Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
I favor the HT-2200, Wayfarer-Class Medium Transport, and the YT-2400.

The first two are obvious choices because of their armor and towing capacity, as well as spacious deck layouts. Right now I'm interested in something that can maneuver in case of imperial entanglements, so speed and handling are important- especially if we don't have a starfighter to pilot alongside us to handle other maneuverable starfighters.

The YT-2400 is actually my main pick for the moment. Other than not having private rooms I think this ship has the most going for it right now. Since this is the first ship that'll be "ours" I don't think we'll probably just upgrade at some point. I imagine we'll have two ships- one hauling and living in and one that can keep up in a dogfight. This one seems like the latter. Just sucks about the no privacy, but what do you expect? We're in the army now.

But honestly I'll be happy with whatever we get. Zep has a pretty good piloting check so handling shouldn't be too much of an issue.

For Zep to be really effective, though, we're going to need to get him a starfighter. If we get him a starfighter, it doesn't matter as much about the speed or handling of the freighter. He always wanted a Delta-7 Interceptor when he was an apprentice.

EDIT:
I overlooked the captain's quarters in the YT-2400. We could swap the bed out for another bunk and have that be the room for the women and use the other room for the men. I know we're all egalitarian in the distant past, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to not have a co-ed dorm situation.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just to be different: 1) Starwind, 2) Gozanti, 3) Wayfarer

I still like the Starwind. May not be a looker but true beauty comes from the inside.

Good speed and hyperdrive and defenses, two full arc gun mounts that could be upgraded, private quarters, a theater, a nicely laid out cargo bay, big dining room that could be used as an excellent conference room. Couple of hardpoints if we need to upgrade something.

Below average HT/SS are the main drawbacks.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starwind-class_pleasure_yacht

Azhais fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 5, 2017

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Here's my ship vote:

1: YT-2400 Light Freighter
2: YV-929 Armed Freighter
3: YZ-775 medium transport

I love the Art Deco look of the YT 2400 the mostest. The big guns of the YV are great. And the YZ wins third place for aesthetics, despite being symmetrical.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dem "Imp" Iona XP Spend: 10XP into one rank in Ranged - Light, 5XP into a rank of Nobody's Fool. Voting for the Wayfarer, the YV-929, and the YZ-775
Short post because some beers came up. Don't want to half-rear end the team thoughts, so I hope to sub them in tomorrow, Dem is absolutely thinking about the rest, both individually, and as a whole.

The initial bliss of success didn't take long to wear off of Dem, worry already coming to her before the day was over. But she persevered, managing to get at least a good night's sleep, giving her a bit of a clear head as she saw to her business, as it were. The meeting with Captain Komo did most of the rest. She hid nothing from the superior officer, seeking the older woman's advice, and even guidance after seeing how even Terri could lead a cell and help the Alliance meaningfully. It helped, giving the young woman a stepping stone onto further improvement. But to improve, she had to get through another doubt, the one she'd had when she raised the blaster on that inspector. Raised, but didn't fire. For that, the range was the place, visualizing and steeling her guts, making sure it wouldn't happen again.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

code:
Session 1 XP Gain                     [+10]
Coercion 2 (Skill)                   [-10]
Session 2 XP Gain                     [+10]
Persuasion 1 (Skill)                 [-10]
Session 3 XP Gain                     [+10]
Cool 1 (Skill)                             [-10]
Session 4 XP Gain                     [+15]

15 xp unspent

quote:

Dear Mom,

Sorry I took so long to write! I’ve been real busy with my new job. I’ll tell you about that in just a sec, but first, how are the little ones? They must be near six or seven galactic! I hope they’re getting ready for their first hunts. I know little Crakk loved that spear I got him for the Wasskah eclipse, and I know for sure that Trakk is going to live up to his name. Hopefully Wrakk is settling in at school - those first few months were rough! If he’s having problems with bullies again, let me know and I’ll write him a letter to cheer him up.

Back to that job. You’ll never guess what I’m doing now! That’s right! I’m a Bounty Hunter! Just like you always wanted! You’ve been bugging me about being a big strong bounty hunter like Bossk for years, and I’ve finally caved. I’ve got a fancy bounty hunting crew and everything! I know you’re curious, so I’ll walk you through them. No names though! They’d be real pissed if they knew I spilled their IDs. Its okay though, they’re all kind of boring normal galactic names. Nothing strong and cool like Hrakk!

- First up, our bossman. He’s a human - I know - and kind of a suck up. Ex-imp, but he’s got that guilty-conscience thing. I wouldn’t trust him to lead a real Hunt, but he’s got his heart in the right place. With a little nudging, he might just have the potential to make us a bunch of credits!
- The slicer - also human - she’s a tiny one, but she handles all the widgety fiddly nobs and doesn’t complain. I like her style! I’m going to show her how to use that vibroknife you got me on my coming of age Hunt. With a little luck, she might survive to next year.
- Next up is our pilot. A human, big surprise. He’s a hefty hunter if you know what I’m saying haha. Real giving type though, always makes sure everyone else gets a cool one before him! He’s kinda spacey, but I’m going to start trying to spook him when he zones out to keep him on task. Thankfully, when he’s behind the stick he stays on focus.
- Then there’s our gabber. ANOTHER HUMAN. She’s kind of stuck up, definitely Inner Rim type childhood. Silver spoon or not, she’s good at chattin’ when we got a plan. I’m gonna ask her about some tips on how to talk to females! I know you want me to settle down, and I promise to ask out the first strong Trandoshan woman I see!
-Finally our gunman. He’s a Gank. The kind you only ever read about on the Holonet! He’s the only other non-human and frankly, the only one I trust in a scrap. Got that cliche silent Gank thing going. He probably just prefers working on his own, no partners. I can tell he’s got a real killer instinct. I’m going to try and make him my besty!

Alright, I’ve got to go, we’re going to play some sabacc. I’ve attached all the credits from our last job. I know its not much, but our bounty was really small. I’m sure our next catch will be worth a lot more! Write as soon as you can.

Best,
Your itty-bitty-hunty-Hrakky

p.s xo
p.p.s I love you!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
code:
Session XP: 15

Stalker          [ -5]
Disorient        [-10]
e: swapped prime positions for disorient with this week's xp

Azhais fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Session 5 Recap

:siren: 15xp around, since you all are getting into the roleplay aspect of things much more. On top of that, duty will now be individually tracked, and everyone is going to be at +5 duty for this session.

