Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We've got threads for basically every subgenre of rock and metal there is, but nothing for the more mainstream stuff you'd hear on the radio on your local rock station. This thread is meant to be a catch-all for all that. I'd like to keep it oriented around my age group, and the age group of most goons, so primarily, that revolves around a period of music from '95 to present. I think the more late 80's, early 90's bands like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc fall more under the sort of grunge period that played itself out before most of us were really involved. If people want to talk about that here if there's nowhere else, or conversation drifts that direction, feel free, but I think generally speaking, that's outside the scope of this thread. Other than that, it's the same poo poo as all the other music threads. Discussing new music, why old bands are poo poo, tours, whatever floats your boat.

It's obviously a very broad category with a lot of bands involved. This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but it should give people an idea of what types of music this thread covers. Ghost, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, System of a Down, Rise Against, Disturbed, Deftones, Shinedown, Volbeat, Slipknot, etc etc.

This genre kind of died for a bit there, but there's been a bit of a resurgence within the last couple years, so there's some newer bands coming out with music that people have missed. Just from what I've seen, and to spark some conversation,

Ded:
This is a new band who's debut album is coming out next week. They feel like a love letter to a whole bunch of bands from the turn of the century. Very nu metal feel. Their big one from the debut album "Anti-everything" has been making the rounds.
https://youtu.be/un7QcJHRh58

Highly Suspect:
These guys have been around for a couple years now. The lead singer reminds me a lot of cage the elephant, but beyond that, their style is very fluid. In one song they'll adopt that 70's stoner jam style and the next they'll sound much more modern. This one is from their most recent album that came out in November.
https://youtu.be/l5-gja10qkw

Islander:
They've been around for a couple years now too. I'd say they sound like POD but not lovely? Idk, my favorite song of theirs is from a few albums ago. It's called Coconut Dracula
https://youtu.be/q4rD0FlVsGA

King 810:
This is a roadrunner records band, so they are significantly less chill. They're from Flint, Michigan, which is a really lovely place with poisonous water and lots of murders, so they tend to fluctuate between slow with a message to very heavy and violent. It's good poo poo for the most part.
https://youtu.be/gcLmQDr7GGw

Fire From the Gods:
This is kind of a weird one. Musically they remind of all that remains and threat signal, but the vocalist is African American and mixes in a bunch of rap, with lyrics that often deal with race issues and politics. It's a breath of fresh air.
https://youtu.be/F3wMPkrz3Jw

And lastly, Papa Roach has a new album out/coming out with some good tracks on it. "Help" in particular i really like, and has been getting a lot of play.
https://youtu.be/HYLTsdeO2uA

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wait if dadrock is now stuff like deftones and slipknot then what do you call CSNY and fleetwood mac?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Young Dadrock thread

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Now i have that Seether cover of Careless Whisper in my head.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Astrochicken posted:

Now i have that Seether cover of Careless Whisper in my head.

Speaking of which, they had a new album come out a few weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnlwqqy4XB4

Also, waiting for the new album from Nothing More:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6c8X_s1h9Y

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

wait if dadrock is now stuff like deftones and slipknot then what do you call CSNY and fleetwood mac?

Yeah... This isn't dadrock at all

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

That's firmly in classic rock territory isn't it? That's like granddad rock at this point. New thread title is good tho.

wandler20 posted:

Also, waiting for the new album from Nothing More:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6c8X_s1h9Y

I'm still not sure what I think of this one.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Some more of my favorites that fit here:

Starset - Monster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq6IuZIJhuI

Thrice - Black Honey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GTEsNf_GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p6GWewmTYQ

While She Sleeps - Empire of Silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NzaqB0c50U

Of Mice & Men - Unbreakable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3P26FaPxgk

Arcane Roots - If Nothing Breaks, Nothing Moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPgOctu6qlc

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

aarpcore

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Sublime is cool but I wouldn't call them "rock," would they qualify as young-dad rock, OP?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sublime is cool but I wouldn't call them "rock," would they qualify as young-dad rock, OP?

Does the ska thread turn their nose up at them or something? Yeah that would fit, even though it's definitely on the earlier side. What I got and wrong way you still hear on the radio sometimes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So Chester Bennington killed himself this morning

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Henchman of Santa posted:

By hanging, on the same day Chris Cornell would've been 53. :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well drat. I guess he was good about keeping his personal life out of the news because I had no idea he was going through as much crap as he apparently was. I had him pegged as being pretty chill despite the angst in his music. Didn't see this one coming at all.

hbxli
Aug 4, 2004

BABIES... THEY'RE BABIES
I guess it was just too much pressure to take

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
RIP Chester, his music wasn't really my thing mostly but this trend of 90's early 00's icons committing suicide is bad

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I'm just gutted. I know it was cool and hip to hate on Linkin Park, but I never got that. He was so so talented. His voice was his instrument and he worked tirelessly to ensure it held up after he blew it one time (which is more than we can say for some enormously popular musicians) and their music was just so personal. You can hear his suffering in the words, and if you've ever felt like he has, it's impossible not to relate.

