Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just marathoned and beat octo canyon and the credits are the prettiest thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I got a bonus from Salmon Run and I went to go redeem it in the corner near the Salmon Run entrance and all the happened was a confusing pop-up with some quickly flashing yellow icon and I have no idea what happened or what the bonus was or how to use it.

Great game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the single-player in this game more substantial than Splatoon 1 or is it another fun but short experience?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I see this in the OP

"Use motion controls. Feel free to argue about it in the thread, but rare is a player who switches back to just dual stick controls after it clicks."

I'm using a pro controller. Should I use the joycons instead? Because motion controls on the pro controller are terrible for this

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Any advice for getting acclimated to the motion controls on a pro controller? Should I be using both sticks even with the motion turned on?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the single-player in this game more substantial than Splatoon 1 or is it another fun but short experience?

It's a bit more substantial but not by a huge amount.

JackDarko posted:

Any advice for getting acclimated to the motion controls on a pro controller? Should I be using both sticks even with the motion turned on?

Yes. I use the stick for broader motion and motion for fine aiming. Experiment with different sensitives in the firing range in the weapon shop.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I got the roller on a glowfly round and just ran right through the gigantic hordes, killing everything in my path. It was glorious.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Motion controllers aren't really worth using if you plan to use rollers/brushes. Better camera control helps more there.

Speaking of which, can someone tell me what the subs and special of the octobrush are? I assume there's only one in the game right now.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 22, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lakbay posted:

Just marathoned and beat octo canyon and the credits are the prettiest thing ever

Any good rewards? Hero armor? Spoil tag it I guess

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mancalamania posted:

I got a bonus from Salmon Run and I went to go redeem it in the corner near the Salmon Run entrance and all the happened was a confusing pop-up with some quickly flashing yellow icon and I have no idea what happened or what the bonus was or how to use it.

Great game.

Lol this is a kids game and you're still stuck.

Dude either it was ability gems or it was meal or drink tickets. Its not rocket science.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nigulus Rex posted:

I see this in the OP

"Use motion controls. Feel free to argue about it in the thread, but rare is a player who switches back to just dual stick controls after it clicks."

I'm using a pro controller. Should I use the joycons instead? Because motion controls on the pro controller are terrible for this

Ugh how many times

Zaphod42 posted:

a bunch of goons are going to tell you you're garbage if you don't use motion controls, but do whatever makes you happy friend

Plenty of people played splatoon 1 with motion controls and with sticks and do whatever the gently caress you like.

For some reason the people who use motion controls feel a huge urge to constantly tell everybody motion controls are better, ignore them. Probably because in most games motion controls are garbage and in this game they're very good.

But that doesn't mean you can't use your pro controller seriously what the gently caress just have fun. Do whatever works for you.

Somewhere there's a guy with no arms who plays the game with his toes... just do whatever works for you man. Don't seek approval for goons over every little thing because they'll totally lead you astray based on petty squabbles.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there a way to see your drawings/fresh!s etc?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something to mention about Salmon Run that I haven't seen brought up yet;

You can get Ability Chunks out of Bonuses (I got a stack of four Special Charge Up chunks in one).

If/when you get the Gear reward a second time, you can either swap it for the one you already have or get an Ability Chunk instead.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is there a way to see your drawings/fresh!s etc?

Should be at the Postbox, shouldn't it?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh there's no charger in the next salmon run rotation, I guess I'll just wait for that

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol this is a kids game and you're still stuck.

Dude either it was ability gems or it was meal or drink tickets. Its not rocket science.

The icon looked like an ability gem icon, but that still means nothing to me because I have no idea what to do with it. Do you equip it onto clothing? If so, how?

ETA: My "great game" in that first post was sincere, not ironic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mancalamania posted:

The icon looked like an ability gem icon, but that still means nothing to me because I have no idea what to do with it. Do you equip it onto clothing? If so, how?

ETA: My "great game" in that first post was sincere, not ironic.

