Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ola posted:

Firefox 57 and beyond (check out Opera or Chrome)

Vivaldi honestly seems the best replacement for FF once the apocalypse hits. It has a tons of things that are addons in FF (like Vertical Tabs) backed in and can use Chrome addons. It seems to be built by people who grew up with Opera and old-school Firefox instead of Chrome, since it incooperates a lot of UI things from both. If SALR would have the loving "jump to the last unread post" functionality in Chrome I'd probably would use it instead of FF already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SA already has a native "jump to last unread" button though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That doesn't work on chome for any threads that have big pictures/embedded content in posts.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Truga posted:

That doesn't work on chome for any threads that have big pictures/embedded content in posts.

There's an option in the SA user control panel to make it jump again after the page finishes loading. Mind you, Twitter embeds still gently caress it up because they are apparently hardcoded to load after the rest of the page finishes loading.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The weird thing is, firefox is smart enough to just jump to the # tag if you focus address bar and press enter. Chrome just reloads when you do that and then twitters load again. Reading c-spam where twitter gets posted a lot must be agony.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Geemer posted:

There's an option in the SA user control panel to make it jump again after the page finishes loading. Mind you, Twitter embeds still gently caress it up because they are apparently hardcoded to load after the rest of the page finishes loading.

I've got one of my mouse buttons set to "U" so that I can go to the first unread post once everything has loaded in. It's incredibly handy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Assuming 57 doesn't make me finally dump Firefox entirely, is there any decent extension I can use to share snippets of text between machines where one has Chrome and the other has Firefox? I used to use Chrome to Phone because back in the day my secondary computer was an Android tablet, but that's been dead for ages and I now use a convertible Chromebook anyway.

The best non-extension thing I can think of is a private Twitter account but that's rather inconvenient as I also use Twitter for Twitter, and it's not great at multi-account support.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Decius posted:

Vivaldi honestly seems the best replacement for FF once the apocalypse hits. It has a tons of things that are addons in FF (like Vertical Tabs) backed in and can use Chrome addons. It seems to be built by people who grew up with Opera and old-school Firefox instead of Chrome, since it incooperates a lot of UI things from both. If SALR would have the loving "jump to the last unread post" functionality in Chrome I'd probably would use it instead of FF already.

Vivaldi had a hideously nonstandard interpretation of Javascript as recently as this fall. I gave up trying to make my stuff work with it when they worked on IE10+, Edge, Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Hopefully they're more compliant now.

Harik fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 7, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mike12345 posted:

Latest update disabled multi-cpu. It was this, again:

Or maybe it was something else? Don't really care at this point.

Figured it out. Every time I plug in my tablet, poo poo gets disabled.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Is there an addon that tells you how long it will take you to read the text in a certain page?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So the black screen firefox thing people were talking about a page or so ago, that's Nvidia's crappy CU driver support crashing into Firefox's lovely hardware acceleration? Do I have that right?

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox seems to have made the problem go away.

Graphics card seems to be working fine otherwise.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yeah, it's a known issue. Read the NVIDIA release notes before updating your drivers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My FF chokes on SA threads with lots of embedded gifs of stupid file sizes or embedded video:

e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568842&pagenumber=584#lastpost

Is there any add-on that will let me block elements that are over a certain size?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

spog posted:

My FF chokes on SA threads with lots of embedded gifs of stupid file sizes or embedded video:

e.g. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568842&pagenumber=584#lastpost

Is there any add-on that will let me block elements that are over a certain size?

Unless your video card is literally too old to run a current OS, it's the GIFs. Nothing accelerates their rendering.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

Unless your video card is literally too old to run a current OS, it's the GIFs. Nothing accelerates their rendering.

WEBM, as a garbage format that no one should be using, also isn't hardware accelerated by a ton of GPUs and CPUs at all. So having a ton of WEBM videos on a page is even worse than a having a bunch of GIFs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

WEBM, as a garbage format that no one should be using, also isn't hardware accelerated by a ton of GPUs and CPUs at all. So having a ton of WEBM videos on a page is even worse than a having a bunch of GIFs.

Yes yes, Intel put the market under duress for almost a decade, we know.

So what codec SHOULD they be using?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yes yes, Intel put the market under duress for almost a decade, we know.

