Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm impressed at how on point the voice work is, it's like the cast hasn't aged a day since the 90s. So far I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Do we know when this is coming out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

I'm impressed at how on point the voice work is, it's like the cast hasn't aged a day since the 90s. So far I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Do we know when this is coming out yet?

Voice actors that are adults pretty much can sound the same for years if they take care of their voice. For instance take The Jetsons, a lot of people don't even know there was nearly 25 years between the first and second seasons and all the voices are done by the same people and sound exactly the same.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Frank Welker has been voicing Fred Jones for nearly 50 years and he's still doing great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waffleman_ posted:

Frank Welker has been voicing Fred Jones for nearly 50 years and he's still doing great.

Exactly. If you take care of your voice you can do the same voices for decades. I mean just look at Mel Blanc, really the only voice of his that degraded noticeably with age was Yosemite Sam and he didn't even take good care of his voice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

kefkafloyd posted:

This didn't seem like a trailer so much as a promo short with its own animation. Wouldn't surprise me if they used it as a way to get a bunch of easy jokes out of the way.

Still, the Nolanverse Really Really Big Man had me rolling.

I dunno, the way it ends kinda makes me think this is practically the start of the film. Like a quick prologue to show the cast being in space or whatever and then that happens to set up the stage for the rest of the movie.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's time for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea"...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

Voice actors that are adults pretty much can sound the same for years if they take care of their voice. For instance take The Jetsons, a lot of people don't even know there was nearly 25 years between the first and second seasons and all the voices are done by the same people and sound exactly the same.

Fair point. So have they said when this movie is coming out yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
No one remembers the 90s Timon and Pumbaa cartoon, which was weird as hell. It even had adult Simba show up occasionally and go along with their antics. (Well, those two were basically his foster parents for most of his adolescence, it's just like old times for him)

Also Lion King 1 1/2, which is basically the Rozencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead of the franchise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also Lion King 1 1/2, which is basically the Rozencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead of the franchise.

I've never bothered with any of the Disney direct to DVD sequels but I must admit I now want to get this as R&G is one of my favorite things ever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

X-O posted:

25 years what the gently caress? :psyduck:

I looked that up to make sure you weren't bullshitting and sure enough what the hell. More than the voices sounding the same, the show LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME. I always assumed the whole show was made back in the 60s :psyduck:

Inescapable Duck posted:

No one remembers the 90s Timon and Pumbaa cartoon, which was weird as hell. It even had adult Simba show up occasionally and go along with their antics. (Well, those two were basically his foster parents for most of his adolescence, it's just like old times for him)

The Timon and Pumbaa cartoon was loving hilarious anyone who disagrees can eat my butt. I also love Liong King 1 1/2. Lion King 2 is awful and I'm constantly baffled at the amount of people I see that say it's good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly remember the episode where Timon and Pumbaa work at a drive-thru. And apparently there's another one where they're in Ancient Greece. (I don't think there was a Hercules crossover, that was the Aladdin cartoon. Which is hella anachronistic for other reasons) Also there was one with a bottomless pit.

A lot of those 90s cartoons, especially the genre of Ren and Stimpy imitators, start blurring together.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There was definitely a fidelity difference between the two seasons of the Jetsons but said fidelity has most likely been shredded by the passage of time (much like how Detective Conan's first episode, being coming out just two years before Cowboy Bebop, looks like it was made in the 1970s now)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Macaluso posted:

25 years what the gently caress? :psyduck:

I looked that up to make sure you weren't bullshitting and sure enough what the hell. More than the voices sounding the same, the show LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME. I always assumed the whole show was made back in the 60s :psyduck:

The Jetsons was not nearly as popular as The Flintstones so it only ran for one season. There are definitely differences that let you know if you're watching a '60s episode or an '80s episode though. The theme song is different and sounds less like an actual jazz band playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUIkUg0e-P8

There's also no laugh tracks for the for '80s episodes, which may sound odd but remember The Flintstones and Jetsons were actual prime-time cartoon sitcoms made for adults and as such they had laugh tracks like every other sitcom. The '60s episodes also tend to focus primarily on George and Jane where the '80s episodes focus more on Judy, Elroy, Astro or Rosie.

And of course, the '80s episodes feature Orbitty. Unfortunately.

As for the shows looking the same, that's all a part of the patented Hanna-Barbera Collar Process used to cheap out on animation. They had a style and stuck to it to great success.

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 21, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Was there ever a successful example of a Orbitty/Scrappy Doo type character?