Go talk to the crazy kid with the spikey black/blue hair to the right of the arena and he'll tell you all about how you upgrade items and what the gems are for.

That or it was a drink, since the drinks are based on abilities they boost the chance of receiving. Go talk to the shrimp guy at the taco stand, it shows food by default, press I think X to switch to drinks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JackDarko posted:

I've used motion controls for probably over a hundred hours with the first game and I just binged through this game's single player using the pro controller with motion controls. I think it feels pretty good. Maybe even better than the first game since the pro controller is lighter and easier to hold and move than the gamepad.

You definitely should still be using the stick to turn even with motion controls on. In fact you should be using the stick for most of your turning. You can make very fast turns with the stick, which I think is pretty important in a game that's as mobile as this one. You can jack the sensitivity all the way up and not have to worry about your aim getting screwed up too badly, because you're not using the stick for vertical aiming at all and you have the motion controls to fall back on for fine aiming. Also, as a side effect of the Y axis being disabled you can be really sloppy with the stick - just slam your thumb into it to make turns.

Motion controls are for fine control of your aim and vertical aiming. Use the stick to turn more or less in the direction you want to shoot and then correct it with motion controls. You can get a high degree of both speed and accuracy with some practice.

I like to also jack the sensitivity up all the way for the motion controls so that I don't have to move the controller very much. High sensitivity also lets you make more drastic turns with the motion controls if necessary. I said that you want to do most of your large turns with the stick, but sometimes in a close-range knife fight you have to choose between having your thumb on the stick or having it on the B button to jump (at least, I haven't found a comfortable way to keep my thumb on both at the same time.) So while your thumb is mashing B to jump around like a maniac to make it harder to get hit you can still use the motion controls for larger turns that you'd normally use the stick for (but can't because your thumb isn't on the stick.). Takes practice but it's definitely better than staying on the ground in that kind of situation.

I find myself pressing Y to reset the aim pretty often. I hit it if after I put my controller back in a resting position I find my aim to be too high or low.

I hope that's useful. I like how the motion controls are implemented and I'd never recommend twin sticks to anyone who hasn't made up their mind.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Salmon Run's closed for me... :negative:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Holy poo poo the dualies training mission is a ton of fun. Kinda reminds me of Sonic.

Zaphod42 posted:

Meant the 3rd, typo. But things get hairy when the difficulty ramps up, and with other weapons even under pressure I can usually ink myself to safety, build up, rez people, and turn it around.

With the charger's delay, if you're surrounded by enemy ink and being attacked, you're done for. I'm well aware how to use it well, I played tons of splatoon 1, its just really more of a support role and most randoms aren't being team players right now so being stuck in a support role for people who are all acting like lone wolves is very frustrating.

Agh I want some shades so bad. Where'd ya get em?

Keep checking the stores, they rotate stock with the maps. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

Salmon Run's closed for me... :negative:

Zaphod42 posted:

Salmon Run Schedule:

7/21 1AM - 11PM (CST)

7/22, 1AM - 11PM
7/23, 1AM - 11PM
7/25, 7AM - 7PM
7/27 1AM - 1PM

Anybody worried about salmon run not being frequent: its very frequent

It opens again in 2 hours.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Keep checking the stores, they rotate stock with the maps. :)

I wasn't getting much rotation but I finally saw somebody with the shades in the lobby so I sent little Sid (whatever his name is) to go nab em for me, he'll have them tomorrow :)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stage 22 was a pain in the rear end to find. Like seriously come on devs, a invisible floating block maze randomly plopped in the hub?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Am I really going to be at a huge disadvantage if I switch off of motion controls? My head can't wrap around turning horizontally with motion controls. Having to reset the position just to do a 180 is annoying. I know you can use the stick but then if I'm using the stick to look left and right, it's hard to mix it up with the motion controls.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What does it even look like to do a 180 with motion controls are you sitting in a swivel chair and spinning around :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rabid Snake posted:

Am I really going to be at a huge disadvantage if I switch off of motion controls? My head can't wrap around turning horizontally with motion controls. Having to reset the position just to do a 180 is annoying. I know you can use the stick but then if I'm using the stick to look left and right, it's hard to mix it up with the motion controls.