This week, you:

• Got acquainted with your new ship, the Wayfarer-class medium freighter Sunrise. She's an ugly chode of a ship, but she's solid. The only quirk she has is that she has substandard weapons mounts (all shipboard weapons are Inferior and have 1 Threat when used).
  • After getting to know your ship a bit and getting a little bit of breaking-in roleplay, the party made its way to the near-dead planet of Thanium.
  • Surveys with passive and active scanners from above detected the presence of some buildings constructed in the mountains just east of the abandoned megalopolis of Thanium Prime. Unfortunately the crew was unable to find a proper area to land their much larger ship.
  • The crew set the Sunrise down in the city's ruined spaceport and did a little recon. There was another ship docked at the starport, but there was no sign of life anywhere (both on sensors and through the Force).
  • Gunnis, Alis, Gank, Hrakk, and Imp found a couple of newer droids guarding a modern computer mainframe room amidst the quiet and dead spaceport. The droids were dealt with via Gunnis's commanding presence.
  • Investigation into the mainframe (and the surrounding garbage cans) led to the crew discovering a timetable that appeared to be slaved to the droid brain aboard a ship. The timetable seemed to be controlling the comings and goings of a ship to and from the spaceport. After an initial glitch that sent the timetable haywire, Alis was able to restore it to its original state, as well as erase any trace of having sliced into the mainframe in the first place. The crew also discovered that this little operation seems to have started around 3 weeks ago.
  • Zep stayed behind on the ship to hold down the fort and keep watch. During this time he experimented with dabbling into the force, and was met with a powerful vision giving him a very vague notion of the lifelessness of the city, and an ominous feeling of void was embodied as a massive citadel to the east. As he came out of his vision, a starship took off from the spaceport, and he was able to sort-of identify it as a Corellian light freighter of some type. It moved slowly toward the east.
  • Hrakk and Alis fumbled with a chest inside the mainframe room and failed to get it open with both cunning brutality and brutal cunning. In the end, Gunnis took a laser torch to the drat thing before the party screenwiped back to the ship. Inside, the group found the following: 5 unused ration packs, 2 canteens filled with water, a collapsible tent, climbing gear, and two glowrods.
  • The party regrouped at the ship to swap information, then made their way to the docking bay that the other ship departed from. There, they found only some cargo containers (most empty, some with foodstuffs in -- most were local foodstuffs that were withered and somewhat weak-looking, but there was some stuff from offworld).

We forgot to do the laser torch scene in-game, so after mentioning it in Discord, I just listed the loot here.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Alis Varuna
Private

Contribution Rank: 1
Duty (Counter Intelligence): 5

Alis knows that the survival of the Alliance depends upon its ability to hide from the Empire and avoid complete destruction at the hands of its overwhelming military superiority. To this end, she wants to hunt down and eliminate enemy agents and threats, feed false information to Imperial intelligence networks, and cover the movements of all Alliance assets from observation and reporting.

XP expenditure:

code:
Session 1 XP Gain                    [+10]
Skulduggery (Skill)                  [ -5]
Codebreaker (Slicer)                 [ -5]
Session 2 XP Gain                    [+10]
Toughened (Emergent)                 [-10]
Session 3 XP Gain                    [+10]
Indistinguishable (Emergent)         [ -5]
Session 4 XP Gain                    [+15]
Defensive Slicing (Slicer)           [-10]
Sleight of Mind (Emergent)           [-10]
Session 5 XP Gain                    [+15]
Grit (Emergent)                      [-15]

Killbot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 9, 2017

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Gunnis Bishop
Chief Petty Officer

Duty (Resource Acquisition): 5
Duty (Space Superiority): 0

Gunnis believes that the Rebellion will never succeed without capital ships, fleet technologies, and the equipment and personnel necessary to make them work. He thinks that he can identify and arrange for the theft of assets that the Rebellion can claim for use. He also believes with more experience he can design and arrange for construction of ships that will aid the cause.

Total XP: 175
Available XP: 20

XP Log

code:
Perception 1 (Skill)                  [-5]
Rapid Reaction Talent (Commodore)     [-5]
Command Talent (Commodore)            [-5]
Discipline 1 (Skill)                  [-5]
Leadership 2 (Skill)                  [-10]
Known Schematic                       [-10]
Session 5 XP Gain                     [+15]
Character Sheet

Commodore Talent Tree / Mechanic Talent Tree

Character Dossier

Character Background

---

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Zep Rowsdower
Corporal

Duty (Space Superiority): 5

code:
Session 5 XP Gain		+15xp
Talent- Touch of Fate	 	-15xp
Unspent				0xp
Updated Character Sheet

With the quasi-dead city sprawling out around him, Zep was at least feeling a sense of tranquility. No curious fringers. No hassling security guards. And no chance of being ambushed by an Inquisitor. The big man took a deep breath of relief for the first time in the nearly two decades he's been running.

His mind connected to the Force as if he'd just left the temple on Coruscant. As his mind quieted, he could hear the sounds that had been playing in a constant loop for 18 years but only drowned out with the hum of an engine, the sounds of jizz, or with the aid of alcohol. The screams of his friends dying as Order 66 was initiated snapped him back to the moment. "No..." He said, returning to his meditation. "...I'll find tranquility in the Force." He focused, using the meditation practices taught to him by Instructor Baytes Algam. As the screams of dying children slowly faded from his ears, Zep Rowsdower defeated the memories with something other than a bottle.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 10, 2017

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

code:
Agitator Specialization               [-30]
Deception 1 (Skill)                    [-5]
Cool 1 (Skill)                        [-10]
Streetwise 1 (Skill)                  [-5]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
code:
Session 6 XP Gain               [+15]
Grit 2                          [-15]

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

code:
Session 6 XP Gain                     [+15]
Streetwise 2 (Skill)                   [-10]
Knowledge (Underground)(Skill)        [-5]

0XP Remaining
Duty 10

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 16, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

code:
Session 6 Gain:			[+15xp]
1 Rank in Mechanics (Skill):	[- 5xp]
Banked XP:			[+10xp]
Tearing apart that old El Spacecamino gave Zep some valuable insight about the way complex machinery works. He'd monkeyed around with past freighters but usually nothing more than pouring Corellian Ale on an overheated engine or doing a routine space-oil change every parsec or so. This time it just... clicks, and he feels a little more comfortable under the hood.

He's also not sure what to make of the hobo city he and his crew found in the mountain facility. The man he was speaking with seemed to be familiar with his Jedi influencing technique. Fortunately, the response was a positive one. He wasn't thrilled about the idea of murdering a bunch of poor uncivilized wretches.