Just heartbreaking.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hadn't really heard any of Linkin Park's new music in about 10 years but high school me bleeding into college really liked their music. But regardless of what you think of that, the dude was 41 and had something like four biological kids and one adopted. loving bummer man. Suicide sucks. Stay safe everybody, suicide never the answer, etc.

cool kids inc. posted:

I'm just gutted. I know it was cool and hip to hate on Linkin Park, but I never got that. He was so so talented. His voice was his instrument and he worked tirelessly to ensure it held up after he blew it one time (which is more than we can say for some enormously popular musicians) and their music was just so personal. You can hear his suffering in the words, and if you've ever felt like he has, it's impossible not to relate.

Just heartbreaking.

Nailed it. I realize it's been funny to use CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIN as a meme and whatnot but seriously, he was an amazing singer and as "high school" as a lot of the lyrics were, they were heartfelt and came from a genuine place.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 21, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hbxli posted:

I guess it was just too much pressure to take

:stonklol:

Man I loved the hybrid theory album when I was a kid. What a lovely situation.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

:stonklol:

Man I loved the hybrid theory album when I was a kid. What a lovely situation.

I still think Reanimation was also really cool conceptually and I listened to it again like a year ago and it holds up surprisingly well for what it is IMO.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I still think Reanimation was also really cool conceptually and I listened to it again like a year ago and it holds up surprisingly well for what it is IMO.

I'll check it out. I'd never even heard of it. Meteora was another one that I thought had a lot of good songs on it. Hit the Floor and Nobody's Listening are really unique tracks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Even though their new album is.............. well, really bad, the title track is just devastating, especially today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kaUvGSLMew

This whole thing didn't really hit me until I heard him sing the line "In the kitchen, one more chair than you need". drat.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Legit their second best album. I actually don't even own Hybrid Theory due to some combination of me being "too cool" for it when it came out, and just never really feeling like I needed to get it because of all the radio play. But Reanimation blew me away. The best remix album of all time by a long shot. (Hell, it even had dubstep before dubstep was cool -- see "A Place For My Head".) It felt more like an "album" than almost anything else they've done.

The exception of course being A Thousand Suns. Anyone who hasn't listened to that, do it now. It's their artistic peak and showed that they really had a hell of a lot of creative juice in them. Even their worst stuff is really well-produced and has a lot of attention to detail and the way things sound -- but this is the album where it all comes together into something that is really, without qualifiers, great music.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The suicide is pretty shocking, I have to say.

The turn-of-the-millenium nu-metal craze and its sudden implosion is also fascinating as a trend. To be sure, trends change so it was inevitable, but one contributing factor I've heard is post-9/11 radio censorship in the U.S., which pushed a lot of DJs into swapping the nu-metal out for more uplifting stuff, which is what brought us Creed and Nickelback (their breakthrough album being released, coincidentally, on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001). And while nu-metal was still popular, the DJs were tired of hearing it anyways so it was an opportunity to dump the genre into the bin. By the mid-2000s it was dead and then the record stores collapsed. Linkin Park was probably the most successful nu-metal band of that era to transition through the crash.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sir Lemming posted:

Legit their second best album. I actually don't even own Hybrid Theory due to some combination of me being "too cool" for it when it came out, and just never really feeling like I needed to get it because of all the radio play. But Reanimation blew me away. The best remix album of all time by a long shot. (Hell, it even had dubstep before dubstep was cool -- see "A Place For My Head".) It felt more like an "album" than almost anything else they've done.

The exception of course being A Thousand Suns. Anyone who hasn't listened to that, do it now. It's their artistic peak and showed that they really had a hell of a lot of creative juice in them. Even their worst stuff is really well-produced and has a lot of attention to detail and the way things sound -- but this is the album where it all comes together into something that is really, without qualifiers, great music.

yoooooo A Thousand Suns is so phenomenal. It's easily the album of theirs that best uses what they're good at (two vocalists, Chester's voice, a rock sound with clear hip-hop influence, no bullshit attempts at trying for radio, goofy sci-fi vibe) and is almost painfully sincere, and works as both an anti-war message and a very personal look at suicidal depression (which reaches its climax with Waiting for the End, probably the best song LP ever did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLYiIBCN9ec

This song (Iridescent) is especially hard to listen to today. It sounds like a message from someone who made it through the other side to those who are still fighting; I suppose the moral of the story is that you never really make it all the way through, you just learn to deal as best you can (until you can't).

quote:

You were standing in the wake of devastation
You were waiting on the edge of the unknown
With the cataclysm raining down
Inside's crying save me now
You were there impossibly alone

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
You build up hope but failure's all you've known
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go
Let it go

And in a burst of light that blinded every angel
As if the sky had blown the heavens into stone
You felt the gravity of tempered grace
Falling into empty space
No one there to catch in their arms

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
You build up hope but failure's all you've known
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

This genre kind of died for a bit there, but there's been a bit of a resurgence within the last couple years, so there's some newer bands coming out with music that people have missed. Just from what I've seen, and to spark some conversation,
Huh. I have to check these artists out because I've been thinking this might happen. I think there's an audience for it, and I've been going back and listening to some of the old albums again.

