanced alloy/carbon fiber plates. These recipes are super cheap.

Check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/2/d/1kULBdP-qUidRKaZ25wF-rbCyNdLtlaczhJJ88Zdl5rI/pubhtml , specifically the "curated" tab.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao, even if there was a pack that makes random blocks on the surface explode when you walk on them there would still be people rushing out to defend it and calling people idiots for valuing their own time instead of going through the tedious process of collecting your poo poo every time you die. the whole question of 'why bother playing the game then' falls apart to me because i play the game to have fun. losing my junk because the poo poo poor combat system in the game randomly decided that i need to die isn't fun in the slightest for me. i don't need some random gently caress online trying to define how i should enjoy myself, especially since that differs from game to game for everyone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I no joke had a guy tell me that I was stupid for wanting to cheat my stuff back in after we all got dropped off the server in the middle of a creep fortress. He said we "should have been prepared for that, he is".

Ok fuckface, not only am I employed, but i've spent 6 hours grinding that poo poo up and i'm not doing it again. Especially as you've raided every decent creep fort in a 30 minute walk radius over the course of your 12 hour minecraft binge.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh I have prepared remarks on keeping inventory might as well being creative mode. If that is true, then having more than one life might as well be creative mode.

Some of this stuff does have to be put into a new perspective. I see a lot of packs now giving you some essential gear at the beginning in order to even function. If you die, you might as well delete the save if you don't have that stuff any more. It is virtually hardcore mode. IMO waiting out the mobs is not a way to counter that since we all don't have the free time for that.

I finally did play some Terraria and I see how a random world still splits up into areas of various difficulty. I would be a lot more forgiving of turning off keeping inventory if the player could seek out the challenges more from distance from spawn or digging depth. However, going down 64 blocks is pretty limiting and a random world is not guaranteed to have a good spawn.

It sounded like CoTT got something to increase difficulty over time, which sounded very thematic with its tower defense thing. Has a similar thing been done for biome and distance from spawn?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It sounded like CoTT got something to increase difficulty over time, which sounded very thematic with its tower defense thing. Has a similar thing been done for biome and distance from spawn?
IIRC the same mod that does the difficulty-over-time thing also increases difficulty based on distance from spawn, though it didn't seem to make that big a difference to me in CotT. By the time I was wandering large distances, I was nigh-invulnerable anyway. Might depend on how it's configured, though, and all it really affects is damage and health levels.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Halibut Barn posted:

IIRC the same mod that does the difficulty-over-time thing also increases difficulty based on distance from spawn, though it didn't seem to make that big a difference to me in CotT. By the time I was wandering large distances, I was nigh-invulnerable anyway. Might depend on how it's configured, though, and all it really affects is damage and health levels.

Do you know which mod it is?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you know which mod it is?

Looks like it's Scaling Health. And looking at the CotT config, the by-distance part isn't actually enabled there (look at the "Area Mode" setting), which explains why it didn't feel different...

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Vib Rib posted:

Even your dumb exaggeration is lovely because dropping your souls in Dark Souls has never been the primary reason for difficulty or appeal ever, and removing it would still leave the core game basically unchanged except you'd have to 'bank' souls a little less.
Also in Minecraft you still go back to spawn after dying even with keepInventory, just like how in Mario you go back to the start of the level. The comparison was good and illustrated the point you were arguing against so you added some totally inaccurate feature like respawning in place to make it seem worse.

I can still do this with keepInventory on.
The only actual difference is that if I die with it off, I now have to take a break from the action and fun you were describing to once again grind out the materials to make yet another armored jetpack, some golden apples, and more pizza.

You can't ignore how losing your inventory is the only consequence of death in Minecraft and by disabling that you're removing the only incentive to not die defeating the purpose of dying at all also have you heard of a bed. It changes your spawn point. Walking back to your death place isn't required, there are items that can get you back there. You don't have the same level of excitement over making it through the cave run unscathed if dying is meaningless, much like if you kept your souls do I really need to illustrate that? Removing the souls mechanic would completely change the game I don't even know how those words made it from your brain to your fingertips without you realizing this. If playing without absolutely any threat is the same as playing with a threat why keepinventory at all

dogstile posted:

Ok fuckface, not only am I employed, but i've spent 6 hours grinding that poo poo up and i'm not doing it again. Especially as you've raided every decent creep fort in a 30 minute walk radius over the course of your 12 hour minecraft binge.

sorry if you're a slave and don't have time in life to enjoy videogames. I think it's pretty obvious fun is relative and opinions will differ based on ones capacity to actually enjoy a game, Losing your inventory is literally the only consequence of death, and by making the game a safe space you're just cheating yourself but if you want to call that fun I'm not going to call you a retard, though I will try and throw you a lifeline by describing how you're wrong. I like how so many people itt get so worked up over one guy saying keepinventory=true is boring, I mean is that opinion not allowed to exist, am I wrong for feeling the things I feel, are my thoughts and ideas not valid. No one is going to take SA modded minecraft seriously if it's full of a bunch of whiny babies who can't stand to hear opposing views and rage out when they lose their potato gnishes to the point they make sure it never happens again by completely disabling the mechanic with an admin command, maybe that's part of why it's so dead around here

frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 20, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:popeye:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Is this a call for help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
No one else agrees that keepinventory=true lessens the game? Really? I'm the only person here with that opinion, ok that's fine you're still all wrong