Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pointing out, just as in the last LP, that mark is definitely in the wrong place to be from a hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stroth posted:

Pointing out, just as in the last LP, that mark is definitely in the wrong place to be from a hanging.

Of course, it's possible that's not a clue, and the makers of the game simply got where the mark from a hanging would be wrong. Good eye either way though.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Stephen9001 posted:

Of course, it's possible that's not a clue, and the makers of the game simply got where the mark from a hanging would be wrong. Good eye either way though.

They're generally pretty good about that sort of thing though.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stroth posted:

They're generally pretty good about that sort of thing though.

True, just pointing it out as a possibility, everyone can makes mistakes after all. If I had to, I'd bet on it being deliberate, but it wouldn't be a full confidence bet.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Monobear only made one of those Monomi bags, right?

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Edit: I'm playing along myself and couldn't remember if it was covered in the LP so redacting in case of spoiler.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Glazius posted:

I think it was a prize if you watched a terrible movie?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of movie, was that the cause of the "Disease" that people got? Because the people who did not see it seems to also be the ones who never caught it. I don't know what that has to do with anything but there you go.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tombot posted:

Speaking of movie, was that the cause of the "Disease" that people got? Because the people who did not see it seems to also be the ones who never caught it. I don't know what that has to do with anything but there you go.

Monokuma claimed that it was transmitted by small insects that nobody had seen. Presumably, they bit people, and infected them that way. It doesn't really matter how they got it, as Monokuma cured everyone who was infected.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
It says Ibuki died of a "crushed windpipe caused by choking". Except that, as Handsome Jack tells us: "choking is something you do when you eat too fast. As I'm crushing Mister Moorin's windpipe with my watch chain, what I'm doing is actually referred to as strangling." which makes it sound like choking can't crush your windpipe.

Wikipedia says that suspension hanging kills by strangulation... could someone be strangled to the point that they choke on their own windpipe? I don't know, this is probably me being overly pedantic about what could just be a minor translation error.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's not really a translation error when choking is commonly used to refer to strangulation. :shrug:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The Monobear file could have said that Ibuki died of asphyxiation. I think the fact that it said "choking" is significant.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Monobear file could have said that Ibuki died of asphyxiation. I think the fact that it said "choking" is significant.

Holy poo poo, that would explain the bag. Ibuki was choked to death, then hanged later. The person in the video isn't actually Ibuki, it's the killer. The bag is to disguise the identity swap.

I mean, that still leaves a million other little things unexplained, but drat.

In fact, I think I just realized one. Was the candle still lit when everyone first arrived on the scene? If not, then how did it get put out? It clearly wasn't burned all the way down.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Candle is another piece of evidence of projecting a false sense of timing with the video, it means it was done when light from the studio would have drawn attention. Only reason to be secretive while doing it while also broadcasting it is that the public broadcast is a sham and the secrecy occurred earlier.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We'll start this update by examining Hiyoko's body.

Hiyoko's body is suspended against the pillar on the side of the stage. She's wrapped against the pillar with duct tape, and she looks like she was forced to stand upright.

: Dammit! Who did this!?

According to the Monokuma File, her cause of death was a slit throat... Her neck looks like it's stopped bleeding, probably because of the duct tape wrapped around it...

: But...why is Hiyoko's kimono like this?

Her kimono is all disheveled... Also, her sash is tied in the front... Did...the killer do this, too?

But...when did the killer kill Hiyoko?

When I first discovered Ibuki's body, I didn't see Hiyoko's body here... If that's the case, Hiyoko was killed...

It must've been during the time I was getting everyone before I came back here... But that was barely ten minutes. Is it really possible that the killer killed Hiyoko and taped her up in such a short amount of time?

Even if it is possible...whoever did it would've had a narrow window of time to do so. Because the killer must be someone who doesn't have an alibi during that time, right?

: Ah, Hajime! Do you have a minute!?
: ...No. You're in the way.
: I don't wish to be in your way at all, but there's something I really need your help with.
: ...Help?

: If you look closely...there's an unnatural shape bulging from inside Hiyoko's kimono. So...I was thinking she might be hiding something...
: Wait, hold on... Don't tell me you want me to search inside Hiyoko's kimono.
: Huh? That's exactly it.
: Well...it would've been a problem if she were alive, but she's dead now, you know?
: Don't mess with me! Are you saying there's no problem with that now that she's dead!?

: F-Fine... If you don't want to do it, I'll just have to ask someone else.
: Heeeey Akane!
: Yo, what's up?
: Well, there's something I want you to do for me. It looks like there's something inside Hiyoko's kimono, so can you feel around for that?

: Hm? I don't really understand, but I just gotta check Hiyoko's kimono, right?
: Thank you, Akane! Helping each other is such a wonderful thing!

