Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

So imagine if you will that you're working at Square near the end of the millennium; the Final Fantasy series is selling like gangbusters and things are generally going well....except you also realize that the company is starting to pump up goofier fare like Brave Fencer Musashi or Chocobo Racing. You've got your own interesting ideas and you know Square won't go for them; so what do you do? Well if you're Hiroki Kikuta then you take your new ideas and head off to start your own company, and try to develop a new, unique property. And that brings us to today's let's play for Koudelka, the first entry in the cult classic horror RPG series known as Shadow Hearts and a game clearly reaching for the stars but ultimately running into a number of hurdles along the way.

Released for the PS1 near the end of 1999, Koudelka follows the adventures of a rag-tag group of jerks as they investigate a dark mystery surrounding a desolate monastery in Wales. On it's surface, the game has many hallmarks that you'd normally see in a lot of turn based RPG's but beneath that you'll see smatterings of what Kikuta originally wanted. Which believe it or not, was meant to be something more akin to the survival horror present in Resident Evil. He wanted scare resources for the adventurers and a tension to the game that not only came from the dreary setting, but an unsurety of what could lie in wait behind the next corner. It's just that the ex-employees he brought over from Square wanted to continue doing the tried and true RPG formula, and the compromise can be pretty clearly seen in the game as multiple genres start to mix into an odd stew that really takes some effort to see the real creativity hidden in the game. Because beneath the initial familiar sheen and safety of a bog standard RPG lies a very twisting and dark tale told through some incredibly well-done voice acting. So hopefully you'll enjoy the journey and please be kind and remember no spoilers.

Koudelka Iasant is our titular character and primary protagonist. With her razor wit and headstrong personality, she has found herself at the heart of a very dangerous situation. Thankfully she's got just the right tools to deal with the job (mainly cynicism).

Edward Plunkett is roguish adventurer with his heart set on obtaining booty....but not the kind you might be thinking. Sadly as he made his way into the Nementon Monastery in search of treasures, he soon only found himself in way over his head.

James O' Flaherty is your typical Irish rear end in a top hat priest that you might see pop up in Father Ted. The question is though why this man of the cloth has found himself in the monastery and if he's being on the level with Koudelka and Edward.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hey, it's a horror RPG for the PS1 that isn't Parasite Eve! It'll be an exciting ride that hopefully I won't gently caress up badly with.

Also though I wasn't planning on doing it initially, there is a rather bizarre secret in the game that involves carrying a certain amount of items and saving at very particular times: Bonus 1: Masters of time and saving (and yes, I did get the info slightly wrong regarding how many items you need but you'll get the general gist of it all)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm a huge fan of the Shadow Hearts series but somehow never actually got around to playing Koudelka, so this'll be fun.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Geez, Koudelka can't even give her companion a heads up about something being poison until after the fact? That's pretty cold. Although I suppose that's better than the revelation I thought was going to happen, that the soup used soylent green as an ingredient.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've tried playing this before but the general clunkiness of the mechanics always rebuffed me. Looking forward to experiencing this game vicariously.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I've tried playing this before but the general clunkiness of the mechanics always rebuffed me. Looking forward to experiencing this game vicariously.
Yeah, there are certain aspects to it that are unnecessarily clunky like going through menus or having to sit through the same slow canned animations when doing everything (like you start to notice after a while that even simple animations like attacking are double the length that most other games would be) but there are some generally interesting ideas with the game play as well, like how distance effects magic damage and properly situating yourself around the arena. It's a nice change of pace from just the static row of heroes and enemies lobbing attacks at each other like other RPG's of the time.

Leraika posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Shadow Hearts series but somehow never actually got around to playing Koudelka, so this'll be fun.
I do hope I can get across this game in an interesting enough fashion so that people that might have missed the earlier SSLP of this or haven't been able to experience, but have enjoyed Shadow Hearts, can now get to experience this. So fingers crossed.