So what codec SHOULD they be using?

h.264/AVC, obviously? How is this even a question? If you're insistent on having a bunch of auto-playing video on a web page anytime recently, it's absolutely the way to go. Even my creaky old secondary laptop from 2008 will handle it pretty well, certainly better than it handles the same number of large GIFs on a page.

h.265/HEVC would be nicer, sure, but it's still had nowhere near enough penetration in hardware acceleration to be relied on, other video formats are too old and low-quality to be worth using.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

You can test if this post:

is correct by opening the same page in Edge. I get a massive performance boost on GIFs in Edge. Which is probably the wrong way to phrase it, it's like saying you get a massive performance boost while running hurdles if you don't use anvils for shoes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Maybe we don't need to relitigate the great HTML5 codec war of 2011 in this thread.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

Maybe we don't need to relitigate the great HTML5 codec war of 2011 in this thread.

I am ignorant of that particular piece of forum history, therefore I am doomed to repeat it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Not really forums history, but here's an outline on Wikipedia.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

spog posted:

uBlock has a switch to block "large media elements," and you can set the threshold for that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is there an extension or setting that disables gif animations (or video) outside the viewport?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Am I being thick, but I can't see how you can change the threshold for the size of the elements that are blocked.

There is this setting, but it is unchecked on my install

Also, it doesn't seem to block the SA page I linked to (the huge gifv of the nun)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wheany posted:

Is there an extension or setting that disables gif animations (or video) outside the viewport?

That should be happening by default. If I open the SA smilies page ff takes up a ton of CPU to animate everything, but switching tabs drops it to idle. Resizing the window down so less gifs are on the screen at once also drops CPU.

if that's not what happens for you, check your about :config for any non-defualt settings with the keywords animations or offmainthread.

There was a bug for a while in the ~40 versions where they were trying to do stuff with gifs outside the viewport, but they hosed it up. When you looked at the gif it'd lock the browser because it was trying to figure out exactly which frame of the gif to show you, based on how long it was off screen. It made browsing SA hellish as you can imagine. Maybe you changed some settings to deal with that?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

https://metafluff.com/2017/07/21/i-am-a-tab-hoarder/

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
They're going to have a real fun time managing 1691 tabs without any addons come 57.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've never seen Firefox go much past 200 without making GBS threads the bed in all the dozen or so years I've been using it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i do not understand people that can stand having more than five tabs open at a time

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dis astranagant posted:

I've never seen Firefox go much past 200 without making GBS threads the bed in all the dozen or so years I've been using it.

depends if you're loading 200 in a single session, or just using thousands of old saved-session tabs as a really inefficient bookmark system.

tons of old stale tabs are like a desktop cluttered with files and junk: a sign of a disorganized mind

spit on my clit posted:

i do not understand people that can stand having more than five tabs open at a time

I do like 30-50 all the time but that's because the Tab Groups extension makes managing a few sets of tabs easy. it's prob the biggest thing I'm pissed at having killed off.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Desuwa posted:

They're going to have a real fun time managing 1691 tabs without any addons come 57.
No one will be using it by then.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Why would anyone stop using it before 57

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spit on my clit posted:

I use Snap Links Plus to open all my SA threads at once from the control panel so I don't have to click on them all individually like some sort of caveman.

Of course, that's a "read thread then close tab" situation. The people who just leave dozens of tabs open permanently are weird.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Snuffman posted:

So the black screen firefox thing people were talking about a page or so ago, that's Nvidia's crappy CU driver support crashing into Firefox's lovely hardware acceleration? Do I have that right?

Disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox seems to have made the problem go away.

Holy crap, I think I finally found the reason why my Radeon driver crashed once a week. Didn't know this was a thing.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is the y axis in the first one hours?

spit on my clit posted:

my man probably just doesn't understand what bookmarks or read it later services are for. that or he's reached that special point of computing dementia where anything he closes is automatically assumed to be gone forever

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 23, 2017

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

spit on my clit posted:

Vertical/Tree tabs. Though even then, the max I can really work with at any one time is 20. Any more than that and it's not effective.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snuffman posted:

mike12345 posted:

Holy crap, I think I finally found the reason why my Radeon driver crashed once a week. Didn't know this was a thing.

Bear in mind that this is one in a series of troubleshooting steps, not a solution in and of itself.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

astral posted:

Bear in mind that this is one in a series of troubleshooting steps, not a solution in and of itself.

New Nvidia drivers today, gonna give em a spin. Didn't seen any mention on /r/Nvidia, and they're usually pretty good at identifying issues with the new drivers quickly.

Still think the problem lies moreso with Firefox, especially if Radeon users are having problems too.

EDIT: Still hosed.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 2, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there any reason why Firefox still ships with both the regular internet bar and the search bar in the toolbar? It seems to me that its only purpose is to pull up a google/bing/etc page with your search, but I've always just used the regular bar for that. The search bar is always the first/only thing I remove. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's handy for selecting the specific search engine you want.

I have GIS, Wikipedia, Australian Google and the Oxford dictionary.