Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Sweet. dont have mine open yet. paid $2600 for the 65"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Sweet. dont have mine open yet. paid $2600 for the 65"

Wow great deal! I bought a c7 off amazon and it arrived damaged with the screen cracked. It wouldn't even fit in my car so it was a pain to send it back. I had taken a day off work to stay home and sign for the drat thing too.
I wound up just picking up a b6 from best buy (and paying full price+taxes ugh) to avoid dealing with all that again-recruited a friend to help drive it home. I wish it would have worked out, I could have saved some dough.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Butter Hole posted:

Wow great deal! I bought a c7 off amazon and it arrived damaged with the screen cracked. It wouldn't even fit in my car so it was a pain to send it back. I had taken a day off work to stay home and sign for the drat thing too.
I wound up just picking up a b6 from best buy (and paying full price+taxes ugh) to avoid dealing with all that again-recruited a friend to help drive it home. I wish it would have worked out, I could have saved some dough.

Beach Camera will offer them at $2500-$2600 depending on what day it is if you call in your order. The 55" goes for ~$1700 and the E7p 65" goes for $2899

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Beach Camera will offer them at $2500-$2600 depending on what day it is if you call in your order. The 55" goes for ~$1700 and the E7p 65" goes for $2899

That's who I ordered it from! I guess I just got unlucky. They ship via FedEx--I loving hate FedEx. So many bad experiences with them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Butter Hole posted:

That's who I ordered it from! I guess I just got unlucky. They ship via FedEx--I loving hate FedEx. So many bad experiences with them.

Did you call it in or use their website? Always call in and ask cause they cannot advertise low prices.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Did you call it in or use their website? Always call in and ask cause they cannot advertise low prices.

No I didn't. The issue wasn't the price though, it was that the product arrived damage and the whole ordeal was a pain in the rear end. Thanks for the tip though! Maybe I'll give them a call when I'm ready for a new bedroom TV :)

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

buglord posted:

Update: upon returning my third failed universal remote, some otherworldly spirit urged me to try for a fourth time for a new remote for $13.

Somehow, some way, this worked with my Xfinity cable box, Hisense TV, and Apple TV flawlessly. Because Hisense lacks discrete inputs, there are a few more button presses to be done. However, its still miles ahead of the pack by default because it actually works.

Do you have a link? I have been looking for a cheap universal that can work with apple tv

Edit: Just saw this for you LG dudes
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/888184857859284993

Not That Into You fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 21, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Not That Into You posted:

Do you have a link? I have been looking for a cheap universal that can work with apple tv

https://www.target.com/p/rca-rcrbb05bhz-universal-remote-control-black/-/A-52158505

Should be easy to find at a Walmart and BestBuy too. For unknown witchcraft reasons, the 4-device version of the remote didn't work 100% with the apple TV. This one is the closest so far. Also bear in mind that some of the advanced functions like scrubbing through playback are not available, just because theres no equivalent buttons on the remote.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
$3700 for my OLED65 C7P :smith: Not in USA :911:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gdamn the black levels compared to my f8500 plasma are ridiculous. Thankfully netflix fixed my account and set me up on the 2 screen ultrahd plan.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 21, 2017

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Is this at Fry's nationwide? I can't find this deal on their website.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So how do you get the promo code. Nearest Frys is an hour away but I'd go out there for that price

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

That's an insane deal on (I own one so I'm biased) the best TV you can get for <$3k.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don Lapre posted:

Gdamn the black levels compared to my f8500 plasma are ridiculous. Thankfully netflix fixed my account and set me up on the 2 screen ultrahd plan.

Welcome to the world of not knowing if your tv is on or off sometimes.

Speaking of on/off, does anyone know if there's a way of turning off a tv but keeping an Xfinity box on? I've changed the HDMI Link settings but it makes no difference. I've got one of those HDMI splitters as a temporary thing to feed my yard TV, but for some reason I have to have the lounge TV running at the same time at the moment. I feel a bunch of running back and forth and checking settings is in my future. Hopefully once I get a receiver with dual HDMI, everything will be ok

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wasn't really a believer in 3D until I used my 55c6p, bull is absolutely right that sets not having it going forward is a big loss.

I'm going to start buying up 3D blurays I like cause god drat it's awesome. Only question is where I'd buy more LG specs.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ex post facho posted:

I wasn't really a believer in 3D until I used my 55c6p, bull is absolutely right that sets not having it going forward is a big loss.

I'm going to start buying up 3D blurays I like cause god drat it's awesome. Only question is where I'd buy more LG specs.