Edvarius posted:

Geez, Koudelka can't even give her companion a heads up about something being poison until after the fact? That's pretty cold. Although I suppose that's better than the revelation I thought was going to happen, that the soup used soylent green as an ingredient.
Yeah, I really appreciate how Koudelka comes across. She's massively encumbered by having to drag anyone along and she's not out to make friends right now, but she isn't inhumane and we'll see soon enough that she does have an altruistic side that maybe just needs some additional finessing that isn't really extended toward either of her party members. Also why there wasn't much to the soup besides the poison, there are still plenty of revelations to come as we continue through the monastery and things are going to slowly just get worse and worse for everybody.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I guess there's something else to fear in Wales other than the roving bands of All-Male choirs. *Insert Welsh flag with crying dragon here*

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
I remember renting this a few times when it originally came out but never managing to finish it because I made some really terrible decisions with my party. Looking forward to your lp.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

zeroskippy posted:

I remember renting this a few times when it originally came out but never managing to finish it because I made some really terrible decisions with my party. Looking forward to your lp.
It does kinda show why I think most RPG's just left it up to RNG for the most part when it comes to stat allotment...cause yeah, you can easily just do something like putting all your points into luck thinking it'll increase item finding or crit chance and then just getting totally murdered.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I really enjoyed Koudelka, and I wish we had more horror-themed RPGs out there. Shadow Hearts really stood alone and even now, there's very little like it. The main thing that annoyed me about Koudelka was the weapons breaking seemingly at random. Having to rely on your fists the entire way through the game never stopped being annoying. Having to rely on random drops, both for your weapons and gear made for a really uneven difficulty curve as well. Makes me wonder if the game was balance tested very well.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
This is a good game to LP. I certainly had more fun watching someone play the game than playing it myself. It felt so rough and unpolished the whole time.

With each Shadow Hearts the darker themes got lighter and the game more fun to play. Shadow Hearts 2 felt more like a Final Fantasy game than its own identity, and Shadow Hearts 3 went full blown crazy anime.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I really enjoyed Koudelka, and I wish we had more horror-themed RPGs out there. Shadow Hearts really stood alone and even now, there's very little like it. The main thing that annoyed me about Koudelka was the weapons breaking seemingly at random. Having to rely on your fists the entire way through the game never stopped being annoying. Having to rely on random drops, both for your weapons and gear made for a really uneven difficulty curve as well. Makes me wonder if the game was balance tested very well.

Apparently for most of the development time, the team disagreed with each other on how the game should play. The lead designer wanted it to be more Survival Horror than JRPG while others wanted it to be more JRPG than Survival Horror and the end result is a kind of weird compromise that doesn't quite work, so I wouldn't be surprised if properly balancing the game was given a low priority by the end.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I once heard a stage actor mention that early 3D games really owed a lot to theatre, since they didn't have the resolution for facial expressions and had to rely on posture & body language. What we've seen so far of this game has some really expressive animation.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Sweet, I never got my hands on that game, but I really enjoyed playing Shadow Hearts.

I really hope Koudelka keeps her you're-all-idiots-attitude for a while longer.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Hel posted:

I once heard a stage actor mention that early 3D games really owed a lot to theatre, since they didn't have the resolution for facial expressions and had to rely on posture & body language. What we've seen so far of this game has some really expressive animation.

Yeah these cutscenes are fantastic for in-engine ps1 cutscenes.

Overall though I can see some of the confusion the dev team was going through. The game definitely looks like it's trying to split the difference between horror and JRPG, and ending up kind of a watered down version of both. It seems like it would be a tricky balance for anyone to pull off.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Do you plan on LPing the Shadow Hearts games afterwards as well? The only one that hasn't been done is Shadow Hearts 3, simultaneously the zaniest and also most fun to play of the series. This game definitely does have great voice acting, even now, and really great model work. Shadow Hearts 1 carries the expressive models to an extent, but it's a shame the VA was either poorly or not at all translated.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Yeah the voice acting was amazing for the time, especially coming from the resident evil games to this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Do you plan on LPing the Shadow Hearts games afterwards as well? The only one that hasn't been done is Shadow Hearts 3, simultaneously the zaniest and also most fun to play of the series. This game definitely does have great voice acting, even now, and really great model work. Shadow Hearts 1 carries the expressive models to an extent, but it's a shame the VA was either poorly or not at all translated.
Eh, it's unlikely. The only reason this one feels feasible to me to LP is because it's relatively short and there's not much lost by editing down what's presented (though even now the updates are a bit longer than I would normally want them to be), the other games though are more full length 30+ hour affairs that I doubt I could carry.

zeroskippy posted:

Yeah the voice acting was amazing for the time, especially coming from the resident evil games to this.
Well it's good to realize that this game came out about 3-4 years after the first Resident Evil and it might not be the best comparison. I think it's better to look at something like Galerians or Parasite Eve (two other games that I feel pretty easily fit into the horror RPG field) and see that they either had very bland, flat voice acting or just no voice acting at all.