Like there was to have been a successful one which then spawned copycats.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ha I never gave the laugh track thing one though when I was a kid but that was a funny thing they did looking back on it. I mean I get why but it's still funny they had a laugh track and that it also worked??

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PhazonLink posted:

Was there ever a successful example of a Orbitty/Scrappy Doo type character?

Like there was to have been a successful one which then spawned copycats.

To be fair to Orbitty, he's actually one of the least egregious add-on characters and doesn't detract too much. On a level of Pebbles/Bamm-Bamm where it added to the show to a Scrappy Doo where it nearly ruined it, he's like halfway between Scrappy and the halfway point and most are bunched up right near Scrappy.

I never really posted in this thread much before but old rear end cartoons like the Hanna-Barbera, Looney Tunes, Walt Disney, Tom and Jerry, etc stuff is a pretty amazing subject that I've spent years reading about and researching just because it was all so innovative and long lasting. I mean most of the poo poo we grew up isn't nearly as good nor does any of it have such a great and interesting backstory.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 21, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The shame about Scrappy Doo was that apparently his initial idea was a good one, just not what would have jived with the show - the original idea was for him to be like the Chicken Hawk from Foghorn Leghorn although written to be more effectual, but I just reread the story and Standards and Practices rejected the idea because they didn't want to have a character who bucked the social trends of the rest of the group be in the right in any way, so after the writer thought the script was done they hired a third party to tone him down so hard as to become useless.

http://www.newsfromme.com/writings/scrappy-days/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think I'm the only one in the entire world who actually liked Scrappy. :v:

I don't think there was anyone in the Scooby Doo mythos that I didn't like.

I even liked Flim-Flam.

(Edit: Has Scooby Doo reached "mythos" status)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Craptacular! posted:

It's time for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea"...

My main worry with Miraculous is that they'll go "Holy crap, this show is an unexpectedly huge hit! Quick, let's run it straight into the ground with as many spinoffs and tie-ins as we possibly can!" They're already planning to use the New York special as a stealth pilot for two other Zag shows, (EDIT: and making a chibi Miraculous series as well) and announcing a live-action movie (which realistically would have to start preproduction now to make a 2019 date) before they've even aired the second season seems like they're both rushing and spreading themselves too thin.

Which would be a real drat shame, because they've got something that's caught the imagination of a lot of people. I was at a festival in Spain in spring, and there were more girls in fancy dress as Ladybug than boys as Marvel/DC superheroes combined.

EDIT: yesterday's Miraculous panel from Comic Con is on Youtube, and the table read the cast did of a scene from season 2 is hilarious, revealing Marinette's crush on Adrien to the world on live TV in a hugely embarrassing way. I hope they follow through with that rather than hitting the reset button!

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 21, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mostly remember the episode where Timon and Pumbaa work at a drive-thru. And apparently there's another one where they're in Ancient Greece. (I don't think there was a Hercules crossover, that was the Aladdin cartoon. Which is hella anachronistic for other reasons) Also there was one with a bottomless pit.

A lot of those 90s cartoons, especially the genre of Ren and Stimpy imitators, start blurring together.

Weird that's the episode I mostly remember too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The one I really remember is the one with the snail, because Timon said "it's not like we're in France, where snails are considered a delicacy", and I was like "wait... Timon knows what France is?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That seems odd given one of the defining traits of Timon and Pumbaa is that they love eating anything that crawls.

But it was one of those 90s shows where the setting is whatever the gently caress the writers feel like that week.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I dunno, the way it ends kinda makes me think this is practically the start of the film. Like a quick prologue to show the cast being in space or whatever and then that happens to set up the stage for the rest of the movie.

You're probably right, it just feels like a "Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way" kind of thing. Either way there were still a lot of great gags in it despite the obvious Starbucks one.

Rewatching it this morning it still feels weird how the show looks the same, yet also looks modern thanks to HD. It's kinda eerie.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nope still canon. The Lion King 2 villains even show up at one point.

Didn't they both die? Like the evil lioness' son is crushed by logs and she drowns or something. Then the rest of her pride joins Simba. Who's left to be evil?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Rewatching it this morning it still feels weird how the show looks the same, yet also looks modern thanks to HD. It's kinda eerie.

