Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh yeah. Overdrive making bursts a lot less attractive is loving great too.

And some people will prefer BBs wakeup game over GGs for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
At the same time, guilty gear learning more into universal mechanics than BB makes it way easier to learn as a new player. Every time you play a new character in blazblue you have to learn an entirely new set of rules. I'll agree that they're more complicated and that can be cool but imo a lot of blazblue characters kind of devolve into "do this one thing and win" while GG characters can be played a bit more freeform as a whole.

So like you said they're different approaches that appeal to different people (but the one I like is correct)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

A trend that's come up with GG vs BB comparisons with the XRD games is that guilty gears system mechanics are largely defensive options, while in BB the universal stuff is largely about increasing combos or otherwise being on the offense. GG also thinks meter is a lot less valuable than BB does and thus lets you have way more.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

i picked up CF today and this is the first BB game ive really played for all intents and purposes outside of fuckin around w CT a bit back in the day and i really like it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blazblue's damage is too low for how long all the combos are and how hard they are to do

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i do prefer gg but bb is good yeah

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

In Training posted:

Blazblue's damage is too low for how long all the combos are and how hard they are to do

It's a lot better in newer versions, but BB is just a lot more deliberate/rigid in speed and playstyle than GG and that's fine for people who like that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

I remember at launch playing online and knowing that, not only could I concievably grab a drink after Litchi tagged me into a combo, Id still have plenty of health left.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

combos in Blazblue haven't been a problem for like three or four versions. hell none of the top tiers even have long combos besides Arakune, and he generally wants to go for resets instead.

it amuses me to see Blazblue accused of being samey when there is way, way more focus on batshit oki setups in GG compared to BB. The only BB characters with dumb oki are the top tiers who're getting slammed hard in CF's upcoming patch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BB top 8s take twice as long as GG top 8s: it's a slow rear end game

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it is absolutely inarguably a far far slower game than gg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf not a lot of things take less time than gg rounds, bb isn't especially fast but it's only really slow by airdasher standards and even then only kind of. not that that doesn't make it much slower than gg but people are acting like its smash or smth

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anybody got that smash term chart with messy guessies on it? i can't find it on the internet

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

smash community should probably embrace that poo poo and come up with steadily sillier and sillier versions of fighting game lingo and also shower more

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

:yeah:

There's an anime game for everyone out there, somewhere

my anime game was and still is gundam battle assault 2

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

tbf not a lot of things take less time than gg rounds, bb isn't especially fast but it's only really slow by airdasher standards and even then only kind of. not that that doesn't make it much slower than gg but people are acting like its smash or smth

well, I mean, even xrd's rounds are kind of slower than its predecessor too

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

In Training posted:

BB top 8s take twice as long as GG top 8s: it's a slow rear end game

tbf that was because of a really intense bracket reset in GF.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

smash community should probably embrace that poo poo and come up with steadily sillier and sillier versions of fighting game lingo and also shower more

Brother you have no idea.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

good idea for smash: seeding points based on personal hygiene

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a cheap go to machine for doing a fightcade setup or should i just hook a poo poo old laptop up to my router and tv?

Was hoping there was a small cheap box that would fit the bill and take up less space but im cool doing it the ugly way too.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Late to the blazblue chat but hakumen is one of the most satisfying characters I've ever played as. Counters for days and every hit is as visceral as a car crash.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Real hurthling! posted:

Is there a cheap go to machine for doing a fightcade setup or should i just hook a poo poo old laptop up to my router and tv?

Was hoping there was a small cheap box that would fit the bill and take up less space but im cool doing it the ugly way too.

How much are you willing to spend? Smallest thing you can get is probably the Intel Compute Stick with Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, Win 10 (32-bit) for ~$130 https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Comput...=computer+stick No ethernet though, but you could use a USB to Ethernet adapter I suppose.

[edit] For ~$180 you can get this miniPC with Windows 10 (64-bit): https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-NEO-Z83-4-Dual-Band-Technology/dp/B01M24W77N/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500711518&sr=8-4

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 22, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anything with an atom cpu is getting win 10 support cut right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Real hurthling! posted:

Clover Trail is hosed, Bay Trail is seemingly fine for now. They'll still get security updates, just not the big W10 feature updates (Creator, etc).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's almost an hour of the EVO build of Arika EX, played by Arika staff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cSQLY1ZeZ4

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Real hurthling! posted:

If you want to run fightcade well you want to use Windows XP anyway.

Just quarantine it from doing anything but getting on fightcade and if youre not playing online there are much much much much better emulators that will work well on modern OS or you can get some kind of Android thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I think ill just go the poo poo laptop route. Wipe it and fresh install a copy of xp and go from there

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

darealkooky posted:

A trend that's come up with GG vs BB comparisons with the XRD games is that guilty gears system mechanics are largely defensive options, while in BB the universal stuff is largely about increasing combos or otherwise being on the offense. GG also thinks meter is a lot less valuable than BB does and thus lets you have way more.

Having only watched so far GG so far it looks like almost everyone's unique mechanics are about creating traps and insane mix-ups.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
So Sol and Ky seem like well-rounded characters, they both have fireballs and good range on their normal S and HS for controlling space, easy-to-use anti-airs and good reaching sweeps. Jam's range by comparison seems way crappier but her chains seem a lot easier to mash out if you can get up-close to somebody.

