Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

What's the discord!?

Probably the general Nintengoons server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Do we have a discord server we're using for splatoon?

Edit I see it above me.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Nephzinho posted:

Jump and flick

This was such an adjustment for me during Splatfest since in Splatoon 1 I would jump around like an rear end in a top hat and now I have to think about when I do it.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

Lmao you shoulda gotten digital

I only paid $40 for the game on Amazon. Saving $20 is worth the wait for me.

Besides, it showed up about 5 minutes after I posted, and I've been to busy leveling up to come post.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

grand theft grotto posted:

This was such an adjustment for me during Splatfest since in Splatoon 1 I would jump around like an rear end in a top hat and now I have to think about when I do it.

It's probably the single best change in the game. I'm not even mad about the chargers being able to move for a second bit, apparently it still takes a moment to fire so it won't give them freebies.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaphod42 posted:

Salmon Run is super fun but man it gets hard fast and lots of people don't know what the hell they're doing

If folks want to run some salmon a bit later, I would be very down for that. RIght now it's time for lunch, though.

quote:

control :words:

I still maintain that the motion controls make far more sense in this game than they ever did in S1 because you aren't trying to waggle a five pound gamepad that is also your map. I also wouldn't recommend trying to use the joycons in the controller shell or a pro controller - use them in each hand, the motion tracking is in your right joycon and it feels much more mouselike.

I do mostly wish that side to side movement was easier or, yeah, vertical movement on the stick was possible even in MC mode - the hybrid setup they force takes getting used to, but when it clicks, it feels really good.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Salmon Run owns. Give me the charger, Grizzco!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm super on the fence about Spla2n. Someone help sway me one way or the other.

On one hand I want a MP game I can play for like ten or twenty minutes at a time, but I also know I won't be able to put in a lot of time to actually get GOOD at it. What I want to avoid is being the guy who gets Battlefield or COD and just has a terrible time because everyone has put in hundreds or thousands of hours and can master no scope headshots while I'm just running around.

I had a good time in Splatoon 1 for a month or so and based on that I WANT to pick it up but I don't know how much I'll be able to enjoy it without making it a second job. Any thoughts? A game like Rocket League is a good example. I can still have a great time if I play once or twice a month. Battlefield 3 and 4, on the other hand, I stopped playing for a month and felt outclassed at every turn to the point where it was pointless to continue. I don't mean to compare either of these games to Splatoon, because it obviously isn't either, but the skill level required to have a good time in each is vastly different too and I'm hoping Splatoon is more like the former than the latter.

I enjoyed the recent testfire but the feeling I got was that everyone was already better than me and I was losing every engagement. Mind you that was five minutes into the game so I obviously had ZERO experience.

If the game was half or two thirds of its current price this would be a no brainer, but at $80CDN I'm feeling very iffy. I may be articulating this poorly so hopefully someone either feels/felt the same way I do or at least understands what I'm trying to blab on about.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 21, 2017

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

In the first game, that didn't actually increase your roller speed, only your normal run. I think that's still the case.

It...feels like it does? Maybe I'm mistaken...someone who has experience with Splatoon 1 and 2, feel free to test and see if it's just personal bias or not.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
During the testfire I did split joycons with motion controls. I'm left-handed so it ended up not feeling too good for me. I bought the game now and have been just using the shell thing or playing in handheld mode with motion controls and it feels a lot better.

I tried like two matches with motion controls off and it felt unplayable to me. I've only ever been able to play FPS games on PC with mouse/keyboard, and I don't know if all console shooters feel that awful with a controller, but there's no way I could aim as fast as you have to in Splatoon without motion controls.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I don't think I'd bother in your shoes. It IS overpriced imo, and you'll only get stomped if you can't play for long enough to improve.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Martytoof posted:

I'm super on the fence about Spla2n. Someone help sway me one way or the other.

On one hand I want a MP game I can play for like ten or twenty minutes at a time, but I also know I won't be able to put in a lot of time to actually get GOOD at it. What I want to avoid is being the guy who gets Battlefield or COD and just has a terrible time because everyone has put in hundreds or thousands of hours and can master no scope headshots while I'm just running around.

I had a good time in Splatoon 1 for a month or so and based on that I WANT to pick it up but I don't know how much I'll be able to enjoy it without making it a second job. Any thoughts? A game like Rocket League is a good example. I can still have a great time if I play once or twice a month. Battlefield 3 and 4, on the other hand, I stopped playing for a month and felt outclassed at every turn to the point where it was pointless to continue. I don't mean to compare either of these games to Splatoon, because it obviously isn't either, but the skill level required to have a good time in each is vastly different too and I'm hoping Splatoon is more like the former than the latter.

I enjoyed the recent testfire but the feeling I got was that everyone was already better than me and I was losing every engagement. Mind you that was five minutes into the game so I obviously had ZERO experience.

