Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's so weird that Nick is doing this while Cartoon Network has really been pushing boundaries in the last few years , and its weakest show currently is the revival of an old property. It feels weird to see Rocko's big floppy art style again like nothing's changed. I guess maybe the current state of Viacom might be responsible?

I wonder if they'll even try to stage some kind of a comeback of Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents despite the fact that they never properly went off-air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's so weird that Nick is doing this while Cartoon Network has really been pushing boundaries in the last few years , and its weakest show currently is the revival of an old property. It feels weird to see Rocko's big floppy art style again like nothing's changed. I guess maybe the current state of Viacom might be responsible?

I wonder if they'll even try to stage some kind of a comeback of Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents despite the fact that they never properly went off-air.

Nah they're just gonna go past those and try reviving 2000 era properties like that one show with the sumo wrestlers or that CGI Martian show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nick seems to have a stronger association to the 90s, whereas CN's classic shows were more in their prime in the early 2000s, it seems. At least that's how it was for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait, there's not only a sequel series to That's So Raven, it's premiering tonight?!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Both CN and Nick have started to appreciate the Millennial market (for lack of a better term) and both of them are looking at it from two different directions. CN's original programming is more experimental and I think they've fully embraced hitting multiple dems with those sorts of shows while using TTG and Ben 10 as there space fillers and perennial merch and broadcast money makers. SU, AT and others can rake in cash from web views and ads on that end. Nick seems to be approaching it from the Nostalgia angle, reviving cult favorites rather than making new content, with Rocko and Hey Arnold getting movies and Zim getting a revival eventually.

CN's PPG and Samurai Jack was probably an attempt at also trying the waters with nostalgia, but it seems those were a bit less successful than anticipated.

Holy poo poo that cast list for Final Space btw: Tom Kenny, David Tennant, John DiMaggio, Conan O' Brien to name a few. And all of the TBS animated shows seem interesting at least. Definitely aimed towards a slightly older dem than [as]'s target.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

I am preemptively horrified and delighted by the antics of an animated Jason Mantzoukas.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macrame_God posted:

First the Rocko trailer and now this. Nickelodeon is really gunning for that 90s nostalgia money, aren't they? Still hyped though.

They rebooted Powerpuff Girls and there was just another Power Rangers movie. The 90s are back, baby! and I hate it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/InsideTheMagic/status/888534255151718400

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
apparently the only thing even remotely related to the comics and/or the old ducktales that's truly off limits is Mickey himself :getin:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also Lion King 1 1/2, which is basically the Rozencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead of the franchise.

It also has Julie Kavner as Timon's mom, which is like the one time in the past 20 years she played someone other than Marge Simpson.

Macrame_God posted:

First the Rocko trailer and now this. Nickelodeon is really gunning for that 90s nostalgia money, aren't they? Still hyped though.

Like 18 months ago there was some scuttlebutt that Nick was trying to make a Nicktoons cinematic universe. Maybe they still are?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You think they'll be getting Jim Cummings back?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Maybe, maybe not, but we need to be prepared to give whomever replaces him a chance, should the possibility arise.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just the opening so there's not really enough info to judge quality but the animation is nice and the characters are expressive so I think there's some potential here. Probably won't change the world but it could be cute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbwvm7Gp5Mw

Guy Mann posted:

Like 18 months ago there was some scuttlebutt that Nick was trying to make a Nicktoons cinematic universe. Maybe they still are?

That would be the worst idea ever. Though I do fully support non-canon series mashups done for shits and giggles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

readingatwork posted:

That would be the worst idea ever. Though I do fully support non-canon series mashups done for shits and giggles.

I'm getting flashbacks to when Universal Studios replaced their Hanna-Barbera 3d movie ride with a Nicktoons themed one in the early-00s and they made Jimmy Neutron the focus so it was already dated and irrelevant within like a year of being unveiled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So in!

