Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kakegurui is a manga written by Homura Kawamoto and illustrated by Toru Naomura and an anime prouced by MAPPA. Kakegurui takes place at extremely prestigious Hyakkaou Private Academy. Hyakkaou is home to the most wealthy and privileged youth of Japan. Rather than place focus on academics or athletics, the student body has devoted itself to gambling to determine it's hierarchy, with the mysterious Student Council running the show. The greatest gamblers rise to the top of the food chain, while those who find themselves in debt became slaves, wearing collars and are given pet names until they can somehow make their way back into the black.

One day a second year student, Yumeko Jabami, transfers to Hyakkaou. Seemingly fresh meat the cutthroat grinder that is her peers, there is much more to Yumeko than meets the eye, causing her to gain the eye of the Student Council

Netflix has picked up the rights to this show I believe and so will sadly be releasing it at the end of the season, so finding where to watch it right now is on you

Characters:

Yumeko Jabami - There's a lot we don't know about Ms. Jabami like her background and her history. What we do know though is that this girl loving loves gambling, able to grasp games she's never seen before with ease and see how her opponents are pulling the strings

Again, she really loves gambling

Mary Saotome - A fellow student in Yumeko's class, Mary is the top of her class. Well, she was until she challenged Yumeko to a game, and has fallen into Pet Status. Her attempts to pick herself back up have been met with difficulty and she only seems to be digging her hole deeper. There's apparently a prequel manga called Kakegurui Twin, which takes place a year before the events of Kakegurui, focusing on Mary.

Ryota Suzui is dude with bad luck who starts the series in Pet Status after having lost to Mary. After Yumeko defeats Mary, Ryota hangs around with Yumeko, acting as exposition to tell us and her about the rules and important students of the academy. He really doesn't do much else beside sit behind Yumeko as she gambles and say things she doesn't respond to. Afterwards, Yumeko will talk about the match and other things that Ryota doesn't respond to, it's a lil weird

I got no pictures for this guy, just imagine a boiler plate brown hair'd protagonist dude.

This show is real silly and cool! It's the only thing I'm watching of this season right now and I feel pretty full off that alone. The more realistic style may not be your taste, but it really sells just how batshit all these women are in the best way. I've yet to read the manga but right now the pacing seems pretty good, with every episode so far having a new Gamble and introducing a new antagonist. I really love all the designs of the Student Council members and im excited to see what all these weirdos do and how they play off each other. If you like scary women who look like they can and will murder you and eat your bones, give it a watch! If you have read the manga, please talk about it, but be smart about spoiler tags plz. Like I said I haven't read the manga so if anything needs to be added to the OP or you have more buckwild gifs and faces you want me to put in it, lemme know.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wholeheartedly dig the thread title! :3:

They don't come much crazier than these broads, do they?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
In before Dav posts blob.jpeg

I'm enjoying this show so far, hoping that it gets more interesting with its games, though....

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, there's a girl with a gun. And she seems to be (at least outwardly) crazier than Yumeko. Hopefully Yumeko lets her know what's up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unfortunately Gamble Fish topped all other games of Russian Roulette forever so I'm probably doomed to be disappointed with gun girl's game.

I like the pacing. I haven't read the manga but at this point it seems like it might actually make it through the whole student council in one season.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
gun girl hasn't even said anything and she already rules

Julias posted:

In before Dav posts blob.jpeg

I'm enjoying this show so far, hoping that it gets more interesting with its games, though....
Yeah the last game wasn't super exicting and the one before was just a bigger game of Concentration. The card Rock-Paper-Scissors was neat tho, that's a cool way to play.

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

Unfortunately Gamble Fish topped all other games of Russian Roulette forever so I'm probably doomed to be disappointed with gun girl's game.

I like the pacing. I haven't read the manga but at this point it seems like it might actually make it through the whole student council in one season.

Eh, her game does more to showcase/set up her personality and what she specifically enjoys about gambling. It leads to them having a fun interaction in the second major arc of the manga.

So Icey Seifuku fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 17, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh Season 0, only everyone is a crazy gambling high school girl, and there is a lot more spit/sweat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yumeko is the Hisoka of gambling.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yumeko is the Hisoka of gambling.
Hey, beats having an inappropriate murder-boner for 2 young teens (and I like Hisoka).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I am all for a show that is about Eating The Rich.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The way Yumeko acts, I'm genuinely unsure if she was rich to begin with, or if she gambled her way to great personal wealth with the power of being bugshit insane. Either way, cool show. YMMV proportional to your tolerance for bodily fluids.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this looks rly good

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I haven't watched the anime but I've binged the manga and I can confidently say Kakegurui is Very Good.

