Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone made a mod where you keep items on death but only if you had them last time you slept? On the surface it seems a decent compromise - you wouldn't lose your primary gear but are still punished by dropping loot and gathered materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RichardA posted:

Has anyone made a mod where you keep items on death but only if you had them last time you slept? On the surface it seems a decent compromise - you wouldn't lose your primary gear but are still punished by dropping loot and gathered materials.
That's what Subnautica does. You 'check' items when returning to a safe zone and just lose any stuff you'd picked up since then. Seems like a good option to me since you can miss out on loot -- even important loot -- but basically never run the risk of losing big crafts or equipment, which are usually made in the base.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

frenzy posted:

sorry if you're a slave and don't have time in life to enjoy videogames. I think it's pretty obvious fun is relative and opinions will differ based on ones capacity to actually enjoy a game, Losing your inventory is literally the only consequence of death, and by making the game a safe space you're just cheating yourself but if you want to call that fun I'm not going to call you a retard, though I will try and throw you a lifeline by describing how you're wrong. I like how so many people itt get so worked up over one guy saying keepinventory=true is boring, I mean is that opinion not allowed to exist, am I wrong for feeling the things I feel, are my thoughts and ideas not valid. No one is going to take SA modded minecraft seriously if it's full of a bunch of whiny babies who can't stand to hear opposing views and rage out when they lose their potato gnishes to the point they make sure it never happens again by completely disabling the mechanic with an admin command, maybe that's part of why it's so dead around here

Is this a joke post?

Are you seriously arguing that "I died because the server kicked us out and spawned creeps on us" is fair? If I died via my own fault, i'm ok with that, I hosed up. If the server drops or bugs out on me, i'm cheating my stuff back in.

If so, you're broken in the head and can piss off, lol.

E:

quote:

No one is going to take SA modded minecraft seriously

Its loving minecraft

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Ahh, that was a good sleep, what happened since yesterdays snarkfest...

frenzy posted:

sorry if you're a slave and don't have time in life to enjoy videogames. I think it's pretty obvious fun is relative and opinions will differ based on ones capacity to actually enjoy a game,

:stonk:

Is this satire, am I missing something?

Seriously, "sorry you're a slave" Jesus Tits buddy, you just gonna go full into "cashuls may vijemogaems" and blame that for why a the dead, gay SA forums are dead and gay.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

When I was a kid I used to mix up my Lego with MegaBlox and even some playmobil figures I thought were cool. Come at me.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

What a time to come back into this thread. People melting down over how other people play Minecraft, it's like I'm in the FTB subreddit.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

That's what Subnautica does. You 'check' items when returning to a safe zone and just lose any stuff you'd picked up since then. Seems like a good option to me since you can miss out on loot -- even important loot -- but basically never run the risk of losing big crafts or equipment, which are usually made in the base.
actually, it's terrible because there are unique items you can pick up and if you die with them in your inventory before you get back to base they're gone forever :v:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

AceClown posted:

When I was a kid I used to mix up my Lego with MegaBlox...

Nah, we cool...

AceClown posted:

...and even some playmobil figures I thought were cool. Come at me.

Have you no self respect?

You must be some kind of slave.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

If you want to play a magical-themed modpack with nonstandard progression, Pickle Pack: Magical 3 is pretty decent.

Tell me about this please. What's its deal?

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you know which mod it is?

InControl! will let you make all manner of spawn rules, so that you can have it get more and more dangerous as you get further from spawn, both by limiting what can spawn and buffing them with gear and potions. It's neat. I will eventually share out a config for vanilla biomes and mobs, once I am happy with it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Has there been any kind of "new hotness" in skyblock maps? I was just thinking today that there hasn't been anything along the lines of PO2 since 1.7. Yeah, there's SkyFactory but that's not very good at teaching you how the mods work as you go along.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has there been any kind of "new hotness" in skyblock maps? I was just thinking today that there hasn't been anything along the lines of PO2 since 1.7. Yeah, there's SkyFactory but that's not very good at teaching you how the mods work as you go along.

Nothing that teaches you mods on their own, not really. All I can point to is challenge modpacks that subvert the natural order for rigid, sometimes grindy progression.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Tell me about this please. What's its deal?

You know how some modpacks put tech mods or magic mods in tiers so you have to get materials from one to advance in the other? Pickle Pack Magical 3 (PPM3?) does that to an extent, but the gating materials are pretty early on in each mod so you just need some basic infrastructure from one before you can advance into the next. Also there's a special "mana dust" ore you need to mine to get materials you need for some entry items for the magic mods. So it puts you into Botania and TiCon first, then Thaumcraft, then Blood Magic. Magical Crops is mostly gated behind Thaumcraft, and so is Thermal Expansion because you need thaumium to make machines(yeah it's not pure magic). It has EE3 in it but the transmutation table looks like it's gated behind doing loving everything in other mods and getting a lot of EMC to boot. The philosopher's stone seems to be the main tool from that mod, but I haven't checked the recipes for the other EE3 blocks.

