Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

At this precise moment the Oculus is a no brainer. When Knuckles comes out the equation might change, but Vive will definitely still be the waaaay more expensive option for not a massive difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Geisladisk posted:

How does the Vive and Oculus + Touch compare right now?

My roomate has a Vive which I've been using for the past year or so, but we're parting ways, and I need to get my own kit. Oculus + Touch is significantly cheaper than a Vive, so if they are comparable, it's sorely tempting to get the Oculus instead of a Vive.

Get the Oculus. They are comparable and the choice would be more subjective normally but the new normal is the Oculus is significantly cheaper. Now, you buy the Oculus because it makes no sense to not buy it.
Get the Oculus.

edit
:argh:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
There are a few reasons why you might still not want to get a Rift, but it's basically either you have huge glasses that won't fit or your head is so big only the Vive strap will work and you physically can't put the Rift on your head.

It's unlikely, though.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
fwiw my glasses were too big for the Rift so I just got these (http://www.zennioptical.com/450021-metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinge.html) for $10

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know anything about glasses, I thought maybe they just fused to your head

Anyway Lone Echo is great and very worth 40 bucks. It only lasted about 5 hours for me but it was about right. It's not a ton of action or anything, but the atmosphere and characters are great.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Right, Oculus it is. Thanks!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Download and play Echo Arena immediately you curs

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But I have no hands.

Touch controllers next week :negative:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rec Room is a pretty awesome experience, too (for free!). I just finished playing a co-op shooter session where you actually have to take cover or dodge with your body, revive your teammates with high fives, and cock guns manually to reload. Really cool.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

JazzFlight posted:

Rec Room is a pretty awesome experience, too (for free!). I just finished playing a co-op shooter session where you actually have to take cover or dodge with your body, revive your teammates with high fives, and cock guns manually to reload. Really cool.

They have a 3rd quest mode on the way as well they just revealed.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For those disappointed in the low resolution, if you've got a decent video card try out the Oculus tray tool and enabling super sampling.

Effectively (as I understand it) it renders at a higher resolution before downscaling it to the oculus' Native resolution.

I turned it on for the first time the other night and holy poo poo what a difference. Its hard to play without it now.

You'll need to experiment with the amount though, I was running everything at 2x, until I spent a couple of hours in Lone Echo with it at 2x. Looked amazing, but I presume the frame rate started to chug a bit once my laptop started to throttle. I started to feel sick, which I have not done in the consumer version after many hours. ( It never used to take long in the dev kit).

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Lemming posted:

Awesome Echo Arena Guide....

Thanks for this awesome guide. I just had another few rounds where I did extremely well, mainly after realising that throwing myself off walls and obstacles generally makes me much faster than I ever was puttering around with the thrusters. Now I just need to work on throwing and aiming.

Now all I want to do is jump back in there, but having a 16 month old doesn't give me much VR time. Hopefully this game has some longevity here in my home country, it's always hard to find Australian servers for anything remotely niche.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
My Touch controllers just got delivered today. Got 2-sensor room scale setup in a ~8x5 foot area andddddddd holy poo poo this is pretty incredible.

I was pretty unimpressed with the Rift headset yesterday, but Touch turns it on its head. The setup procedure was great and the Robot workshop demo was fantastic.

I'm sold on VR.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

bobfather posted:

My Touch controllers just got delivered today. Got 2-sensor room scale setup in a ~8x5 foot area andddddddd holy poo poo this is pretty incredible.

I was pretty unimpressed with the Rift headset yesterday, but Touch turns it on its head. The setup procedure was great and the Robot workshop demo was fantastic.

I'm sold on VR.

Yeah, VR without fully tracked motion controls is just a gimmicky monitor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Grey posted:

The comments in this thread was the biggest selling point on VR to me. Nearly every thread on SA has people constantly making GBS threads on the topic. It is the exact opposite here.

The Kinect and Wii just promised so much bullshit they then didn't remotely deliver on, everybody's super skiddish about new technology and gaming methods now. The assumption is that its a con.

Chadzok posted:

At this precise moment the Oculus is a no brainer. When Knuckles comes out the equation might change, but Vive will definitely still be the waaaay more expensive option for not a massive difference.

Is there a way to play VIVE only games on Oculus the way you can play Oculus only games on VIVE with ReVIVE? I asked before and I don't think anybody answered me but I also don't have an oculus so I don't follow it super close.

Ideally games should support both but youknow.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zaphod42 posted:

Is there a way to play VIVE only games on Oculus the way you can play Oculus only games on VIVE with ReVIVE? I asked before and I don't think anybody answered me but I also don't have an oculus so I don't follow it super close.

Well, the qualification of "VIVE-only" games is more that the developer didn't officially support Oculus or the Touch controllers on their Steam release. So, you can still buy games marked with only Vive support on Steam, but I think you're kinda screwed if the controls or view is glitchy or completely unworkable. At this point, I check the games' forums to see if anyone tested it first. Ultimately, the most popular VR games on Steam come with both support built in now, so it's less of an issue.

Unfortunately, for the games that just don't line up automatically with SteamVR translating for Oculus, I don't think there's a controller re-mapper for Touch (yet).

