Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Frankston posted:

Is it worth going through single player at all? Haven't touched it yet.

Absolutely. It's basically Mario Galaxy with guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Frankston posted:

Moray towers loving sucks, in every mode.
It's funny that every once in a while, someone just has to mention how they hate Moray Towers. Even if it was one of the most popular choices in the Final Splatfest stage poll in the Wii U version of Splatoon.

So I have to ask: What is it about Moray Towers that makes it particularly disliked by some?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

GI_Clutch posted:

I was in a lobby with a rank 7 who got a whopping 125, 187, and 221 across three rounds. I'm assuming someone asked big brother or daddy to play for a while. Thankfully he was only on my team one of those rounds, as you can probably imagine the end result.

Also, as much as people were complaining about the charger in Salmon Run, I'd rather have that than the blaster. At least they have the Jet Squelcher in there though. I hope they add the Dual Squelcher soon as that was my favorite in the original.

Jet Squelcher is loving awesome in Salmon Run.

Frankston posted:

Is it worth going through single player at all? Haven't touched it yet.

Levels are fun, commentary is hilarious, you can unlock new weapons somehow and you can also get food/drink tickets for multiplayer bonuses.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The inklines in 2's Moray Towers make it pretty dynamic and less centered around a central death arena. I didn't dislike it before but now it feels pretty good. I hope we get even more classic stages with changes like that.

Edit: Hell the changes to Moray Towers kind of mirror the game as a whole. Overall Nintendo did a great job keeping the good parts of the first game while changing mostly just the bad parts.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 22, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rexroom posted:

It's funny that every once in a while, someone just has to mention how they hate Moray Towers. Even if it was one of the most popular choices in the Final Splatfest stage poll in the Wii U version of Splatoon.

So I have to ask: What is it about Moray Towers that makes it particularly disliked by some?

I really like the rails they added to it for 2. Gives you a lot more options for flanking and getting around.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I miss Saltspray Rig and I hope it comes back. I get the sense some people didn't like it, but in turf war I loved rushing to the back with the inkbrush and fighting to hold that territory all match.

Rexroom posted:

My personal beef with it is, getting from any given point A->B is more of a chore than most other maps, all the dropping/climbing isn't a satisfying way to get around, and eventually you've got to try and get through the meatgrinder that is the bottom level.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yea the rails definitely make it harder for a single charger to lock down the central area (source: me)

also i dont hate port mackerel anymore its nice and open now

e: ive spent an obscene amount of time in squid beatz, i love track 17 but its so hard to get gold on it on normal, forget the finger twister on hard

Smiles fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 22, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I love the new specials. I got frustrated with the first game's specials being almost more important than the gun they were attached to. Invincibility is kind of crappy in a shooter, the massive area of effects kind of screwed up ranked modes, and because of the netcode I kept dying to Inkzooka before even seeing the projectile (or the player popping the special for that matter.)

I just need to get out of the habit of hitting special with the Splattershot Jr. when getting into a knife fight because Ink Armour doesn't do you any favours when someone is up in your face. (I'll go to my grave maintaining that the Splattershot Jr. is better than the Aerospray)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love the dualies, rolling around is so fun. Any general tips for using them?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love the dualies, rolling around is so fun. Any general tips for using them?

They get better (higher RoF and such) after you finish a roll and it sticks until you move normally, so practice knife fighting without moving except via rolls. (In contrast to other guns where you want to be hopping around or squidding a lot)

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

You may have won the match, Kaubocks but at least we know who will win a fight between a Sneaky Inkjet vs Hidden Splashdown .

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol I wish there was a forced 50% win rate I keep getting matched up with drooling idiots :allears:

i know i'm complaining about matchmaking in ranked when i'm also contributing to the problem but it's some zen type of bullshit that I keep getting put into teams filled with one weapon type whereas the enemy team has genuinely had a good diverse spread that lets them have a long range position to safely jump to all the time in my last and only 2-9 games of rainmaker

i guess in that sense it's completely my fault because there's only 3 separate chances of having a long ranged position on my team discounting me whereas the enemy team has 4 chances so i guess i'll just learn how to snipe

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 22, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Futaba Anzu posted:

i know i'm complaining about matchmaking in ranked when i'm also contributing to the problem but it's some zen type of bullshit that I keep getting put into teams filled with one weapon type whereas the enemy team has genuinely had a good diverse spread that lets them have a long range position to safely jump to all the time in my last and only 2-9 games of rainmaker

i guess in that sense it's completely my fault because there's only 3 separate chances of having a long ranged position on my team discounting me whereas the enemy team has 4 chances so i guess i'll just learn how to snipe

When I played arranged team ranked in the first game there definitely was a correlation between us losing and the enemy having a really amazing sniper so that might not be a bad idea.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Futaba Anzu posted:

My team got rolled by an all dualies team on humpback pump track, 3 minutes of getting missiled.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Every single loving time I'm one win away from going up a level with the weapon score thing I go on a massive losing streak. Eventually claw my way back up to one win away, it happens again.

going ballistic

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I had a game record me as having 6 kills with my main gun when I only remember 1 :psyduck:

Edit: unless I got a lot more grenade kills than I noticed

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some tips for Salmon Run since I've played too much of it;

