Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's absurd how far above every other weapon in the game the awakened Master Sword is. If you look at it in terms of the damage a weapon can do before it breaks (attack power x number of hits), the second most powerful sword in the game is the Savage Lynel sword, which can do 2378 damage (58 attack power x 41 hits). The awakened Master Sword can do 11280 damage (60 attack power x 188 hits). That's almost five times it's closest competition.

Oh, and the sword beams totally work for archery koroks. Their range is based on your number of hearts, but temporary hearts are counted in the calculation, so if you can't reach a target, just eat some hearty food to boost your beams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Pug Rodeo posted:

What are you abusing? There's no right or wrong way to do anything in this game.

I'd argue getting the majora's mask as soon as you get off the plateau skips a lot of the interesting challenges the game has to offer. But yea, play this game the way you want!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WalrusWhiskers posted:

I'd argue getting the majora's mask as soon as you get off the plateau skips a lot of the interesting challenges the game has to offer. But yea, play this game the way you want!

This, but twilight bow. I'm actually glad I didn't get it until I found over 450 Koroks and every other drat thing in the game on my own. It's like too good.

I have no problem using it to help farm the last few dozen koroks post-game, though.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
White archery bokoblins on horseback are loving dirty. First time I've rage quit the game in the middle of a fight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WalrusWhiskers posted:

The DLC seems like a big mishmash of things you really want for a first time playthrough and things that kind of ruin a first playthrough.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I killed a Lynel that was thrashing me pretty hard and when I picked up his gear I realized why; his sword had 90 attack (got a really nice shield off him too).
I know they can go higher than that but that's the best one that I've picked up so far.
e: also I was trying out the stasis/spin thing and I think I prefer the guard/stun/mount strategy better.

Only 10 more shrines then I'll wrap up, I can tell I'm winding down on it but it's been a super fun game and it'll be nice to come back to it for the second DLC so I want to give it a break til then.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That's my plan I think, I finally went and beat Ganon after 205 hours, with all shrines, most of my gear fully upgraded, and 454 Koroks. I wanted to save beating Ganon until I was winding down, but before I got burned out, and I think I timed it just about right. I might still try the middle sword trial again, but other than that I think I'm done until I can take a fresh look at it when the second DLC hits.

What a great game though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Bloop posted:

This, but twilight bow. I'm actually glad I didn't get it until I found over 450 Koroks and every other drat thing in the game on my own. It's like too good.

I have no problem using it to help farm the last few dozen koroks post-game, though.

If you like the twilight bow, buy a couple ancient bows from Robbby. They use ammo, but they have the same lack of falloff distance and you don't have to savescum amiibo for them :eng101:

Big McHuge posted:

White archery bokoblins on horseback are loving dirty. First time I've rage quit the game in the middle of a fight.

I got salty as gently caress when a gold on a horse shot me to death through the head of the guardian I was trying to keep between me and it.

Cojawfee posted:

The DLC seems like a big mishmash of things you really want for a first time playthrough and things that kind of ruin a first playthrough.

There's arguably a lot of that in this game, between the DLC armor, the auto-full health/stamina food, and the fact that you can get endgame weapons a minute or two off the plateau if you're gutsy enough to go for them.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It sucks cos I bought BOTW and the DLC but if I want to get the end of year DLC I'll have to update my Wii U and lose my homebrew

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Disregard I forgot it doesn't affect haxchi

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

WalrusWhiskers posted:

It sucks because the monster masks the game already had were amazing and well-balanced-- you could fool any one species of monster, but if you wanted to walk into a mixed enemy camp, you had to take out all but one kind, and the game didn't let you purchase all masks right off the bat.

Now, you can get the mega mask for free the second you hop off the plateau, and it's far worse than something like the Hylian Shield because the game sign-posts it for you. You can't go through the game without it shouting at you "HEY, CHECK OUT THIS COOL ITEM." And it could have easily been avoided if they just did the logical thing and had Kilton sell the drat mask, maybe as a super-expensive ultimate item after all four Divine Beasts are beaten.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can also shoot them down with arrows and get both the rushroom and your arrow back

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spergatory posted:

It sucks because the monster masks the game already had were amazing and well-balanced-- you could fool any one species of monster, but if you wanted to walk into a mixed enemy camp, you had to take out all but one kind, and the game didn't let you purchase all masks right off the bat.

Now, you can get the mega mask for free the second you hop off the plateau, and it's far worse than something like the Hylian Shield because the game sign-posts it for you. You can't go through the game without it shouting at you "HEY, CHECK OUT THIS COOL ITEM." And it could have easily been avoided if they just did the logical thing and had Kilton sell the drat mask, maybe as a super-expensive ultimate item after all four Divine Beasts are beaten.

Or... ya know, considering most folks do Master Mode as a second playthrough, you could just... not get it if you don't want to use it? Having Kilton sell it after all Divine Beasts are beaten is a terrible idea, because Majora's Mask is most useful right at the beginning of the game when everything one-shots you and all your weapons suck. That thing was a lifesaver in helping me get to Hyrule Castle and pick up some not-sucky weapons after I had a miserable time on the Great Plateau. It's a tool. You can use it or not use it. It's not like the game forces you to pick it up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can also shoot them down with arrows and get both the rushroom and your arrow back

Sometimes.