Expenditure was fixed. I'm very used to spending ALL my xp.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 16, 2017

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Gunnis Bishop
Chief Petty Officer

Duty (Resource Acquisition): 10

Gunnis believes that the Rebellion will never succeed without capital ships, fleet technologies, and the equipment and personnel necessary to make them work. He thinks that he can identify and arrange for the theft of assets that the Rebellion can claim for use. He also believes with more experience he can design and arrange for construction of ships that will aid the cause.

Total XP: 190
Available XP: 0

XP Log

code:
Session 1 XP Gain                          [+10]
Perception 1 (Skill)                       [-5]
Rapid Reaction Talent (Commodore)          [-5]
Session 2 XP Gain                          [+10]
Command Talent (Commodore)                 [-5]
Session 3 XP Gain                          [+10]
Discipline 1 (Skill)                       [-5]
Leadership 2 (Skill)                       [-10]
Session 4 XP Gain                          [+15]
Known Schematic Talent (Commodore)         [-10]
Session 5 XP Gain                          [+15]
Session 6 XP Gain		           [+15]
Commander - Tactician Specialization       [-30]
Commanding Presence Talent (Tactician)     [-5]
Character Sheet

Commodore Talent Tree / Mechanic Talent Tree / Tactician Talent Tree

Character Dossier

Character Background

---

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 16, 2017

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Alis Varuna
Senior Trooper

Duty (Counter Intelligence): 10

Alis knows that the survival of the Alliance depends upon its ability to hide from the Empire and avoid complete destruction at the hands of its overwhelming military superiority. To this end, she wants to hunt down and eliminate enemy agents and threats, feed false information to Imperial intelligence networks, and cover the movements of all Alliance assets from observation and reporting.

XP expenditure:

code:
Session 6 XP Gain                    [+15]
Computers 3 (Skill)                  [-15]

Killbot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 25, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh hey y'all, I just now realized that I didn't do a recap of last week as usual. Worst GM! Sad!

Belated Session 6 Recap

Last week, you:
  • Split up into a couple different groups to explore the area immediately surrounding the starport of Thanium Prime (the big-rear end megalopolis on the planet Thanium).
  • Zep, Alis, and Dem went scrounging in the starport's parking garage (you guys have a thing for parking garages) to try to find some workable technology. After checking out a bunch of rusted old metal heaps thousands of years old, you found one that looked like it might be servicable with a little elbow grease. Dem found some replacement parts from another wrecked car, and technobabbled her way into making it seem like she knew that those parts were totally workable, mmhmm.
  • Hrakk and Gank went off to scout out the central park area, just a few blocks from the starport in the city's government district. They checked out the lobby area of the planet's treasury building, which had several makeshift barricades erected within it relatively recently. Behind one of the barricades they found the still-fresh bodies of six people, wearing corporate uniforms and carrying corporate ID's. Their light blaster pistols were scattered about, all with dead power packs. The duo pocketed the corporate ID cards, and Gank squirrelled away the light blaster pistols for later use.
  • Leaving the treasury and going into the park, Hrakk and Gank found a pavilion/gazebo thing at the center, with a subway station alongside it. A long streak of dried blood was seen on the stairs leading into the station, continuing through it until reaching the platform. The blood streak seemed to have boarded one of the city's apparently-still-active subway trains at some point -- one of which screeched by as Hrakk and Gank investigated the station. The train was completely empty.
  • Gunnis turned in a different direction out of the starport and found a massive crashed freighter off to one side. The freighter was capsized, but structurally stable. He was able to ascertain that it originated during the time of the Sith Wars. Further exploration of the ship was hindered when Gunnis opened the doors that lead to engineering, resulting in a radiation breach. He was able to make it out only lightly singed, and before quitting the ship, he left behind some makeshift proximity sensors to alert him if anyone entered. The lifespan of these sensors is limited.
  • Gunnis was called back to the parking garage and was able to bring the old car relic back to life.
  • The automated light freighter (a YT-2000) returned to its landing bay right on schedule, and the party was there to wait for it. The boarding ramp extended, but nothing came out. Exploration of the ship revealed it to be completely empty, with the ship's computer jury-rigged directly into the navigation console. You loaded the repaired speeder into the ship's cargo bay, and let the automated flight start off.
  • The ship's flight path took you eastward, to where the edge of the city meets up with the mountain chain's sheer face. The ship lead you into a darkened landing bay, where you noticed a few other modern ships docked (some TIE Shuttles, a couple generic no-name ship types). Ship's sensors registered no signs of life, but they were also unable to penetrate very far into the mountain, due to its mineral composition.
  • Upon exiting the ship, you saw in one corner of the docking bay signs of life: a group of humanoids huddled around a campfire, beside a makeshift encampment. Zep approached diplomatically, and the de facto leader of the humanoid group approached as well, after some hushed conversation with his buddies in a weird creole of Basic. After Zep makes his peaceful intentions clear, the other man trembles and falls to his knees sobbing, gasping out his thanks that rescue is finally here.

Pretty sure I didn't forget anything, but lemme know if you noted something that I've forgotten to include here.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Drone,

You forgot like 9 or 10 fat jokes at Zep's expense.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FuriousAngle posted:

Drone,

You forgot like 9 or 10 fat jokes at Zep's expense.

I still maintain that the one about Dem was more about Dem being in general small in stature, rather than one at Zep's expense.

Speaking of Dem, I had 30 XP to spend, 10 of which went to a rank in Grit (+1 strain threshold), and 15 went to Inspiring Rhetoric (lets me make a Leadership check to let allies recover strain). 5 are in the bank.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Gunnis Bishop
Chief Petty Officer

Duty (Resource Acquisition): 15

Total XP: 205

XP Log

code:
Confidence Talent (Tactician)              [-10]
Ranged [Heavy] 1 (Skill)                   [-5]
Character Sheet

Character Dossier

Character Background

---

Gunnis picked up a large stone on the toe of his boot, studying it for a moment as he paused to catch his breath, and then slung it into the distance where it clattered off other stones.

He knew Zep didn't understand. Who knows what he had seen at his age. Maybe that's why he struggled with a bottle, he thought. The others probably didn't either.

With a smooth motion he pulled the shovel out of the dirt and looked over the other graves. He had already worked up a sweat, even in the relative cool of the shadow of the formerly Imperial mountain stronghold. Was this honest sweat? Was this a man's work? He had shot that woman, the leader. He saw the despair in her eyes after the bolt burned into her body. He watched while she slipped away afterwards.

"She was a slaver!" that inner voice said harshly, "All of them were! They deserved worse than being shot!"

It was his father's voice again. He shook his head as if to clear it away. It was always his mother's face that he saw when he dreamed, but he was having a harder time bringing her voice back. How funny it would be for her to know that her son, who had never been close to her, only now knew her love and remembered what she had taught him.