If the game was half or two thirds of its current price this would be a no brainer, but at $80CDN I'm feeling very iffy. I may be articulating this poorly so hopefully someone either feels/felt the same way I do or at least understands what I'm trying to blab on about.

Source your quotes?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Splatoon's matchmaking has been fine and I've never felt like I've been ruined by pros except on very rare occasions. The Splatfest will be out of the norm since all the tryhards came in to get at the game early. Plus, there's Salmon Run and the campaign to do.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

Kirios posted:

It...feels like it does? Maybe I'm mistaken...someone who has experience with Splatoon 1 and 2, feel free to test and see if it's just personal bias or not.

Totally does, they mentioned it in the first Direct.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I bought it but I'm still on the fence.

If you suck really bad and never get good I can see it not really being fun. It's not like in other shooters where you can at least hide somewhere or defend somewhere. You basically have to go out into the middle of the action, and if you really suck you can just get picked off super easily. The matches are so short that dying a few times pretty much makes most of your match just walking from spawn.

I think I will enjoy the game, especially if I get better, but it doesn't seem like a game that would be very fun to me if I just sucked and everyone was way better than me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

angel opportunity posted:

I bought it but I'm still on the fence.

If you suck really bad and never get good I can see it not really being fun. It's not like in other shooters where you can at least hide somewhere or defend somewhere. You basically have to go out into the middle of the action, and if you really suck you can just get picked off super easily. The matches are so short that dying a few times pretty much makes most of your match just walking from spawn.

I think I will enjoy the game, especially if I get better, but it doesn't seem like a game that would be very fun to me if I just sucked and everyone was way better than me.

But its also a game where K/D literally doesn't even matter. Its either about painting surface area or scoring points with the objective. Kills are secondary. That alone should make it way more open to pubbies than most FPS.

You can get killed all the time and not get many kills and still contribute. I've won matches where one player on the enemy team had like 18 kills and we only had like 3 kills each.

Then you have single player, co-op horde mode... like what are you guys even on about.

This isn't counter-strike what the gently caress :psyduck:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I seem to maintain about a 50/50 win/loss ratio for every mode except splat zone, where I've won maybe twice in about thirty games.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

angel opportunity posted:

During the testfire I did split joycons with motion controls. I'm left-handed so it ended up not feeling too good for me. I bought the game now and have been just using the shell thing or playing in handheld mode with motion controls and it feels a lot better.

I tried like two matches with motion controls off and it felt unplayable to me. I've only ever been able to play FPS games on PC with mouse/keyboard, and I don't know if all console shooters feel that awful with a controller, but there's no way I could aim as fast as you have to in Splatoon without motion controls.
People seem to think gyro is just gonna work as well as everything else they've sunk 100s of hours in and rather stick with subpar but understood controls vs learning new hotness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you're running out from spawn only to get murdered LOOK AROUND and find some way to flank

Every map has alternate routes where you can paint walls and sneak around and jump and get past the enemy and start painting their side of the map while they're busy killing ur doods

Lots of new players get boxed in and die a lot but its because you're new and still haven't realized that you don't have to do that. Remember that you're a squid and that gives you all kinds of mobility options other FPS don't have.

Most people are bad because they're thinking like Quake, not because they're just bad at FPS. You have to think like splatoon, it plays different. The priorities are different, the strategy is different.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Nephzinho posted:

There is a baller 4 slot jacket available on Splatnet for order right now! Up for the next 11 hours. Also a pretty nice pair of shades.
Thanks for the tip. I can order things on the app without having to pay for them until I have the cash. I guess this means I can order something that's about to go out of stock, then save up for it? I can change the order to another article at any time so there's no reason not to have something on order

Co-op mode is sweet and lets you practice with friends

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

This game is extremely good and fun

I always find myself falling back to the starter weapon set -- feels like I'm covering more ground and the spread is a little more forgiving. Is this all in my head? Is the Splattershot a straight upgrade to the Splattershot Jr.?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
As the matchmaking system gets more data you should see more balanced matches. It's still loving Friday, there's a lot of Splatoon 1 people out there who haven't played a single match yet.

Splatoon 1 was extremely good for people who didn't take it seriously and there's no reason I've seen Splatoon 2 won't be.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Is there no "both are disgusting" choice

Where's my mustard choice

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

deep web creep posted:

I always find myself falling back to the starter weapon set -- feels like I'm covering more ground and the spread is a little more forgiving. Is this all in my head? Is the Splattershot a straight upgrade to the Splattershot Jr.?

The aerospray is insanely great at painting terrain.

Splattershot is pretty much a straight upgrade to the jr, yeah. But then the aerospray is practically a straight upgrade on that. Thing is the loadouts change too so that keeps it more balanced.

Most weapons are about alternatives more than upgrades. Do you want a better main weapon, or a better super?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Should have been ketchup v mustard so we could have red and yellow paint.

Instead we're gonna have like green and blue as mayo and ketchup because they won't give us white paint so that'll just be weird. Well, I guess from the looks of it mayo will just be yellow?

