Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Let he who has not gone out of their way to shoot/hack/taunt every scientologist, bronie and furry the DedSec app identifies cast the first stone.

I just robbed every software engineer blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Captain Lavender posted:

*cough

I loved RE4, I'm sure it was my GOTY whatever year it came out. I'll always remember playing those challenges to get the Hand Cannon. Particularly, playing as Hunk, where all you had to do was pap someone in the face with an uzi bullet, then melee boot them for a huge combo and an easy high score.

I did everything in Re4 but I could never play mercenaries,it's too stressful and it makes my stomach hurt.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

*cough

I loved RE4, I'm sure it was my GOTY whatever year it came out. I'll always remember playing those challenges to get the Hand Cannon. Particularly, playing as Hunk, where all you had to do was pap someone in the face with an uzi bullet, then melee boot them for a huge combo and an easy high score.

Insanely high on the village because the chainsaw women were susceptible to his nick snap.
Also I don't know if that Ashley inventory game joke was meant to sound terrible but I want that game.

Favourite little thing for me recently: I adore how much design overlap (both game and visual) there is with Final Fantasy 12 and Vagrant Story/Final Fantasy Tactics. It even calls back to the GBA game a lot too.
I never gave it a chance on its original release but goddamn if I haven't been in love with the Zodiac Age rerelease. I was a huge fan of VS and FFT so it just needed the zodiac job system for it to click for me.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sad lions posted:

Favourite little thing for me recently: I adore how much design overlap (both game and visual) there is with Final Fantasy 12 and Vagrant Story/Final Fantasy Tactics. It even calls back to the GBA game a lot too.
I never gave it a chance on its original release but goddamn if I haven't been in love with the Zodiac Age rerelease. I was a huge fan of VS and FFT so it just needed the zodiac job system for it to click for me.

Audio, too. The soundtrack is SO Final Fantasy Tactics and I loving love it.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Strife posted:

That too! Also the way they handle a defeated boss (camera and sound effects) comes almost straight out of Vagrant Story.
I always wanted a sequel to VS but this is the next best thing.

Also it's really neat/creepy that (second esper spoiler) Mateus isn't the woman you see. She's just some Ice goddess who he kidnapped and bound to him to use as a human shield.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Strife posted:

That's all Hitoshi Sakimoto. He has a pretty recognizable style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvaZ1F7Ox8

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sad lions posted:

Also I don't know if that Ashley inventory game joke was meant to sound terrible but I want that game.

On my phone so I can't pull it up but years ago some made a "demake" of STALKER that was just a standalone inventory tetris puzzle game like that.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
It's been awhile, but I recall f2p 3rd person shooter Ghost Recon Phantoms having really fluid leaning mechanics and animations that felt great. Basically, if you took cover behind a wall or a balcony railing, there was a surprisingly large degree of aiming you could achieve from that position, and your character would gradually lean into a suitable position based on where you're aiming. The standout for me was that, from a railing, your character could lean completely over the railing to shoot enemies directly below him. Most games just have your character pop out of cover into a static pose, instead of leaning out gradually, and most games also severely limit the angles you can shoot from out of cover (usually being 'straight ahead', so you'd never be able to shoot people directly below you). For a f2p game, I haven't really seen a lot of games come close to that level of cover-shooting control. Has anything come close to that nowadays?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mierenneuker posted:

Back in the day I played a mod for the original Unreal Tournament called Infiltration (think ARMA). I think I killed more people with the direct impact of grenade shells than by them hitting a surface and detonating. It was pretty hilarious.

My proudest gaming moment was winning a Counterstrike match by hitting a dude in the head with a smoke grenade.
It does exactly one point of damage.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Total War: Warhammer is easily the best entry in the TW series yet, and that is largely because of just how different every faction plays and 'feels'.

I just picked up the Beastmen DLC and its amazing how completely different they play compared to the vanilla factions even though they don't really have anything exclusive to their faction. They still use spears, arrows and cavalry, but the general strategy feels a lot different.