Starry eyed girl best girl.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm glad epicene alucard found work again

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Man that Ryota guy is completely blind to the idea of "hustling".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't read the manga (and don't plan to do so until at least the anime ends), but holy poo poo I had a nightmare last night: One of these dumb rich kids is gonna get killed in a really gruesome manner over a silly kid game, isn't it? I can feel it in my bones.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Haven't read the manga (and don't plan to do so until at least the anime ends), but holy poo poo I had a nightmare last night: One of these dumb rich kids is gonna get killed in a really gruesome manner over a silly kid game, isn't it? I can feel it in my bones.

Define "killed in a really gruesome manner".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I get a very distinct Johan Liebert-esque vibe from the StuCo President, and I remember (maybe I'm misremembering?) how in Monster, Johan played mind games with children so that they would jump off buildings by passing it off as a game, and I'm betting that Silver-haired StuCo Prez is gonna force somebody to do something rock-gently caress insane like that and pass it off as a gamble.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Annointed posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that this story shares another trait with FKMT works, such as there being fates far, far worse than death or bodily harm.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Annointed posted:

Well considering that girl with the eyepatch is seen waving around a revolver in the OP... Probably won't be as good as Gamble Fish's russian roulette arc where Obama played against Satan for the unified field theory equation, but yeah I'd be more surprised if there isn't a fatality at some point.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, we'll see. I just... had that dream about Johan and then it switched to the Silver Haired president.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if they don't pull a kaiji and have a drill slowly working it's way through someone's ear every time they gently caress up, i'll drop this show

Honestly my gut feeling is that the stakes won't get too high, just because it is high school girls at an official institution and it's not like Kaiji where the yakuza and loansharks have gathered these poor gently caress ups to either kill them or get their money on an unmarked cruise ship at night

But also there's a girl missing an eye waving a gun around so that could totally be wrong. I do hope gun girl lost that eye in a gamble

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They just totally defanged the penalty for losing, 3 episodes into the show. It would make absolutely no sense to do that if they weren't going to up the stakes almost immediately afterwards.

Also we've already seen someone who plays for bodily harm, even if she did chicken out when it was turned back on her. I'm sure there's more where that come from.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm more amazed Netflix has turned me back to fansubs again after like not using them for 5 years, so I can watch this show and Fate Apocrypha after LWA was my last straw when they only released half of it. Was a serious blast back to my high school and college days.

This show feels like a reaction gif gold mine.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, episode 4 sure was a thing. :stare:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Subs are taking so long.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm more amazed Netflix has turned me back to fansubs again after like not using them for 5 years, so I can watch this show and Fate Apocrypha after LWA was my last straw when they only released half of it. Was a serious blast back to my high school and college days.

This show feels like a reaction gif gold mine.

Yeah, seriously gently caress Netflix. I know Amazon are awful too but at least we get the episodes on the same week.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Subs are taking so long.

Yeah, seriously gently caress Netflix. I know Amazon are awful too but at least we get the episodes on the same week.
I know this is gonna come off as boasting / showboating but it's really not: I used to work for Netflix (late 2013 into early 2015) and, even with some potential problems we had in 2014, AND even before the move to AWS was finalized (which actually happened AFTER they it went worldwide), the means to do Simulcast for select shows was already in place and could've been supported with very little problem, even with the whole 'moving servers' business going on. And yeah, Funimation, Daisuki, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll and a few others had/have their problems (somebody mentioned in the Anime Chat thread that Crunchy takes a beating every time a new episode of Dragon Ball Super comes out), but they still cowboy the gently caress up and continue actually trying to bring the goods home.

Meanwhile, Netflix has lost licenses because of the inability to play nice and allow for select simulcasting / staggered updates to take place save for a few precious exceptions. But between Little Witch Academia and now this show, it's made it crystal-clear to me that Netflix seems really unwilling to change some small things that could change the company for the better. It wasn't the worst place to work, but at the same time, I'm kinda glad that I left because constantly being reminded of the whole "Why aren't you/we doing simulcast for these shows?" kinda got irksome really quick.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
^^^ That's all super interesting! It kinda seems like Netflix is throwing poo poo at an anime wall and seeing what sticks. With buying shows and not simulcasting, but also supporting things like Blame!, Death Note and Castlevania, I have no idea how those projects are doing for them, but they seem to be going right ahead

anyway jesus kakegurui chill the gently caress out, we're only a third of the way through.