The first issue of the new Ducktales comic based on the show came out this week and it has some interesting characterization for Donald and the nephews that's a bit different than I expected based on the trailers. But the fact that the nephews have any kind of separate personalities at all is a move in the right direction. I did expect as it was that Huey is the resourceful one that's a devotee to the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook and gets them out of jams. I did not expect Louie to basically be a mini Scrooge in that he's looking for any way to make a buck and profit out of every situation but it's played really well in the comic. Dewey seemed a bit harder to pin down but he seemed to basically be the carefree one that might be troublemaker of the group, but moreso just by getting them into jams. Donald is basically a super over-protective caretaker that's going to extreme measures trying to shield them from supposed dangers like a lake that's only two feet deep.

I don't know if the show is definitely going there but it was fun seeing the nephews not as basically three clones like the old cartoon. Not that I really minded it there though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

So in!

The first issue of the new Ducktales comic based on the show came out this week and it has some interesting characterization for Donald and the nephews that's a bit different than I expected based on the trailers. But the fact that the nephews have any kind of separate personalities at all is a move in the right direction. I did expect as it was that Huey is the resourceful one that's a devotee to the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook and gets them out of jams. I did not expect Louie to basically be a mini Scrooge in that he's looking for any way to make a buck and profit out of every situation but it's played really well in the comic. Dewey seemed a bit harder to pin down but he seemed to basically be the carefree one that might be troublemaker of the group, but moreso just by getting them into jams. Donald is basically a super over-protective caretaker that's going to extreme measures trying to shield them from supposed dangers like a lake that's only two feet deep.

I don't know if the show is definitely going there but it was fun seeing the nephews not as basically three clones like the old cartoon. Not that I really minded it there though.

Appearntly from his bio Dewey also really wants to stand out from his siblings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly from his bio Dewey also really wants to stand out from his siblings.

Where are these bios? I'm guessing a Disney website?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

X-O posted:

So in!

This sneak peak they just published should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DqkLNDo0E

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X-O posted:

Where are these bios? I'm guessing a Disney website?

Sorry not Bios an article were the creators detailed characters
http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/08/ducktales-exclusive-characters-cast/

quote:

“Since everyone always says ‘Huey, Dewey, and Louie’ in that exact order, we decided to make that the birth order, and by defining that, we were able to assign traits that fit,” says executive producer Matt Youngberg. “So, Huey’s the oldest, a little more responsible, a little bit brainy. Dewey wants to stand out, and wants to break out of being labeled as just one of a set of three. And Louie is happy being the youngest child — he can slip under the radar.”

And as well fitting with what you said from the comic.

quote:

"If Huey has Scrooge’s brains, Dewey has Scrooge’s guts, and Louie has Scrooge’s love of treasure, Webby has Scrooge’s heart.”

Louie is indeed the greedy one.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This sneak peak they just published should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-DqkLNDo0E

Man, Beck Bennett as Launchpad is so perfect. This is fantastic.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sorry not Bios an article were the creators detailed characters
http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/08/ducktales-exclusive-characters-cast/

And as well fitting with what you said from the comic.

Louie is indeed the greedy one.

Thanks for this!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Louie is obviously the evil triplet.

Makes me wonder how they're going to go with Darkwing Duck if he shows up. His early caped avenger days, pre-Gosalyn and Launchpad?

I read somewhere that Darkwing is basically a take on Donald Duck's Paperinik superhero persona from the comics, spun off into its own character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
IDK, three nephews with their own voices and personalities AND a more outgoing webby AND donald AND a murdermaid... with Launchpad and Scrooge that's eight regular characters to balance each episode. Seems like too much at once.

Promising all of DW's villains is also a little high, I'd prefer we just have one be the star of the episode and promise more later.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

apparently the only thing even remotely related to the comics and/or the old ducktales that's truly off limits is Mickey himself :getin:

In an earlier interview they mentioned they were allowed to borrow from pretty much any Disney Afternoon show besides Rescue Rangers(since that's tied into a movie at the moment), so fingers crossed for a version of Legend of The Chaos God happening in Ducktales 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Louie is obviously the evil triplet.