What is Ramlethal supposed to be? Seemed to me like a setup character where you set the two little dookballs around the stage so you can extend your range to an unreasonable degree, but as soon as you do that, you lose almost all of your mid-range where S and HS attacks from Sol and Ky would hit. Is the trick to only set the black one down so you still have the white one which offers a good S ranged poke?

Either way, her and Jack-O don't seem like they have the most straightforward playstyle.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Having thought about it I think a lot of the reason I prefer BB to GG is... the neutral in GG feels considerably shorter to me? Like you're in neutral for a few seconds and then someone's in a vortex or being combo'd. BB has strong pressure as well but not as much and with more varied ways to wake up(direction, timing) means it's easier to get back to neutral. And I like spending more time in neutral. Less knockdown/oki(aside from a few characters who I think are all getting nerfed this next patch).

I haven't played GG very much though and I do like both

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 22, 2017

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Blockhouse posted:

my anime game was and still is gundam battle assault 2

You are good people, rx-78 divekick in that game is still extremely my poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dj Meow Mix posted:

some people get the street fighter 3 or cvs2 announcers burned into their brains

all I hear is "YOU CAN'T DEFEND!!"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think BB and GG are equally good, and love them both

also I believe the EN version of the new UNIEL comes out tomorrow, anyone picking that up?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
there is no English release date yet

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
i was LIED TO

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Sazabi's back divekick is sick.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hell yeah, put me down for the GBA2 fan club.

Tallgeese III tiger knee combos are the best.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Having only watched so far GG so far it looks like almost everyone's unique mechanics are about creating traps and insane mix-ups.

This is a trend among characters but it's not universal. 6P making you invincible from the waist up is universal (BB equivalent mechanic is way more limited both in moves it works against and how long the invincibility lasts and it's not always the same input if your character even has it) Being able to spend 25% meter to use a combination parry/focus attack is universal. Being able to throw people out of 1 frame gaps in their pressure if they're too close to you is universal & the equivalent mechanics in BB are overal way more focused on giving you momentum or extending combos instead of the GG mechanics that are more focused on keeping or resetting things to a more neutral state. Even the way burst works is way different between GG and the various systems BB has used over the years.

IronicDongz posted:

Having thought about it I think a lot of the reason I prefer BB to GG is... the neutral in GG feels considerably shorter to me? Like you're in neutral for a few seconds and then someone's in a vortex or being combo'd. BB has strong pressure as well but not as much and with more varied ways to wake up(direction, timing) means it's easier to get back to neutral. And I like spending more time in neutral. Less knockdown/oki(aside from a few characters who I think are all getting nerfed this next patch).

It's a bit more complicated than this imo. BB has less of an oki focus on knockdown as a whole but it also historically has a couple characters every game who if they get you in the right situation make you have to block pressure string for like 10 straight seconds, to the point where they even introduced a mechanic rewarding you with shitloads of meter if you get forced into this. Millia or zato are very scary and can steal a round real fast, but characters like nine/kokonoe/rachel/carl/arakune/litchii existed in games with generally way worse options for the defender than GG (except for ground recovery, which most of these characters didn't really have to worry about because of how their pressure/setups work) and while all of those characters were/will soon be nerfed the fact that this is a consistent trend in a franchise of like 6 games (and often the same recurring characters, even if sometimes they sit out for a while like when rachel was really horrible in CS) means that you can't really downplay it like that.

Like, even if we go back to pre BB arcsys games where characters like zato and slayer were gods, you'd be hard pressed to find something quite as stupid as "arakune gets curse against tager in CT by landing a single cloud or bug hit and gets to guard break him for free, if he bursts he instead gets a combo with bonus damage" "nine has a homing fast projectile overhead that's +22 on block" "kokonoe can blockstring you into an unblockable into 8k+ combo from the start of the round because her meter gain is that insane" and all kinds of other wacky stuff.

Being kind of busted aside, I dunno if it's really fair to say that GG has shorter or less neutral given that while it has more oki it also has generally shorter combos so even if you're not playing "neutral" you're still playing on defense (VS sitting there making sure they don't drop the combo). Like the crazy pressure this is also something that varies quite a bit between BB games but there are characters like azrael or litchii who can land two combos and kill you because they can string so much poo poo together in the corner, that can happen in GG too but it generally requires pretty specific situations or just cranking up the guard bar a lot beforehand unless you count "I'm bad at mashing out of dizzy and got IK'd"

Despite my posturing earlier I don't HATE blazblue, it's pretty fun to play and it's only become more so the less it tries to be the new coke version of guilty gear and actually develop its own identiy and mechanics. However I do believe that it's historically made the same mistakes over and over and it's pretty frustrating to see.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 22, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

also I believe the EN version of the new UNIEL comes out tomorrow, anyone picking that up?
just get the jp version unless you feel like waiting for "late 2017" (or "sometime, probably" for the steam release)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If you want to run fightcade well you want to use Windows XP anyway.

Just quarantine it from doing anything but getting on fightcade and if youre not playing online there are much much much much better emulators that will work well on modern OS or you can get some kind of Android thing.

to add to this, on Windows xp make sure it's all the way updated and you get the manual new update for WannaCry