Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Monday_ posted:

Because the PS4 controller is awful

Its real nice. Both are fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Monday_ posted:

Because the PS4 controller is awful.

I have both and the only games I ever play on my PS4 are Uncharted and Horizon.

They revised the PS4 controller over a year ago, doing things like fixing the sticks and making the audio interface work on Windows and the control signaling work optionally over USB on the PS4 instead of just Bluetooth (the USB signaling worked on PC on the old ones and still doesn't on PS4; I have no idea what Sony's deal with this is). Look for the one where the light comes through the top of the touchpad.

Did they ever even sell Slims or Pros with the old one?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 22, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get how someone could hate the PS4 controller. It is pretty great. I hated the Dualshock 3 and loved the 360 controller and I actually prefer the DS4 to the bone controller. They are both pretty good but I actually think the current Xbox controller feels like a downgrade from the 360. Dualshock 4 is tits.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get how someone could hate the PS4 controller. It is pretty great. I hated the Dualshock 3 and loved the 360 controller and I actually prefer the DS4 to the bone controller. They are both pretty good but I actually think the current Xbox controller feels like a downgrade from the 360. Dualshock 4 is tits.
Some people, like me, have never cared for the stick placement. The triggers feel a bit weird, too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

They revised the PS4 controller over a year ago, doing things like fixing the sticks and making the audio interface work on Windows and the control signaling work optionally over USB on the PS4 instead of just Bluetooth (the USB signaling worked on PC on the old ones and still doesn't on PS4; I have no idea what Sony's deal with this is). Look for the one where the light comes through the top of the touchpad.

Did they ever even sell Slims or Pros with the old one?

They revised the controller and still left it as the same 2 dicks hanging design with hosed stick placement? Jesus loving Christ.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I know right

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sorry you can't hold a controller properly

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Dualshock 4 is tits.

Ben Kuchera is that you?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Monday_ posted:

Because the PS4 controller is awful.

Hahaha wow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone must have that gif from the sharktank thread whenever controller chat came up

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

It actually is though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, Sony controllers are bad, which is why they've gone through very minimal design changes since the PS1 and sold hundreds of millions of the things with relatively very few people having any sort of real problem, especially compared to the Stick Drift hit-and-miss issues plaguing Xbox controllers from the 360 onwards including the Elite controllers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's a DS3, the DS4 is bigger. I own a 360 and have a bone controller and find the DS4 quite nice.

Also I never had stick drift on my two wireless 360, wired 360, xbone pad and two DS4 pads. I may be lucky to not have ape hands.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Sakurazuka posted:

Someone must have that gif from the sharktank thread whenever controller chat came up

i got you

HyperPuma fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 22, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Ben Kuchera is that you?

We are legion, apparently?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ty

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

univbee posted:

You may need to get yourself ready for the Xbox experience like Conan, though.

https://i.imgur.com/u1M485N.mp4

Anyhoo if your choice box is Xbox the jist is that the original Xbox One is big, mandates a horizontal orientation, has an annoying power brick which can fail, can't output in HDR, and can't play 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays. The Xbox One S is smaller, has its power brick internally so the power cord is much simpler, and can play 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays. It will operate vertically but you need a stand for it which is generally sold separately. Also the Xbox One S requires a USB adapter if you want a Kinect 2.0, bearing in mind it's like super-dead. For games the framerate and resolution is identical to the original, but some newer games do allow for HDR.

The Xbox One X is going to upgrade a bunch of games similar to the PS4 Pro, with some games apparently downloading mandatory HD assets (all we know is that Forza 7 is meant to be a 100 gig game so even physical copies will have a 40+ gig patch not unlike how Halo 5 currently has a 51.9 gig patch) to these units (but not to the original or the S). More or less the same games getting PS4 Pro Enhancements, assuming they have Xbox versions, will have similar boosts likely pushing things further still, we should know more closer to its launch.

For PS4's the PS4 Pro does 4K gaming now. Every non-pro PS4 is functionally the same, supporting HDR output but not 4K. No PS4 can play Ultra HD Blu-rays, only regular Blu-rays.

Cool, that's the kinda info I was looking for. I'll probably pick up the S. I do like the PS4 exclusives, but I also wanna play pubg and all my buddies already have xbones so my path is set. Thanks for the answers, thread!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

and all my buddies already have xbones

There we go. Have fun!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Do the non-kinect Xbones have microphones in them or what? I need to be able to shout 'XBOX RECORD THAT poo poo' when I brutally get owned as my UAZ does a wicked 2160 kickflip after I drive over a pebble while fighting nerds in PUBG with aim-assist on my master system XBONE X

Also PS4 controller is bad and dumb, why is 40% of the face taken up with a useless trackpad no one has ever used ever except by hitting it literally 100% of the time you try to hit the 'start' button or whatever they call it now

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Do the non-kinect Xbones have microphones in them or what? I need to be able to shout 'XBOX RECORD THAT poo poo' when I brutally get owned as my UAZ does a wicked 2160 kickflip after I drive over a pebble while fighting nerds in PUBG with aim-assist on my master system XBONE X

No microphone, but the Bone S has an IR Blaster (and the X will have it as well).