: Hmm...let's see...

Akane reached through the duct tape binding Hiyoko as she stuck her hand inside her kimono...

: Dammit...she's tied up so tight, I can't really reach with my hand... Oh, wait, hold on.

: There's somethin'. Is this what you were looking for?
: Is this...a key?
: It looks different than the keys to the cottage... So this may be the key to her motel room.

The key to her motel room, huh...?

: If her key was so deep inside her kimono that it'd be hard to remove... Then it's very unlikely that the killer tampered with this evidence.
: Because if this is a trap, they would've put it more toward the front of her kimono so we'd notice it easier.

Which means we can conclude this is something Hiyoko had with her all along.

: Ah, also... It's not like I'm adding to that or anything... But you looked like you were curious about the condition of Hiyoko's body, right Hajime?
: Of course. That's why I'm investigating...
: It's true, there are several mysteries regarding her body.
: Well, just hear me out for a second. Out of all those mysteries, what I think is the strangest is...

: The way they wrapped her body with that duct tape. It's almost like they were trying to hide the wound on Hiyoko's neck, don't you think?
: ...Hide the wound on her neck?

: I don't really know if that was their true intention, but I guess it's a big help for our investigation. The reason for the low volume of blood is because the duct tape is acting as a compress, right?
: If her body was left alone after her throat was slit, the surrounding area would be a sea of blood.

A sea of blood, huh... Two dead bodies floating in a sea of blood... That's enough to make anybody faint...

There's a control panel on the wing of the stage. It seems you can use this control panel to raise and lower the baton lighting on the ceiling. In fact, we used this to lower Ibuki's hanged body.

: Speaking of the lighting, the video of the music venue I saw...

It had a dim, candlelit ambience to it...and it didn't look like this lighting was used at all. But why didn't they use this lighting? Was there some reason that would've inconvenienced them?

: I see... So you noticed it too, fiend.
: Huh? Noticed...?
: So you didn't notice? Hmph, are those eyes just little glass balls? Take a good look at the baton lighting above your head. Have you not noticed that aberrant item?

Look at the baton lighting...?

: ...You mean, that!? There's something that looks like black paper...stuck to the baton lighting...
: Center of the image, on the white ring if you can't see it.

: Kehehe...so you've finally noticed.
: But I can't really see it from here. I should lower the baton lighting one more time and...
: Hmph, there is no need...!

: Go, Mirage Golden Hawk Jum-P! Now is the time for you to take flight! Fuhaha! Feast your eyes upon the brave souls of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction!

A hamster launched itself from Gundham's hand, and ran up to the baton lighting on the ceiling in a flash...

: *Chuuu! Chuuu!*

It started running around the stuck slip of paper in rapid circles.

And then...the paper fluttered down and was deftly caught by Gundham.

: Fuhahaha! Did you see that!? Behold the power of the Ultimate Evil Eye Wielder!
: Wow! That is amazing! I have never seen a hamster do tricks!
: ...They're my Four Dark Devas of Destruction. Hamsters are merely their temporary form.
: So what's with that paper?

: Hmm...it seems to be some kind of thick paper, though it does not have any special spells scribed onto it...
: Hmph, it appears it's nothing useful.
: ...

No...that's not it... There's no doubt...this is some kind of clue. I mean...the fact that it was stuck in a place like that, no matter how we think about it, is too unnatural.

: That's finally everything that was up on the stage so let's start seeing what else is in the rest of the music venue and talk to some of the others.

The shattered remains of a machine are spread all over the floor...

: This appears to be the surveillance camera unit.
: Kazuichi put it in the music venue for communication purposes... Hmph, why's it destroyed like this?
: Perhaps criminal psychology is at play here?
: What do you mean?

: Even if they know they are not being recorded, there is no way the killer would tolerate committing a murder in front of a camera.
: So that's why they destroyed the camera... Hmph, seems plausible enough.

They'd hesitate to murder someone in front of a camera...and that's why the killer destroyed this...? Then...what was that thing I saw?

: Fyuuu... If only I'd noticed sooner, Ibuki might've been saved...
: Hey, when did you realize Ibuki was missing?
: Um... After leaving Nagito's room, I went to the on-call room...and that's when it came to me...that I should go check on how everyone in the hospital is doing...one more time before I go to sleep. *Hic!* And so, I went to the patient rooms...and...noticed that Ibuki was gone... So...I quickly ran out of the hospital...
: So that's what happened...
: And then...I saw Fuyuhiko in front of the hospital, so I asked him if he could help me look for Ibuki...