I do that for korok apple trees and cacti, though. Skewer that final fruit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Or... ya know, considering most folks do Master Mode as a second playthrough, you could just... not get it if you don't want to use it? Having Kilton sell it after all Divine Beasts are beaten is a terrible idea, because Majora's Mask is most useful right at the beginning of the game when everything one-shots you and all your weapons suck. That thing was a lifesaver in helping me get to Hyrule Castle and pick up some not-sucky weapons after I had a miserable time on the Great Plateau. It's a tool. You can use it or not use it. It's not like the game forces you to pick it up.

We're talking about first playthrough. People who buy the game and dlc after this pack is released are going to have a very different first playthrough experience than people who played it before that, and that experience is arguably worse because of the ease with which game-breaking items are obtained, and the fact that the game itself literally sign-posts you towards them.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Totally agree. The original masks were well-balanced since they were hard to initially find and buy, and they only affected one enemy at a time. Majora's mask should have been something that Kilton sold for a very high MP price, but not gated behind clearing the divine beasts first because I feel like that goes against the spirit of the game of letting you do things in any order you want.

This way, you couldn't cheese hyrule castle from the beginning of the game and you'd either have to do some work farming MP or get good at sneaking and evading enemies. It's not like it's that hard to get into Hyrule Castle from the beginning in master mode and grab some good weapons anyways if you know what you're doing. It would also let starting players experience more of the interesting combat scenarios that the game has to offer, instead of just sneaking by every enemy encampment. The initial road to the Zora's comes to mind as a fun combat section that would otherwise be spoiled by MM.

WalrusWhiskers fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 20, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

once again, Gorons are the best race and are your friends and OSHA compliant

Can Gorons get concussions?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Bow slots maxing out with one blank spot in the inventory is very irritating.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

that slot is reserved for the Bow of Light ;)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I tried to sneak the bow of light backwards out of the boss fight just to fill it up, no luck though :negative:

e: In hindsight, I did get multiple bows of light, I wonder if I can overfill my bows and accidentally overwrite arrow slots...

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

The Twilight Bow was destined to be the #1 item for farming Dragon Parts and I will cry the day mine finally breaks. Feels like it's the rarest drop for its amiibo.

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 20, 2017

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ProjektorBoy posted:

The Twilight Bow was destined to be the #1 item for farming Dragon Parts and I will cry the day mine finally breaks. Feels like it's the rarest drop for its amiibo.

Just do like me and play the reload game every day until you have a stock of them. :getin:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Things I didn't know Iron Sledgehammers could do:
- Break bombable walls and piles of rocks.
- Kill Pebblits in one hit.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

.TakaM posted:

that slot is reserved for the Bow of Light ;)

Yea and I can't keep it and I'm mad as hell :mad:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Spergatory posted:

Hah, just realized I never learned the name of those things. I've been calling them "rock boys" in my head.

I should probably use the camera more.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kaysette posted:

Hah, just realized I never learned the name of those things. I've been calling them "rock boys" in my head.

I should probably use the camera more.

I call them "Mini-Talluses" and you can't tell me I'm wrong. :colbert:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Silver Falcon posted:

I call them "Mini-Talluses" and you can't tell me I'm wrong. :colbert:

This is the correct name and I refuse to hear otherwise.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure Rock Boy is the correct answer

Large Rock Son

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Little Bastards That Punch Link in the Dick.

Anyway, trials done gently caress that was stressful. Middle were the hardest. Last room was fun. Ancient Arrow for Lynel, climb tower, break turret, rain bomb arrows down on the fuckers below. Just wish I knew it was the last, kept back some resources just in case.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God drat I only have 4 shield slots to go and somehow there are still several hundred Koroks out there even tho I'm struggling to find them :psyduck:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty sure Rock Boy is the correct answer

Large Rock Son

Faithful residents of Tarry Town, I see.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hope DLC2 adds a Lynelson that just chills in Tarrey Town.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If dlc 2 does not add registering lynels and bears as horses I will be mad enough to post here about it :ssj:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord of the Mountain too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh man, I just froze a moblin and his bokoblin friends started sliding him around. I love this game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If dlc 2 does not add registering lynels and bears as horses I will be mad enough to post here about it :ssj:

Kyton should open a stable just for monster mounts

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just hit 100 shrines on my Master Mode save and maxed out hearts. Just the third wheel to finish up with the remaining 20 shrines which are mostly shrine quest / mission related. I’ll probably knock out the final trials first, do the last shrines, then start working on the divine beasts. Playing the game again once you know your way and how to do poo poo is way more fun. You lose the whole explore and wonder aspect of a first play through but there’s fun to be had in crushing the world to your whim.

cats
May 11, 2009

Spergatory posted:

I like picking those guys up and watching their tiny rock legs scramble in panic.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The Bloop posted:

Kyton should open a stable just for monster mounts

god, this is so good and obvious and now i'm mad that it isn't already implemented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh man, I just froze a moblin and his bokoblin friends started sliding him around. I love this game.

Finding new and inventive ways to torment monsters is one the greatest pleasures in this game.