Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I sense deception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Accretionist posted:

I sense deception.

Roll perception.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Virigoth posted:

Roll perception.

I rolled a total of 32.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I rolled a 420. Now I can move to any part of the west coast.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I rolled a 420. Now I can move to any part of the west coast.

Or remain in CO which is cooler anyway :2bong:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Radical idea, but how about we all stay at home and not go outside?
*Shuts basement window*

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SEKCobra posted:

Radical idea, but how about we all stay at home and not go outside?
*Shuts basement window*
Sounds like someone lives in Phoenix!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sounds like someone lives in Phoenix Winnipeg!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sounds like someone lives in Phoenix!

Today it was oppressively hot, AND rainy!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vargatron posted:

I got word that I was one of 5 candidates selected for the interview on Monday out of over 100 applications. Dude on the inside said that I got the interview based on the strength of my resume and not his word. I'm super stoked about this poo poo.

:toot: can't come soon enough.

Remember; When you quit your job, tell your boss you're taking an advancement opportunity.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Retire, it's been good for me so far.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Org spent near a million dollar s to get on Netbackup to find out they don't support XFS through VMWare backups lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Virigoth posted:

Roll perception.

https://github.com/xori/gamblers-dice

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

alg posted:

Org spent near a million dollar s to get on Netbackup to find out they don't support XFS through VMWare backups lol

:psyduck:

Isn't XFS pretty drat common?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wibla posted:

:psyduck:

Isn't XFS pretty drat common?

Yeah it's been around for decades and is the default in RHEL7. These machines will have to get agents just like AIX to back up, lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao agents to backup VMs in TYOOL 2017

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

alg posted:

How do people still keep buying backup any software from Symantec? Especially when they could have paid let's say $10k for multiple copies of Veeam on multiple backup servers and called it a day?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

How do people still keep buying backup any software from Symantec? Especially when they could have paid let's say $10k for multiple copies of Veeam on multiple backup servers and called it a day?

They don't know any better and just keep renewing their contracts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

This is true for so many useless products like anything from Symantec or McAfee

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

And that's were good sales people come into play.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Or Trend. We sell it and install it on almost everything.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Does Veeam back up P series? Most of our applications are on AIX, we just run light web servers and Windows infrastructure on VMWare.

I'm not sure why they went with the Netbackup appliance aside from the State (I work for a state agency) might have a deal with them and NetApp.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MANime in the sheets posted:

Or Trend. We sell it and install it on almost everything.

Trend has some good products, like the hypervisor based deep security product works well.

alg posted:

Does Veeam back up P series? Most of our applications are on AIX, we just run light web servers and Windows infrastructure on VMWare.

I'm not sure why they went with the Netbackup appliance aside from the State (I work for a state agency) might have a deal with them and NetApp.

A lot of the new "next gen" backup solutions have spotty support for Unix based OSes, especially older versions, so they just aren't an option. Likewise for less common or older application versions.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

big money big clit posted:

Trend has some good products, like the hypervisor based deep security product works well.

Just WFBSS

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

alg posted:

Sadly it doesn't, yet, so that might be why. There are workarounds of course like backing up from AIX to a SAN that can then be snapshotted by Veeam, but I'd be the last to suggest that kind of nonsense as a primary backup plan.

Still though, Netbackup :gonk:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

We are migrating off TSM and 2500 tapes :unsmith:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tab8715 posted:

We had Symantec BackupExec for the longest time because we got it for almost free with a non-profit license (I'm not actually sure it was legal/in compliance). This was "good enough" for my boss, even though it was always a pain in the rear end to manage. Then he went on vacation and became unreachable during an incident involving backups, and I learned he wasn't actually backing up anything correctly.

Now we have Veeam, and backups are my responsibility. Sadly I still have my boss as well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We had Backup Exec from loving v3 or some bullshit backing up our Novell servers and migrated to Veeam last year.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay, just got done with a dry run through of my Skype client with a friend of mine and tried out my interview outfit for tomorrow.

I've got a really positive feeling about the interview tomorrow morning. Here are a few things I'm going to try and highlight.

Strengths:
Versatility - I've had to learn skills ranging from end user deskside support all the way to managing production software which operates all facilities in North America.
Interpersonal Skills - I have a very good relationship with all of my coworkers at my current job, from the production workers all the way up to the executive team.
Hungry for knowledge - I want to learn new skills to improve my job performance and benefit the company I work for. I tackle new challenges with an open mind and I'm always receptive to new ideas or methods.

Areas of Improvement:
Time Management - I've had issues which prioritizing and organizing my time as I've been given more and more responsibility in my job. I've worked to improve on this by doing things like listing out open tasks for the day, prioritizing them according to production impact and then addressing any left over items first the next day.

Of course I have more examples of strengths and improvements but I think I'm sending the right message by showing that I can identify my own shortcomings and address them.

Super stoked for tomorrow morning!

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you start getting nervous just remind yourself that the worst case scenario will be that you don't get the job and it's not the end of the world. This has helped me keep calm for interviews.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looking all professional!

I agree with mewse. Another thing that has always helped me is knowing that there are a lot of terrible IT guys out there and I honestly feel any company would be lucky to have me. If you're even remotely good at your job, that's true for you too. And remember, the interview is a two-way street, you're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you. Make sure you try to see if it is a good fit for you. You're a rockstar!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm going to be :yotj: soon once I finish my CCNA this month, and frankly the biggest thing I'm worried about is how to dress for my interviews. I live in Seattle, which is fairly casual, but I am used to my company(which I have worked with for 10+ years) which just recently stopped requiring non-managers such as myself to wear ties.
Maybe a trivial thing to worry about, but I have gone through so many internal interviews that the knowledge check and 'talk about yourself' portions don't worry me as much.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

You can't really go wrong wearing a suit to an interview, at least in my area of the East Coast

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Protip don't do it in the bathroom.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Protip don't do it in the bathroom.

Unless she's into that kind of thing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean unless you're doing lower level work I'd say a suit is never a bad idea. It doesn't even have to be a jacket and a tie. A dress shirt and tie will do.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I interview in a zoot suit jacket and tiger stripe pajama pants to display my disdain for traditional corporate oppression.

Millennial startups love me. IBM didn't call back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It really depends on the culture and your position. It never hurts to ask. "I generally wear a suit and tie to an interview, is that okay?" I've been told not to wear a suit before and I've been at places where wearing a suit was a negative in an interview.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I interview in a zoot suit jacket and tiger stripe pajama pants to display my disdain for traditional corporate oppression.

Millennial startups love me. IBM didn't call back.
Depends on the division. They're struggling HARD to acquire talent in North America that is remotely competent and under 50. They might let that outfit pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Personally if the dividing line between getting the job or not can be whether or not the applicant wears a suit, I'd say the place isn't going to be a good fit and just pass on it.

This isn't the lawyer/frontline sales/C-level golf thread, after all. The firewall isn't going to be offended that you're not dressed up.