: Huh? That reminds me, where were you? I thought you were resting in the lobby...
: That...is a long story...
: A-wa-wa! I'm sorry! I-It's not like I doubt you or anything!
: Th-There's no way I'd doubt you. 'Cause...we've been together...since this morning...
: You're right... We were together until you went to the on-call room...

: Th-That's right... We were together until just a little before the morning Monokuma Announcement... S-So...I don't doubt you...I'm telling the truth...
: Um...is it all right if I continue with my autopsy...? If you...talk to me again later, I'll tell you what I know...
: S-So please! Spare my life, at least! *leaves*

What happened to not doubting me?

: It has happened once again... Two of my cherished friends died at the same time... I cannot believe it.
: This is the place where...Ibuki sang for Fuyuhiko... Hiyoko...looked like she was having so much fun listening to her music...
: And now those two are no longer here... Ah...such a tragedy...!
: ...I understand how you feel, but please get ahold of yourself. Two of our friends were killed...That's all the more reason why we can't just leave this alone, right?
: ...We must do this then. For the sake of the two who have fallen...

: Hey, are you okay? Are you still...not feeling well?
: Huh? Yeah...I don't really get it but... When I think about Nekomaru...it's like...my knees start shakin'...

: That's weird... There's no way...I've got that kinda weakness. It'd prolly go away if I battled a strong dude, but Nekomaru's not here...
: ...Nekomaru will definitely come back.
: You...you're right...

: Fuhaha! Did you direct your gaze to the brave stature of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction!?
: We probably could've talked to Gundham before examining the baton lighting but I didn't so I missed whatever he had to say. Considering this is all he says now and I have no way to go back and see what I missed without reloading a save, I don't think whatever I missed was important to the investigation.

: Hajime...this might be impudent of me to ask but... Will you listen to what I have to say?
: I heard that you witnessed the incident from the very beginning, right?
: ...So what?
: Can you provide me with a summary of the incident? I need to reach the truth behind this incident. For the sake of dedicating my body to...an even greater hope...
: No.

: ...Why?
: Don't make me repeat myself...no!

This guy just wants to confuse us... There's no way I'm going to tell him what he wants to know!

: ...I see, that's disappointing.

: Hey Hajime...take a look at this.
: Hm? What...?
: Look what's in front of the door.

: This...is a drumstick, right? And it looks like it's broken... What happened to it?
: If something like that is in front of the door...
: You think it might be a really big clue?
: ...Why would this be a clue?
: Remember when we came to the music venue?

: If it won't open, the only thing we can do is force our way through!
: Mmmm, I wonder if that's gonna be possible. Of the four of us, two of us are girls, you know?
: It doesn't matter if you can do it or not! We have to try!
: Let's go, we'll all charge at the same time! Ready, set...
: ...Gooooooooo!

At Fuyuhiko's signal, we charged into the door at full force.

*Bam!*

: The door was locked when we tried to go inside, and the four of us charged into the door...
: But...when I examined it, I found out that this door doesn't have a lock at all.
: ...Huh?

: The door is designed to be pushed open... And this is the shape of the handle... If a stick was used to bar the door here...
: Well? Don't you think it would lock the door and keep it from opening?
: You mean...you think this drumstick was used to lock the door?

: The broken drumstick on the floor in front of the door should be proof of that...
: Then...how was the killer able to get out?
: I mean, the music venue doesn't even have windows. This door is the only entrance. If they locked the door from the inside, the killer wouldn't be able to escape outside...

: Maybe... The killer was still inside when we broke down the door to the music venue... And they waited until we were already at the scene of the crime to join us...?
: You know, don't they use tricks like that a lot in mystery dramas and stuff?
: ...If that's the case, there might be evidence of that around here somewhere.
: All righty, I'm definitely gonna find it...! I won't let the killer get away with this...!

The killer was still inside when we broke down the door to the music venue, huh... Like he said, that might be possible but...

: ...I heard what you two were discussing.
: Chiaki... That was a kinda cool entrance...
: Besides the broken drumstick, I've also discovered something interesting.
: What is it?

: Look, there's a weird glob where the right and left door touch, see?
: You're right... What is this? It looks too firm to think it's rubber...
: Yeah, it doesn't look like rubber, but...

As she said that, Chiaki bent down, scraped off the semitransparent glob with her finger...

: ...Nom.
: Why are you putting it in your mouth!?
: Mmm...*chew chew*... Ah, it smells like workshop chemicals.
: Workshop...?
: And...this chewiness... I see...this thing may be a glob now, but that doesn't mean it was a glob from the start... For instance...if it was originally a liquid that hardened into this... It might be possible to apply it directly and smoothly in the gaps of the door.
: Wh-What are you talking about...?

: P'too! ...Just as I thought, it tastes nasty. *leaves*

Chiaki spat the glob out of her mouth and left the area.

