Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Earlier this evening after a victory I got a +1000pt "Freshness Bonus" after a match. I assume this is just the game having recognized my style as being extremely on point -- but on the off chance I'm wrong, what was it and how do you trigger it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

You get a freshness bonus when you switch from dry to raw, raw to fresh, etc

that win streak counter in the arrow when you're in queue

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i looked at the silhouettes for weapon unlocks in ammo knights and i am SUPREMELY bummed that my baby The Dual Squelcher is not an unlockable weapon :sigh:

i can get a regular squelcher i guess but it just won't be the same

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Forget what I said about blaster. The ink costs on everything they do has been (understandably) increased.

The world is a gently caress.

I am sad man.

Splat em all 6017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A little tip for the Dualies. After you dodge, you can't move for a second except to dodge again and you get an increased firing rate, tighter aim and farther range. You'll start moving again as soon as you're able if you keep trying and as soon as you do you lose the bonuses from the dodge. If you don't move, however, you'll keep the bonuses until you either start moving or run out of ink. Additionally, while you can only dodge twice in quick succession, if you space out your dodges you can keep doing them. Give it a try in the campaign canyon or Sheldon's testing arena, it feels pretty good when you get it down.

Basically, the best way to fight someone with the Dualies is only move by dodging. You'll always have the great damage output and be harder to hit. It uses a lot of ink though, so quick skirmishes and the Ink Saver Main ability are going to be very useful.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 22, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lmao later game salmon run is just nothing but
BOSS SALMON INCOMING
BOSS SALMON INCOMING
BOSS SALMON INCOMING
BOSS SALMON INCOMING

It never ends.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

deep web creep posted:

Earlier this evening after a victory I got a +1000pt "Freshness Bonus" after a match. I assume this is just the game having recognized my style as being extremely on point -- but on the off chance I'm wrong, what was it and how do you trigger it?

alarumklok posted:

You get a freshness bonus when you switch from dry to raw, raw to fresh, etc

that win streak counter in the arrow when you're in queue

Double post, but this is specifically triggered by using the same weapon. If you change weapons it resets. On the other hand, immediately after getting a freshness bonus is a great time to change weapons and try something new!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Am I really going to be at a huge disadvantage if I switch off of motion controls? My head can't wrap around turning horizontally with motion controls. Having to reset the position just to do a 180 is annoying. I know you can use the stick but then if I'm using the stick to look left and right, it's hard to mix it up with the motion controls.

You won't be at a huge disadvantage, but they're worth learning. Try doing a few stages in Octo Valley with them to get a little more familiar with how they work.

It's a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at first but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly they click.

Also, how are you using the motion controls? Are you steering them like a car? Don't do that! The controller basically acts like a faux pointer device.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Somewhere there's a guy with no arms who plays the game with his toes...

Oh poo poo, I didn't know Vicas had this game.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The app showing current stages is nice but please add the weapon rotation of Salmon Run Nintendo.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Is the gatling gun a bad choice in weapon? I'm not getting stellar results with it, but I think it's a weapon I want to learn.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Are the meal ticket bonuses based on a timer, or on a number of matches? I just got my first ticket, but I don't want to waste it, since I usually play in short sessions.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maple Leaf posted:

Is the gatling gun a bad choice in weapon? I'm not getting stellar results with it, but I think it's a weapon I want to learn.

It's more of a defense weapon. You can easily hold poo poo down if you get a high vantage point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I've been playing the absolute heck out of Spla2n and have really been enjoying it. I'm not entirely sure how to play games that aren't turf war but turf war is the best, so. I also bought it digitally because buying video games in stores never stopped feeling awkward and a hassle and now I regret not getting $20 off through Amazon.

Also, the splattershot is not a direct upgrade of the splattershot jr because the splattershot jr has a bigger cone of fire I think. And the aeromark takes more hits to kill than the splattershot but shoots more blobs so it's better at painting terrain than killing dudes. That being said, Aeromark gets that curler launcher special *leans into mic* which is the best ultimate skill in this game or any game.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thanks for the Motion controls advice I dropped the sensitivity a little bit and i'm getting in the flow more of using both sticks plus the motion controls. I'm getting stellar results with the Aerospray.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Thanks LethalGeek for killing Flanzig so much ya bitch :argh:

I thought that was familiar :D

BTW Everyone I found the Really Good Players. THey're all in ranked and most of them seem S Rank or better types. I'm having to work hard.

Also none of them are across the Pacific and i'm not getting lagged killed all the time ooooooooh my god so happy

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 22, 2017

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So is there a solution other than buying the overpriced HORI headset to do voice chat and game in the same headset?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

You don't need to charge it all the way to use it. You only need to get four hits to splat a squid and you can get that with very little charge. Feathering in close quarters also works

That said, it's an amazing shutout weapon and you can use the sprinkler as a low-rent shield too! Just make sure you drop it ahead of time because it takes a ton of ink.

e: Also! Shoot in front of where your target is trying to go. Once they're knee deep in your ink, the rest of your shots will take care of all the rest.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Djarum posted:

So is there a solution other than buying the overpriced HORI headset to do voice chat and game in the same headset?

Any cheap audio splitter should work.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

EightFlyingCars posted:

You don't need to charge it all the way to use it. You only need to get four hits to splat a squid and you can get that with very little charge. Feathering in close quarters also works

That said, it's an amazing shutout weapon and you can use the sprinkler as a low-rent shield too! Just make sure you drop it ahead of time because it takes a ton of ink.

e: Also! Shoot in front of where your target is trying to go. Once they're knee deep in your ink, the rest of your shots will take care of all the rest.