You have a lot of units that are extremely mobile (since a lot of them have goat legs) which allows you to take advantage of terrain (especially trees) much more easily than the slow humans. On top of which you have some really great 'linebuster' units for charging into enemy lines and breaking up their formations, causing general chaos. Combined with the extreme mobility of your wing units you basically swallow your enemy up like a tidal wave of horns and teeth.

You know about the Hammer and Anvil tactic? Well your whole army is the hammer and it's freaking awesome.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What Remains of Edith Finch is the antidote to the Dear Esther game. It's like a walking simulator in that you walk around looking at stuff while somebody narrates, but this time there are actual gameplay sections and all the narration is given context. You read the last journal entry of your grand-uncle who lived in a bunker for decades before deciding to leave, and you get to experience his escape. Your grand-aunt was horribly murdered, and her story is told in an interactive comic book with the actual Halloween theme playing. You find a message on divorce papers from a man to his ex-wife consoling her for neglecting her baby son in the bathtub, and you get to play the baby when it happens.

The only character I didn't give a poo poo about was the idiot who flew a kite in a storm.

What helps is that you see actual people in this game, unlike Dear Esther and Gone Home, since they spent a buck on character models, while they frame each scene with people carefully so there's no need for complex lip-syncing.There's a lot of expressing with hands, like your unfortunate brother who chops the heads of fish all day until he starts daydreaming at work to a fatal extent, but not the way you'd think it happens.

Dear Esther was just a pretentious randomly-jumbled mess with no emotional or mental edge with little input from the player. Gone Home was OK, but for such a big house the story was too slight since it narrows in on one character to the extent that the protagonist was irrelevant, and the ending was too sickly for my tastes. Edith Finch actually works because it is a story with a lot to tell, and a lot to infer, but you're never fobbed with the plot being ambiguous for it's own sake.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dear Esther's use of recombinant metaphor/motif was brilliant and I will not hear it argued otherwise.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Dear Esther's use of recombinant metaphor/motif was brilliant and I will not hear it argued otherwise.

That game is legit one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played. Also the music is amazing. I have no idea why that game has stuck with me since.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I loving love Dear Esther. The distinction people make saying "walking simulators" are not games makes no sense to me. It's such a stupid delineation- it's certainly it's own genre, but "game" is so nebulous it can mean whatever you want. It's about as pointless as trying to determine what art is and is not.

The little thing I love about dear Esther is the semi-random voiceover- it's intentionally not giving you a straightforward narrative. Even though people usually are going to only play through it once so aren't going to realize that's whats going on, I appreciate the idea. It steers the player from the goal based story lines we are used to (wife die me sick and sad) to focus on the little snippets of prose itself as we go through the environment. I like the shift.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Jul 20, 2017

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I came into Dear Esther blind and found myself scared out of my mind in the beginning.

The game really set the tone of isolation super loving well.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
In the game bitching thread Diablo 3 story came up and I love Diablo 2's cinematics. D1 had barely any, D3 was full of them and while beautiful, they were boring and cliche as gently caress. But this one moment in the epilogue to Diablo 2 stuck out to me and gives me goosebumps to this day.

In Diablo you kill Diablo but your main character decides the only safe place to keep the soulstone is their forehead. This turned out to be incredibly stupid seeing as it made Diablo even more powerful and the whole reason D2 even happened. gently caress hero of Tristram, no the real hero of the whole Diablo saga is the character you've been playing in Diablo 2. The world's gone to poo poo. Monsters are all over Sanctuary you soon learn what happened. So you go after Diablo into the hell itself, you loving kill off all of hell and finally Diablo. And does our hero get all "hmm maybe I should put this up my rear end for safekeeping"? No you loving take diablo's and his brothers soulstones to the hellforge lined with corpses with demons you killed on your way and go "Which one of these is Diablo? Eh doesn't matter" *SMASH* "...aaand the other one" *THUNDER BAM*. And that's loving that. You hosed up everyone's poo poo up so bigly, that Baal, loving Lord of Destruction visits mental asylum real low key in order to steal his own soulstone on the sly from a poo poo encrusted old man because you don't wanna gently caress with the guy who did that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUgRP69dx8

Love it.

Vic has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jul 20, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

On my phone so I can't pull it up but years ago some made a "demake" of STALKER that was just a standalone inventory tetris puzzle game like that.