I like how Gun Girl is somehow the LEAST intimidating person on this show, mostly because she's extremely upfront about it. I'm proooobably gonna have to request a gif av of her before this show's over

the actual gambling is the thing i care about least on this show but im glad Mary's having a good time for once

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 23, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show is batshit insane. I'm all in.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
The end of ep4 was such a breath of fresh air, compared to the last two episodes. This show is nuts and I can't wait for next week.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
The anime plays fast and loose with the art style of the manga. But this is pretty much everything I wanted from an adaptation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

^^^ That's all super interesting! It kinda seems like Netflix is throwing poo poo at an anime wall and seeing what sticks. With buying shows and not simulcasting, but also supporting things like Blame!, Death Note and Castlevania, I have no idea how those projects are doing for them, but they seem to be going right ahead
It was kind of a mixed bag. A lot of anime that we got was mostly because we got the licenses for dirt cheap. One of the few surprises a bunch of people received was how a lot of casual, non-anime watching folks got into Fate/Zero and My Bride is a Mermaid and how, despite mixed reviews, fuckin' Irregular at Magic High School and Sword Art Online got really huge during my tenure, the licenses for both were basically hand-me-downs because Aniplex was gonna get most of its earnings from the Simulcasts / BD-DVD requests.

Funny that you mentioned Blame! and Castlevania. From what I heard (different department, since they were both treated 100% as Netflix originals) Castlevania and Blame were basically Netflix picking up the slack on things that had been worked on already to an extent and going "Can we get a couple of re-writes so that we can make this a series of episodes/movies instead of a standalone?" to the people involved (I know for a fact Ellis visited the Los Gatos HQ). Like, I'm glad that both projects got successfully off the ground and that both turned out well, but let's not mince words and pretend that there's a lot of involvement with a lot of what qualifies as a "Netflix Original".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

.Clash posted:

The anime plays fast and loose with the art style of the manga. But this is pretty much everything I wanted from an adaptation.
I really like both the Manga and the Anime styles. Once the anime finishes airing, I'm probably gonna pick up the manga (read the first chapter but decided to put that on hold due to the anime announcement).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll probably pick up the manga too, I'm curious at the legs this series has. I def thought it was gonna be a predictable formula where every episode is a different student council nutjob, but instead there's the first multi episode game..

Wark Say posted:

It was kind of a mixed bag. A lot of anime that we got was mostly because we got the licenses for dirt cheap. One of the few surprises a bunch of people received was how a lot of casual, non-anime watching folks got into Fate/Zero and My Bride is a Mermaid and how, despite mixed reviews, fuckin' Irregular at Magic High School and Sword Art Online got really huge during my tenure, the licenses for both were basically hand-me-downs because Aniplex was gonna get most of its earnings from the Simulcasts / BD-DVD requests.

Funny that you mentioned Blame! and Castlevania. From what I heard (different department, since they were both treated 100% as Netflix originals) Castlevania and Blame were basically Netflix picking up the slack on things that had been worked on already to an extent and going "Can we get a couple of re-writes so that we can make this a series of episodes/movies instead of a standalone?" to the people involved (I know for a fact Ellis visited the Los Gatos HQ). Like, I'm glad that both projects got successfully off the ground and that both turned out well, but let's not mince words and pretend that there's a lot of involvement with a lot of what qualifies as a "Netflix Original".
Man that's weird, it's been obvious for a bit, but Netflix's game plan really seems to be Get As Many Fingers In As Many Pies As Possible. Barely related, but the amount of Asian dramas on there was always neat to me, cause there's like 30+ which is waaaaaay more than I ever expected. The Netflix Original label doesn't seem to be a high bar, but I remember that Terrace House specifically mentioned getting picked up by Netflix and their involvement at multiple points.

netflix weird

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I get a very distinct Johan Liebert-esque vibe from the StuCo President, and I remember (maybe I'm misremembering?) how in Monster, Johan played mind games with children so that they would jump off buildings by passing it off as a game, and I'm betting that Silver-haired StuCo Prez is gonna force somebody to do something rock-gently caress insane like that and pass it off as a gamble.

You aren't misremembering re: Johan from Monster.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Wark Say posted:

I know this is gonna come off as boasting / showboating but it's really not: I used to work for Netflix (late 2013 into early 2015) and, even with some potential problems we had in 2014, AND even before the move to AWS was finalized (which actually happened AFTER they it went worldwide), the means to do Simulcast for select shows was already in place and could've been supported with very little problem, even with the whole 'moving servers' business going on. And yeah, Funimation, Daisuki, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll and a few others had/have their problems (somebody mentioned in the Anime Chat thread that Crunchy takes a beating every time a new episode of Dragon Ball Super comes out), but they still cowboy the gently caress up and continue actually trying to bring the goods home.