Makes me wonder how they're going to go with Darkwing Duck if he shows up. His early caped avenger days, pre-Gosalyn and Launchpad?

I read somewhere that Darkwing is basically a take on Donald Duck's Paperinik superhero persona from the comics, spun off into its own character.

DW actually was more an idea spinoff of the Ducktales episode where Scrooge is a superhero. But that itself was probably based on several different similar things in one version or another of the comics. The Italian market for Disney and, Donald Duck Comics especially, was pretty voracious and I'm pretty sure even continues on today. There are more Italian Disney comics that any of us can probably fathom.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hemingway To Go! posted:

IDK, three nephews with their own voices and personalities AND a more outgoing webby AND donald AND a murdermaid... with Launchpad and Scrooge that's eight regular characters to balance each episode. Seems like too much at once.

Promising all of DW's villains is also a little high, I'd prefer we just have one be the star of the episode and promise more later.

Eh, I doubt Donald, Launchpad, and Ms. Beasley will be showing up every episode. Regardless, there's certainly potential for there to be bloat, but from the clips they've shown they seem to be doing a pretty good job of giving each character a unique voice while keeping things manageable.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X-O posted:

DW actually was more an idea spinoff of the Ducktales episode where Scrooge is a superhero. But that itself was probably based on several different similar things in one version or another of the comics. The Italian market for Disney and, Donald Duck Comics especially, was pretty voracious and I'm pretty sure even continues on today. There are more Italian Disney comics that any of us can probably fathom.

Actually Darkwing Duck was originally going to be a Secret Agent series, and ended up having elements of The Shadow and the Adam West Batman mixed in

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Gravity Falls had both Dipper and Mabel, Grunkle Stan, Soos, Wendy, and depending on the season either Robbie or Ford as regular characters on top of all of the recurring townspeople and monsters and it did OK.

X-O posted:

In that one interview with Tad Stones that I mentioned awhile back he said that Darkwing originally started as a James Bond parody called Double-O Duck that was going to star Launchpad at one point, but Disney objected because they wanted the show to have a broader direction than being a direct parody of a single thing. It's why a lot of the villains in Darkwing Duck are riffs on Bond villains and archetypes and also why Launchpad wound up being a regular character despite the show being a completely separate universe from Ducktales.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, I doubt Donald, Launchpad, and Ms. Beasley will be showing up every episode. Regardless, there's certainly potential for there to be bloat, but from the clips they've shown they seem to be doing a pretty good job of giving each character a unique voice while keeping things manageable.

Donald is apparently going to be a Regular.

The main cast from the opening that will be in pretty much every episode seems to be Scrooge, Donald, Webby and the Nephews.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

holy poo poo, this is what it feels when nostalgia grabs you by the balls

also Regular Show But Crude And No Mordecai BS is shockingly exciting.

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, there's not only a sequel series to That's So Raven, it's premiering tonight?!

yeah, Corey In The House is a thing, mostly a meme bu- wait, what the gently caress?! Raven's Home????

There's too much animation and general children programming happening, i can't keep up!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Mann posted:

Gravity Falls had both Dipper and Mabel, Grunkle Stan, Soos, Wendy, and depending on the season either Robbie or Ford as regular characters on top of all of the recurring townspeople and monsters and it did OK.

In that one interview with Tad Stones that I mentioned awhile back he said that Darkwing originally started as a James Bond parody called Double-O Duck that was going to star Launchpad at one point, but Disney objected because they wanted the show to have a broader direction than being a direct parody of a single thing. It's why a lot of the villains in Darkwing Duck are riffs on Bond villains and archetypes and also why Launchpad wound up being a regular character despite the show being a completely separate universe from Ducktales.