"All men have mothers. All men have dreams. If you don't dig a grave for their bodies, the next shovel of dirt may as well be to start one for your soul."

There was her voice. He had never thought it beautiful when he was younger.

But then again, he never really listened.

They didn't all understand. They all were here for their own reasons. Revenge, uncertainty, hatred of the Empire.

He paused, thinking of Hrakk, causing a mad grin to break the tension for a moment.

Whether they understood or not, they would be his burdens to carry.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 6, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Corporal Zep Rowsdower
Failed Jedi in Hiding (Ace Pilot/Temporary Murderhobo)

code:
Banked XP:			[10]
Session 7 Gain:			[+15xp]
Street Smarts (Talent):		[-20xp]
Banked XP:			[+5xp]

Duty Gain:			[+5]
Current Duty:			15 (Space Superiority)

Morality Gain: 			[+7]
Current Morality:		62

"No, we bury the dead."

Zep's face flushed crimson at the rebuke. He tried to remind himself that the others might not have had the same experiences as he did. He'd had a few close calls with slavers, and in his travels he'd found out what they were capable of. Furthermore, he could FEEL the fear and pain of the unfortunates down in their crude shantytown, a living testament to the cruelty of these savages. They'd been given a quick death, which was likely more than they deserved. Now that they had become one with the Force they were just meat. Throwing them out the window- that was just being efficient with time.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Gunnis was the leader on this mission and he'd been taught not to question a mission leader's commands unless absolutely necessary. He focused, quickly centering himself. It came to him that his decision had come out of hatred. Hatred was born of anger. Anger was born of fear. What was he afraid of? He realized that his fear had come from the idea in the back of his mind that had he been captured by slavers while he was on the run from the Clone Troopers after Order 66... he could have ended up like those unfortunates in their crude hangar shantytown.

It was something he'd been carrying with him a long time. Now that he was focused again he could put that fear behind him. He would try not to hold it against the others if they wanted to take the time to bury scum like slavers. But he wasn't about to waste any sweat digging holes for them.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

The Sunrise

• 1. Gunnis' room.
  • Sparsely furnished with no decorations, the room has dark blue carpet that looks fairly old, the same standard full size bed that all rooms on the ship seem to have. A large durasteel cabinet is against one wall at the foot of the bed, empty but for a few pieces of clothing. A battered brown cloth upholstered armchair is in the other corner, patched multiple times over probably long years of service.
  • 2. Gunnis' office.
  • A pair of simple metal framed chairs sit in front of a round cornered desk and an accompanying desk chair behind it, a single datapad sitting on it, and a terminal which is inactive and dark. Along the wall are two tall chests of drawers, very similar to the ones in most of the rest of the cabin rooms, but filled with data files or empty for future use.
  • 3. Barracks room.
  • Three columns of bunk beds, small but functional and stacked three high, dominate most of the room. There is also a bank of lockers, running close to the ceiling in a 3x3 formation. The room is disused and has a light layer of dust over everything.
  • 4. Conference room.
  • A long and heavy older model holotable dominates the room, with six chairs around the table, and one at the head with a small terminal for controlling the holotable.
  • 5. Lounge
  • A low table sits in one corner, with a pair of short couches and a single chair off to the side. A small shelf sits against the far wall. The opposite corner has a normal size table, surrounded by six battered chairs.
  • 6. Gunnis' Workshop
  • A pair of massive dark red crates, empty and nearly eight foot square line one wall, with a tall durasteel cabinet across the opening next to a smaller gray crate. A long workbench is up against the right wall, covered in hand tools and small bits of electronics and mechanical parts. The far wall has a larger and heavier workbench with a pair of portable power cells and a large fabrication/machining matrix dominating the right side of the table. Most of the storage is empty, though the empty floor is interrupted by a red upholstered rolling seat.
  • 7. Primary Enclosed Cargo Hold
  • A large open space, enclosed behind the tall cargo doors, with a few lingering crates (some full of zip disks).
  • 8. Bridge
  • A semi-circle, the curved wall-cum-ceiling being covered in cabling, wiring, and exposed panels other than the broad curving viewports. A variety of stations take up the rest of the space, including a raised platform in the center for a commander, the forward central station for a pilot, several terminals for sensors operations and access to the ships computers, and a gunnery station. A simple holotable for visualization, docking visualization, and advanced system information is also available, a heavy dark hood coming down from the ceiling to make the table operate correctly.The deck is covered in textured synthrubber for grip when walking, and occasionally a cable under a synthrubber runner snakes across it, part of old temporary repairs that were never corrected.
  • 9. Zep's room.
  • Zep's room is still spartan. Along with his well-used Bowcaster-flex there is a modest bunk which is neatly made and a small locker that he keeps his clothing and any gear he's not using. There is also a small workstation that consists of a desk, a stool, and several boxes containing scrap metal and circuitry. The chassis of a FitBot 3.0 sits, halfway completed, on the workbench, along with a few basic tools.

On one of the walls, the only form of decoration is a lone poster of Zep's favorite Progressive Jizz band- Bachman Turner Hyperdrive.
  • 10. An empty room.
  • This room contains the bare necessities of a cabin room and a bit of dust.
  • 11. An empty room.
  • This room contains the bare necessities of a cabin room and a bit of dust.
  • 12. The Refresher
  • Seriously I am not going to describe space toilets to you.
  • 13. Airlock/Docking Port
  • 14. Medbay
  • Several medical beds, including a surgical bed, are the bulk of the floorspace in this room. The deck is covered with some kind of new-ish sterile tiling. A cabinet is half full with the bare minimum of medical supplies, and two tanks clearly intended for bacta are stood in one corner, drained and empty for the time being.
  • 15. :regd11:
  • Wouldn't you like to know ;)
  • 16. Engineering Bay/Engineroom
  • 17. Alis' room
  • This spacious room has a broad view with three tall viewports. A large protruding bulkhead has had a small ladder welded onto the side, and a standard full bed, seemingly taken from storage, has been secured to the top, about eight feet up into the fourteen foot tall room. On the floor in front of the ladder is a rare hand woven Alderaanean rug, a dense maze of colors and soft nerf fibers. Across from the door and against the base of the viewports is a large and solid workbench with a few pieces of electronics and a laser soldering iron sitting as if work was just interrupted. To the other side of the door is a large terminal and accompanying desk chair, looking for all the world like a generic terminal begging to be customized by its owner.
  • 18. Dem's room
  • A standard full bed up against the wall dominates the room, with a tall chest of drawers up against the wall next to the door. The floor space is empty. Standing out a bit more from other cabin rooms, this one seems to be cleaned with immaculate military precision.
  • 19. Gank's room.
  • A standard full bed up against the wall is most of the room, with a tall chest of drawers up against the wall next to the door. Against the other wall is a small metal stand supporting an aquarium and the associated biofilter. Inside the aquarium, so far devoid of decoration, a single solitary goldie with bright blue scales floating around the tank in lazy circles.
  • 20. Hrakk's room.
  • A standard full bed up against the wall dominates the room, with a tall chest of drawers up against the wall next to the door. The top of the chest of drawers has a small unusual shrub of foilage in a pot, growing from a small clipping. The floor already seems to have a few pieces of clothing and a discarded power pack lying about.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 18, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Session 7 Recap
+15 XP
+5 Duty