Meanwhile, Netflix has lost licenses because of the inability to play nice and allow for select simulcasting / staggered updates to take place save for a few precious exceptions. But between Little Witch Academia and now this show, it's made it crystal-clear to me that Netflix seems really unwilling to change some small things that could change the company for the better. It wasn't the worst place to work, but at the same time, I'm kinda glad that I left because constantly being reminded of the whole "Why aren't you/we doing simulcast for these shows?" kinda got irksome really quick.

Netflix is in a great position right now because they have more money than God and can throw it around like a wrecking ball, and licensors, partners, former partners basically have to sit on their hands and take it because, in the end, Netflix's decisions are validated. You can ask anyone who works for a site that writes about anime, and they'll tell you all Netflix licensed anime do amazing traffic whenever they write an article about it. Their penetration is 100 times that of Crunchyroll's, and the Netflix Original label deceives people into thinking Netflix created that anime, so any anime they license instantly lifts it into high profile. So they're not going to change their ways, because there's no reason to.

Wark Say posted:

Netflix was the primary producer for Blame! That's the first truly Netflix original anime that's come out. It got a short theatrical run in Japan at the same time it came out on streaming. Maybe that was to qualify it for awards or something. Or just a promotional thing. Also Castlevania is a US production with no Japanese studios involved at all, so I don't know how it keeps getting classified as anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

livingfruitvirus posted:

Netflix is in a great position right now because they have more money than God and can throw it around like a wrecking ball, and licensors, partners, former partners basically have to sit on their hands and take it because, in the end, Netflix's decisions are validated. You can ask anyone who works for a site that writes about anime, and they'll tell you all Netflix licensed anime do amazing traffic whenever they write an article about it. Their penetration is 100 times that of Crunchyroll's, and the Netflix Original label deceives people into thinking Netflix created that anime, so any anime they license instantly lifts it into high profile. So they're not going to change their ways, because there's no reason to.
Yeah, pretty much. Again, it's been over two and a half years since my last day working there, but I remember that we got the streaming rights for a bunch of anime for what could basically be considered "chump change". My opinions about the company somewhat stagnating in the same place are coming from a place where, while the work I did in Netflix (acquiring/retaining licenses) was not necessarily tech-oriented, my background in Web-based environments / software development often made me go "Hey, wouldn't it be better if--" inside my head and so on.

Also, completely unrelated to anime, but the same day that we got the streaming rights for SAO's Second Season and the Irregular anime was also the same day we were unable to retain the US streaming rights for Desperate Housewives. In early 2015, the same day that show was taken off Netflix's streaming side was also my last day in the company after providing my 2 weeks notice. It was a goofy coincidence. :D

livingfruitvirus posted:

Netflix was the primary producer for Blame! That's the first truly Netflix original anime that's come out. It got a short theatrical run in Japan at the same time it came out on streaming. Maybe that was to qualify it for awards or something. Or just a promotional thing. Also Castlevania is a US production with no Japanese studios involved at all, so I don't know how it keeps getting classified as anime.
Again, I can't remember 100% accurately, but weren't there plans for a full-on Blame! movie to come out at around the same time the Knights of Sidonia manga started picking up steam? Also that, a lot like Castlevania/Warren Ellis joint, Nihei had basically done the script that ended up being adapted by the screenwriter for the Netflix film since around almost a decade ago but then the studio that was gonna work on it (which wasn't Polygon Pictures) folded like around 2010 or something and Nihei just went back to just focus on Sidonia. Again, I'm not trying to poo poo on Netflix. After all, I still use it every other day and my parents basically use my account every day, plus working there was the second best job I ever had in my life because when I started living with my daughter, they basically went "Sure, you can go back to live in México full time, just keep up the good work and you're golden". But still, working there, I quickly learned that the "Netflix Original" is to be taken with a grain of salt. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pewdiepie posted:

You aren't misremembering re: Johan from Monster.
Neat! Thanks for confirming, Pew. The old thinker ain't failing me all that much. :)

Goddamn I'm so hype for this show. Mary getting her groove back was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I have to admit I was a little confused by the ending of the most recent episode. How did Mary having a bad hand screw the guy over?

• Locked thread