Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Did Jillian misunderstand that question and think Julie was asking her who she'd target? Does Jillian think Alex betrayed her and she's best working with Elena and Raven? If she did misunderstand why the hell would she target Elena and Raven of all people?

Even for BB19 Jillian's pretty clueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So on Global in Canada, they announced during an ad break that BBCAN is coming back in 2018 due to the fan response!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So is it possible they bring back 2 HGs? Julie mentioned that it was a little different. And they need to account for Meghan leaving to get back on their planned schedule.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Halting Hex could be the accounting. Or they could have canceled a Double Eviction.

I don't know. I imagine you need to have a possible DE in case the Hex doesn't get used so that would mean either there's a chance we have 0 DEs this season or they planned for possibly 3. I can't figure this out at all and I find it hard to believe that they planned for the Den of Temptation to be 3 weeks and done. So I don't really know what to expect from this Curse or going forward production wise.

If the "Season of Temptation" amounts to handing out one useless power and giving two other people a month of security then it might be a bigger flop than MVP and Care Packages combined. So for now I'm assuming there's a curve ball coming so I don't get too down on the season.

But at least it's still not as game breaking as Battle of The Block.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm so glad Dom and her hosed up weird Christianity/ Youtube personality are gone

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

In general, as a religious person, I always tend to think that when religions get weird like that its often either them kind of trying to get insular and set up a dick measuring contest of how religious you are (which is a definite vibe I get off Dom) or its people losing their foot in "this world" and focusing way too much on "the next one."

I like my religion to be mostly about helping people.

So if you think God spoke to you and told you to open a soup kitchen, that's pretty cool and I don't care if it was God telling you to do it or just your own personal sense of charity. But if you're saying God told you who your enemy is in Big Brother then you've probably got a really self absorbed sense of what God gives a poo poo about.

“And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father who is in secret; and thy Father who seeth in secret shall reward thee openly".

The impression I get of Dominique is that she wants everyone to be impressed with how religious she is.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

The Halting Hex could be the accounting. Or they could have canceled a Double Eviction.

I don't know. I imagine you need to have a possible DE in case the Hex doesn't get used so that would mean either there's a chance we have 0 DEs this season or they planned for possibly 3. I can't figure this out at all and I find it hard to believe that they planned for the Den of Temptation to be 3 weeks and done. So I don't really know what to expect from this Curse or going forward production wise.

If the "Season of Temptation" amounts to handing out one useless power and giving two other people a month of security then it might be a bigger flop than MVP and Care Packages combined. So for now I'm assuming there's a curve ball coming so I don't get too down on the season.

But at least it's still not as game breaking as Battle of The Block.

That is how pretty much every Big Brother twist works though? It usually lasts for 4 weeks and then it's forgotten about. Megan quitting might have made us lose a temptation, but otherwise, seems normal.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bloops Crusts posted:

How does Jessica get the temptation?
People like underdogs in the house. If you look at like jokers rankings or something, as soon as Cody went out Jessica started moving way up in popularity. Alex's support started dying down once people realized how closely she was working with Paul. People wanted to give the power to someone that would need it and not to someone who would save Paul if he was in trouble. Also Jessica got a lot of airtime on the show. Casual fans probably could only recognize her, Alex, Paul, and like one or two others.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

There's this huge contingent of online BB fans who basically hate the show, think everything is rigged, think they've handpicked Paul as the winner and everyone else is a plant

To be fair this was the SA forums about this season before Cody happened and this is the SA forums whenever somebody they don't like is winning.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

We just want it to be a good season, and know that Cody coming back in is more likely to form a secret alliance with Paul instead of a cool war between them. I don't mind Jessica having the power if Cody wasn't coming back, but both of those combined will just end up with the week 1 HoH smug crew, which is pretty boring feed watching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MisterZimbu posted:

To be fair this was the SA forums about this season before Cody happened and this is the SA forums whenever somebody they don't like is winning.

I mean, I think production sometimes has it's favorites and people get cozy edits or a little help. And giving Paul safety from the first eviction and then having 3 weeks of safety handed out that was almost certain to go to Paul is total bullshit.