Yesterday, you all:
  • Spoke for the first time with the de facto "leader" of the slaves, a gaunt man in a ruined corporate jumpsuit. His spirits were broken, but reassurance from the crew gave him home (and a comlink). He gave you a rough history of the base: the corporations tasked with building the base pulled out suddenly, but the Overseer and a skeleton crew volunteered to stay behind to continue the work. The Overseer set up the automated food freighter to keep the base supplied with food provided by agreement with the local farmers. Shortly thereafter, he disappeared, and the Slavers showed up to fill the power vacuum.
  • The remaining workers, along with some farmers that had been captured since then, were enslaved by an unknown pair of slavers and their lackeys. They are tasked with continuing excavations into the mountain, to expand this base for whatever purpose the slavers seem to have in mind. The leader doesn't know what they have planned or why they must dig away.
  • A group of slavers had just left the base on one of their regular assignments not too long before the party arrived. The leader of the slaves doesn't know exactly how many slavers there are in total, but he surmises somewhere between 1 and 2 dozen. The slaves outnumber the slavers, roughly twice their number, and at any given time there are some working in the mines under some kind of supervision.
  • The slaves all wear painful-looking makeshift implants in their sternum, preventing them from leaving the premises of the base. One foot outside and boom.
  • Resolved to put right what once went wrong, the team leaves the slaves and makes their way for the base's Command & Control center located farther up the mountain, where the slavers had apparently been camping out. The blast door leading into the C&C center grinds open slowly, ruining any element of surprise you may have had, and a firefight with some very surprised-but-determined group of slavers ensues. An early attempt by Dem at coercing the slavers into throwing down their guns fails. Hrakk and Zep take the lion's share of the damage from the motley group of pirates, but the party mercilessly guns down the slavers, including their leader (a woman wielding a stun pistol). Total loot from the fight: 4 blaster pistols, 4 truncheons, 1 battered stun pistol, and 4 ration packs. Searching the area of the C&C (including the quarters of some of the other slavers) yields an additional 10 ration packs, a good start at rehabilitating the malnourished slaves.
  • You killed 7 in the room, and based on feedback from the slave leader, there are maybe another 17 left (assuming his guess of 2 dozen was accurate).
  • Alis manages to slice into the base's computer system and download logs to help clarify the history of the base: a consortium of Imperial-aligned corporations began excavating the base in a subcontracting deal with the Empire. The base, as yet unnamed in the logs, was meant to be a low-level production facility for small spacecraft, utilizing raw minerals from within Thanium's massive mountain ranges for construction of TIE Shuttles, and possibly other designs. For one reason or another, the corporate higher-ups decided to abandon the project (lack of resources in the mines? political issues? loss of profit?). The local Overseer for the construction, a human male who seems to have been well-liked by his employees judging by feedback from the slave leader, managed to pull some strings with the corporations and secure a deal: he would retain a skeleton crew on-base and would attempt to finish the project autonomously. He seemed to believe in the usefulness of the project and wanted to see it out. The corporate leaders reluctantly agreed, and the vast majority of the construction crews pulled out, leaving the Overseer behind with a handful of his most loyal workers. Not long after, the project ran into supply issues, and the Overseer arranged a deal for acquiring food from the native farmers on Thanium, and set up an automated freighter run to bring those supplies to the base. Shortly after this, the Overseer disappeared under unknown circumstances, and was quickly replaced by the group of slavers.
  • Alis also manages to get a better picture of the condition of the base. External proximity sensors are online, but the base seems to have a serious problem with its reactor, as power fluctuates wildly throughout. The base's comm tower is located farther up the mountain summit and is only controlled remotely from the C&C area -- it seems functional, but there is no way to deactivate it from here.
  • Zep really wants to throw bodies out the window, but gets firm resistance to the idea from the rest of the party.
  • The group splits up, with Hrakk and Gank investigating the floor immediately below the C&C center. They find an area that is mostly empty and still under-construction, though it seems some slavers decided to claim some rooms for themselves. Gank counts 18 sleeping bags scattered throughout various rooms on the floor.
  • Meanwhile, the rest of the group heads down the turbolift to meet with the slaves again. The leader is extremely relieved to see the group again, and likewise has his spirits boosted when you tell him of your deeds above. Gunnis pulls the leader aside and gives him The Talk, and convinces the slave leader and his people to stay on and work for the Alliance. The leader is initially skeptical, but doesn't seem to harbor any ideological loyalty to the Empire. He agrees, on the condition that employment contracts for himself and his workers are negotiated within the next 2-3 months. Gunnis also offers safe transport for those who don't wish to say, on the caveat that the farmers be told that this base will be destroyed rather than reclaimed.

Pretty sure I didn't forget anything, but ping me if I did. You also found out that the three TIE Shuttles currently docked in the bay were prototype test runs from the base, but there's no indication in the base computer about whether or not they are operational.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dem had 5 XP in the bank, and with the +15 from last session, got a rank in Intense Presence (20XP)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

code:
Session 7 XP Gain                     [+15]
Melee 2 (Skill)                          [-10]
Feral Strength (Talent)              [-5]

0XP Remaining
Duty 15

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Corporal Zep Rowsdower
Failed Jedi in Hiding (Ace Pilot/Badcop)

code:
Banked XP:			[5]
Session 8 Gain:			[+15xp]
Uncanny Reactions (Talent):	[-20xp]
Unspent:			0xp

Duty Gain:			[+5]
Current Duty:			20 (Space Superiority)

Conflict Gain:			+1
Current Morality:		62

Mission Summary- Personal:

Zep took out some of his frustration on the two slavers the other team members took hostage. Knowing that he wouldn't kill them he just used his Force Influence to make one of them feel really bad about himself and threatened to sell the other one into slavery. He did, however, leave a blaster in the hands of the head of the former slaves with the instructions to use the stun setting if either slave ("Bob" or "Jim") got too "uppity". He left the room with the following warning:
"Apparently we bury our dead in this team. If you end up using something other than the stun setting, you'll be doing digging the graves yourselves."