It's actually pretty great. Part of it is that it looks like the backgrounds still have that hand drawn sort of aesthetic with a faded coloring and sparse detail lines while the foreground (basically everything that's animated) is sharper and retains the same curvy style.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33uf3E4UT4

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Okay, so it's literally if Mordecai grew up and became an adult and everyone is humans. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Pyrotoad posted:

Didn't they both die? Like the evil lioness' son is crushed by logs and she drowns or something. Then the rest of her pride joins Simba. Who's left to be evil?

The Lion Guard takes place before Lion King 2 (or rather, after the first half of Lion King 2, when Kiara and Kovu meet as cubs); Kiara and Kion are siblings close in age, and Kion just never mentioned to Kiara that he met a black-maned lion cub who said he knew her. As far as I know there is no explanation for Kion's absence from Lion King 2.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just realized how weird it is in the Lion King 2 that they made Kuvo look like Scar even though he isn't his son. I guess sometime during the making of it they realized the movie ending with a romance between first cousins once removed. Then again Nala's father is apparently not Mufasa to avoid incest.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Okay, so it's literally if Mordecai grew up and became an adult and everyone is humans. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, there's a few moments in the trailer where it felt like they were playing up their new ability to make explicit adult jokes and references instead of merely inserting implicit adult jokes and references, but on the whole it looked good enough that I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
TBS has two other animated shows in development; one called Tarantula and the other called Final Space. They have sneak previews up but some of it is just in the story boarding stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Las4P_6GUWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCCj78gFGAg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They should just bring back Star Trek TAS.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Xelkelvos posted:

It's actually pretty great. Part of it is that it looks like the backgrounds still have that hand drawn sort of aesthetic with a faded coloring and sparse detail lines while the foreground (basically everything that's animated) is sharper and retains the same curvy style.

Definitely, that's a big part of it. Plus, the color isn't super saturated, and the line work has nice irregularities that look very traditional. They really took care in making sure the aesthetic matched up.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Annnd Hey Arnold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su8IHV0AH2o&t=36s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just started rewatching the original Rocko episodes, and I'd forgotten how good they were (just watched the first pair, Gym and Minimall). Partially because a lot of the jokes/social commentary flew over my head as a kid. An aspect I like is that Rocko is a milquetoast but not an idiot - his behaviour is fairly reasonable, he only falls into bad habits when pushed by Heifer. Also the moment in the first episode with Bev Bighead ploughing through the gymnasium wearing a piano is amazing, as well as the foreshadowing her dissatisfaction with her marriage by having her first appearance being coming onto the piano player. Also the minimall had a great gag with the child who was lost in the car park for 30 years looking for his mother's car - when Rocko and Heifer arrive on the top floor of the parking garage you see an old woman calling for her son -I never put together that that was the kids mother from before, I guess I thought it was an unrelated person with a similar problem when I was younger, I haven't watched it in decades.

Also rather cutting social commentary - the mall is right bang in the middle of the O-Town National Forest - federally protected land. Finally: "The Doggy-style bowl ride: Hope everyone's on their hands and knees!" was cheeky as hell, I guess they started that kind of gag early.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 21, 2017

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

First the Rocko trailer and now this. Nickelodeon is really gunning for that 90s nostalgia money, aren't they? Still hyped though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never really watched any of the Nick original stuff as a kid except for the first run Ren and Stimpy so I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Rocko's Modern Life. Other than WB stuff my cartoon exposure after 1995 or so is pretty much anemic. And for anything after 2000 it's pretty much just Ninja Turtles, Last Airbender, Archer and various comic book stuff.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Macrame_God posted:

First the Rocko trailer and now this. Nickelodeon is really gunning for that 90s nostalgia money, aren't they? Still hyped though.

Yeah that's kinda the reason I posted at all, someone suggested the Rocko thing was gonna be about this subject; but godamn nothing seems to die anymore but flesh and blood humans.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

I'm still utterly astonished this movie is actually getting made. I know the creator was agitating for it for a while, but I never would have thought Hey Arnold was notable enough or had enough of a following for the network to decide to actually give the finale the green light.

X-O posted:

I never really watched any of the Nick original stuff as a kid except for the first run Ren and Stimpy so I don't think I've ever seen an episode of Rocko's Modern Life. Other than WB stuff my cartoon exposure after 1995 or so is pretty much anemic. And for anything after 2000 it's pretty much just Ninja Turtles, Last Airbender, Archer and various comic book stuff.

At a minimum you should check out Over the Garden Wall if you've got a chance. It's got some great animation, haunting music, and killer atmosphere, and it's only a hair under two hours to binge through it to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

How...how did they get footage of me when my wife's wearing yoga pants?