I think the quest book is really well made. You're told to complete each questline partially to unlock new ones, and that's good advice because of how the gating works.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Project Ozone 2 does a terrible job at teaching you how the mods work too, at least if we're talking the non-standard things like Magneticraft, Pneumaticraft. Also doesn't lead you to good power sources unless you know what you're doing.

Somewhat of a shame that I've already got a BigReactor with 4 maxed turbines (and this is with 60% control rods!) before having a chance to play with the interaction of milking various liquid cows for fuel. It does let me make RFTools worlds after their ridiculous power multiplier on their requirements, however, but then that means I'm post-scarcity and just going through the motions of the quest book.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

actually, it's terrible because there are unique items you can pick up and if you die with them in your inventory before you get back to base they're gone forever :v:
That just means it would actually work even better in Minecraft than Subnautica.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Nothing that teaches you mods on their own, not really. All I can point to is challenge modpacks that subvert the natural order for rigid, sometimes grindy progression.
I'm still open for suggestions here too.
I tried SkyExchange 2 Lite and Modern Skyblock 2 but neither one has a quest book and skyblocks without quest books can feel pretty drat aimless.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I'm still open for suggestions here too.
I tried SkyExchange 2 Lite and Modern Skyblock 2 but neither one has a quest book and skyblocks without quest books can feel pretty drat aimless.

Oh, cool. In that case, I'm doing Age of Engineering. It's very much like Infinity Evolved in that all the tech mods are gated behind each other in a strict tech tree. There's no quest book, but there is an in-game manual of sorts (accessible via the book icon at the top left corner of your screen when you open your inventory.) There are 14 different tiers of progression. It can be pretty grindy, and you will have conniptions when you need Yet Another Goddamn Load Of Clay. Among the things it gates is quality of life stuff as well, like storage and convenience stuff, so be warned.

For example, you start out on the tech tree by making a Coke Oven from Immersive Engineering. To make one, you need to make a Tinker's Construct smeltery, as the coke brick recipe's been changed to include "lavawood," which is a wood plank with a quarter bucket of lava poured over it. The smeltery doesn't double your ores, though -- that comes later. You use the Creosote Oil to make an IC2 forge hammer, which is the key item needed to progress from the zeroth tier to tier 1.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is it not a skyblock? Like Evil Mastermind I meant that's what I was looking for, even if it was rigid. Or is there a skyblock mode in it like some packs have?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Is it not a skyblock? Like Evil Mastermind I meant that's what I was looking for, even if it was rigid. Or is there a skyblock mode in it like some packs have?

Oh, no. It's not a skyblock.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in Age of Engineering, i wanted to make some garden cloches from IE, so i needed to make two Actually Additions farmers, which both needed Advanced Greenhouses, which need some chamber or another from calculator, which needed an infused diamond from AA, which required lithium dust (which needed nether quartz to go into a thermal centrifuge - which needed a mining laser, which needed an advanced circuit, which needed infused redstone and lapis from AA), a rare Nether gem, fertiliser and ash from Forestry

because i wanted a lot of seeds

it's interesting doing such a vertical tech tree but it makes it hard to run things in parallel

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

in Age of Engineering, i wanted to make some garden cloches from IE, so i needed to make two Actually Additions farmers, which both needed Advanced Greenhouses, which need some chamber or another from calculator, which needed an infused diamond from AA, which required lithium dust (which needed nether quartz to go into a thermal centrifuge - which needed a mining laser, which needed an advanced circuit, which needed infused redstone and lapis from AA), a rare Nether gem, fertiliser and ash from Forestry

it's interesting doing such a vertical tech tree but it makes it hard to run things in parallel

it only gets worse from there, too

i'm just now setting up my AE network and oh god the intermediate crafting

it gets better too -- UU-matter lets you dupe all the machine casings and the basic capacitors from ender io for tiny amounts of uu-matter, it's baller

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

I was thinking of starting Age of Engineering just yesterday.

Thanks for letting me know to avoid it.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
guys /keepinventory is good

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Solid Poopsnake posted:

guys /keepinventory is good

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

im playing AoE with keepinventory off :ohdear: :twisted: :gary:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fayk posted:

Probably MUDs, but I don't remember. I definitely remember it being used in EQ, but UO and Meridian 59 preceded it. I don't remember what death penalty was in M59 though.

get all corpse

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

im playing AoE with keepinventory off :ohdear: :twisted: :gary:

Same. It's not the worst as AOE has the tombstone mod, but if I was playing single player (or had admin on the server) I'd definitely turn keep inventory on.