He also partook in another firefight with more slavers, managing to bring a wounded slaver down and clipping another wounded slaver for one of the other team-members to finish off.

There are some mysteries going on that are well beyond him.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Alis Varuna
Senior Trooper

Duty (Counter Intelligence): 20

XP expenditure:

code:
Session 7 XP Gain                    [+15]
Session 8 XP Gain                    [+15]
Touch of Fate (Emergent)             [-20]

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Gunnis Bishop
Chief Petty Officer

Duty (Resource Acquisition): 20

Total XP: 220

XP Log

code:
Session 7 XP Gain                          [+15]
Toughened Talent (Tactician)               [-15]
Character Sheet

Character Dossier

Character Background

---

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 6, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
code:
Session 1 XP               [+10]
Perception                 [ -5]
Grit (Heavy)               [ -5]
Session 2 XP               [+10]
Session 3 XP               [+10]
Session 4 XP               [+15]
Trailblazer Spec           [-20]
Toughened (TB)             [ -5]
Outdoorsman (TB)           [ -5]
Stealth                    [ -5]
Session 5 XP               [+15]
Stalker Talent (TB)        [ -5]
Disorient Talent (TB)      [-10]
Session 6 XP               [+15]
Grit (TB)                  [-15]
Session 7 XP               [+15]
Session 8 XP               [+15]
Dodge Talent (TB)          [-20]
Current XP                 [010]

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Session 8 Recap
+15 xp
+5 duty

Summary may seem a bit all over the place since most of this session happened over a series of scenes taking place roughly simultaneously.

Yesterday, you all:
  • Hrakk and Gank started things off by continuing to scout out some of the other floors of the mysterious mountain base. They discovered the base's cafeteria, which was occupied by three drunken and somewhat raucous slavers. A fight ensued that saw Hrakk killing one of the slavers, while a torrent of stun blaster fire from Gank took two of the slavers out of the action. The duo hogtied them and continued their exploration. They found the base's reactor control room, but the blast door leading to it was covered in some kind of carrion, and they noped out for a bit.
  • Zep and Dem led a group of the slaves up to the relative safety of the now-cleared-out cafeteria. There, they interrogated the stunned and hungover slavers in a pretty convincing Good Cop/Bad Cop routine. They were able to get some useful information out of the slavers: 1.) there are 24 slavers in the group, including ones that you had killed up until now. 2.) the group of slavers is led by a husband-and-wife duo, Dreks and Taza. 3.) Taza was the leader of the group up in the control room, until you all killed her. 4.) A small group of slavers recently went out on some kind of mission outside the base. The rest of them are down below in the excavation, accessible via the base's ground floor. 5.) this particular duo are named Bob and Jim, and have the callsigns "Thunder" and "Lightning" respectively. All of the slavers have kickass callsigns, including the leaders of the whole group, who go by Big Daddy and Sweet Mama. 6.) You took their commlinks.
  • Alis continued working on decrypting the hard-copies of the base's communications between the previous Overseer and the Board of Directors of the consortium responsible for building the base. The translation isn't finished, but she was able to determine that there were a string of killings (or murders?) coupled with "profit shortfalls" that ultimately convinced the Board to abandon the project. The Overseer seems to have protested against this decision, and ultimately remained on-base with a skeleton crew to continue the project.
  • Gunnis and Hrakk headed back up to the reactor control room in an attempt to sort out the base's power issues. Upon opening the door to the chamber, they saw that the reactor, floor, and bits of the ceiling were coated with some kind of biomass, the same carrion that seemed to be encrusted to the hallway outside the blast door. Hrakk abruptly threw a fist-sized rock at what appeared to be a nest of some kind on the ceiling, and three totally unidentified creatures sprang forth and attacked them. A row of triumphs-without-success later saw the mynocks defeated, just as one of them was attempting to sucker-munch its way through Hrakk's radiation suit. Gunnis was then able to restore nominal power levels to the base, but noticed that there was some kind of power feed leading down into the excavation below. He rigged up his datapad and comlink to the reactor controls, enabling him to cut power to the base remotely -- or so he thinks.
  • As Gank was standing guard at the turbolift entrance (and while over comms with the party discussing the various happenings), he heard an echo of blaster fire issue from the tunnels leading downward into the mines. The group convened hastily, with Zep leaving the leader of the slaves responsible for protecting the group in the cafeteria and "keeping an eye on" the two stunned slavers. Down in the mines, Hrakk charged headlong into a huge chamber occupied by 8 slavers and 8 slaves, grappling one to the floor and starting a melee. A hail of blaster fire (some more precise than others) and a minor slave insurrection saw the enemy defeated and the slaves retreating to the cafeteria, some leaving behind their badass-looking vibropickaxes (statblock to come later).
  • As we closed out, you noticed that the slaves were attempting to widen a passage, beyond which lay a perfectly smoothened, sculpted hallway leading deeper into the depths. The walls were carved out of the rock directly, and intricate patterns and script were engraved into it. Zep was unable to identify the script, but thought that it was something he should recognize...

Your CR level has also increased with this episode, but we'll likely resolve that at the end of the next episode once you get back in contact with the Alliance. We'll also be changing how we award Duty going forward, now that you've got a couple ranks of CR under your belt.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

code:
Melee 2 (Skill)                          [-10]
Feral Strength (Talent)              [-5]
Intimidating (Talent) Rank 1            [-5]
Intimidating (Talent) Rank 2            [-10]

0XP Remaining
Duty 15

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
code:
Session 1 XP               [+10]
Perception                 [ -5]
Grit (Heavy)               [ -5]
Session 2 XP               [+10]
Session 3 XP               [+10]
Session 4 XP               [+15]
Trailblazer Spec           [-20]
Toughened (TB)             [ -5]
Outdoorsman (TB)           [ -5]
Stealth                    [ -5]
Session 5 XP               [+15]
Stalker Talent (TB)        [ -5]
Disorient Talent (TB)      [-10]
Session 6 XP               [+15]
Grit (TB)                  [-15]
Session 7 XP               [+15]
Session 8 XP               [+15]
Dodge Talent (TB)          [-20]
Session 9 XP               [+15]
Dedication (Cunning)       [-25]
Current XP                 [000]

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Contribution Rank: 2
Duty (Resource Acquisition): 0
Duty (Rebel Base): 5

Total XP: 270
Available XP: 10

XP Log

code:
Session 7 XP Gain                          [+15]
Toughened Talent (Tactician)               [-15]
Session 8 XP Gain                          [+15]
Session 9 XP Gain                          [+15]
Commanding Presence Talent (Tactician)     [-20]
Session 10 XP Gain                         [+15]
Mission 2 XP Bonus                         [+5]
Field Commander Talent (Tactician)         [-20]
Character Sheet

Character Dossier

Character Background

---

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 27, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Corporal (for now) Zep Rowsdower/Tycho Peart

code:
Previous Banked XP:		[0]
Session 9 Gain:			[+15xp]
Banked XP:			+15xp

Duty Gain:			[+?]
Current Duty:			? (Space Superiority)

Morality Gain:              	+1
Current Morality:		63

Zep has some 'splainain' ta do.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Great session after a week off. Almost forgot how much I love this game!