: Besides that bit about the taste...it's okay to consider this some kind of clue, right?

: That's everything out in the main venue right now. Let's run the update a little longer and check the storage room for more clues.

There's a door that says "Staff Only"... Looks like the inside is a storage room. I might as well investigate in here, too.

: Oh great, Nagito is in here too. Let's avoid him as long as possible.

There's a lot of stickers with the venue's logo placed here. It's like they made a bunch of them and had too many left over... It feels somewhat depressing.

: Huh? Compared to last time, it feels like there are less stickers than before... Am I overthinking this?

There's carpeting, wallpaper, and paint on the shelf. It's probably used for stage decorations...

: ...Hm?

This thick, black paper that's folded up on the lower shelf... It looks like wallpaper... There are a lot of stickers pasted all over the front side of this wallpaper. And this edge of the wallpaper...

It looks a little torn but...what does this mean?

There's a lot of different musical instruments lined up here... I know about guitars and drums, but there are also instruments and machines that I've never seen before.

: But...they don't look like they pertain to the case.

You can see your whole body in this huge full-length mirror. It's probably used for checking costumes... With a mirror this big, it'd be easy to check how you look...

: Nagito...did you come here to investigate this storage room, too?
: I just wanted to confirm what you were thinking...

...Is that it? Or is he trying to stand guard here?

: So how about it? Did you find any clues? The tipped over stepladder on the stage, the duct tape binding Hiyoko... That probably all came from this storage room. There might be other things from this storage room that they used for the crime.
: You always pretend to give me hints...but in the end you're just going to be on the killer's side, right?
: Aww...I'm not siding with the killer, you know. I'm just on the side of whoever acts in the name of hope... That's all there is to it.

: That's the main reason why...this case is really special.
: ...But I can't say for certain, though.

What is this guy saying? As usual, he's not making any sense...

: By the way, Hajime... I still don't quite understand the details of what happened.
: Hey, if you can explain it to me in detail, I think I'd be able to give you some more useful information.
: ...Really? You might end up confusing us again instead. You don't want to find the truth... You just want to make us suffer.
: That's not true... I'm doing this because I believe it's for everyone's sake... Oh well... For the sake of everyone's hope, I'd gladly become the enemy, and I won't even mind when I die...

: That's the main reason why...I can't overlook this case this time...
: ...Huh? What does that mean?
: Regardless, I guess you're not gonna tell me, huh? Then it can't be helped. I guess I'll rely on my gut feelings.
: Gut feelings...?

: You should come by later, too. I'll go there first and wait for you.
: Where...exactly are you talking about?
: ...Well, obviously, the movie theater. *leaves*

After he said that, Nagito walked out of my sight.

: ...Movie theater?

Why...the sudden interest in the movie theater?

: Um...I guess that's everything important in this storage room...

...I guess I should go back to the music venue.

: Next time, investigation and a movie with Nagito?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

No, Hajime! You went 1.5 million dollars into debt to avoid watching that movie, why would you do it now just because someone died?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If he thinks that somebody just gave orders to Ibuki and didn't risk anything I can see why he'd be on the investigator side this time.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

hmm...

Hmmmm

This seems like a really convoluted plan on the killer's part

Edit:Also I just now noticed that the debris pile got bigger. What the heck.

LonelyMudkip fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Komaeda would probably make a good SHSL Detective if he wasn't so pants on head crazy.

Or maybe it's the fact that he's pants on head crazy that makes him such a good detective?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Qrr posted:

No, Hajime! You went 1.5 million dollars into debt to avoid watching that movie, why would you do it now just because someone died?

The company is more important than the activity on a first date :3:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That full length mirror has added a whole host of uncomfortable potential complications to this :ohdear:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Komaeda would probably make a good SHSL Detective if he wasn't so pants on head crazy.

Or maybe it's the fact that he's pants on head crazy that makes him such a good detective?

It helps that he's done this before.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

FPzero posted:

: ...Nom.
: Why are you putting it in your mouth!?
: Mmm...*chew chew*... Ah, it smells like workshop chemicals.
: Workshop...?
: And...this chewiness... I see...this thing may be a glob now, but that doesn't mean it was a glob from the start... For instance...if it was originally a liquid that hardened into this... It might be possible to apply it directly and smoothly in the gaps of the door.
: Wh-What are you talking about...?
: P'too! ...Just as I thought, it tastes nasty. *leaves*

Chiaki spat the glob out of her mouth and left the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuLkMBAFZg

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

"We made this sprite of Chiaki chewing and by god we're going to use it!"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

All right... With this, we might be close to finished investigating the music venue... But I still need to talk to Mikan... I need to make sure I get those autopsy results from her.