And cheat in a lot of diamonds.

It's probably best I don't have admin.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Playstation 4 posted:

Seriously, "sorry you're a slave" Jesus Tits buddy, you just gonna go full into "cashuls may vijemogaems" and blame that for why a the dead, gay SA forums are dead and gay.

dude if someone calls you a fuckface are you not going to reply in kind. A lot of people who don't normally post in this dead gay thread about this dead gay game woke up over this so I feel like we should do it more often

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If that was the level of discourse by "waking" people up I think we'd be better off not doing that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

WAKE UP CREEPLE

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Soulbound armor and weapons, gravestones, and recall stones are all you need and are objectively better and if you don't use them you're a fuckin' corporate slave wasting your time all day, there I said it

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

frenzy posted:

Soulbound armor and weapons, gravestones, and recall stones are all you need and are objectively better and if you don't use them you're a fuckin' corporate slave wasting your time all day, there I said it

You forgot Stargates, because SG Craft is thematically awesome. :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As long as I'm complaining about the dearth of modern skyblocks, nothing disappoints me like opening a pack that boasts quests, but then it turns out they just meant that lazy "achievement book" thing where you click checkboxes to remember that you've done something. So I guess I'm dropping Sky Factory 3 off the list too.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Both of the actual questing mods have their own annoying UI quirks/bugs, so a simple checkbox approach that serves the purpose of giving me direction and knowhow works just fine for me. To each their own.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's cool to get Stuff from quests though. That's part of the expectation if someone's mentioning questing, can't speak for Vib Rib but I'd be just as irritated at saying they've got quests and then it's just achievements that happen through one of the questing mods.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The thing I liked about PO2's quests was that it was at least trying to teach you how the mods worked. The problem was that it had too many drat mods, and didn't just start you at one end of each mod and walk you to the other. It kept you jumping around between everything.

Which I was asking about new skyblock maps; I find them very good at helping you learn your way through stuff since you're forced to focus on your immediate needs.

(Admittedly, the problem I have with trying to learn mods is that I get distracted and keep restarting maps. But that's a different problem.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Toadsmash posted:

Both of the actual questing mods have their own annoying UI quirks/bugs, so a simple checkbox approach that serves the purpose of giving me direction and knowhow works just fine for me. To each their own.
To me both questing systems are better because they can help direct progression. They offer a handful of things over an achievement checklist: Branching options in a more directed structure, rewards for quests to help gate or organize progression (as well as accelerate boring stretches), and a more involved description for each quest that can give instructions and steps along the way. Add that in with automatic checking and a better visual accompaniment (including things like item icons) and it feels worlds different for me.
On top of it all, most achievement books just read like really lazy, last-minute additions. "See if you can gather 20000 pumpkins!" "Fully automate the production of advanced jetpacks for some reason!" "Kill the wither with just your fists!"

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Dang. That should be interesting. I started playing that modpack recently but I'm still mucking around in age 2. Got a decent IC2 ore processing setup going, with 2 LV compact solar panels feeding a 300k EU battery... Just sorta taking my time and mining everything building up a stockpile of materials before continuing.

I did cheat in a creative capacitor bank feeding a small AE2 setup (drive box, 8 64k drives, crafting terminal) to get rid of the tedium of material/crafting management. gently caress dealing with ten billion chests.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frenzy posted:

dude if someone calls you a fuckface are you not going to reply in kind. A lot of people who don't normally post in this dead gay thread about this dead gay game woke up over this so I feel like we should do it more often

I play with keepinventory on as a power play to irritate you specifically.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I have plans to make a new skyblock pack centered on magical mods in 1.12, but CraftTweaker and ModTweaker only just came out (and ModTweaker only supports Thermal Expansion right now, which... isn't an intended mod), and Botania isn't out yet. It'll be a while before it can really even begin development.

In the meantime I am working on a sort of lightweight kitchen sink pack for 1.12, without the usual design sense of literally goddamn everything. It'll be ready hopefully in the next couple of weeks, assuming Botania gets released. Basic modlist of major stuff will be Astral Sorcery, Botania, Embers, Roots, Actually Additions, Extra Utilities, the full Thermal Expansion suite, plus a variety of other mods to support them. In particular, it'll have Lost Cities for people who want to play with crazy abandoned cityscapes, and those who don't want the overworld to have it don't have to. Mostly just config changes to bring it together, I don't have plans for recipe rewriting for this one without good reason. It'll be used as basis for a bee-focused pack a friend of mine has requested that will ultimately have modified recipes to incorporate bee products all over the place, gods save my soul for actually doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have a very specific affliction that makes me enjoy minecraft beekeeping, so this theoretical pack actually sounds interesting