It's interesting you mention the band with the black singer who deals with race issues. Nu-metal is a fun genre because it sits uneasily as a form of racial-cultural mixing. Of course it's part of a long tradition of white artists copying black styles, but there were also a lot of black artists involved, and the traveling festivals were often a mix of nu-metal and rap groups. That seemed new-ish at the time, though it's very common now. But since nu-metal imploded it feels like white and black music styles have gone their separate ways, particularly with the metal audience.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The turn-of-the-millenium nu-metal craze and its sudden implosion is also fascinating as a trend. To be sure, trends change so it was inevitable, but one contributing factor I've heard is post-9/11 radio censorship in the U.S., which pushed a lot of DJs into swapping the nu-metal out for more uplifting stuff, which is what brought us Creed and Nickelback (their breakthrough album being released, coincidentally, on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001). And while nu-metal was still popular, the DJs were tired of hearing it anyways so it was an opportunity to dump the genre into the bin. By the mid-2000s it was dead and then the record stores collapsed. Linkin Park was probably the most successful nu-metal band of that era to transition through the crash.

nah creed and nickelback were already mega popular before 9/11

the old spooky kid 80s goth pop-influenced nu-metal of the mid to late 90s was already on the way out after limp bizkit got huge, but the wise decision of bands like godsmack and three doors down to go full rah rah jingosim kept the rest of that stuff alive a few years longer than it would have otherwise

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deftones are still doing well

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

nah creed and nickelback were already mega popular before 9/11

the old spooky kid 80s goth pop-influenced nu-metal of the mid to late 90s was already on the way out after limp bizkit got huge, but the wise decision of bands like godsmack and three doors down to go full rah rah jingosim kept the rest of that stuff alive a few years longer than it would have otherwise
Ah yeah. I'm looking now and How You Remind Me released as a single in March 2001. I'd say 9/11 if anything just helped accelerate it.

Also interesting .... *reaches down and adjusts JNCOs* ... Korn's Untouchables released in June 2002 and was recorded between April-November 2001. It sold well but not as well as the studio probably would've liked considering the millions of dollars spent on it. That might've been the shark-jumping moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3x7tS__dE

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 21, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Huh. I have to check these artists out because I've been thinking this might happen. I think there's an audience for it, and I've been going back and listening to some of the old albums again.

It's interesting you mention the band with the black singer who deals with race issues. Nu-metal is a fun genre because it sits uneasily as a form of racial-cultural mixing. Of course it's part of a long tradition of white artists copying black styles, but there were also a lot of black artists involved, and the traveling festivals were often a mix of nu-metal and rap groups. That seemed new-ish at the time, though it's very common now. But since nu-metal imploded it feels like white and black music styles have gone their separate ways, particularly with the metal audience.

Yeah. The genre was kind of founded by a collaboration between public enemy and anthrax, so it was a fixture all along. It was pretty cool seeing korn and ice cube doing songs together, and dr dre in limp bizkit videos. Another interesting example is prophets of rage, which just started up a year or so ago. It's all the band members of rage against the machine minus Zach de la Rocha, and adding on Chuck D from public enemy and b real from cypress hill. Very rage against the machine feel.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I never realized A Thousand Suns was such a great album, probably because I figured LP was just the Transformers band now. I should give it a listen.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i always thought linkin park's amateurish songrwiting was a dead giveaway that chester was not actually depressed and just sang that poo poo to tap into a market.

never liked the band at all but now i feel bad for wrongly talking so much trash about how fake their angst was. depression sucks and suicide is not the way anyone should go ever.

Earwicker posted:

Deftones are still doing well

the last debatably nu metal record deftones recorded was white pony so i dunno that they count as a nu metal band that survived. even their nu metal days sound pretty markedly different from the bands that followed them. chino was always a much better singer and abe a much much better drummer than the artists that came to typify the genre, and they moved pretty deliberately away from nu metal specifically to not be lumped in with the garbagemen who aped deftones (and fnm's angel dust). i can't imagine someone listening to koi no yokan and then listening to like, papa roach and saying 'yeah this is basically the same genre'.

also post grunge is just the worst music. nu metal was so cheesy that i always found it hard to hate even if i never liked it. post grunge though, that poo poo is just the worst and it seems like it's all modern rock stations play (well, that and actual grunge since they're so tapped for anything worth putting on the air that they have to play alice in chains and nirvana on their ostensibly 'modern' stations).