Cathode Raymond posted:

Yeah these cutscenes are fantastic for in-engine ps1 cutscenes.

Overall though I can see some of the confusion the dev team was going through. The game definitely looks like it's trying to split the difference between horror and JRPG, and ending up kind of a watered down version of both. It seems like it would be a tricky balance for anyone to pull off.
What's even more strange is the weird mishmash of multiple RPG ideas in the game; the weapon durability seems utterly disconnected from how weapon skill levels (which is something I'll cover more in a future video), and likewise magic seems more akin to Secret of Mana where instead of just getting Fire 2 by leveling the player you instead just have to cast Fire a certain number of times to wit it'll permanently be more expensive to cast and you'll be able to hit multiple enemies at once. It's sometimes very strange systems that just don't seem to meld well together.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So as our story unfolds inside Nemeton Monastery, we find that it's not just the murderous old couple that we have to worry about but also internal strife for our party members....and a whole lot of supernatural malevolent forces.

And speaking of pure malevolence, our bonus update this time around is going to involve some backstory for Nemeton: Bonus 2- Guard's Diary

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I was watching this on youtube and I didn't realise you'd made a thread for this! I'd heard of Shadow Hearts but I'd never heard of Koudelka. I have a real soft spot for the very early 3D era on the PS1, it's a wonderful time full of pre-rendered backgrounds and weird RPGs. I hope there's an indie revival at some point.

I'm with everyone else in being super impressed at the voice acting and animations in this, it's fantastic work and it really sells the whole setting and cast. Does the whole game take place in the monastery?

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Fun fact for the bonus video: gaol is pronounced the same way as jail, which is what a gaol is. I don't know why this is pronounced this way either. That's the English language for ya.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I was watching this on youtube and I didn't realise you'd made a thread for this! I'd heard of Shadow Hearts but I'd never heard of Koudelka. I have a real soft spot for the very early 3D era on the PS1, it's a wonderful time full of pre-rendered backgrounds and weird RPGs. I hope there's an indie revival at some point.

I'm with everyone else in being super impressed at the voice acting and animations in this, it's fantastic work and it really sells the whole setting and cast. Does the whole game take place in the monastery?
Yeah, we never leave the monastery (and I even think that initial map we get is probably about 40%, or more, of the total game's environment), we never get more party members, and I think we only have one more spell to unlock. The game front loads a lot of stuff since the overall experience is fairly short when you compare it to other RPG's.

savixeon posted:

Fun fact for the bonus video: gaol is pronounced the same way as jail, which is what a gaol is. I don't know why this is pronounced this way either. That's the English language for ya.
Yeah, I stumbled a bit on that and I probably should have looked up how it was pronounced. But I decided to take the high road and just come across ill-informed.

VVVV
Aye, I'm not saying you're trying to disparage me or anything. I just know that I can sometimes butcher words or phrases (like saying 'intensive purposes')

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 26, 2017

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, I stumbled a bit on that and I probably should have looked up how it was pronounced. But I decided to take the high road and just come across ill-informed.

Nothing against you, I just only found out about that weird pronunciation recently when I heard it in a game and I looked it up to see if the voice actor messed up or their script differed from the dialogue. I just like sharing weird tidbits of information.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Is there anything more wonderful than pelting foes with barrels and crates?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4uNhrOF2s

