Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you use the This Way voice command players get an arrow directing them to your location

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ranked up once in Salmon Run and I think I've finally found a shooter PVE mode that I actually enjoy! I love that the rounds don't drag on too long and I love that the weapons are randomized so everyone is forced into a role.

There's also some pretty hilarious and hosed up social commentary in this mode.:v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I kept on getting more kills than the rest of my team combined and inked the most turf and yet we lost seven games in a row because I can only carry so much.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
Thanks LethalGeek for killing Flanzig so much ya bitch :argh:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bandaid.friend posted:

The manual says yes it stays

tight

Nephzinho posted:

Two biggest problems in Salmon Run are flyfish and your teammates. Had a good group earlier and we had a good system of roller covering bombers for flyflish, but there are a few spawn points where you just physically can't get to them and have to just dodge the whole round. Glowflies is probably the easiest round, you just have the person attracting them stand on top and everyone else is free to shoot.

oh hey neph

yeah high tide flyfish spawning across that bridge is basically the worst, which we learned the hard way. second time it happened cow and I went out to take care of him... and we did! but then we both got laser sniped by a stinger across the map because there was nowhere to run :shrug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh yeah, i had another question

i beat the first boss of the story mode and sheldon said something about ammo knights having stuff that needed real world testing and then he could make retail versions that you could use in turf war

i couldn't figure out what this was talking about since i didn't seem to unlock anything. what am i missing?

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Every level has a screen showing you if you've completed it with a specific weapon, it's at the bottom right before you enter the level. I imagine if you complete all the levels with a hero weapon you unlock it in Sheldons shop.

You'll notice it more in world 2 since it actually has more than 1 weapon to use

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kaubocks posted:

oh yeah, i had another question

i beat the first boss of the story mode and sheldon said something about ammo knights having stuff that needed real world testing and then he could make retail versions that you could use in turf war

i couldn't figure out what this was talking about since i didn't seem to unlock anything. what am i missing?

you get to test em so they unlock in the 2nd set of stages

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So it's basically the amiibo only challenges that were in Splatoon 1.

How do amiibo unlocks work? I scanned the green squid and got the power helmet but it won't give me the rest. Is it one a day or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its very painful being stuck with the charger in salmon run while your teammates with better guns just run around with eggs

You can shoot even if you're carrying an egg! Once the difficulty turns up you can't just leisurely run around, you need to ABS. Always. Be. Splatting.

Closers get meal tickets!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
My first three rounds I kept getting clowned by a dude who obviously played the first game and was a veteran.

Then I finally embraced the motion controls. This game is so good.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
amiibo unlocks:
https://rankedboost.com/splatoon-2/amiibos/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
God loving damnit I hate getting the charger on the last round of salmon run. Its a guaranteed wipe because I'm the only person who can be bothered to rez teammates and its really hard with the charger to fight and rez and get eggs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the charger should be banned from salmon run

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This tells you basically nothing. Each one gives you a headgear, chest, and shoes. That site doesn't actually tell you what you get beyond the old ones which we already know, they're the same.

leftist heap posted:

the charger should be banned from salmon run

loving seriously

Its not bad if you're with a team of good people, you can be the sniper / egg running guy, but man if you're on a poo poo team and you're the guy carrying everybody and suddenly you get the charger

That's game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, when you get saddled with the Charger, you're pretty much a support. In order to do much, you have to hope that the rest of your team can cover you while you can cover them and take out some of the peskier Boss Salmonids, like the Steelheads.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

If the missle shooting boss shows up in wave 3, its GG because half the team will promptly get murdered on the first salvo and no one will actually bother to throw bombs at it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It kills me how many people are like "I'm gonna go solo this boss"

And don't stop and wonder "Hey I wonder where my teammates are right now, perhaps fighting another boss?"

Like good job even if you kill him you can only carry one of the eggs and meanwhile you're not helping everybody else.

But I just got the final reward for today's salmon run, I guess I could lap it but I'm just gonna go back to normal splat battles for now

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Zaphod42 posted:

God loving damnit I hate getting the charger on the last round of salmon run. Its a guaranteed wipe because I'm the only person who can be bothered to rez teammates and its really hard with the charger to fight and rez and get eggs.

I suggest the Splat Bomb for emergency rescues if you have the Ink. They explode instantly if they hit someone, slight AoE, and it's easy to quickly throw one out and keep running away.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For real getting stuck with the Charger in Salmon Run is a miserable experience. Even trying to fight Steelfish with the roller is better than that poo poo.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

While my turf war teams may have been crap today, my salmon run crew were pretty awesome.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I get almost as many points with the charger as I do with the roller. Use your squids mobility to line up shots where you can take out as many small fry as possible with one shot. You can get really good at chaining these at some spawn points.

When I have the charger I focus on Steelheads and the bosses that need grenades, but other than that, I pick targets based on the situation like normal, you just need to focus on re-positioning a lot more.

I think it is worse when you're the only one left, in my experience it's also a pretty good weapon at protecting you from being the only one left. Unless of course your allies are fighting a boss right next to each other and they all get splatted in one move. That seems to be the main game ender for me on any weapon at 160 pay grade, though.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The charger is good for killing metal head and... That's about it

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Hahaha just realised the "small fry" salmons literally have small frying pans as weapons I love this game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gentleman Baller posted:

I get almost as many points with the charger as I do with the roller. Use your squids mobility to line up shots where you can take out as many small fry as possible with one shot. You can get really good at chaining these at some spawn points.

