Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Source

It's the eating/drinking/grooming/reading while driving that's a secondary offense.

I wish the various WSP Twitter accounts knew this. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I wish the various WSP Twitter accounts knew this. Thanks

Here at work, they made really drat sure that all employees were aware that it was a primary - mostly because docs/nurses/et cetera have phones glued in place whenever they're not actually seeing someone - the aforementioned dodge'm happens in our own parking lot and surrounding streets an awful lot. :smith:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/RqFMeVT.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You go Sister.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

This is amazing. Looks like a scene out of some wacky 1970s movie with Gene Wilder in it or something.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I recall reading somewhere that hands free and holding a phone to your ear are the same level of distraction. And both are about the same as being at 0.08 bac.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jamal posted:

I recall reading somewhere that hands free and holding a phone to your ear are the same level of distraction. And both are about the same as being at 0.08 bac.

quote:

The Transport Research Laboratory found driver reaction times to be 30 per cent slower while using a hands-free phone than driving with a blood alcohol level of 80mg alcohol per 100ml blood (the UK limit) and nearly 50 per cent slower than driving under normal conditions.
http://www.youthforroadsafety.org/uploads/nieuws_bijlagen/iam_smartphone_simulator_study_booklet.pdf

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Fuckin' every car I saw on the paper route tonight was blinding me with high beams. I want to put one of those obnoxious light bars on the front of the Fit and give em a taste of what it's like to be completely dazzled.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I'm old so just imagine I made a Flying Nun joke.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Vanagoon posted:

This is amazing. Looks like a scene out of some wacky 1970s movie with Gene Wilder in it or something.
Not a 1990 one staring Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nun on the run

or

Once this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you are going to see some holy poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
“It’s the cobblestones that do it.”

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Platystemon posted:

:golfclap:

"Late for service! God's gonna be pissed!"

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

What about talking with someone in the passenger seat or the seat behind you? How is a hands free phone call any more or less distracting than that? Do they not include those statistics because it would would put everything else into a perspective that makes all of it sound much less dangerous?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GutBomb posted:

What about talking with someone in the passenger seat or the seat behind you? How is a hands free phone call any more or less distracting than that? Do they not include those statistics because it would would put everything else into a perspective that makes all of it sound much less dangerous?

Talking with someone in the car is a distraction but it's much less because the passenger has functioning eyes too (well, typically). If they see something wrong they can shut up or provide warning.

On the phone, your best friend will just keep on blabbing about how lovely their co-workers are while you obliviously t-bone a bus full of nuns.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GutBomb posted:

https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/204502

quote:

Driving alone was the safest option, the researchers found, in line with previous research. There were significantly fewer collisions when drivers were alone in the simulated car than when they spoke to a passenger in the car with them. Passengers helped drivers find their exits and improved their memory of road signs, but they detracted from overall safety (avoidance of collisions), Kramer said.

As expected, speaking to someone on a cellphone while driving was the most dangerous of the conditions. Talking to someone who had no awareness of what was going on inside or outside the car more than tripled the likelihood of a collision, the researchers found.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Texters tend to think they're better at texting and driving than the average person, so they believe the law is only for average people, not them: https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/motr/when-it-comes-to-driving-most-people-think-their-skills-are-above-average.html

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I wasn't defending any of those things really, I just thought it was weird that the distractions were listed without having physical presence of others in the car listed as a distraction. Just look forward with both hands on the wheel when you drive and you can have a conversation on the phone or with a passenger and still drive safely.

Anything that requires you to fiddle with a screen is obviously a major problem.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

Talking with someone in the car is a distraction but it's much less because the passenger has functioning eyes too (well, typically). If they see something wrong they can shut up or provide warning.

They can just as easily point out distractions away from danger, adjust environmental controls, touch the driver, etc. The only time I'm truly thankful for another set of eyes is late at night in the woods before deer season. The rest of the time, a co-driver might help with directions, but not accident reaction time.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

GutBomb posted:

Yes. there's no point making a law unless it can be enforced, proven and preventable. That's why DUI is #1, speeding #2, hands on a phone #3; while loving with a radio, talking to a passenger or being a poo poo driver aren't looked at.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lime Tonics posted:

These are the planes you share the road with,

:nws: lots of swearing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=0woxrFHU4fg&app=desktop

The comments on the video are loving perfect.
"The pilot zipper merges into traffic better than 99% of Atlanta drivers."

Platystemon posted:

I love this joke.
For those that don't know...

2 nuns are riding their bike down the street. One nun says to the other, "I've never come this way before."

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
x-post from the Schadenfreude thread:

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwa7HzR4K4
A life skill when you ride a motorcycle is "forgiveness" and "letting things go".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

spog posted:

https://news.illinois.edu/blog/view/6367/204502

quote:

Driving alone was the safest option, the researchers found, in line with previous research. There were significantly fewer collisions when drivers were alone in the simulated car than when they spoke to a passenger in the car with them. Passengers helped drivers find their exits and improved their memory of road signs, but they detracted from overall safety (avoidance of collisions), Kramer said.
It'd be interesting to see what effect having small children in the car have.

Also I don't think that study accounts for the fact that I drive like twice as fast if I'm alone in the car.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had a claim once where the passenger suddenly decided to strangle the driver. I imagine that was somewhat of a distraction.

