Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cimber posted:

What do people think Chuck's mental illness was? I asked my wife, who has a masters in psycology and she said he likely had schizophrenia.

electromagnetic hypersensitivity is a "real" disorder. when i say "real" i mean like morgellons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
mike looks the same.gif

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ditty bout my clitty posted:

That is the craziest thing I've read on this subforum, and there are posts from people enjoying the 100 here.
1 and 2 were glacially paced, 3 was disjointed and skipped around but wasn't necessarily too fast.

3 was the "best" season so far but also the weakest to me. It's hard to describe. Weakest in terms of overall pacing and coherency. Strongest in terms of watchable episodes and things happening. It became less about fleshing out the world and characters episode by episode and more about knocking as many milestones out of the park as possible. Don't get me wrong, they did develop that stuff, but at other times they kind of just abruptly closed doors or stopped focusing on it. It felt like the hector stroke thing should have been next season with a bit more attention paid to the tension there OR the tension only being portrayed through Mike the whole time (so you don't get as clear of a view and there are less characters to focus on), and it felt like they had a strict goal of "Saul+Kim firm ends this season" and pacing suffered on the back half of the season as a result, because they had other things they decided to stuff into the season.

It felt like it was S3 and half of S4, where some of the S4 half are things that could have realistically happened near the end of S4. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's just because the scope of the show has gotten broader and broader each season that it felt that way.

Overall, looking forward to next season.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 8, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

The Siege of AR-558 was a real good episode too

Actually so was The Thaw, despite being a Voyager episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Thaw was a great episode that didn't deserve to be stuck in Voyager.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
Cool all those actors stopped doing garbage tv good for them

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Michael McKean got snubbed big time from the Emmys. No nomination for him. Instead Jonathan Banks get a nod in Supporting Actor.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 13, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bob Odenkirk did get nominated

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The list I was looking at wasn't updated, my bad

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Michael McKean got snubbed big time from the Emmys. No nomination for him. Instead Jonathan Banks get a nod in Supporting Actor.

It takes a lot of acting chops to make a literal cement drying scene entertaining.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Yeah, what on earth. Are these awards for the season before this one? Banks all but disappeared by the end of the season.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

And another snub on Rhea :/

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

And another snub on Rhea :/

They normally don't nominate wallpaper

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

They normally don't nominate wallpaper

modern family wins awards every year actually

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Michael McKean really deserved it. Particularly since he is not coming back.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

though I guess some people pretend the comedy categories don't exist or whatever. I think Rhea is Good though

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Michael McKean really deserved it. Particularly since he is not coming back.

We'll see. Maybe he survives? Or next season is all a flashback to 20 years ago starring Chuck? Maybe Chuck gets the next Breaking Bad spinoff? Vince could make it a trilogy

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
CHUCKSBACK

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Better gently caress Chuck.

I'm sure that's already been said.

Anyway, Michael Mckeen deserves any and all accolades.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

We'll see. Maybe he survives?

This is like when people wondered whether Gale really died in BB. Chuck's toast.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyway, Michael Mckeen deserves any and all accolades.

The Emmy Nomination committee gave him merely a two word review: it just said "poo poo sandwich".

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What did Jonathan Banks do this season to get a emmy nom? I could look at people with binoculars and take cars apart.

This is like when Peter Dinklage keeps getting nominated over Alfie Allen despite Dinklage's character doing nothing for the past two years of GoT.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

some guy on the bus posted:

What did Jonathan Banks do this season to get a emmy nom? I could look at people with binoculars and take cars apart.

This is like when Peter Dinklage keeps getting nominated over Alfie Allen despite Dinklage's character doing nothing for the past two years of GoT.

He was incredible in Five-O, and incredible in general, but yeah, this season, I feel like he didn't even have the option to show any range or really do anything. Like, this year, it wouldn't have been his fault if he wasn't nominated.

Meanwhile, Chuck/Mckeen has had a LOT of range this season, especially in the courtroom scene.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We'll see. Maybe he survives? Or next season is all a flashback to 20 years ago starring Chuck? Maybe Chuck gets the next Breaking Bad spinoff? Vince could make it a trilogy
Only chance is a flashback which they may already have filmed

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Jonathan Banks was great as always but yeah this season was McKean's season.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jonathan Banks got a nomination because he's been nominated several times before, not because he deserved it this year. McKean not getting the nod is bullshit. He wasn't just the best supporting actor on the cast, he was the best actor on the cast period.

Assless Chaps
May 7, 2007

*ding*
Clapping Larry

InfiniteZero posted:

The Emmy Nomination committee gave him merely a two word review: it just said "poo poo sandwich".

I love you so much.

I also love Jonathan Banks, and he's great, but I can't fathom how he got nominated over Michael McKean (not that he shouldn't have been nominated, I guess, but instead of McKean?).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope Aziz Ansari wins a "Best Actor" emmy for Master of None. It'll totally prove the whole "surround yourself with worse to look better" idea.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jonathan Banks got a nomination instead of McKean because the Emmys are driven by inertia. Once you're established as Someone The Emmys Nominate, they'll just keep on doing it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

InfiniteZero posted:

"They can't print that"

McKean got hosed over big time. His was the most compelling performance I've seen on a TV show in some time, especially this season. Banks is great but has been rather "one note" for most of the series and I wouldn't call him exceptional. poo poo, Rhea Seehorn, Michael Mando and Giancarlo Esposito would be more deserving than Banks I think.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I mean, this just shows that Emmy voters literally don't watch any part of the shows they nominate. Not even, like, a For Your Consideration clip. Because they couldn't make this mistake if they did.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah the fact that his best episode is nominated but he wasn't shows it wasn't actually watched.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

some guy on the bus posted:

For those of you that don't live in LA: You're right. They don't bother watching the episodes, or the clips.

No, around here, they put up HUGE billboards with the words "FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION" stamped on them in the hopes that the Emmy people will see the billboards and go "Oh, yeah." Better Call Saul had a considerable amount of them this year, outnumbering most others 2:1, and they always featured Saul himself or Mike, and never Chuck.

And there you go. Award panels are poo poo.

ED: I will say Saul's award billboards and ads in general are a million times more visually interesting than almost everything else, including HBO shows. Whoever handles that stuff really gets the vibe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vegetable posted:

I mean, this just shows that Emmy voters literally don't watch any part of the shows they nominate. Not even, like, a For Your Consideration clip. Because they couldn't make this mistake if they did.

Well, they didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater because then all you have is a wet, critically injured baby.

But yeah, as good as Banks was/is, he's like the 4th or 5th best performance in a show full of absolutely stellar acting. To me, the acting in BCS pretty much carries the entire show and McKean just wrecked that poo poo even though he was surrounded with so many other great efforts. I wonder if that fact actually worked to his detriment. Meaning, in practically any other show he'd be an obvious standout but in the context of BCS there were almost too many good choices.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, they didn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater because then all you have is a wet, critically injured baby.

This has always been my favourite line from the movie, well-done.

:golfclap:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

InfiniteZero posted:

That's just nit-picking.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Jonathan Banks got a nomination instead of McKean because the Emmys are driven by inertia. Once you're established as Someone The Emmys Nominate, they'll just keep on doing it.

Otherwise known as the Meryl Streep Effect.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
when your nomination committee is a bunch of stodgy middle aged people, they pick the guy who makes being old look like badass patience and meticulousness over the guy who makes being old look like a downward spiral of lonely paranoia every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
https://twitter.com/breakingdril/status/882979415025532928

https://twitter.com/breakingdril/status/886912241705992192

https://twitter.com/breakingdril/status/887682932596391938

• Locked thread