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 21, 2017

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've listened to every Linkin Park album besides the newest (which I'm still waiting on in my spotify queue) and all of them have at least a song or two that I really like. Today sucks.

Here's one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFiNlLt8sJw

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

My tastes have changed a lot but I never stopped loving Linkin Park's first two albums. Thousand Suns and Living Things were both pretty good too. At the time, I loved Hybrid Theory more than any album I'd ever heard, and I still think it has an impressive mix of atmosphere and pop hooks that helps it stand apart from every other nu metal album (unless you count Deftones). Listening to it is going to be really hard now though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

financially racist posted:

the last debatably nu metal record deftones recorded was white pony so i dunno that they count as a nu metal band that survived. even their nu metal days sound pretty markedly different from the bands that followed them. chino was always a much better singer and abe a much much better drummer than the artists that came to typify the genre, and they moved pretty deliberately away from nu metal specifically to not be lumped in with the garbagemen who aped deftones (and fnm's angel dust). i can't imagine someone listening to koi no yokan and then listening to like, papa roach and saying 'yeah this is basically the same genre'.

well yeah, genre is largely bullshit and of course they are better musicians than most of those bands, but public perception wise they were considered part of that scene

but there are definitely still people who would listen to Koi No Yokan and then Papa Roach and be unable to distinguish between them, and lump them into the same sound, such as many people from the previous actual Dad Rock (CSNY and Fleetwood Mac) generation

also post grunge is just the worst music. nu metal was so cheesy that i always found it hard to hate even if i never liked it. post grunge though, that poo poo is just the worst and it seems like it's all modern rock stations play (well, that and actual grunge since they're so tapped for anything worth putting on the air that they have to play alice in chains and nirvana on their ostensibly 'modern' stations).

I mean, you're talking about radio. 90's bands is about as recent as you can get while still having a sizable audience that listens to any kind of radio at all, and even that is pushing it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 21, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

i always thought linkin park's amateurish songrwiting was a dead giveaway that chester was not actually depressed and just sang that poo poo to tap into a market.

never liked the band at all but now i feel bad for wrongly talking so much trash about how fake their angst was. depression sucks and suicide is not the way anyone should go ever.
I feel the same way. I absolutely loathe Linkin Park and this came completely out of nowhere for me. Most people's reactions that I've seen are similar to how I felt when Chris Cornell died, so I'm avoiding making an rear end of myself about it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My tastes drifted away from LP, but from 2000-2005 or so I hosed with them real heavy. This news really hit me hard and I'm not sure why. Extremely sad. He was really talented whether or not you dug LP's music, and seemed pretty much universally beloved by anyone who had met him. Add the fact that he was 41 with six children to the mix and it's just heartbreaking. loving brutal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not to change the subject, but Ded's album dropped this morning. They uploaded the whole thing on YouTube, and I listened to it at work. Their acoustic side is really weak, but luckily they don't deviate much from what they do well. Every song I feel like there's about a dozen different bands who's influence I can pick out, but in the broadest sense, I think if you like Spineshank or Dope the album is right up your alley.

https://youtu.be/nDkdXcyFc-E

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
OK here's an obscure, oldy one from the spooky kid side of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSIMbYKF1mY

I post it because I remember seeing them as a teenager in some small, dingy club and the singer was really swell afterwards when I told him I liked the band :3:

Also here's a little-known recent band that incorporates some nu-metal elements. Kinda Muse-ish. Not super sold on it but I saw them in a bar with about three other people (plus the bartender) and they almost blew up the sound system, and I like walls of sound so props to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I31S9NsfEvo

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Volkerball posted:

Not to change the subject, but Ded's album dropped this morning. They uploaded the whole thing on YouTube, and I listened to it at work. Their acoustic side is really weak, but luckily they don't deviate much from what they do well. Every song I feel like there's about a dozen different bands who's influence I can pick out, but in the broadest sense, I think if you like Spineshank or Dope the album is right up your alley.

https://youtu.be/nDkdXcyFc-E

I'll have to check it out. I'm still on the fence about Anti-Everything but it's getting a ton of play on SiriusXM Octane.

OK here's an obscure, oldy one from the spooky kid side of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSIMbYKF1mY

I post it because I remember seeing them as a teenager in some small, dingy club and the singer was really swell afterwards when I told him I liked the band :3:

Yes! I saw these guys open for I think it was Adema back in like 2000 and they were pretty good. I bought the cd at Sam Goody a few days later.