Session 9 Recap

This session, you:
  • Ventured into the heart of darkness sarlacc flatulence chamber mysterious underground structure that you uncovered after freeing the miners. Inside, you found some stuff, alright!
  • First, you found a library/reading room, a large domed room carved into the rock itself. Nearly all of the books were destroyed, either in fire or via thousands of years of decomposition. Zep gingerly (or, not so gingerly) tried to rifle through a few, but they crumbled to dust in his hands / on his protuding belly. Alis took some archival photographs of the books, as well as a large ornate symbol carved into the roof of the reading room - a group of circles within circles.
  • Scouting ahead, Gank and Hrakk encountered a fork in the road, and took the middle path first. They passed through some kind of weird time anomaly, where the passage of time (and Hrakk's upbeat whistling) seemed to slow to a crawl from their own perspective, though according to the rest of the party, there were only gone a few minutes. The effect increased as they approached a massive stone door at the end of the hallway, adorned with clear gemstones. Hrakk pocketed one of the gemstones after prying it from the door, and the two of them moved back to report their findings to the party before checking the other forks.
  • Checking the other forks, Hrakk/Gank (and later joined by Dem) discover the left fork leading to a sleeping chamber for around ~10 people. Sparsely-appointed, the only items of any note were ancient burlap robes made brittle by time, and a leatherbound tome, in better condition than those in the library, hidden under one of the robes in a cubby-hole. They then found a dining area with the remains of a millenia-old liquor still, as well as two items that seemed highly out-of-place: a modern datapad, still active and containing a hand-scribbled map of the mysterious underground structure, and a crumpled up Sienar uniform.
  • While those two scouted out, Zep checked out the door at the end of the middle hallway. He experienced none of the weird time phenomenon, and determined that his physical touch on the gems embedded in the door seemed to activate them. With every gem he touched, they began glowing with a bright white light. He went back to join the main group, and Alis embarked on her own little expedition to the door, in order to take some photos of it for Alliance records.
  • While out the door, Alis reached out and touched the centermost gem on the door, the only one no longer lit. The gem responded by immediately glowing brighter than the rest, and the door slowly creaked open. The rest of the party rushed in, after a garbled commlink message from Alis, to see the room beyond.
  • The massive room beyond was a completely empty, darkened rotunda -- empty save for a mysterious silhouette in the middle, standing beside a stone pedestal.
  • tl;dr the man is Lothor Mallek, the former Overseer of the unnamed mountain base. He seemed to have aged decades in a relatively short period of time, and was gaunt and emaciated, wearing only one of the ancient burlap robes and hobbling along on a cane. He fiddled nervously with an object in his pocket (totally not a fidget spinner).
  • Even more tl;dr, Lothor Mallek has pretty clearly lost his mind just a little bit. He chews on the scenery for a bit, rambling on at the party about things that have been happening in his crazy little world. To sum up the version of events that he told you: he discovered the structure during the construction of the base, and came down alone to "study it". He discovered that, thousands of years ago, it apparently housed a Force-using sect that believed that good and evil were not inherent to the Force, and exist only in the hearts of sentients. The Force, in their view, is merely a tool -- at least, according to Lothor. His version of events may or may not be reliable based on his obvious lunacy at spending so much time alone in the dark with no food. Over his time studying what few texts remained of this mysterious Order, he began to develop his own Force sensitivity, and started seeing the workers in the base as "his people"... eventually extending this to everyone on the entire planet. He sounds pretty tyrannical.
  • After spending several minutes rudely ignoring the non-Force sensitives in the party (concentrating only on Zep and Alis), a heated exchange occurs between Gunnis and Lothor, resulting in Gunnis losing a bit of his cool and shooting at the man out of spite. The shot misses, but a melee ensues, with Lothor Mallek immediately drawing the mysterious fidget object from his pocket: an ancient lightsaber, its blade brilliant silver with a tinge of red near the hilt. Two spiders, giant and grotesque and under Lothor Mallek's control, emerge from the darkened space above the only exit, and immediately began laying into intense combat with Hrakk.
  • In an intense combat encounter, Gunnis managed to disarm Lothor of his lightsaber while Zep deftly and supernaturally dodged Lothor's attack with unexplained grace and speed. Dem kicked the lightsaber away, to be picked up by Alis. After sustaining some hits, Lothor ultimately falls to a stun bolt from Zep's blaster pistol, falling over unconscious.
  • Hrakk's melee with the spiders is even more intense, the brave Trandoshan warrior nearly bested by the two gigantic beasts (down to 1 wound iirc?). His hunting prowess prevailed however, as he single-handedly slayed the fell beasts with his new vibro pickaxe was saved by blaster fire from his teammates.
  • As the adrenaline subsides from the encounter, Alis grasps the lightsaber she picked up -- and has a disturbing and intense vision of Lothor Mallek, seemingly younger but in reality not so, discovering the underground temple and the pedestal at the center of the room. In a time-lapse scene, Alis watched as Lothor spent countless days, weeks, months standing before the pedestal, trying in vain to replicate some sort of ritual from an ancient book. In the vision, Lothor ultimately succumbs to frustration and anger and attempts to destroy the pedestal using the lightsaber he found somewhere in the temple (apparently), but the otherwise humble stone pedestal deflects every blow without but a scratch or scuff.