It seems like that works well enough given Batman takes on Bond villains half the time anyway. (Ra's Al Ghul is straight out of a Bond movie a lot of the time. ...and the last Bond turned into Batman, oddly enough)

Given the whole point of Scrooge is that he's a character with capital-h History, they could get a lot of worldbuilding out of various stuff he's been involved with over the years.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

One of my friends has been trying to get me into this show called Wander Over Yonder. He's almost sold me on it, but one of my other friends has been telling me that it ends on a giant cop-out and the main character's obnoxious. So I'm on the fence. Thoughts? And if it really is that bad,any alternatives to suggest?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The main character's obnoxiousness can result in some really funny episodes, like when they end up on the planet that's basically a giant Bad-Guy Bar - Wander of course does the old schtick of lying about how tough he is but in doing so builds a reputation there out of stuff he actually does do so by the time he gets to the main guy's mansion he has started a bar fight, led the whole bar on a massive chase through town after stealing a motorcycle and committed multiple assaults while in character, because he's going all in with his little "game" of playing tough guy. It starts with him first of all claiming to have his own wanted poster, and proving it by ripping a guys comically thick carpet of chest hair off and physically drawing one with a crayon right there and then. It's a very hit and miss show in general but that one was a good one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

X-O posted:

Exactly. If you take care of your voice you can do the same voices for decades. I mean just look at Mel Blanc, really the only voice of his that degraded noticeably with age was Yosemite Sam and he didn't even take good care of his voice.

You could tell the difference in all his characters if you compared any of the garbo '80s Looney Tunes to anything in the previous decades. He sounded comparatively like a tape recorder that was running low on batteries.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Yessssss! This is gonna be great! I hope Gosalyn shows up too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, rewatching Rocko I hadn't noticed how much more detailed the animation in "Trash-O-Madness" was. There seems to be way more time given to character's reactions building across their faces, especially when Rocko is trying to cast the cube of trash into the garbage truck, and when spunky brings the refrigerator-slimeball into the bathtub. Also the censor jokes in the episode where Heifer chokes to death are amazing, especially the sign that clearly says "Hell", but the ls are crudely crossed out and "CK" is scrawled across them instead. Also love when Rocko notices a cartoon symptom of death and reacts with "Heifer.. you've got 'X's for eyes... WHAT IN BLAZES DOES THAT MEAN!?" Also the eye exam in the driving test was inspired, with the doctor deliberately scaring the hell out of Rocko, then when his eyes bulge out of their sockets he just yells "HOLD THAT POSE! They're much easier to examine this way..." :3: I like animation jokes.

I also like Rocko's character, that when he gets angry he can get quite effective. It often doesn't happen until the end of the episode but when he sees red he makes way more effective use of cartoon physics that when he's feeling mild. He also seems to lose all fear in those moments as his focus just becomes laser-sharp, like when he goes ballistic on the large dog who eats Spunky and the garbage cube - for most of the episode he terrified of it, but when something important to him gets lost he goes all out to get it back. Also seen in the cowboy episode where Heifer nearly gets sold at market.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 22, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

They're also making a new high school musical...about zombies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macaluso posted:

Ha I never gave the laugh track thing one though when I was a kid but that was a funny thing they did looking back on it. I mean I get why but it's still funny they had a laugh track and that it also worked??

I always thought it was kinda funny how they edited out the laugh tracks for the reruns on Cartoon Network / Boomerang. If you listened closely you could still hear bits that they couldn't edit out because they overlap with cross talk between the characters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One of the main flaws I found classic Rocko has is that sometimes, like in the flu episode, it can rely a little too much on the gross-out humour, but the cool thing is it keeps it to a bare minimum. That was the first episode so far with that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This doesn't bring me the same level of nostalgia the Rocko thing did. The Rocko footage actually looked like it came came right from the original show. Artwise the Hey Arnold footage here just doesn't look right. Something about it just feels really off. The later seasons of the show looked REALLY good and this just doesn't look as good.

Also I know the voice actors can't be the same, but man new Helga sounds REALLY bad

edit: It occurs to me that the link in that post isn't the full clip that has Helga talking in it so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuj9svFUiJs