No. All the other skills relevant to this game are gonna matter a lot more than your preferred control scheme in the long run. If you're not enjoying the motion controls then stop using them. I tried using the motion controls for like 20+ hours in Splatoon and hated it. As soon as I gave up and went back to regular controls I had way more fun and still did fine in ranked.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Motion controls are the future, now is the time to adapt so you don't get left behind

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rabid Snake posted:

Using rollers is probably better with them off so you can try that.

Try playing the campaign with them on. I felt just like you until I decided to go through the campaign with them on in the first game and that's converted me.

The key is to make subtle motions.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

What does it even look like to do a 180 with motion controls are you sitting in a swivel chair and spinning around :psyduck:

Uh you use the left stick to walk backwards and hit Y to do an instant 180 snap. Pretty simple!

I do want to try getting a 360 charger shot by doing a 360 irl though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Twist And Pout! posted:

Uh you use the left stick to walk backwards and hit Y to do an instant 180 snap. Pretty simple!

I do want to try getting a 360 charger shot by doing a 360 irl though.

Oh right there's that. Not the worst thing in the world but I got really used to using max sensitivity stick to spin around so I forgot about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

If you use motion controls you're not supposed to JUST use motion controls. Its a hybrid system. You use the motion for fine movement and aiming, and you use the stick for gross movements.

It allows for finer accuracy than the sticks, which has you either picking between high sensitivity so you can turn fast but then you're inaccurate, or high accuracy and low sensitivity and then you're limited on your maximum turn speed.

I like the sticks though, trying to use the motion and the sticks just isn't as natural to my brain. I played some motion in splat1, plenty to get the hang of it, but I find the sticks more intuitive and even though they're not perfect, I have years and years of thumbstick muscle memory from playing halo so it works pretty well for me.

I'm able to turn and hit people super fast and I don't miss very much. Where if I use motion, I'm slightly more accurate, but sometimes I get jumped and I turn with the stick or the motion when I should have done the other and it screws me up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yes it is kind of hosed up it's 1:1 real motions. Luckily I own a full scale oil field and skate park I can run around on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Yes it is kind of hosed up it's 1:1 real motions. Luckily I own a full scale oil field and skate park I can run around on.

I would play the poo poo out of VR splatoon

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My and Sprayaran are unstoppable

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Humpback is a truly awful map. It's even more swingy than normal turf wars

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

If you use motion controls you're not supposed to JUST use motion controls. Its a hybrid system. You use the motion for fine movement and aiming, and you use the stick for gross movements.

It allows for finer accuracy than the sticks, which has you either picking between high sensitivity so you can turn fast but then you're inaccurate, or high accuracy and low sensitivity and then you're limited on your maximum turn speed.

I posted a guide about this on this page, I know aaaaall about this

I just brain-farted because when they said they hit Y a lot I thought they were using it to correct after doing crazy things with the gyro.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Where can I play with goons

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

alarumklok posted:

Humpback is a truly awful map. It's even more swingy than normal turf wars

That's exactly the reason why I think it's good.:v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I would play the poo poo out of VR splatoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ag1QtxHZ1g

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I posted a guide about this on this page, I know aaaaall about this

I just brain-farted because when they said they hit Y a lot I thought they were using it to correct after doing crazy things with the gyro.

Ah my b

That's super janky, basically fake. I mean its still 3rd person, its not really 3D, its not really VR, the controls... wait this really is fake isn't it lolol.

But hey that led me to this video which is kinda rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFOaCryA0o

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Callie and Marie Amiibos were disappointing since I was all hyped up by the embargo. Not even Squid Sisters outfits for my own squid huh.

This is okay though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I never played the first game and this game is great.