: We're almost done with the music venue now.

: How about it, Mikan? Have you found out anything by now?
: Uhuhuhuh...! To tell you the truth...it's been very inconclusive!
: But it's not my fault! This music venue is just too hot! B-Because of the heat, I can't estimate the time of death!
: Because of the heat...? Is that possible?

: If a body is overexposed to heat or cold, you won't be able to determine a precise time of death...

I see...that might've been the killer's goal. They covered up their time of death by using the heater to make the inside of the music venue hot... But...that's weird.

: E-Even if this heat is the killer's doing...is there any reason for them to cover up the time of death?
: I agree... As long as I saw it, it should be clear what order the murders occurred. First was Ibuki...then Hiyoko...

: And...as long as this is an imitation murder, there shouldn't be any mistaking the order of the murders...
: ...Huh? Imitation murder?
: Huh? You don't know, Hajime? I thought everyone already knew?

: It's a murder where the killer uses a creative work, like a song or a film, as an outline for their killings. It's so common in detective novels, mangas, and video games that you start to get annoyed by it.
: How would an imitation murder be related to this murder...?
: Well...based on the killing order and the way they were killed, it's clearly an imitation of that movie...

...That movie?

: The assumption is...an imitation murder is the reason why the killer killed two people.
: The goal was an imitation killer... Even so, why did they feel the need to do something like that?

: Excuse me, if this was really an imitation of that movie... Then is it possible that one more person might have been killed?
: It's certainly conceivable...if the killer wishes to complete the imitation...
: H-Hold on a sec! What are you all talking about? An "imitation murder"? One more person might have been killed...?

: Are you guys worried that there's gonna be another victim? Then nooooo worries! Things would get out of hand too fast if a bunch of people could be killed at once. I'm a reaaaaal cautious fella, so I've prepared a perfect countermeasure!
: Ahem! On this killing school trip, the same blackened can only kill a maximum of two people!
: ...You mean, you've added another rule?
: Well, if killing everyone at once is okay, the blackened would be able to secure an easy victory, right?

: This new rule will prevent that! Make sure you slam it into your tiny brains!
: If it is a maximum of two people...then there will not be any more killings?
: ...Since you're here anyway...can I ask you one more thing? You know...I just want to confirm one of the class trial rules...
: I see, I see. As expected of you, you're very strict about games.

: I don't want to consider this a possibility at all...and I don't even want to think someone would do this... If two cases occur at once...what happens if there are two killers?
: ...Eh?
: Like I said...I'm talking about the possibility that Ibuki and Hiyoko were killed by two different people. That would mean that two killers exist at the same time, but we can only vote for one person, right?
: If we can only choose one based on a majority vote, the other person could certainly achieve victory...
: Yeah, you're right.

: So what happens in that case? What about a case where there's three incidents instead of two? Or if four incidents overlap one another?
: Sh-Shuuuut uuuuuup!

: It's okay! I'll make extra sure something like that never happens!
: ...Meaning, two killers can't exist at the same time... So it's safe to say that applies to this case too, right?
: Ugh...!

: All right, fine, fine... That's right...there's always one killer at any given time... Even if they had an accomplice, I'd have you figure out who the mastermind is.
: Maaaan, I ended up giving you a huuuuge hint... She made me say it... Gamer brains are not to be underestimated... I should just shut up and go back to my cave... *leaves*

I see... So there's no possibility for two killers to exist at the same time... With this...I guess that narrows things down a little.

: ...Yep, that makes things a little easier.
: Plus, if the same killer can kill a maximum of two people...
: It means a third victim would be impossible! Imitation murder breakthrough!
: ...You guys keep saying that and it sounds strange to me. What do you guys mean by "imitation"?

: Ah, could it be...? You haven't seen it?
: Seen it...? Seriously, seen what?
: Like I said, that movie.
: When we first explored the island, Monokuma was passing out invitation tickets.
: Then the imitation is...

: Of course, it's an imitation of *that* movie.
: Well...based on the murders this time, it closely resembles that movie, as if they were copying it.

As if...they copied the movie... I see...Nagito mentioned something about that.

: Regardless, I guess you're not gonna tell me, huh? Then it can't be helped. I guess I'll rely on my gut feelings.
: Gut feelings...?
: You should come by later, too. I'll go there first and wait for you.
: Where...exactly are you talking about?
: ...Well, obviously, the movie theater.

: I see...so you haven't seen it. Still, it's not too late...I think. It's probably a good idea if you watch that movie before the class trial starts.
: Looks like...I need to do that.
: Then I should get going too. There are other places I want to investigate.