Still probably better than texting...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was about 90% backed out of my parking spot at Trader Joe's, when I saw in my rear camera the person behind me start to back their car out of the handicapped spot. I stopped. He kept coming. I threw my car into drive and pulled back into my spot. This guy was still backing out. Very slowly. He was just going for it, not even looking.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Horns exist for a reason. Unless you have a shorty horn like my car and you refuse to use it because of it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The horn is in the front of my car, it feels weird.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

FogHelmut posted:

The horn is in the front of my car, it feels weird.

Reverse‐facing horns should be a thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That Homer Simpson line "you can never find a horn when you're mad" is the truest thing I've ever heard about driving.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yesterday was a textbook day for why idiots on cellphones while driving are a nuisance at best and a hazard to themselves (and those around them) at worst. Actually, let's change that to "idiots on cellphones are a hazard anywhere near cars" since two of these are pedestrians.

On the way to work:
-Waiting for a light and the idiot besides me is too busy on their phone to notice they have a green arrow to turn. I was surprised by the HUGE TEXAS TRUCK behind them that they waited 3-4 seconds to give a polite honk and then another two seconds before giving the "WAKE UP GODDAMNIT AND MOVE" lay on the horn. Usually people in those big trucks go for the rear end in a top hat approach on anything first.
-A few blocks down I turn right and see a pedestrian jogger look up from her phone. Turns out she just jogged around the corner and past the cross-walk she wanted to cross at. So instead of jogging 25-30 feet back and waiting at the light she quickly looks both directions and then runs out in front of me. Lady some day someone's not gonna be paying attention to stop for you.

After work:
-I check my rearview mirror as I start to ease out of my parking space and stop because there's an employee from the restaurant next door slowly meandering through the parking lot, face glued to his phone. I sigh, wait for him to pass then start to ease out again only to see movement in my mirrors a moment later. Turns out he was so glued to his phone that he walked past his own car and now has to slowly lurch back, zombified by the phone screen in his face and oblivious that he just walked in front of me not once but twice.

Eifert Posting posted:

That Homer Simpson line "you can never find a horn when you're mad" is the truest thing I've ever heard about driving.

I don't have a horn worth poo poo, I drive a 12 year old PT Cruiser. If I lay on it, it might, just might reach "Um...e-excuse me?" levels of volume.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

FogHelmut posted:

He was just going for it, not even looking.
I've been in two collisions because of drivers not looking when reversing. The lady admitted "I thought you had driven off..." You have three mirrors and a head that can rotate on a neck. Maybe use them.

Thankfully no injuries and no real damage because it's all low speed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Guy in front me rear ended the lady in front of her in stop and go traffic on the highway. As soon as I saw the lady's door open I rolled down my window and yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU'RE ON THE HIGHWAY, PULL OVER" in which I received a look and a wave around from the guy who was just starting to get out of his car. I hope the cop that showed up yelled at them for the same reason.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I need to buy a Fast Pass for the four times a year I cross a toll bridge. I'm sick of wasting so much time in stopped traffic at the toll plaza because of assholes who ignore the FP or cash signs, cruise by the line of cars waiting to pay cash and cut in at the last moment causing a huge backup that they are too important to wait in.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

my sister texts in complete sentences with correct punctuation while driving

she also owns horses so she drives an F-350 and may or may not be pulling a gigantic trailer at any time

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Eifert Posting posted:

One of life's great frustrations is finding out your horn's broken when some moron pulls a completely idiotic stunt in front of you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Vanagoon posted:

First thought was it was ripped straight from Blues Brothers

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

FuturePastNow posted:

my sister texts in complete sentences with correct punctuation while driving

she also owns horses so she drives an F-350 and may or may not be pulling a gigantic trailer at any time

Horse trailer people are a scourge upon rural roads.

If your vehicle can't handle the slightest curve without slowing down to 15 mph, maybe consider that it might not belong on the loving road.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

monsterzero posted:

I need to buy a Fast Pass for the four times a year I cross a toll bridge. I'm sick of wasting so much time in stopped traffic at the toll plaza because of assholes who ignore the FP or cash signs, cruise by the line of cars waiting to pay cash and cut in at the last moment causing a huge backup that they are too important to wait in.

I have one of the SANEF tags for Autoroutes in France and have enjoyed both the French drivers looks of concern at me using the 30kph lanes, and watching other British cars follow mine into the tag only lanes and get stuck behind the gate. Nobody expects foreigners to know how the system works but :ssh: we do.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

FCKGW posted:

Wicked witch of the nunnery.

As soon as I saw that the Wizard of Oz music started playing where the wicked witch is in the tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

monsterzero posted:

I rather like Texas's system where they bundled together the variety of different tags the cities had and lumped it under one system, so they're all valid. Even better is you don't need an actual tag to use them. Outside of some of the major cities (mainly Houston) all of the toll gates are 100% camera operated and they'll just send you a bill later. They'll just charge you a bit more if you don't have a tag. Good if you just travel on those toll roads now and then (or in my case, get lost in Houston/Katy and accidentally drive up an on-ramp for a toll road). The total cost of saying "gently caress it" and driving through 5-6 toll checkpoints without a tag was about $2.75 for me.

Though I have heard they had a bit of confusion with their billing sending out bills to drivers in good standing as of late, I doubt that will last long.