Yeah, S.T.A.C.K.E.R.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Digirat posted:

Yeah, S.T.A.C.K.E.R.

Cool. S.T.A.C.K.E.R. runs in Wine on Linux just fine.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

TontoCorazon posted:

I came into Dear Esther blind and found myself scared out of my mind in the beginning.

The game really set the tone of isolation super loving well.
There's a cave near the beginning of Dear Esther that scared the crap out of me. All that's in there is some weird graffiti but the sound design is real effective at tripping my GET OUT GET OUT switch.

The silent watchers are also eerie as hell.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The voice acting in Dear Esther is also really great and helps add to the disquiet.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
But guys don't you know it's not a game? :smug:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Vic posted:

In the game bitching thread Diablo 3 story came up and I love Diablo 2's cinematics. D1 had barely any, D3 was full of them and while beautiful, they were boring and cliche as gently caress. But this one moment in the epilogue to Diablo 2 stuck out to me and gives me goosebumps to this day.

In Diablo you kill Diablo but your main character decides the only safe place to keep the soulstone is their forehead. This turned out to be incredibly stupid seeing as it made Diablo even more powerful and the whole reason D2 even happened. gently caress hero of Tristram, no the real hero of the whole Diablo saga is the character you've been playing in Diablo 2. The world's gone to poo poo. Monsters are all over Sanctuary you soon learn what happened. So you go after Diablo into the hell itself, you loving kill off all of hell and finally Diablo. And does our hero get all "hmm maybe I should put this up my rear end for safekeeping"? No you loving take diablo's and his brothers soulstones to the hellforge lined with corpses with demons you killed on your way and go "Which one of these is Diablo? Eh doesn't matter" *SMASH* "...aaand the other one" *THUNDER BAM*. And that's loving that. You hosed up everyone's poo poo up so bigly, that Baal, loving Lord of Destruction visits mental asylum real low key in order to steal his own soulstone on the sly from a poo poo encrusted old man because you don't wanna gently caress with the guy who did that.

Love it.

Dude, the scene for act II where Marius is all " It was then that I realized he hadn't been gaining in strength, he had been losing what was left of his... humanity"
I loving LOVE that line.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Vic posted:

Love it.

It's even better if you play as a Barbarian. They're the only class to return, and they're loving pissed after their home got wiped out at the end of D2.

They originally planned to make the male Barbarian the same character, but that would require way too many unique lines to work.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

rear end creed syndicate has good and bad things, and some standard rear end creed stuff, but I like that my gang becomes a bunch of murder machines sweeping Templar hunts and factories out while i chill to swoop in and claim the glory.

Edit: the murder the doctor mission was pretty cool too, with them trying to find other ways to make it happen other than just rockup and stab the dude. They straight stole the hitman mission by having you play a corpse though

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Vic posted:

You hosed up everyone's poo poo up so bigly, that Baal, loving Lord of Destruction visits mental asylum real low key in order to steal his own soulstone on the sly from a poo poo encrusted old man because you don't wanna gently caress with the guy who did that.

Baal is a man who loves his job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp20voR11gs&hd=1

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Half-Life 2 Episode 1: There's a scene where you climb out of a basement into some desultory street fighting. A rebel with an RPG spawns here, and for once he may actually get some kills. It was pretty funny to be shooting at a soldier only to see him randomly explode and fly off the screen at high velocity, and even funnier when the rebel in question celebrated his success with a vaguely psychotic chuckle.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I love how accommodating A Link to the Past is for speedy play if you know what you're doing. Most of the Zeldas since Ocarina have had a lot of pacing issues and downtime between dungeons but LttP doesn't gently caress around. You can go directly to Eastern Palace directly after the castle escape if you want, and once you reach the Dark World your only option is to go directly to Palace of Darkness, which is a nice wake up call since the crystal dungeons are much harder than the pendant ones.