They should try to pick color-coded splatfests in the future IMO.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

All my non gaming friend like splatoon because they feel like they're contributing even when they're not doing good. And they are!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

But its also a game where K/D literally doesn't even matter. Its either about painting surface area or scoring points with the objective. Kills are secondary. That alone should make it way more open to pubbies than most FPS.

You can get killed all the time and not get many kills and still contribute. I've won matches where one player on the enemy team had like 18 kills and we only had like 3 kills each.

Then you have single player, co-op horde mode... like what are you guys even on about.

This isn't counter-strike what the gently caress :psyduck:

yeah im not a wizard by any stretch at shooting games but the whole point of splatoon was always "yeah k/d doesn't matter so much as getting property with the inkpaint" so it's easier to contribute without being a COD Blops master

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

deep web creep posted:

There are no straight upgrades. Jr kills faster at closer range.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The aerospray is insanely great at painting terrain.

Splattershot is pretty much a straight upgrade to the jr, yeah. But then the aerospray is practically a straight upgrade on that. Thing is the loadouts change too so that keeps it more balanced.

Most weapons are about alternatives more than upgrades. Do you want a better main weapon, or a better super?

Well, I'm insanely garbarge with the burst bomb. Tentatek has the splat bomb so I'll try that for a few games. Thanks!

Lemming posted:

There are no straight upgrades. Jr kills faster at closer range.

Better ROF? Also, is there a good place to find info on the loadouts etc yet? I'm on the splatoon wiki but it's not really great in terms of keeping S2-specific information in one place.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
I swear, I will master these joycon controls by my wrist squid kids shall die.

This is such a huge change from typical console shooter aiming it hurts my brain a bit to remember to recenter all the time. I cranked the motion controls to max and it feels pretty good to me when I'm actually aiming at stuff though.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
A few updates from the official Tumblr:

The current frequency of salmon runs is higher than it normally will be

quote:

We’ve received word that for the first three days after the launch of Splatoon 2 on Friday, July 21st, a MASSIVE number of Salmonids will be migrating toward Inkopolis. This means that the frequency of Grizzco’s part-time job offers will be increased.

The Stingray special weapon is gonna get an update improving mobility and allowing users to enter squid form

quote:

In the Splatfest World Premiere demo, using the Sting Ray severely limited your mobility, but its mobility is being improved through an update to the game. With the new-and-improved Sting Ray, players will be able to suspend their attack by entering squid form, allowing them to reposition themselves before resuming their assault. This enables players to retreat at a moment’s notice, or find a better vantage point.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zaphod42 posted:

Should have been ketchup v mustard so we could have red and yellow paint.

Instead we're gonna have like green and blue as mayo and ketchup because they won't give us white paint so that'll just be weird. Well, I guess from the looks of it mayo will just be yellow?

They should try to pick color-coded splatfests in the future IMO.

The Transformers Splatfest had one of the sides listed as red but they still gave the dark pinkish ink color instead of red. I imagine it'll be similar for this one.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Has anyone found out what happens when you get the Grizzly Co shirt for a second time? Or if there is anything in the balls besides for tickets to boost your XP/ability gain in Ranked/Turf and coins?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Nephzinho posted:

Has anyone found out what happens when you get the Grizzly Co shirt for a second time? Or if there is anything in the balls besides for tickets to boost your XP/ability gain in Ranked/Turf and coins?

You can sell the new shirt or replace your old one.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

Not to poo poo on people who do not prefer them or do not get it, but I fell in love hard with the motion control aiming. To the point where I think other games would benefit from it (Lookin at you, Horizon Zero Dawn).

If I may give completely unsolicited and unwanted tips, they would be to use the control stick to aim in the general direction (I will say that Splat2n not allowing vertical aiming via joystick is a mistake), then use the motion control for finer aiming, and to just use the wrist (The so-called Toolbox Method) when using motion controls.

I love motion control for fine-tuning in Zelda, but I NEED TO BE ABLE TO LOOK UP WITH THE STICK.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just wanna say i hate the dualies and people who use them!!! Im going to slosh the hell out of them with this bucket

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's a shame we can't have red ink. i get why, it'd look like a splat of blood when killing other enemies...

...but red is my favorite color :sigh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

The Transformers Splatfest had one of the sides listed as red but they still gave the dark pinkish ink color instead of red. I imagine it'll be similar for this one.

I'm fine with dark pink since they don't want blood-red paint. But its the lack of white that makes mayo a bad call.

Kaubocks posted:

it's a shame we can't have red ink. i get why, it'd look like a splat of blood when killing other enemies...

...but red is my favorite color :sigh:

Same.

Luckily all the other colors we have are still great. There's so much color variety. :)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does the rapid blaster still suck? That was my favorite non slosher weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The most important team role is morale officer, your responsibilities are a) press the Booyah! button b)