But that's still a ways away from "Alison Grodner is a disgusting evil bitch who slept with Paul and personally recruited minions ordered to do his bidding, hand picked Christmas to win the second Temptation and are breaking the rules to keep her in to help Paul, and threaten HGs in the DR to get on board with Paul's plan, and tip Paul off to everything happening all so he can win the season because he makes Grodhog horny and Cody dared to challenge that so they rigged everything against him."

That's an actual really popular sentiment among the BB online fanbase. It's one thing to think something is unfair. It's another entirely to think it's all a grand conspiracy.

Also "before Cody happened" was just Episode 1.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

That is how pretty much every Big Brother twist works though? It usually lasts for 4 weeks and then it's forgotten about. Megan quitting might have made us lose a temptation, but otherwise, seems normal.

This seems shorter than previous ones. MVP lasted 6 weeks. I think Care Package was the same. Battle of the Black was longer than that. I guess 3 weeks or more or less in line with stuff like the BB13 partner twist, BB14 coaches, or BB11 teams. And maybe Megan's departure took a week away. 3 weeks just seems surprisingly short to me. And it's weird the way the Temptations went with 2 mega ones and then just one dinky one in between.

But I think BB flies by the seat of their pants on this stuff sometimes. Remember last season they had "Takeovers" for the first couple of weeks and then it just stopped? It's a pretty flight production.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Special Episode!

I dig this Battle Back format.

Cameron seems annoying but I'm pulling for him since he got screwed, has the best chance to add something different to the house, and isnt Cody.

In wondering who the HGs would vote in to the final competition I suddenly realized Alex has been an absolute beast. In 2 HOHs and 3 POVs she's won twice and finished second twice. That airport POV is the only one she struggled in and I'm still not sure how since she skipped the worst delays.

So I'm guessing Alex vs Cody/Cameron or maybe Jason or Paul. Paul vs Cody would certainly be poetic.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

code:
i am happy
i am satisfied

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK Cody at least earned that victory

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stupid Cameron! Blowing a 7-4 lead! Never believe in the over thinking nerd who sounds overly confident about his strategy! When will I learn?!

This would be funnier if whoever the HGs chose had to fight for survival too. I mean, super hosed up for the HG but that's Big Brother.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hey guys.

Mark's pissed off.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Hey guys.

Mark's pissed off.
He cries if he's pissed, sad, or happy.
Tears are Mark's goto trigger for everything.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Jesus these people are loving idiots...
Paul is gonna make a deal with Cody at the challenge.

Or maybe not, with everyone out there to watch the comp.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Robnoxious posted:

He cries if he's pissed, sad, or happy.
Tears are Mark's goto trigger for everything.

Mark has three states of being. Sad, mad, and horny.

Run if you ever see horny.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Having him able to do the maze again is just lazy production to get it done in one night.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Of course!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eltoasto posted:

Having him able to do the maze again is just lazy production to get it done in one night.

Yeah, a little but he had to win three comps so it's tough to call it unfair or anything.

Stupid Cody being a stupid comp beast.

Stupid feeds being off so we miss all the immediate fallout of Cody's return.

Somewhere right now in the BB House Mark is very, very pissed. Or sad. Or possibly horny.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

He had to finish in the top half in one comp, win a 50/50, and then repeat a comp. Thankfully for him, he went against losers for all but the repeat one. I'll take it to the spoiler thread, but we are very close to the season being unwatchable.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The best move no matter who gets HOH is to kill Christmas in July.
With the Halt Hex, Jessica and Cody get a free pass for 3 weeks.

That is unless Jessica tells Cody about it (and she will) and he spills the beans (and he will).

Might as well gun for floaters like Raven and Matt. Bouncing Christmas just gets the gimp out that IMHO opinion shouldn't even still be in the game with the amount of days out of the house she has had.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Robnoxious posted:

The best move no matter who gets HOH is to kill Christmas in July.
With the Halt Hex, Jessica and Cody get a free pass for 3 weeks.

No, she's only allowed to use it once.

Eb
May 6, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

He had to finish in the top half in one comp, win a 50/50, and then repeat a comp. Thankfully for him, he went against losers for all but the repeat one. I'll take it to the spoiler thread, but we are very close to the season being unwatchable.

No we're not. Are you just really into watching the boringest possible season?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Eb posted:

No we're not. Are you just really into watching the boringest possible season?