It really is great, unfortunately for me mine is mounted too high to be able to watch them from my couch. Stupid built in tv niches.

You can buy 4 packs of glasses for like $15 on Amazon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can also just use the RealD glasses from theaters. Just don't recycle them the next time you go.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

You can also just use the RealD glasses from theaters. Just don't recycle them the next time you go.

Wait they don't need batteries or any of that bullshit? Is that a function of OLED?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's two types of 3D tech - Active and passive. The 4K passive type the OLEDs have is the best as you get full resolution now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Full resolution 1080p that is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

I thought the passive style did things with polarization of light and such, how can that actually work on a normal non-projection display?

My projector uses the active glasses, which is kind of annoying because they have to be charged before use and are expensive enough that keeping more than four around isn't practical, so I rarely watch 3D anything as a result.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don Lapre posted:

Full resolution 1080p that is.

Yes, sorry should've specified. 1080p screens halve the resolution for passive, and there's no 4K 3D so it's the best it'll be I expect.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wandler20 posted:

It really is great, unfortunately for me mine is mounted too high to be able to watch them from my couch. Stupid built in tv niches.

Ugh god just fill that with books and mount your TV lower. Every single mcmansion around here has the TV niche at like 7 feet high and *everyone* puts their tv in there.

Not only do they put their TV in there.. but it's only big enough for like a 40" at most. It's training people wrong. :colbert:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wolrah posted:

I thought the passive style did things with polarization of light and such, how can that actually work on a normal non-projection display?

My projector uses the active glasses, which is kind of annoying because they have to be charged before use and are expensive enough that keeping more than four around isn't practical, so I rarely watch 3D anything as a result.

You have 2160 lines of resolution, you lay a filter over top which has opposite polarization every other line

Presto, a 1080p 3D display which works with passive glasses

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
So 4k is the secret that makes 3D not terrible? Stupid industry trying to foist it on people before it was good and threw giving up!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dogen posted:

So 4k is the secret that makes 3D not terrible? Stupid industry trying to foist it on people before it was good and threw giving up!

Basically. If there had been an industry consortium that dictated 3D TVs be only 1080p passive, it might have caught on. But there wasn't and it didn't and 3D is not even considered in the UHD Blu-Ray specification (other than being compatible to play existing discs).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It still would not have caught on. People just dont want to take care of glasses and wear them while watching a movie. Even if they are cheap glasses.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

BonoMan posted:

Ugh god just fill that with books and mount your TV lower. Every single mcmansion around here has the TV niche at like 7 feet high and *everyone* puts their tv in there.

Not only do they put their TV in there.. but it's only big enough for like a 40" at most. It's training people wrong. :colbert:

If it were only that easy. Unfortunately every house isn't the same. You'd have a blast in the HGTV thread.

Also, I should've bought the 65".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress, I hate TV's that high. Pisses me off when I see them on HGTV. No one wants to stare at the ceiling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's gotta be murder on the neck.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wandler20 posted:

If it were only that easy. Unfortunately every house isn't the same. You'd have a blast in the HGTV thread.

Also, I should've bought the 65".

You could have installed that way way way lower bro.

The loving thing isn't even on a tilt mount, and its curved. Just burn your house down

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I can't believe all you guys talking pro 3D. 6 years now I've had it and aside from the first 3 months when I invited everyone who came over to try a demo of it I've never used it. Even in theater it's a bust.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

C6 3d is an order of magnitude better than any theater experience I've had.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I feel like theater 3D has stepped up its game somewhat. The 3D in GotG2 was incredible.

But also at home 3D always turned me off with the glasses that needed batteries and whatnot.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I just don't give a poo poo at all about even the best possible 3D experience, and neither does most of the audience for watching movies at home evidently.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Don Lapre posted:

You could have installed that way way way lower bro.

The loving thing isn't even on a tilt mount, and its curved. Just burn your house down

Lol, ok. Sounds like a totally reasonable solution.

I can't really go lower because the moron builders put the outlet up too high and it would show above the TV. It's really not that bad and I can say in 5 years I've never had a sore neck. Ideally it would be lower but whatever.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 22, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have a 3D TV and have maybe used it like a half a dozen times. But people saying that 3D look amazing on OLED makes me want to see what the big fuss is about

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
My Panasonic plasma (60" ST50) is still going strong, but I'm looking to make the leap to 4K. I've got my eyes set on those LG OLED, but the lack of 3D does sting...I'm guessing there's no rumor or anything about them potentially bringing it back for the 2018 model year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Get last year’s model , it’ll be cheaper and have 3D