Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

They changed the rainmaker. It now launches a big grenade instead of a tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Did anybody who preordered the ridiculous headset thing from Amazon get theirs/ a shipping notice yet? I remember on the page it said it would be released July 21st but I haven't seen updates and now I can't see that on the product page anymore.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Nope didn't get my head set ship yet. Amazon might be delaying it for some reason. Also finally picked up my game and now and to play story mode.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Levelling tips!

• Get to World 2 of Octo Valley - you can find Crusty Sean's x1.5 EXP tickets
  • At Level 4, get 600p in Salmon Run to get a x2 EXP ticket. You can get a second at 1200p.
  • Try to stick to one weapon for a while. 'Flow' from Splatoon 1 is now by weapon, and getting it to 5.0 gets you a 3000p Freshness Bonus. Not sure if getting higher then that does anything.

Also, Starfish Stage Ranked has the same problem Blackbelly Skatepark does. You can grab the Rainmaker and get to the goal in like 10 seconds.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Not a Children posted:

I've decided to socialize this weekend instead of playing Splatoon 2

Hopefully I can alienate all of my friends so I don't have that option soon

Bring your switch to the roof top party you're going to

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ok, I'm finished work. Almost time to SPLAT!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The mail is usually here by now. WHY ISN'T THE MAIL HERE YET?

I need to splat!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

They changed the rainmaker. It now launches a big grenade instead of a tornado.

To be fair, the original Rainmaker was pretty obviously a hack job of the Tornado-launching Special Weapon rather than something special-coded.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scrubbing ability slots gives you ability chunks. For every 10 abilities you scrub, you can choose a specific one. So its a grind but at least not entirely RNG anymore. Scrubbing gives you 1 chunk per ability removed and it costs a flat 20k coins -- so running bad 4 slot gear will be the best way to generate chunks. You'll be able to reroll your poo poo until you're close to what you want and then invest your chunks into replacing the specific poo poo you didn't get. Should make those dream all move speed gear sets much easier to complete.

Got to 135% on Salmon and claimed my shirt, got to level 6 and claimed my Aero. I'm ready to spam poo poo.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Anything I need to know before splatting? Does doing splatfests give XP or special rewards?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If people with constant disconnection problems can just piss off until I gain two more levels, that'd be cool.

It's getting really hard to get to 10 when every second match has someone on our side ditch us immediately.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

Anything I need to know before splatting? Does doing splatfests give XP or special rewards?

Splatfest is normal Turf War XP. However as you go you get points that increase your rank from Fanboy through to King/Queen. Once the Splatfest is over and the results are announced, you get a number of Super Sea Shells based on whatever rank you reached. Take them to Merch and he'll open some extra slots in your 1 and 2-slot gear in exchange for them. If it's like the original Splatoon, you'll get more Sea Shells than you'll need for quite some time just for hitting King/Queen in a single Splatfest.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Splatfest is normal Turf War XP. However as you go you get points that increase your rank from Fanboy through to King/Queen. Once the Splatfest is over and the results are announced, you get a number of Super Sea Shells based on whatever rank you reached. Take them to Merch and he'll open some extra slots in your 1 and 2-slot gear in exchange for them. If it's like the original Splatoon, you'll get more Sea Shells than you'll need for quite some time just for hitting King/Queen in a single Splatfest.

Thanks. I never played original Splatoon so I don't even know about gear or anything.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

squidgee posted:

I'm working all weekend. :negative:

At least we can hold each other.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There is a baller 4 slot jacket available on Splatnet for order right now! Up for the next 11 hours. Also a pretty nice pair of shades.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

Thanks. I never played original Splatoon so I don't even know about gear or anything.

Don't fret too much about gear, go with whatever looks cool for your Squidkid. None of the gear abilities are especially gamebreaking or anything, the only one I'd say is worth recommending as a general go-to is Ink Resistance (the one that lets you move on enemy Ink a little better).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't fret too much about gear, go with whatever looks cool for your Squidkid. None of the gear abilities are especially gamebreaking or anything, the only one I'd say is worth recommending as a general go-to is Ink Resistance (the one that lets you move on enemy Ink a little better).

Someone needs to test but it feels like they nerfed it a decent amount. For special abilities you pretty much just want to go for things with more slots that Look Fresh. Worry about optimizing poo poo later.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nephzinho posted:

Someone needs to test but it feels like they nerfed it a decent amount. For special abilities you pretty much just want to go for things with more slots that Look Fresh. Worry about optimizing poo poo later.

Ink resist is now available on things other than shoes, so I think you need to stack it for full effect. Probably not worth it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Ink resist is now available on things other than shoes, so I think you need to stack it for full effect. Probably not worth it.

Yeah, I'll leave the testing to the tryhards - for now I'm just having trouble deciding what to play because I want to stomp people in Turf War, see how far I can get into Salmon, and haven't even touched single player (</3 CALLIE WHERE ARE YOU).