And some housekeeping stuff:
  • Duty will be tracked individually, and I'll be putting that in a later post in the thread this week. No more set Duty for everyone each session!
  • +15xp for the session
  • Zep got +1 Morality for trying to talk Lothor down by explaining the truth of the Light and Dark side and the immorality of slavery.
  • If Zep and Alis want to roleplay out some Forcey Jedi-ish stuff in the thread between sessions, I'll give them each +1 Morality as a bonus.
  • I'll also post a "complete" inventory of the base sometime this week, giving you all of the info that you know about so far re: its stocks and equipment.
  • You all are now CR 2, so start thinking about what kind of duty rewards you would like once this "mission" ends and you get in contact with the Alliance again. You'll also get promotions at that point, refer to Page 393 of the AoR core rulebook for that, or you can use http://cmelliso.wikidot.com/rebelallianceranksweg as inspiration for a similar but slightly different rank if you want, just run it by me. The range of CR 2 to CR 4 reflects the higher levels of non-commissioned officer, so Sergeant to Master Sergeant for the Army, Petty Officer/Chief Petty Officer for the Navy, etc.
  • Check your spent XP so far -- everyone should have earned 120 XP as of today, total for the whole campaign!

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 20, 2017

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

The Force is strong with this one.

Alis Varuna
Master Sergeant

Contribution Rank: 2
Duty (Counter Intelligence): 0

XP expenditure:

code:
Session 7 XP Gain                    [+15]
Session 8 XP Gain                    [+15]
Touch of Fate (Emergent)             [-20]
Session 9 XP Gain                    [+15]
Force Rating (Emergent)              [-25]

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Drone posted:

After spending several minutes rudely ignoring the non-Force sensitives in the party (concentrating only on Zep and Alis), a heated exchange occurs between Gunnis and Lothor, resulting in Gunnis losing a bit of his cool and shooting at the man out of spite....

Emphasis mine! It wasn't spite!

I'm trying to play Gunnis as usually calm and collected (given all the discipline, leadership, cool, vigilance, and resistance to fear talents he has), and as sort of an example of the "liberal educated elite" or the "educated leader" style character, ala Jed Bartlett/Jean Luc Picard, with a streak of rebellion and the logical approach of an engineer. However, there are some things that make him very angry, even to the point of irration or rash action - one of those is the classical defense of the intellectual avoiding responsibility, or the "evil triumphs when smart men do nothing". So the admission of Lothor that he knew about the slavers killing/taking his men and the villagers and did nothing about it, or the tacit acceptance that their sacrifice was acceptable in his pursuit of knowledge sent him into a towering fury as he remembered things in his Imperial past.

Okay I'm done defending Gunnis shooting an old man now :p

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 21, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Darius099 posted:

I'm trying to play Gunnis as usually calm and collected (given all the discipline, leadership, cool, vigilance, and resistance to fear talents he has), and as sort of an example of the "liberal educated elite" or the "educated leader" style character, ala Jed Bartlett/Jean Luc Picard, with a streak of rebellion and the logical approach of an engineer. However, there are some things that make him very angry, even to the point of irration or rash action - one of those is the classical defense of the intellectual avoiding responsibility, or the "evil triumphs when smart men do nothing". So the admission of Lothor that he knew about the slavers killing/taking his men and the villagers and did nothing about it, or the tacit acceptance that their sacrifice was acceptable in his pursuit of knowledge sent him into a towering fury as he remembered things in his Imperial past.

Y'know in retrospect it had to happen that way. The GM told us he was going to sic his spider-freaks on us anyway. Not knowing that, though, Zep thinks the move was rash, but he understands he's the only one there who understood how potentially deadly that battle could have been. He's glad he knows better what the old guy was capable of, though. Still on the fence about whether he's too dangerous to let live. He figures the call is well out of his hands though.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

So Zep has a few monologues to have. I'd rather do them here so people can read them if they like or disregard them and that way I'm not monopolizing the situation. It also lets him speak more eloquently, as he's prepared these speeches for the past decade or so.

To Alis, first, before he addresses the rest of the group. He speaks to her well out of earshot of everyone else.
The Force is strong with you, Alis. I've seen you use it, manipulate it, unknowingly. You're not a Jedi- they're gone- but the same mystical energy field that let them do what they could do is your ally and it has been your entire life. You may have realized it on your own eventually, but I don't think it's smart to let you stumble onto it. I'd hoped I was wrong, that it might just be a spark and not the full package. But you're the real deal.

You may not know much about the Force. The Empire has done a great job of keeping up a constant smear campaign against it. I wish you knew more about it. I wish you had a better instructor. But the Emperor has wiped away the Jedi order and hunted the survivors down. As far as I know, I'm the last. And I'm your last best hope at learning how to use this. You could learn on your own, but trust me when I say it's dangerous. You saw what happened to Lothar over there. He gestures for effect over to the prone body of the mad overseer. I think he lost it from finding out too much information without having the proper guidance. Who knows what would have happened if he'd found the holocron he was looking for...

Zep sighs and regards Alis seriously, coming off for once not as an old washed up drunk who's out of shape and down on his luck. It's your call. If you want a mentor, I can teach you the basics. I've had to put a lot of it out of my mind to evade the Inquisitors, but you never forget the basics. It won't be easy, and it won't be safe. The whole reason I didn't come to you sooner is because I thought you'd be safer not knowing. But with how fast you're developing your connection... I just don't think keeping you in the dark will protect you. But do yourself a favor and keep that lightsaber hidden. Being seen with it is the fastest way to get a visit from some of the Empire's most ruthless and powerful thugs.

It's your call. I won't tell the others what we talked about, but you can tell them if you want. I will say this, though. Do not use it for anger or hatred or personal gain. You go down that road... well, then you'll be going down the same path that led to the rise of the Empire. The Dark Side is the reason we're in the mess we're in now- and never forget it.

He claps Alis on the shoulder and saunters back to the rest of the crew. His bearing has changed slightly, like he's standing straight and sucking in his gut a bit. His eyes are focused and determined as he addresses everyone.

You may have questions. I don't have time to answer them all now, but I can give you the abridged version. My real name is Tycho Peart and I was... would have been... a Jedi. If it hadn't been for the Empire I would be a Jedi Knight now, maybe a Master. But I was forced into hiding and my training only covered so much. I don't know what your thoughts are about the Force, but it's real. I've been using it sparingly around you, but I HAVE been using it. I didn't tell you sooner because it would have put us all in danger if it got out. I haven't told anyone in over 18 years, so I'm still a bit rusty with expressing that part of my life.

We're mid-mission, and given there are still six or so slavers out there who need to be dealt with I'm not going to take up much of your time. But I will say this- if we're to defeat the Empire we need the Light Side of the Force on our side. Any relics we find, any writings or holocrons or anything else- they're all vitally important to the Rebel Alliance's success.

I'm done for now. Let's finish this mission. When we get back to The Early Bird I'd be happy to answer any questions, or if no one cares I'll be happy to let it drop altogether. But for now... let's kill us some slaver-scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Darius099 posted:

So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Q9T1rxIZI basically.

• Locked thread