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

rage-saq posted:

Yeah seriously. This is also where the hangups from most non-VR people come from in my opinion. They've tried a phone headset and write the thing off.

Give them a pair of hands and you can practically see their heads explode.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rage-saq posted:

Not entirely true, depends on the game. Vehicular games are superb in VR without motion controls, as are rhythm games like Thumper or Rez. Resident Evil 7 is also more than just a game on a gimmicky monitor in VR, it's a massive improvement. It can be a total paradigm shift if pulled off right.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Been hanging out in VRchat and there's nothing I want more than hands.

Dammit Amazon, ship faster

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Zaphod42 posted:

Generally speaking, SteamVR games Just Work with Oculus (there's some initial setup, and a tweak to make SteamVR easier to launch while wearing the headset if you want, but that's about it). There are exceptions, and explicit support (be it full Oculus SDK support or just making Oculus-specific tweaks in SteamVR as appropriate) is better in some games than others, but generally speaking it's not worth worrying about too much if you're sticking to the bigger stuff. That said, a lot of this stuff is early access, with all that implies.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wall-mounted my sensors and bought a 6-foot HDMI and USB 3.0 extension for my Rift so I could run the cables from the ceiling, and I'll say, being able to turn around in 360 degrees and not worry about tripping a cord is loving life-changing. Also makes Onward with the ProtubeVR a lot more manageable!

Helter Skelter posted:

Generally speaking, SteamVR games Just Work with Oculus (there's some initial setup, and a tweak to make SteamVR easier to launch while wearing the headset if you want, but that's about it). There are exceptions, and explicit support (be it full Oculus SDK support or just making Oculus-specific tweaks in SteamVR as appropriate) is better in some games than others, but generally speaking it's not worth worrying about too much if you're sticking to the bigger stuff. That said, a lot of this stuff is early access, with all that implies.

Does anyone have a list of VR games on Steam that only list Vive support but supports Rift through SteamVR?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

Does anyone have a list of VR games on Steam that only list Vive support but supports Rift through SteamVR?

It's be easier to make a list of what doesn't work.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, you'd have to really go looking for stuff that flat doesn't work, most of the time if there's an issue it's just stuff like "oh I have to hold this at a slightly odd angle because they didn't quite account for Touch properly" that you adjust to in five minutes and forget about.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Put me in the group of people that purchased the Oculus bundle due to the price and am enjoying it way more than I was expecting.

My only problem right now is in games like Raw Data where you're able to move with the joy stick I get somewhat nauseous after an hour or so. It's not enough to make me stop playing, but I would definitely want to try and avoid this as I more or less got this system for FPS games.

Any tips on how I could reduce the 'pit in your stomach' feeling, or is this just a case of not having my VR Legs yet?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Not entirely true, depends on the game. Vehicular games are superb in VR without motion controls, as are rhythm games like Thumper or Rez. Resident Evil 7 is also more than just a game on a gimmicky monitor in VR, it's a massive improvement. It can be a total paradigm shift if pulled off right.

Is for like almost any normal person. Until motion controls were added almost everyone I know said the same thing "gimmicky monitor"

Sure there's a few games that are fun in Vr without them but it's not the same. Not even close. I actually get bummed out now when games don't support hands. Almost don't want to boot em up. It's a good thing thumper is so drat fun.

I wanted a vive, bad. But the wands are dumb sorry. The oculus touch is exactly what vr needs with motion control so right now, I can't imagine trying to play anything with those dumb wands now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

moosecow333 posted:

My only problem right now is in games like Raw Data where you're able to move with the joy stick I get somewhat nauseous after an hour or so. It's not enough to make me stop playing, but I would definitely want to try and avoid this as I more or less got this system for FPS games.

Any tips on how I could reduce the 'pit in your stomach' feeling, or is this just a case of not having my VR Legs yet?

Simulation sickness is complex and not completely understood. I think something that has been learnt is while you can't accelerate player movement, instant movement at fixed speed actually doesn't feel too bad. You expect to feel forces on your body when you're accelerating or decelerating and if you don't feel that, you're brain freaks out. If you're moving at a constant speed, your brain doesn't expect those forces and you feel fine. Raw Data is weird in that it's artificial locomotion mechanics currently have acceleration/deceleration, making sim sickness more prevalent. Games that don't do this (Onward and Pavlov) feel a little better though it can still make you a bit ill initially.

I still like teleportation, but I have to admit that despite having issues early on with artificial locomotion, any feelings of nausea have effectively disappeared in the games that don't accelerate my movement.

EDIT: It's also why I think touchpads are the way to go for VR movement. By their nature, sticks have an input curve and if the movement speed is variable then some acceleration is inevitable. With a touchpad you're able to change directions and speeds in an instant by lifting your finger and placing it elsewhere in the circle, negating any acceleration that could happen if you were using a stick. It's also far easier to stay at a constant speed.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 23, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

EbolaIvory posted:

Is for like almost any normal person. Until motion controls were added almost everyone I know said the same thing "gimmicky monitor"

Sure there's a few games that are fun in Vr without them but it's not the same. Not even close. I actually get bummed out now when games don't support hands. Almost don't want to boot em up. It's a good thing thumper is so drat fun.