It's definitely a learning curve, since I'm used to holding squid and fire and releasing fire to go into squid immediately, and doing that with the gatling gun cancels your fire entirely. Definitely some growing pains with this one.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I can't get matchmaking working on my hotel wifi. :(

Just keeps popping up with Error 2618-0516, any solutions known?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dad Jokes posted:

Are the meal ticket bonuses based on a timer, or on a number of matches? I just got my first ticket, but I don't want to waste it, since I usually play in short sessions.

Meal Ticket bonuses last for 20 matches.

Scholtz posted:

I can't get matchmaking working on my hotel wifi. :(

Just keeps popping up with Error 2618-0516, any solutions known?

Could it be the kind of hotel wifi that expects a browser-based login?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
How often do the clothing stores update the inventory? Once a day?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Meal Ticket bonuses last for 20 matches.

So you could use it, play a few matches, then quit for a while without using up the bonus? That would be preferable than a straight timer.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Calihan posted:

How often do the clothing stores update the inventory? Once a day?

Every time the maps change, so every 2 hours.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Could it be the kind of hotel wifi that expects a browser-based login?

I'm in my hotel's WiFi at work. It doesn't need a password, but it does need you to accept terms. It should automatically pop up the browser for it, or to put in the password. If it doesn't, it might just be an issue with the hotel's WiFi settings.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Unlucky7 posted:

So you could use it, play a few matches, then quit for a while without using up the bonus? That would be preferable than a straight timer.

Yup, that's exactly how they work.

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
Wait wait wait am I missing something or can you seriously not play ranked with friends?

I just grinded up to level 10 so we could finally queue as a squad and there appears to be no way to do that?

Do I have to now grind to B- just to be able to do league play? I thought league was something different.

Game is great but I cannot believe there is still no easy way to queue into turf war with friends, and apparently no ranked squad option at all?

Please please someone tell me I missed something.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Wait wait wait am I missing something or can you seriously not play ranked with friends?

I just grinded up to level 10 so we could finally queue as a squad and there appears to be no way to do that?

Do I have to now grind to B- just to be able to do league play? I thought league was something different.

Game is great but I cannot believe there is still no easy way to queue into turf war with friends, and apparently no ranked squad option at all?

Please please someone tell me I missed something.

getting into Turf War with friends is pretty easy, just queue up and they join on you from the Friends option. even lets them wait for a spot to open up if you're currently in a full game, which happens pretty quick. we had like 5 people playing together with some random pubs thrown in tonight just kind of from everyone joining on their friends without even planning it beforehand

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Onean posted:

That can't be right. I just booted the game up and the clothing stores are selling the same thing from 14 or so hours ago.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I think the shops changed every 24h in 1 so it could be the same here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, it changes at midnight local time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Calihan posted:

That can't be right. I just booted the game up and the clothing stores are selling the same thing from 14 or so hours ago.

Huh. People were saying they cycle with the maps. I haven't checked.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kelp Plankton posted:

getting into Turf War with friends is pretty easy, just queue up and they join on you from the Friends option. even lets them wait for a spot to open up if you're currently in a full game, which happens pretty quick. we had like 5 people playing together with some random pubs thrown in tonight just kind of from everyone joining on their friends without even planning it beforehand

i have friends who really prefer to play as a full team instead of just "in the same game" and only having splatfests (for whomever chooses the same teams) and salmon runs is really burning his desire to keep playing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's still a really bad system. They seemingly haven't actually changed how online modes work from the first game at all, except for the use of the app, which still seems to only work with private matches and Salmon Run, not going into normal Turf War or Ranked together :( (I hope I'm wrong and someone corrects me)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ranked is single queue, yes. League is where you queue for team Ranked. It shouldn't take long at all to get B-, if it's like Splatoon 1. There is also a Friends option in the lobby, but I don't have any playing at the moment so I can't check exactly what options are available there.

Edit: Having a dedicated one person queue for Ranked is a good idea when teams are this small. Coordination is strong in any competitive game, and having that advantage is huge and unfun for the larger percentage of people who don't. Gating League behind a rank is questionable since you're forming teams yourself though. It should probably be just level 10 as well.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 22, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Djarum posted:

If you want to use Discord or whatever and if you're playing next to a desktop PC or a laptop that has a headphone jack, microphone jack and a line in jack, you can connect the headphone jack of the Switch to the Line In, plug in a headset to the headphone/microphone pair on the PC, and then get your PC to play the line in through the headset.

Looks like this in Windows:

I used this configuration just fine on the Wii U using its analog A/V port and it worked great. However with the Switch I needed to get an audio ground isolator to get rid of the hum from the ground loop when docked. I guess the Wii U had an isolated power supply but the Switch doesn't?

edit: If your TV has a headphone jack you can try using that instead of the Switch's and that might not have ground loop poo poo going on

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 22, 2017

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Onean posted:

I'm in my hotel's WiFi at work. It doesn't need a password, but it does need you to accept terms. It should automatically pop up the browser for it, or to put in the password. If it doesn't, it might just be an issue with the hotel's WiFi settings.

Yeah, I'm in a Marriott hotel here. The wifi works, and I'm connected to the internet/past the login page, but I cannot get into any games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Made it to Profreshional (lol) in salmon run and its ridiculously hard now, at least with randoms. Its so easy for stuff to get out of hand, mainly because the game will spawn a bunch of flyfish and drizzlers to ruin you from afar. There's no quick way to kill either of those so you end up drowning in ink.

So is there any way to change the main ability on gear or is it only secondary stuff? I don't really understand the new gear system at all. All I know is ink resistance is still insanely good.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really hate suggesting this, but could the Curling Bomb Launcher be almost too good? It feels like it covers a lot more area than any of the other supers.

Then again I lived through all roller and Aero MG teams and people found counters for those, so I can't really say how it pans out in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Are you supposed to see your own Fake Miiverse drawing in your profile? I posted it to my TWITTAH but I don't see it anywhere.