-If you don't wait for everyone with an egg to get on the lift in Marooner's Bay before inking it, you're scum.
-The easiest way to die is to get knocked into the water, especially at low and high tide. Be mindful of the knockback caused by the attacks of the various salmonids. Even if you have the health to tank a few hits it won't matter if they shove you into the ocean.
-When swimming back to the basket, throw a bomb at your feet if you have the ink. This will splat some of the salmonids that are chasing you.
-You will drown in golden eggs at high ranks. Actually securing them without getting killed is the hard part. So if you splat a boss super far from the basket, don't sit by the eggs waiting for your team to come because odds are they are trying to kill 4 other bosses right now. Just grab an egg and go.
-Flyish, snipers, and drizzlers will overwhelm your team from afar if you don't clean them out. Be mindful of them when they spawn, even if you can't recover the eggs they drop. Don't tunnel vision on killing them though cause then you'll get smacked by their friends and probably die.
-If a maws is targeting you, lure it back to the basket. You should be doing this with all the bosses that chase you but its easiest to pull off with maws.
-Once you meet quota, just focus on surviving if things are getting out of hand. If the basket is surrounded by salmonids and your entire team is dead, just retreat and wait out the round instead of trying to play hero.
-You can shoot down the drizzlers' rockets to negate them. If you hit them from the right angle, the rocket will even fly back into the drizzler and kill it. Keep this in mind cause preventing the ink cloud is really helpful.
-gently caress grillers

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The bucket is real and strong and is my friend.

How do I get the clothes shops to change stock?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I had a game record me as having 6 kills with my main gun when I only remember 1 :psyduck:

Edit: unless I got a lot more grenade kills than I noticed

I believe it also counts assist

Internet Kraken posted:

Some tips for Salmon Run since I've played too much of it;

-If you don't wait for everyone with an egg to get on the lift in Marooner's Bay before inking it, you're scum. .
-You can shoot down the drizzlers' rockets to negate them. If you hit them from the right angle, the rocket will even fly back into the drizzler and kill it. Keep this in mind cause preventing the ink cloud is really helpful.
-gently caress grillers

I love when a wall just shot up in my face on my way back.

Also you can shot drizzlers when they parachute and grillers are easy to kill with Sting Ray or wait for them to do the gyro attack

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ignimbrite posted:

I think the first game changed stock every day?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Its every 24 hr starting at midnight also Annie on Splatnet changes on a through out the day.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Salmon Run is real good and I'm already annoyed at the limited time schedule. From Monday until Friday night the only time I can play is Tuesday, from whenever I get home from work until 8 Pm. Nothing at a reasonable hour Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday, and just maybe an hour Tuesday if I'm lucky. It's a bummer because the mode is really fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jarogue posted:

I love when a wall just shot up in my face on my way back.

Once I saw a teammate get overwhelmed by a huge wave of salmonids down by the lift. So like a hero, I jumped down and cut a path through them to tag him and secure an egg. When we ran back to the lift to escape he inked it before I got on and I got smeared against the wall by a scrapper a second later :geno:

quote:

Also you can shot drizzlers when they parachute and grillers are easy to kill with Sting Ray or wait for them to do the gyro attack

The grillers spinning around isn't an attack, it means they've taken sufficient damage to be stunned.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The hamster ball special sure is garbage for offensive purposes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
turf war doesnt really have ranks right

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jarogue posted:

I believe it also counts assist

Okay that makes sense; I was having a pretty bad game where in a few fights I landed several hits but couldn't stick the last one before dying so I guess my teammates finished the job.

I've seen a few people mention that they see some particularly bad play, people walking instead of squidding and such, or standing still to shoot, but after it let me out of the newbie kiddie pool I've seen some really good playing that reminded me just how much rust I have on my splet skills. Are there tiers for the matchmaking? It seems to take a while to fill up games I'm in.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

eonwe posted:

turf war doesnt really have ranks right

Nope. It most certainly gives you an invisible MMR but that's it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I've had too many instances in salmon run where I've waited for all the dudes with eggs to get on the lift and find out some fucker just went the long way around so I quit waiting.

Unless you're right behind me I'll just use then lift, it only takes a second or two to come back down anyway

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This game makes me eel like a bully sometimes

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

g0lbez posted:

I've had too many instances in salmon run where I've waited for all the dudes with eggs to get on the lift and find out some fucker just went the long way around so I quit waiting.

Unless you're right behind me I'll just use then lift, it only takes a second or two to come back down anyway

You can also ink the sides of it when it's up and climb it that way.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You can also ink the sides of it when it's up and climb it that way.

Last night that ended up being the first thing I'd do in a round during the countdown. Saved my life several times having the ink already in place on the lift for when someone would send it up without me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I'm wondering because it's not in the OP, but is league battle the only to play consistently with a friend on a team? You can't team up for turf battles, right?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Whats a decent score to be aiming for in Turf Wars... On average I'm getting about 750-1000 in raw score (not including win bonuses or whatever).

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Sheldon's store's song is dope

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Matchmaking keeps putting me on the same team as some guy who really sucks and keeps getting the lowest paint score and kills every game and we lose every time and I'm getting salty

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Frankston posted:

Matchmaking keeps putting me on the same team as some guy who really sucks and keeps getting the lowest paint score and kills every game and we lose every time and I'm getting salty

Just exit the lobby and rejoin

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
BTW, as today's Salmon Run winds down to reset, if anyone wants to get some runs in, I'd be down. I'm already at Profreshional but I'd be happy to help anyone of any level.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got knocked down to apprentice and have to make up 39 points :(

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My egg basket is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I wish there was a button that says Look Out so that why when i get on a elevator I don't immediately get snapped by a maw.