: ...Where do you intend to go next, Chiaki?
: Probably...the hospital, for sure. The first victim, Ibuki, was there... I don't know what was going on at the hospital in the first place...
: Thanks to that Despair Disease, we could not go there for some time...

She's right... It might be good for me to investigate the hospital, too... There might be some clues related to Ibuki's death. For clues related to Hiyoko's death, I should try going over to the motel.

There's still a lot of things I can do before the class trial. I'll definitely give it my all until the end...!

: We're finally done with the music venue. At this point we have three places we need to visit: the movie theater, the hospital and the motel.

: We're going to start with the movie theater.

: Why hello there, Hajime. I knew you'd come here. That means you noticed it too, right? The case this time is an imitation case in which the killer used that movie as their theme...
: I wouldn't know... I haven't watched the movie yet.
: I see...then you really should watch this movie first.
: Heeeey manager! A customer's here!

: Yesssssss! Didja call me!?
: ...Huh? Hajime's the customer?
: D-Do you have a problem with that...?

: Puhuhu... And you said you didn't wanna watch it...but I knew you wanted to see it all along! If that's what tsundere Hajime looks like, then you're really a tough guy!
: You were so devoted to being tsundere, you even bought the Monokuma Sticker for $1,500,000!
: ...You paid $1,500,000 for a sticker?
: I-It's nothing...!
: In exchange for not watching this movie, Hajime paid $1,500,000 for a Monokuma Sticker. C'mon, since we're talking about it anyway, why don't you show it to Nagito?
: ...S-Stop it!
: See, it's this one!

But my resistance was in vain, and Monokuma reached into my pocket and took the sticker...

"I'm sorry, I was born stupid"...

: Y-You bought *this* for $1,500,000...!?
: Puhuhu...but in the end, he's still gonna watch the movie.
: Wh-Who cares about that anymore! Just hurry up and give me an invitation ticket!

: Okaaaaay! Here ya go! It already says so on the invitation ticket, but it's only effective today at this time. By the way, I can only give away one ticket per person! You only have one chance to watch it for free!

: I've already stamped today's date onto the ticket, so you won't be able to cheat!
: Don't worry...I only plan to watch it once...
: Then I'll go prepare the projection reel. Please wait a bit, okaaaaay? *leaves*

: Ah, Hajime...about that invitation ticket, I strongly recommend you keep that safe.
: ...Huh? Why?
: No reason, just think of it as a protective charm.

I guess I should just wait until Monokuma finished his preparations...

: Hajime, I can't believe you bought that thing...and you paid $1,500,000 for it, too.
: But...even you said you should've just settled it with money to get out of seeing that movie.
: You're right but...that means I would've had to buy that thing...you know?
: J-Just leave me alone...

: Before we go in, there was something we needed to check at the Goods Corner.

That reminds me...that item should be on top of the counter.

This one...looks like a tote bag made of hemp cloth...with a decal of Monomi's face on it...

: Ah, did that catch your eye? It's an all-purpose tote bag useful for a variety of common tasks! It's a limited item! Only one person can have it!

If the tote bag is gone, that means...

: Whoa there, were you interested in buying that tote bag?
: Well that's just toooooo bad! It's already sold out!
: ...Who'd you sell it to?

: Stupid! There's no way I'd fall for that! There's no way I'd say something that'd reveal who the killer is!
: So the killer bought it?
: Ah! AHHHHHHHHHHH!
: I remember you said there was only one because it's a limited item, right?

: Ah, um... It's not limited to one...it's more like it's limited to one person...
: ...What's the difference?
: When you buy one bag, you get another one free. It's a common practice to bait customers with bonus prizes.
: For some reason...hearing you say that...pisses me off...

: Now then, I should forget that I carelessly made a slip of the tongue...
: Looks like the preparations are complete, so please enter the theater right away!
: Puhuhu...this is exciting! Exciting!

Music fades out.

: Let's get this over with.

*Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!*

: *over the loudspeaker* Um...I apologize for keeping you waiting. World famous director Monokuma presents a stunning masterpiece that reduced American audiences to tears...
: "The Wizard of Monomi 2.5D" will be screening shortly.

From the title alone...I have a bad feeling about this... "2.5D"...that sounds so half-assed...

: Now then, please relax and enjoy the film.

:siren: Click here to watch the movie! :siren:

Monokuma was born in a remote village full of old people because the death rates outpaced the birth rates.

One day, Monokuma was swept up by a tornado created by a helicopter gunship during a routine military exercise...

And was whisked away to Monomi's country.

Monokuma wanted to return to his homeland so he could go back to pestering the old people for change... So he began his journey to see the wizard, Monomi, who was rumored to grant any wish one desires. Along the way, he met a very loyal group of friends.

Monokuma met a Monomi scarecrow who was missing a brain. When he recommended that she commit suicide...