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Movement speed in Inkling form seems really good for Roller.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

I hope they've made some tweaks to the Inkbrush then. Back in S1 Ink Resist was pretty much mandatory if you wanted to paint lines through enemy ink, turning even the slightest would catch you on the ink and slow you down.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is there a disco for this yet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game is extremely fresh :allears:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Canned Panda posted:

The mail is usually here by now. WHY ISN'T THE MAIL HERE YET?

I need to splat!

Lmao you shoulda gotten digital

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Charger in Horde:

The thing I pondered as I was sleeping last night is charger means big target assignment. You stay a extra level back and aim for all the biggest things (med mobs and bosses) you can see as you can hit them a hell of a lot easier. Also staying back and higher up means you can search for more incoming stuff easier and warn everyone. let the splattershot folks run in at the dozen little guys to murder.

Steelhead is a easier to hit when you're not having to look up at him. same with the rain guy, they're designed on purpose to be a little harder to hit but take a lot less damage than the others. Both of them go out in one charge shot. Mr kill from the back is kinda the same, you're better off being the distraction and letting the fast folks get behind and smash 'em.

if you get too many goobers on you that's what a bomb at the feet is for.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I have found analog controllers preferable. I am a filthy casual, I know. I am markedly worse with motion controls. Feels like my centering keeps getting hosed up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AndrewP posted:

I have found analog controllers preferable. I am a filthy casual, I know. I am markedly worse with motion controls. Feels like my centering keeps getting hosed up.

You're not the only one. I just don't get gyro controls.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm trying to get gyro controls, but it's weird and slow going. Some rounds I'll be on it and kick rear end, then the next round I'll forget how to look up and down and run around like a clueless moron.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Only being able to aim vertically with motion controls took a little to get used to. Using motion controls with split joy cons is terrible, though. I may have to try out the grip for the first time ever.

Edit: I'm glad this game just came out. I'm at a point in rocket league where I'm not gonna go up in rank unless I start doing drills and stuff. So time for a new main game.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
Launch day work crew checking in to confirm that it's great to splat in the bathroom while you splat in the bathroom.

Kirios posted:

In Splatoon 1, inkling speed up didn't work while rolling. It would be fantastic if it did in this game.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 21, 2017

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

AndrewP posted:

I switched to dual-stick for handheld mode and liked it so much I switched for the pro controller.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Not to poo poo on people who do not prefer them or do not get it, but I fell in love hard with the motion control aiming. To the point where I think other games would benefit from it (Lookin at you, Horizon Zero Dawn).

If I may give completely unsolicited and unwanted tips, they would be to use the control stick to aim in the general direction (I will say that Splat2n not allowing vertical aiming via joystick is a mistake), then use the motion control for finer aiming, and to just use the wrist (The so-called Toolbox Method) when using motion controls.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Kirios posted:

In the first game, that didn't actually increase your roller speed, only your normal run. I think that's still the case.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Salmon Run is super fun but man it gets hard fast and lots of people don't know what the hell they're doing

Like it should be extremely obvious that you should

- Stick Together

- Rez allies immideately, and keep an eye on allies to rez them

- Its very important that there be 3 people near a boss monster when it goes down, so you can grab all 3 golden eggs and go deliver them. Killing boss monsters by yourself is A Bad Thing because mobs will grab those eggs.

- Collect golden eggs (there was some guy who got 0 a whole round holy poo poo we had one job)

- Staying alive is more important than getting bonus golden eggs, if you wipe you wipe so stay alive if you already have the required eggs

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The issue with learning gyro controls is you have to give yourself some time. It's like when I switched from a 360 controller to a HOTAS in Elite dangerous. It took me like 5 days to re-learn how to do everything.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

poonchasta posted:

Only being able to aim vertically with motion controls took a little to get used to. Using motion controls with split joy cons is terrible, though. I may have to try out the grip for the first time ever.

Edit: I'm glad this game just came out. I'm at a point in rocket league where I'm not gonna go up in rank unless I start doing drills and stuff. So time for a new main game.

I think if you move your controller like a big truck steering wheel, you'll be able to aim quickly horizontally with motion controls (at least that's what a video showed that someone posted).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Salmon Run is super fun but man it gets hard fast and lots of people don't know what the hell they're doing

Like it should be extremely obvious that you should

- Stick Together

- Rez allies immideately, and keep an eye on allies to rez them

- Its very important that there be 3 people near a boss monster when it goes down, so you can grab all 3 golden eggs and go deliver them. Killing boss monsters by yourself is A Bad Thing because mobs will grab those eggs.

- Collect golden eggs (there was some guy who got 0 a whole round holy poo poo we had one job)

- Staying alive is more important than getting bonus golden eggs, if you wipe you wipe so stay alive if you already have the required eggs

Look at discord, let's get a Salmon group going. I want to see what happens when you lap the gear reward.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nephzinho posted:

Look at discord, let's get a Salmon group going. I want to see what happens when you lap the gear reward.

What's the discord!?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
How do you switch the roller weapons to the vertical mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

How do you switch the roller weapons to the vertical mode?

Jump and flick.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

What's the discord!?

https://discord.gg/kuuQjP