When I have the charger I focus on Steelheads and the bosses that need grenades, but other than that, I pick targets based on the situation like normal, you just need to focus on re-positioning a lot more.

I think it is worse when you're the only one left, in my experience it's also a pretty good weapon at protecting you from being the only one left. Unless of course your allies are fighting a boss right next to each other and they all get splatted in one move. That seems to be the main game ender for me on any weapon at 160 pay grade, though.

It ain't about points though. I can get poo poo tons of points with the charger if my team is on the ball. Did you even read our posts?

The problem is when your team is a bunch of lone wolves and you have to rez them and fight off the hordes and you're surrounded with enemy ink; the charger just won't cut the mustard with its long firing delay.

All the other weapons, even the roller, you can totally carry the team with. But not the charger. And making it to round 4 only to suddenly get stuck with the charger and have to helplessly watch while your teammates all die is infuriating.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Which one of you drew the "anime sucks =)" drawing?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bitter fly posted:

Which one of you drew the "anime sucks =)" drawing?

I dont know but its mean and wrong

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey so are people actually using the voice app

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It kills me how many people are like "I'm gonna go solo this boss"

And don't stop and wonder "Hey I wonder where my teammates are right now, perhaps fighting another boss?"

Like good job even if you kill him you can only carry one of the eggs and meanwhile you're not helping everybody else.

But I just got the final reward for today's salmon run, I guess I could lap it but I'm just gonna go back to normal splat battles for now

You can get the super bonus twice per day, after that you get no more meal tickets but you do get more shirts. So there's pretty much no reward for doing it after 1200 points per cycle.

Tomorrow's cycle has completely different guns!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

eonwe posted:

hey so are people actually using the voice app

you can only use it to play salmon run which is easier on discord or private matches which no one plays so no

but the app does have an exclusive item shop that rotates faster

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

It ain't about points though. I can get poo poo tons of points with the charger if my team is on the ball. Did you even read our posts?

The problem is when your team is a bunch of lone wolves and you have to rez them and fight off the hordes and you're surrounded with enemy ink; the charger just won't cut the mustard with its long firing delay.

All the other weapons, even the roller, you can totally carry the team with. But not the charger. And making it to round 4 only to suddenly get stuck with the charger and have to helplessly watch while your teammates all die is infuriating.

You get points from killing enemies and reviving team mates, afaik it's the only way to really measure those stats.

I haven't gotten far enough in Salmon run to start getting 4 waves, so maybe it's completely different later. But I did play a lot of it, almost got to my second shirt, and once you get really good at killing small enemies with it, it makes a huge impact on the game and your teammates survivability.

If you're getting harder, 4 wave games than I am and you're managing to survive with other weapons when your teammates are all split up and dying, then yeah you're probably good enough to not need to take any advice from me or anything.

I've just noticed a lot of my allies use the charger to kill 1 or 2 small enemies per shot, or focus fire on a boss they have no need to, while there's a bunch of enemies lined up in a row just waiting for them to splat in a single shot, and that sort of gameplay makes the charger way worse than it is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

abraham linksys posted:

you can only use it to play salmon run which is easier on discord or private matches which no one plays so no

but the app does have an exclusive item shop that rotates faster

alright nobody is doing voip on the nintendo goons discord so I guess ill use the reddit one???? idk

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zaphod42 posted:

wait htere's a fourth round? how far do you have to get payroll wise to do that i'm only at 190%

this mode gets ridiculous so hard, 3 bombers, 2 snakes, and 2 rainers all just casually spawn instantly on the first wave

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gentleman Baller posted:

I've just noticed a lot of my allies use the charger to kill 1 or 2 small enemies per shot, or focus fire on a boss they have no need to, while there's a bunch of enemies lined up in a row just waiting for them to splat in a single shot, and that sort of gameplay makes the charger way worse than it is.

Here's the thing with the Charger though; You might be a poo poo-hot player with one, but you're still rolling the dice on getting it once in 3/4 rounds, and the rest of the time it'll be in someone else's hands. It's a bad weapon type to have in a mode like Salmon Run in general.

The next round of weapons looks far more varied and interesting though, I'm looking forward to that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Got it from the green inkling girl amiibo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

wait htere's a fourth round? how far do you have to get payroll wise to do that i'm only at 190%

this mode gets ridiculous so hard, 3 bombers, 2 snakes, and 2 rainers all just casually spawn instantly on the first wave

Meant the 3rd, typo. But things get hairy when the difficulty ramps up, and with other weapons even under pressure I can usually ink myself to safety, build up, rez people, and turn it around.

With the charger's delay, if you're surrounded by enemy ink and being attacked, you're done for. I'm well aware how to use it well, I played tons of splatoon 1, its just really more of a support role and most randoms aren't being team players right now so being stuck in a support role for people who are all acting like lone wolves is very frustrating.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Got it from the green inkling girl amiibo.

Agh I want some shades so bad. Where'd ya get em?

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Does everyone use motion controls? i suck :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Milosh posted:

a bunch of goons are going to tell you you're garbage if you don't use motion controls, but do whatever makes you happy friend

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Look like the rest of my night is completing ever stage with every weapon in story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Milosh posted:

They're annoying to me and I'm doing great with normal analog sticks.