The boringest season would be Paul and Cody aligning to take out the rest of the house, and that is very much on the table. Paul and Cody going to war would be great, but that's not guaranteed.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Are BB contestants coached in using the Big Brother idioms? I don't think I've ever met a person in real life who says things like "thrown under the bus", but with these people, its, like, every person, every episode...

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Bucswabe posted:

Are BB contestants coached in using the Big Brother idioms? I don't think I've ever met a person in real life who says things like "thrown under the bus", but with these people, its, like, every person, every episode...
Is this a serious post? This is a pretty common phrase.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its a common phrase. And its the best way I'd quickly describe something like what Cody did to Mark and Dom. Or what Paul did to Dom and Dom did to Elena.

And the way BB (and really any group of people exposed to each other for a long time) works is that there's always a bunch of phrases and words that a couple of people use a lot and it just catches on and becomes something everyone says.

Eb
May 6, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

The boringest season would be Paul and Cody aligning to take out the rest of the house, and that is very much on the table. Paul and Cody going to war would be great, but that's not guaranteed.

I think both those scenarios would be pretty compelling, I can't see them working together for long though without turning on each other. What I find most likely is Cody being thrown right back out again the week after Jessica uses her superpower.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Multiple people have used the eggcorn "disingenuine" this season. It's clear that they acquire a shared vocabulary from each other over the course of the summer.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I suppose the super fans bring in the common lingo, and everyone else quickly adopts it.

It's making me wonder whether some of the show staples came from HGs or production itself. Was "the (choping) block" something that originally came from Julie?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chopping block is another super common term. But eventually stuff just enters the BB lexicon.

Like, for years when HGs referred to the possibility of someone returning they called it a "buyback." I have no idea the origin of it since BB's never called it that that I can remember, but even this season people use it. Its a term that's all over BB fandom and all it takes is one HG bringing it into the house and it catches on as the easy way to explain the thing they're talking about.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Is it backdoor Paul week, you think?

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
e: I need to just remove this thread from my bookmarks because I always think I am the feeds thread

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
This season has been fun, so far. Cody is a great villain, and may be my least favourite houseguest since Frankie. It is somewhat funny, because both Cody and Dom are correct in their evaluation of Paul, but no one seems to see it that way yet. Did anyone in the house watch last season?

I am worried about Josh going forward, because he is way too immature and emotional. Like, if he ever goes on the block, I am not looking forward to the episodes of him yelling at everyone. It is sort of funny to watch him try and mouth off, and he just comes up with the lamest insults.

Kevin has the potential to become an all-time great HG.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problems with Cody and Dom calling out Paul being a snake are:

A) He IS a snake but he hasn't done anything overtly snakey yet and Cody and Dom were both more obvious snakes than him and weren't able to see it while the rest of the house could.

B) Paul was safe. There's no logic in going after someone who is safe. Cody can get a bit of a pass for that but he didn't catch on and Dom should have been smarter.

C) It doesn't matter if someone is a snake if the house just plain likes him. Paul's a snake but he's also the guy who charmed his way from the bottom of BB18 to the top. You can't take on everyone.

Cody and Dom (and throw in Jess for measure) just had to take a more nuanced approach and they simply don't have the game or the self awareness and humility to do that.

The biggest asset in Big Brother is being able to see things from someone else's perspective and sell an idea to them that makes sense from where they're standing, not yours. Paul knows how to do that. Cody, Dom, and Jess don't. Everything is from their perspective and that's the easiest way to lose people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Faustian Bargain posted:

Is this a serious post? This is a pretty common phrase.

Agree that it is a common phrase, but I promise you DRs are 100% coached based on how I've seen pretty much every remotely similar thing work. Like, I don't mean they force them to say things they don't want to, I mean they will actually ask them to rephrase their answers a specific way for the sake of making editing easier. There is a reason many HGs speak totally different in their DRs compared to in the house or in their exit interviews.

From my own experience, most people are pretty bad at giving answers to questions that work well for editing, so it is not uncommon to have to ask for them to repeat an answer more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

This is common in documentaries as well. Generally the first answer is also full of pauses and ums and ahs. You will generally have people answer two or three times before you're good.

• Locked thread