Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Losing streaks suck, yeah, but they happen. So do winning streaks, which are more fun but sick with us less. Try requeueing, or maybe take a break. Sometimes you're just having an off day, and getting frustrated is only going to make you play worse. I used to play a lot of Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm, and am keenly aware of how much a losing streak blows. :smith:

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

I wasn't trying to make the dorkiest squid, but here I am, looking like a dork.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Flowers posted:

I wasn't trying to make the dorkiest squid, but here I am, looking like a dork.

I wouldn't let you into my shop

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zelder posted:

On The one hand he's right that mega threads tend to be overly positive and way too harsh oh criticism but on the other hand he's be banned from the switch thread and the rock band due to terminal angry brain internet posting so lol at that

sad and funny but mostly sad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zelder posted:

On The one hand he's right that mega threads tend to be overly positive and way too harsh oh criticism but on the other hand he's be banned from the switch thread and the rock band due to terminal angry brain internet posting so lol at that

Criticism is good. Somebody in the switch thread was upset about trying to get a big party together and that seems fair. In salmon run you can invite friends and THEN invite randoms, so you can make sure friends get in first. But you can't seem to do that with turf war I think, and that's an oversight. You get matched into a game of 7 people and all your friends have to wait a round or two for other people to drop. You can do premade ranked though I think? But then I think you need 4 people? Or is that just splatfest?

But saying objectively wrong things that are very quickly verified like "they didn't change anything, even the city is the same" :lol: that's disingenuous and doesn't deserve respect.

You could cut out the multi and still have an entirely new game here just between new single player and salmon run, much less all the graphics and level changes.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I just want to say gently caress level 18 of story mode. It's the only level I've gotten a Game Over on, and it's because of one goddamn jump :argh:

Specifically the one at the top of the spiral-ey rail around a tower that you snipe 3 guys in the tower as you go up it. There's a squid ring telling you where to jump, but every time I go for it I fly off the tower and die instead.

Anyone know how to land that one?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oh I know. Brosephine isn't actually worth engaging with

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

The food truck tickets list 20 qty. Do those seem to be use them and they're gone forever type items?

The buff from your meal lasts twenty matches.

Icedude posted:

I just want to say gently caress level 18 of story mode. It's the only level I've gotten a Game Over on, and it's because of one goddamn jump :argh:

Specifically the one at the top of the spiral-ey rail around a tower that you snipe 3 guys in the tower as you go up it. There's a squid ring telling you where to jump, but every time I go for it I fly off the tower and die instead.

Anyone know how to land that one?

Wait til you're actually beside it rather than approaching it. Treat it like a parallel rail, if that makes sense?

Speaking of story mode, I was a little disappointed that Judd Jr's origins were just "plug the pod back in and it'll clone another Judd". I was hoping for something weirder. The Salmonid Sunken Scrolls were pretty good though.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 22, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The Bloop posted:

The food truck tickets list 20 qty. Do those seem to be use them and they're gone forever type items?

That's how long the food lasts. It means 20 matches per meal.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can do premade ranked though I think? But then I think you need 4 people? Or is that just splatfest?

Splatfest is 4 people only for premade. Ranked is single queue only, though I think you can join your friends if they're playing? If you can it won't guarantee you'll be on the same team. League is teams of either 2 (where two teams are then placed against two other teams) or 4 (where teams are placed against other teams of 4).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Splat balloons still pretty worthless

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Onean posted:

Splatfest is 4 people only for premade. Ranked is single queue only, though I think you can join your friends if they're playing? If you can it won't guarantee you'll be on the same team. League is teams of either 2 (where two teams are then placed against two other teams) or 4 (where teams are placed against other teams of 4).

Ah yeah league is what I was thinking of. 2 or 4 is pretty workable. If you've got 3 you're stuck trying to queue together but :shrug: makes sense.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I haven't seen the shops update ever whenever there's a map/mode change so I'm guessing it's once a day or something

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Splat balloons still pretty worthless

Yeah I used them for a bit and they were incredibly underwhelming. Then I moved to those triangle things and suddenly I learned what getting kills with grenades felt like.

Also I freaking love the Off the Hook time that plays before maps are announced with Marinas backing vocals and Pearls little squid phrase. Also that dj scratch every map announcement is so drat satisfying.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
There's a page on the app that shows your average number of splats per round, and next to it there's a fractional number in parenthesis. Anybody know what that number is? It can't possibly be a k/d ratio, right? drat game doesn't even expose deaths.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only real bummer type thing for me is that getting all the stickers in the hubs didn't do anything. Was kinda expecting SOME kind of reward.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

There's a page on the app that shows your average number of splats per round, and next to it there's a fractional number in parenthesis. Anybody know what that number is? It can't possibly be a k/d ratio, right? drat game doesn't even expose deaths.