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 23, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's weird. I assumed they just put a $.03 microphone in the front of the boxes with a grille to accept people shouting "Cortana, if you're not too busy could you please open up the DVR recorder and record the last 30 seconds" or whatever it was they momentarily tried to change it from "XBOX RECORD THAT" to

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cortana! HEY CORTANA.... CORTANA! What the gently caress! hey! Cortana! Cortana, Hey! Oh for gently caress'ssake

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You have been given a yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct.

- FIFA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

You have been given a yellow card for unsportsmanlike conduct.

- FIFA

The best implementation of the microphone, yes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You can yell into your headset, and I think there's a Nyko microphone dearie you can get for your controller if you don't have a Kinect.

The mic should totally be built in to new controllers.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

univbee posted:

Ben Kuchera is that you?

He doesn't tie every single post he makes into his midlife crisis and his five loving kids, so no.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You can yell into your headset, and I think there's a Nyko microphone dearie you can get for your controller if you don't have a Kinect.

The mic should totally be built in to new controllers.

Yeah that's great. Now not only do I hear everything that's going on in some guy's living room, but he's holding the controller in his lap so now I also hear every time he farts or scratches his nuts.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's worse:

Xbox one
PS4 controller
Nintendo switch online

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

What's worse:

Xbox one
PS4 controller
Nintendo switch online

thats's an unfair metric, comparing one good thing to two aids things

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Empress Brosephine posted:

What's worse:

Xbox one
PS4 controller
Nintendo switch online

PS4 Controller.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah that's great. Now not only do I hear everything that's going on in some guy's living room, but he's holding the controller in his lap so now I also hear every time he farts or scratches his nuts.

:roflolmao: You gotta go out of your way to get one of those... and you can easily mute whoever you want.

Blue Raider posted:

thats's an unfair metric, comparing one good thing to two aids things

The Bonetroller will always be on top, it's true!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 23, 2017

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

So I've had a One S for five months. The other night, YouTube or the dashboard glitched bad; I could get the system menu to power it off, which I did.

Now I'm getting a black screen when I start up, and the TV insists no signal is coming from the Bone. I tried the video mode reset thing (eject and power button simultaneously held down), and nothing happens. I tried to restore to default (bind + eject then powering on), nothing happens. Switching cables and TV ports, same thing. Are the button combos different from the original on the S? Or am I just boned and need to send in for warranty repair?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That happened to me recently too...try hooking a optical cable up in case the audio encoder is loving it, that's what it was doing to me. poo poo system.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So I've had a One S for five months. The other night, YouTube or the dashboard glitched bad; I could get the system menu to power it off, which I did.

Now I'm getting a black screen when I start up, and the TV insists no signal is coming from the Bone. I tried the video mode reset thing (eject and power button simultaneously held down), and nothing happens. I tried to restore to default (bind + eject then powering on), nothing happens. Switching cables and TV ports, same thing. Are the button combos different from the original on the S? Or am I just boned and need to send in for warranty repair?

YouTube app on Xbox is pretty trashy. When you get your console working again consider downloading myTube

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Is the kinect the only way I can shriek "xbox on" from across the house, or is there some sort of external microphone solution that would do just fine?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

slap me and kiss me posted:

Is the kinect the only way I can shriek "xbox on" from across the house, or is there some sort of external microphone solution that would do just fine?

You would need to use a microphone connected to an Xbox controller, but first the controller needs to be on and in range. And when you turn the controller on, it already turns the system on.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

You can use the Xbox app on your phone

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
If you use the app, mic, or Kinect you have to make sure Power Saving mode is disabled (which saves a helluva lot of electricity).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Figured since my Xbonx has only gotten about an hour of use in the 2 months I've had it,I better go buy something for it I can't play on PS4 so I grabbed Quantum Break and...this game is way better than I expected. I really didn't hear anything but mediocre things about it, but it's super entertaining. Graphics are phenomenal, shooting feels nice and crunchy and the story is super fun so far. I even like the cheesy TV episodes in between. Seems like a winner so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, people like to complain and spend money on red titles, so...

Enjoy it! If you're into the story you're probably in for a looooong wait for the rest of that story.

It's internally very consistent, and I can see how a couple things will probably be addressed, should a sequel ever be made.

I'd be willing to talk more about it once you're done and feel like it.