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I am actually pretty impressed with the voice acting considering this is a PS1 game and I've played this before but somehow had forgotten how good the voice acting is. Kind of a shame Shadow Hearts doesn't continue that tradition even if I'd argue they're better games overall than Koudelka.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Covenant and From the New World have pretty good voice acting, with some rough spots. This game has them, too, but I think the writing for the voiced dialogue is a lot better than most of what's in the SH games.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I am actually pretty impressed with the voice acting considering this is a PS1 game and I've played this before but somehow had forgotten how good the voice acting is. Kind of a shame Shadow Hearts doesn't continue that tradition even if I'd argue they're better games overall than Koudelka.
Yeah, while I've never played any of the other Shadow Hearts games, it's pretty easy to appreciate the voice acting in this. It's fairly well written too, even if James and Edward come across initially as just caricatures, the voice actors really sell the characters. James with his overly self-righteous demeanor hiding a broken moral compass that seems less based in reality and more based on what society on the whole will allow. Edward on the other hand seems pretty devil may care with his life, seemingly seeking out danger without really knowing what to do when the danger presents itself. Both characters seem pretty naive and very apt to tell you that they're not; that their world view is right and you're wrong or misguided. Meanwhile Koudelka just sighs and tries to survive the night cause that is the most pressing matter; especially now that we know that it's not just a few random murders done by an elderly couple that is waiting inside the walls of the monastery.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah, while I've never played any of the other Shadow Hearts games, it's pretty easy to appreciate the voice acting in this. It's fairly well written too, even if James and Edward come across initially as just caricatures, the voice actors really sell the characters. James with his overly self-righteous demeanor hiding a broken moral compass that seems less based in reality and more based on what society on the whole will allow. Edward on the other hand seems pretty devil may care with his life, seemingly seeking out danger without really knowing what to do when the danger presents itself. Both characters seem pretty naive and very apt to tell you that they're not; that their world view is right and you're wrong or misguided. Meanwhile Koudelka just sighs and tries to survive the night cause that is the most pressing matter; especially now that we know that it's not just a few random murders done by an elderly couple that is waiting inside the walls of the monastery.

A lot of voice acting has different actors record their lines separately for scheduling reasons, but this game definitely sounds like everyone was in the booth at the same time when they were recording. The characters play off and respond to each other really well.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The voice cast did the motion capture and were recorded doing the dialogue. I believe the cast had a background in theatre, which is why it feels so naturalistic, especially compared to games of the era (hell, even compared to a fair few games today). It's been a while since I last saw it, but there should be footage of the mocap sessions on Youtube. These days, it's pretty much standard practice to produce games like that, but back then, it was highly unusual.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The voice cast did the motion capture and were recorded doing the dialogue. I believe the cast had a background in theatre, which is why it feels so naturalistic, especially compared to games of the era (hell, even compared to a fair few games today). It's been a while since I last saw it, but there should be footage of the mocap sessions on Youtube. These days, it's pretty much standard practice to produce games like that, but back then, it was highly unusual.

So kinda similar to the production of the first Siren game? That's pretty cool.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Ya know, that actually makes me wonder if the Japanese version of the game kept the English voice actors. I'll probably see if I can dig up an iso of it to check, but that might also explain why it got a North American release before the Japanese release. Cause usually Japanese games don't do that even to nowadays. Or maybe there was some other deeper story there.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ya know, that actually makes me wonder if the Japanese version of the game kept the English voice actors. I'll probably see if I can dig up an iso of it to check, but that might also explain why it got a North American release before the Japanese release. Cause usually Japanese games don't do that even to nowadays. Or maybe there was some other deeper story there.

I did a quick search on Youtube and that does appear to be the case - English voice track, Japanese subtitles. Weird.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Didn't Resident Evil and Devil May Cry only have English voices? So it's not unheard of at least.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

Didn't Resident Evil and Devil May Cry only have English voices? So it's not unheard of at least.
Yeah, I definitely know Resident Evil did it. Maybe they just want to keep English voice actors when it's fits the games thematically?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The dev team did visit Wales to scout the setting out, so it makes sense.

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
I love the constant bickering between the party members.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I definitely know Resident Evil did it. Maybe they just want to keep English voice actors when it's fits the games thematically?
The Silent Hill series, too, likely since they all took place in/near Silent Hill (or at least outside Japan).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not sure if you know this, but the buff spells will have the opposite effect if you cast them on the enemies and it'll debuff them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not sure if you know this, but the buff spells will have the opposite effect if you cast them on the enemies and it'll debuff them.
I do know this but it's not something I've found to be super effective yet. I guess it might have been useful against the dark clones but the game doesn't start to get hard for a bit.

• Locked thread