Those are assists

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I met Splatoon 2

Also my squid kid with a fresh pair of dualies

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"Forced 50% win rate"

:gitgud:

Gimbal lock posted:

The parenthesis is indeed your average being splatted. Edit: ok maybe not

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 22, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Also as someone who's plainly played this game a lot more than most:

Matchmaking is dropping people a bit, but I'm confident a patch is coming for that given MK8D & the original game both getting tweaked for such behavior.

The specials in this game are much better than the last one. As someone else said there's no gently caress You I Win buttons anymore. Everything has a timing and can be countered but still gives the user the advantage with some good planning.

Lag is so much less than I was used to playing against Japan in S rank all the time. I can actually count the correct number of hits it takes to splat me and shots aren't coming out of the either. Also the couple people I've seen lagging are punished by the system instead of being gifted like Splat1. Honestly I've seen so little lag compared to what I'm used to I'm shocked. Part of this is the game plainly does its best to do regional match making before dropping back to world to find more players. I've only see like....4 kanji loaded names over hours and hours of play time.

Man the brush is no joke anymore. Roller changes are great. Pretty happy with all the weapons. Balloons are kinda weak because in the last game they were stupidly OP and a big part of the reason damage up has been removed. That was really stupid and glad it's gone.

Towers is a poo poo map and playing it on splatzones is indeed a very bad idea. Why that of all things came back loving baffles me. I guess Japanese players liked it a lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

God damnit people are lovely at salmon run. Can't play it at higher difficulties with randoms anymore. Gonna have to be premades from now on.

Nintendo is there a way to reset my salmon run rank so I can play easy maps again? These players you're matching me with just can't do this poo poo. They don't understand it.

If there's a boss right next to the turn-in location don't go fight some boss far away where you'll just get surrounded and have to carry the eggs, fight the boss close by and let them come to you. Its so basic...
I guess the earlier levels convinced people they could just run around and do whatever, but on harder levels you must stick together as a team.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

God damnit people are lovely at salmon run. Can't play it at higher difficulties with randoms anymore. Gonna have to be premades from now on.

Nintendo is there a way to reset my salmon run rank so I can play easy maps again? These players you're matching me with just can't do this poo poo. They don't understand it.

Get in discord, let's get a group going. We've been getting to 3 of 4 all morning.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Salmon Run is fun but the t-shirt is ugly and nobody understands how to fight the Fishflys which sucks because they're the most obnoxious enemy type by far.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Get in discord, let's get a group going. We've been getting to 3 of 4 all morning.

Why is there no discord link in the OP

Rexroom get on it

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Why is there no discord link in the OP

Rexroom get on it

Add me, I'm setting up a lobby SW-6462-9483-1031.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh also people should really get more on that "this way" chat command because unless you're fighting the god of squidkids and/or are both small children, having a numbers advantage is an easy way to win any fight and you'll get the map covered faster.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Add me, I'm setting up a lobby SW-6462-9483-1031.

Sent.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lobby is up, for glowflies, make sure you head to the bow of the ship when you're "it" -- for grillers make sure you stay to one side of the ship towards the bow so the rest can get around behind it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got put into a Salmon Run with only one other person. We exchanged booyahs, ran down to the shore, then tunnel visioned on a stinger and were smacked into the water by a cohok. Shortest games ever.

Mr. Grizz docked me 3/4 of a paygrade for it :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Y'all got too greedy, we need to hang back a bit and fight near the turn-in location, if there's more than one boss we need to focus one at a time together.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The uh..rail gun special thing in salmon rush doesn't actually hurt the balloon head guys so you can be less useful by using a special I guess.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Is there a guide to maxing out bonuses or whatever to get money/unlocks faster?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is there a guide to maxing out bonuses or whatever to get money/unlocks faster?

Money: play the game a lot. There's no strategy. Eat foods/drinks when you get em for bonuses. That's it. Its a kid's game.

Maxing out bonuses: talk to Merch

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah I meant money/xp. So just use the coupons immediately when you get em eh

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

How does the Salmon Run reward system work, you get to a certain level and then get cash? Do you get to upgrade your default loadout eventually or is this dependant on each round giving you a new gun?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Do the meal tickets stack so I can have cash and xp up at the same time, or a 50% and 100% meal for 150%?

Or is it one at a time and they overwrite the last one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DLC Inc posted:

How does the Salmon Run reward system work, you get to a certain level and then get cash? Do you get to upgrade your default loadout eventually or is this dependant on each round giving you a new gun?

Every day you get a reward ticket that goes up to 1200. Every 200 points you get a bonus which you get from the window outside. The bonuses can be cash, chunks, and meal tickets. You also get a piece of gear that can be sold for cash once you get duplicates.

Also your loadout in Salmon Run is always determined by the current map. Deal with what Mr.Grizz loans you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do you switch weapons in single player? Sheldon showed up and told me to borrow weapons from him in single player which would let me unlock them for multi-player but I don't see how to do that. His shop just tells me I have to level up in multiplayer before I can buy anything (I'm away from Wi-Fi for a bit so I can't)