I wanted a vive, bad. But the wands are dumb sorry. The oculus touch is exactly what vr needs with motion control so right now, I can't imagine trying to play anything with those dumb wands now.

The difference between Oculus and Vive controllers are very minor to the point of being a wash though? Your hands being tracked is the whole deal, holding on to a stick with a thumb stick or a touch pad isn't so much a big difference. We can talk about the v. important 'crawling on the ground holding the controller' demo tho if you'd like :v:

moosecow333 posted:

I found that after a week of powering through it I got my VR legs now and can do anything using typical fps movement. Before I'd get dizzy and nauseated quickly but that faded. Now I don't feel anything besides my brain having to readapt to normal movement again once I take the headset off.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 23, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

The difference between Oculus and Vive controllers are very minor to the point of being a wash though? Your hands being tracked is the whole deal, holding on to a stick with a thumb stick or a touch pad isn't so much a big difference. We can talk about the v. important 'crawling on the ground holding the controller' demo tho if you'd like :v:

See I disagree, Holding the vive wands feels like a wii controller with better tracking and more buttons. The touch controls feel like im using my hands to hold poo poo. Its a different feel.

moosecow333 posted:

Part getting your VR legs, Part some poo poo will just do that.
InMind VR did that to me the whole way through during the "fast movement" parts. Super cool, but def that tummy feel a ton.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Helter Skelter posted:

People can and do play it with a controller, but it's not optimal. The arcade and realistic modes are best played with mouse and keyboard (there's even kb/m support on the PS4 version, which a lot of people take advantage of), while the simulator mode basically requires a stick to be competitive.

VR is actually a straight-up disadvantage in anything but the simulator mode due to low resolution and inability to quickly whip the camera around behind you.

Explain how a analog controller is less optimal than a joystick in the simulator mode. Also does the game prevent you from using mouse and keyboard as well as whipping the camera around behind you when using VR?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Ginger is an old remedy for motion sickness and in the health-obsessed world today there should be lots of Ginger shot type beverages you can find in the store. In my anecdotal testing, and according to Mythbusters, it seems to work. I usually take a shot before a vr session.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

moosecow333 posted:

Put me in the group of people that purchased the Oculus bundle due to the price and am enjoying it way more than I was expecting.

The biggest advice I can give is if you start feeling nauseous, quit right there, don't try and power through it. Take a break and come back to something else that doesn't have locomotion and won't make you sick. If theres one thing our brains are good at its forming connections, and the last thing you want to do is start letting it form a connection that "this activity/game makes me sick". I've heard people talk about games that still make them sick even though they're used to vr and smooth locomotion now when they go back and try to play them because they made such a strong connection to that game making them sick.

You could also munch on some crystallized ginger, that can help.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Vehicular games are superb in VR without motion controls, as are rhythm games like Thumper or Rez.

Is there a VR version of Rez available? That's like, my all time favorite game on any platform and if there's a VR version I'm all over it.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
My Vive stopped tracking today. I went through all the common troubleshooting and contacted support. After confirming I had done everything they would advise they said that because I was two months over warranty it would be $300 to repair. After repeatedly requesting to speak to a customer service manager over the phone and being told that was impossible, they eventually agreed to escalate and request warranty extension. Based on how it's gone so far I'm not hopeful.

So, I guess my question is, how is everyone enjoying those $400 Oculus Rifts?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Is there a VR version of Rez available? That's like, my all time favorite game on any platform and if there's a VR version I'm all over it.
Its on PSVR unfortunately, but its completely amazing

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Is there really no way to play Echo Arena with friends yet? That seems like a huge omission.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

EbolaIvory posted:

See I disagree, Holding the vive wands feels like a wii controller with better tracking and more buttons. The touch controls feel like im using my hands to hold poo poo. Its a different feel.

I don't get that at all, at least not to the degree you see. Still though I am looking forward to Valve's Knuckle controllers which should be the next level above Touch.

moosecow333 posted:

The heck does Oculus software still not have friends lists that are usable or is that an Echo Arena thing?

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Just ordered a Rift because of the sale bundle. I have never tried VR. Is there a go-to tech demo to show people new to VR?

Also how's that Star Trek game

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Old Story posted:

Just ordered a Rift because of the sale bundle. I have never tried VR. Is there a go-to tech demo to show people new to VR?

Also how's that Star Trek game

I've just been showing people the thing that blew me away, the robot demo thing (first contact) that starts right after the touch controller tutorial after setting everything up.

Everyone except my father in law. I put him in a F1 car in Assetto Corsa. He lasted about 20 seconds.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Context posted:

Is there really no way to play Echo Arena with friends yet? That seems like a huge omission.

They're working on it, they had more matchmaking/server problems than they expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

GutBomb posted:

Everyone except my father in law. I put him in a F1 car in Assetto Corsa. He lasted about 20 seconds.

Motion sickness? Flight, space flight and driving seem like such great opportunities in VR but super easy way to throw up