The Monomi scarecrow hanged herself and died.

He also met a Monomi lion who was missing her courage...

...so he pumped her full of arrows.

: (There was no clean screenshot for this, sorry)

After a lot of other stuff happened, Monokuma finally reached the Wizard Monomi, the great and powerful...

: (And then the game glitched out and didn't render Wizard Monomi properly until the next bit, oops)

Eventually, one thing led to another and he started beating the crap out of Monomi...

And in the end, he somehow usurped the kingdom from her.

With this, Monokuma enslaved the old people, took their pensiions, and lived the rest of his days in luxury.

And he lived happily ever after! The End!

Music fades out.

: Man, movies are the best! That drama was so moving that I needed *two* boxes of tissues! One for each head!
: Now then, let's meet again at the class trial! Goodbye, bye, bye! *leaves*

I'm too disgusted to even let out a sigh right now... That's all I can say to describe this situation...

: How was it...? Actually, I don't even have to ask. I totally expected your reaction.
: That was honestly the worst movie I've ever seen... Is it even okay to call that a movie?
: ...But thanks to that movie, now you know, right?
: Yeah...

Just like he said, the characters who were killed in the movie match the victims in this case...

Ibuki's death by hanging matched the scarecrow's death in the movie...

Not just that, but Hiyoko's suspended body matches the lion's death, too...

: It would've been a complete imitation if the killer killed 3 people, but it seems that wasn't possible...
: Perhaps the killer is upset about that right now? Or...

If the killer's main goal was just an imitation murder, they should be upset about it but... I'm not sure if that's even true.

: Next time, the hospital.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't wait for the plot twist that Chiaki played the DR1 video game and has been operating on a level of meta knowledge that no one else can even comprehend.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

I guess the ticket will be used to prove that Hajime couldn't be the killer. Being the only person to see the broadcast and also the only person to see Ibuki's body before Hiyoko's body would make him seem pretty suspicious.

The buy-one-get-one-free thing makes the broadcast originating from the hospital seem even more plausible, cause the killer could've easily had the crime scene set up in advance.

The imitation thing seems pretty fishy, cause if it was intentional than Akane would've been a victim rather than Hiyoko, given that she's the one who was "missing her courage." Also the cause of death doesn't match, and Hiyoko obviously wasn't killed second, so her death seems almost incidental. Like maybe the killer was only planning on imitating the first death, but Hiyoko got in the way somehow so they had to find a way to tie her into the pattern established by the film.

Which does not make a huge amount of sense, now that I think about it, but maybe they had a good reason for sticking to the imitation thing. I can't really think of any other reason for implementing the weird and risky as heck trick they did to obfuscate the order of death.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
So it's pretty clear that the killer had Ibuki kill Hiyoko, then hang herself. Hiyoko must have been in the venue because she was using the mirror to tie her kimono, which is why it was front-facing.

And the pile of debris totally matches the tin man.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I totally get that the video game was a dramatization of real events, and that might lead to people doing things based on the reality they forgot, but good lord what about that movie was even worth imitating?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Glazius posted:

but good lord what about that movie was even worth imitating?

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing the most useful thing to come out of this will be the time stamp on the tickets. The disease itself is still a much greater motivation than the movie.

Our boy Hajime is just not coming off too bright in this investigation so far, with bodies being moved and time of death shenanigans just flat out not occurring to him despite all the hints. Looks like Chiaki and Nagito will have to keep picking up the slack.

If we're going by the assumption Ibuki's body in the recording was fake, however...wouldn't that limit the killer to characters with similar body types?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zoe posted:

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing the most useful thing to come out of this will be the time stamp on the tickets. The disease itself is still a much greater motivation than the movie.

Our boy Hajime is just not coming off too bright in this investigation so far, with bodies being moved and time of death shenanigans just flat out not occurring to him despite all the hints. Looks like Chiaki and Nagito will have to keep picking up the slack.

If we're going by the assumption Ibuki's body in the recording was fake, however...wouldn't that limit the killer to characters with similar body types?

Why would it be fake? Its not like it would have been hard to pre record and tell her not to tell anyone. We did run into her in the hallways at weird hours after all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
As the only one who saw the transmission video, and the only one who saw only Ibuki hanging, and the only one who is saying that Saionji wasn't there and it was locked on his first visit, Hajime is a prime suspect. The ticket can prove that he didn't see the movie until after the bodies were found.