I remember the game took me a good while to beat on my first playthrough (in part because it's pretty challenging for a rookie) but I fired the game up for the first time in 3 years and I was flying through the dungeons and loving the pacing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

I love how accommodating A Link to the Past is for speedy play if you know what you're doing. Most of the Zeldas since Ocarina have had a lot of pacing issues and downtime between dungeons but LttP doesn't gently caress around. You can go directly to Eastern Palace directly after the castle escape if you want, and once you reach the Dark World your only option is to go directly to Palace of Darkness, which is a nice wake up call since the crystal dungeons are much harder than the pendant ones.

I remember the game took me a good while to beat on my first playthrough (in part because it's pretty challenging for a rookie) but I fired the game up for the first time in 3 years and I was flying through the dungeons and loving the pacing.

It's kind of weird how the design of Zelda games in general have shifted since OoT. Most LttP bosses don't even really have a gimmick to them, or if they do it's not usually super necessary and they almost all just die to being slashed a bunch, it's rarely ever "find the dungeon item, use the dungeon item, then hit the boss a few times. Repeat two or three times over" which was a thing that really became enforced after OoT's popularity.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Only a couple bosses require the dungeon item to actually beat -- I think just the Darkness, Swamp and Ice bosses. And yeah, it's just a case of mashing the item key until it stops working before transitioning to sword.

Although my favorite is the Turtle Rock boss, which requires the Ice Rod... an item you can get before Eastern Palace and has no real use anywhere until you're locked in the boss room. :haw:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The best thing about Link to the Past was thinking that Agahnim was some fat, bowl-cutted Porky-looking dork and I still prefer that to how he's "supposed" to look.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I absolutely love the LttP sprites and I wish pink hair Link was given some kind of acknowledgement in games that have skin options like Smash or Hyrule Warriors.

Man LttP is such a fuckin good as hell video game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

I absolutely love the LttP sprites and I wish pink hair Link was given some kind of acknowledgement in games that have skin options like Smash or Hyrule Warriors.

Man LttP is such a fuckin good as hell video game.

I wish the Oracle/Minish Cap Links got their representation too but since Capcom made those games and not Nintendo they're basically persona non grata. Especially Oracle Link and his adorable animal pals.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
If you haven't seen it, watch the recent SGDQ Link to the Past, no sword run. It's pretty amazing by itself and has the best commentary of the whole week of games.

edit: https://youtu.be/DSkrK0-EIVY

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Andy is an absolute machine of a speed runner. LttP is a really hard game when you're going fast and skipping safety items like fairies, extra hearts and the blue mail.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

This is after he got his soulstone and we all know how this went for him.

Never gently caress with the d2 hero.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude, the scene for act II where Marius is all " It was then that I realized he hadn't been gaining in strength, he had been losing what was left of his... humanity"
I loving LOVE that line.

I'm partial to "I heard a voice then... like a thousand needles in my heart!"

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wish I could find it again, but someone made a real neat flash based game of Inventory Tetris. You played as a grunt trailing behind a brave knight. He'd advance forward, defeating enemies and you had to heal him up and arrange his backpack in order to keep all the loot, healing items and power ups, weapons etc.

I remember it being really good and in-depth. Might have been rose tinted glasses though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

After seeing an L.P. of it, I got round to playing Prey. Going through the tutorial which teaches you basic movement/interaction has your character being observed by a bunch of scientists who become perplexed over the things you do to move around the chambers.

Because you were supposed to have had more installed that would give you the later telekinetic/telepathic powers. They expected you to use them in the tests.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Samovar posted:

After seeing an L.P. of it, I got round to playing Prey. Going through the tutorial which teaches you basic movement/interaction has your character being observed by a bunch of scientists who become perplexed over the things you do to move around the chambers.

Because you were supposed to have had more installed that would give you the later telekinetic/telepathic powers. They expected you to use them in the tests.

"Is she...hiding behind the chair?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

synthetik posted:

If you haven't seen it, watch the recent SGDQ Link to the Past, no sword run. It's pretty amazing by itself and has the best commentary of the whole week of games.

edit: https://youtu.be/DSkrK0-EIVY

I've gotten addicted to watching both the speedruns, and the LttP randomizer races. Watching all the weird tricks and glitches you can do is kind of amazing to see in action, i just wish they were present in the updated versions of the game.