It seems almost certain that Saionji was killed first (accounting for the blood on Ibuki's slippers and the ladder), and her body was hidden behind a column of wallpaper until Hajime left the music venue. How exactly the killer managed to assemble a column of wallpaper which held up for even a passing glance AND was able to be easily taken down and stored in the short time between Hajimi leaving and returning is unclear, but apparently they managed that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I honestly just love and appreciate the Veronicas reference

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Actually: here's my theory (I shouldn't read this thread right before bed, it leads to me speculating rather than sleeping)

- Hiyoko was killed first. Since she had locked herself in her hotel room, nobody would've noticed for a while
- the killer arranged for the "hanging" video in the hospital: note that we never saw anyone get hanged and there are two monimi bags. Also the hanging video doesn't have hair hanging down like Ibuki
- at some point the killer hides Hiyoko's body with that paper, but leaves a bloodstain on the stage
- killer tells Ibuki to walk through the bloodstain (implicating her) and then either strangles or gets Ibuki to kill herself hoping they'll accuse Ibuki of Hiyoko's murder and win
- killer cleans up blood

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It just occurred to me - is Hajime keeping the whole thing about seeing the hanging on the video to himself? I don't remember him mentioning it right off, and I'm not sure why they're all immediately jumping to the conclusion of two murders when Ibuki's at first glance would seem to be a suicide.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Actually: here's my theory (I shouldn't read this thread right before bed, it leads to me speculating rather than sleeping)

It's far worse when you are playing it right before bed. At least I started the second half of the game in the morning, so I had finished it by the time I went to bed.

Also, I don't think that it was mentioned before, but the sticker Hajime bought was given out with the Limited edition version of this game on the PS Vita.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

LonelyMudkip posted:

I guess the ticket will be used to prove that Hajime couldn't be the killer. Being the only person to see the broadcast and also the only person to see Ibuki's body before Hiyoko's body would make him seem pretty suspicious.

Reading through again (after the first thread), I notice that the ticket proves nothing of the sort. Hajime could have been told about the movie by either of the two victims before he murdered them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BlazeEmblem posted:

Also, I don't think that it was mentioned before, but the sticker Hajime bought was given out with the Limited edition version of this game on the PS Vita.

How appropriate!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hey hey, finally back and able to catch up with this thread.

So this case :stare:

I'm getting some Robo-Justice vibes from the first game when they had their double homicide. With what Mikan said about the temperature throwing off the autopsy time, this means that either one of them could have died at any time and we have no clue as to when.

Currently my bet is on the figure that appeared climbing the stepladder was actually the killer setting up the broadcast. They either had Ibuki kill Hiyoko or just had her walk around zombie like to get some blood on her and set up the crime scene. I feel like the "compress on the neck to stop the bleeding line" is the game saying that Hiyoko was killed way earlier and preserved somehow to set this scene up (she was MIA for a couple days during the disease outbreak). I'm thinking the game is setting up a subversion, she was the main victim, and maybe Ibuki walked in on the scene somehow (since she was wandering around the hospital earlier, she may have gotten out).

This one seems like a stumper though, waiting to see more clues.

Also I'm tied for bottom 3 for last place on survivor guessing :negative:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I believe that there is a zero percent chance that Ibuki killed either Hiyoki or herself. That just doesn't make sense.

quote:

: Be careful Ibuki! Hajime's dangerous. He wants to kill you and eat you.
: Wh-What are you saying!?
: Mr. Hajime! I am not tasty! Please do not eat me!
: He's obviously lying!
: I see! So it was a lie!
: It's not a lie. I never tell lies.
: I see! So it is not a lie! It may be necessary for me to beg for my life after all!

Ibuki still has a sense of self-preservation, so I think that it's unlikely that she would be willing to commit suicide. Besides, her autopsy report suggests she was choked, not hung.

I don't think she killed Hiyoki either, partly for the same reason I don't think she killed herself, and partly for the same reason why I don't think the killings were committed by ANYONE with the disease - it is bad storytelling to have the murder be the result of loss of agency by the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zoe posted:

It just occurred to me - is Hajime keeping the whole thing about seeing the hanging on the video to himself? I don't remember him mentioning it right off, and I'm not sure why they're all immediately jumping to the conclusion of two murders when Ibuki's at first glance would seem to be a suicide.

No, which is going to look bad later when they finally get around to asking why he was in the Titty Twister in the first place. I think it will sound suspicious.

In fact, he consciously avoids a chance to tell Nagito:

FPzero posted:

: Hajime...this might be impudent of me to ask but... Will you listen to what I have to say?
: I heard that you witnessed the incident from the very beginning, right?
: ...So what?
: Can you provide me with a summary of the incident? I need to reach the truth behind this incident. For the sake of dedicating my body to...an even greater hope...
: No.

: ...Why?
: Don't make me repeat myself...no!

This guy just wants to confuse us... There's no way I'm going to tell him what he wants to know!

: ...I see, that's disappointing.

• Locked thread