Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/DayDreamThis/status/888302175700561920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KAr2qSI-w&t=13s

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Shocking number of people are pulling for Taynara Conti. It's a Brazil thing, though. If I recall, she won that WWE.com poll in a landslide (like 36% of the vote or something). Second place was Kairi Sane with like 10% of the vote.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Taynara come to Brazil

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably should have run the poll before the taping.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Heck yeah, go Evie

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Wrestling fans are the loving worst

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Watching SHIMMER Vol 79.

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Sometimes you gotta beat a bitch with another bitch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Wrestling fans are the loving worst
Its the reason I never go to panels for anything nerdy, I just feel bad for the people who have to listen to these stupid lovely questions and can't escape it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stardom missed io and kairi for about half a second

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/888755663656017920

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWRProWrestling/status/888921386571501568

Don't expect a AIW Girls Night Out show anytime soon either.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/125981

Interesting article from a business website with Asuka basically about her attitudes towards wrestling and business. The machine translation is good enough, but here's some takeaways:

- Apparently she was not well liked by older joshi wrestlers because of her style and attitude, and she took it as a challenge rather than anything else. She was considered a "heretic."

- The WWE apparently respected her more than she felt Japanese promotions did.

- She thinks since the WWE takes the "sports entertainment" approach, it's more fun to watch and Japanese fans are more critical (?!?).

- Her message is believe in yourself, be proud of your past but don't hang your hat on it, look towards the future, etc etc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think it is important to note that her message is also NOBODY CAN BEAT ASUKA!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Huh. Did the older joshi feel that at the beginning of her career? I though Asuka would have been more mild mannered as a rookie.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Asuka says she was pretty outspoken and critical of the way women's wrestling was run, which of course in a traditional Japanese way is indeed considered scandalous, or even as they imply, "heretical." But it seems like she didn't care about the repercussions.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

just want to get out ahead of the pack in declaring tsukushi completely innocent. she was holding a butter knife when kagetsu grabbed her arm and pulled it close and kept on yelling, "why are you trying to stab me so bad. stop doing those stabbing me motions" extremely loud. it was supposed to just be a joke at first but then when a bunch of people took it seriously she was too embarrassed to set the record straight so here we are

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

Huh. Did the older joshi feel that at the beginning of her career? I though Asuka would have been more mild mannered as a rookie.

Oh boy. Asuka was seen as a massive rear end in a top hat in Japan while she was still active there. Good, yes. rear end in a top hat? Definitely. She had a reputation for stiffing/hurting people she didn't like (intentionally). She also burned several bridges while she was there, the most notable being with the Shirai Sisters (Io Shirai and Mio Shirai).

Long story short, she burned bridges with her Joshi wrestling manifesto, REALLY pissing off both Io and Mio. Asuka has apparently since made amends with Io Shirai, but I haven't heard much about Mio Shirai. Then again from what I understand about Mio, its really easy to get her to dislike you, considering she hated her sister at one point as well.

Basically, Mio Shirai basically cut ties for some time with her sister over the Mexico drug smuggling incident that Io had. It doesn't help that at the time (before she was arrested, I think), Io Shirai had publicly stated that she only had three real loves in the world: Cats, wrestling, and weed. She's since apologized for the drama, and calmed down significantly (also she made amends with Mio, working in her retirement match as well). I think the latest bit of drama involving Io Shirai now (if you even want to call it that), was STARDOM being partially blindsided by her announcing that she had a neck injury. No one knows how severe it is, but its bad enough that its forcing her to re-evaluate her career direction.

I think the only thing we've heard on that front though is that she does want to finish up with STARDOM officially before heading over to WWE though (after her neck injury is taken care of). Then again, one of the factors in her actually signing with the WWE was that Bull Nakano told her to do it. Basically the WWE is the best way to make a name for yourself in the western world, at least for female wrestlers. It also helps that Asuka has been treated extremely well so far, and it's looking like Kairi will be as well. Probably because Triple H is a giant Japanese wrestling fan.

That was way more than I meant to write about the joshi scene and its current state/past, but whatever. If people are interested in where its possibly going, let me know, and I'll write about what I think the future will be.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 23, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

just want to get out ahead of the pack in declaring tsukushi completely innocent. she was holding a butter knife when kagetsu grabbed her arm and pulled it close and kept on yelling, "why are you trying to stab me so bad. stop doing those stabbing me motions" extremely loud. it was supposed to just be a joke at first but then when a bunch of people took it seriously she was too embarrassed to set the record straight so here we are

Wait, who was too embarrassed? Kagetsu or Tsukushi?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kag. (short for kagetsu)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Asuka is weird. Here is a match from 2014 SHE BOOKED at her own show where she is getting the poo poo kicked out of her. Apparently, this was done to gain respect of the locker room.

Also, I hate using my own tweet, but I dont know any other easy to way to share the video.

https://twitter.com/DaveMuscarella/status/888824123660660736

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Cavauro posted:

For clarity, Meltzer reported that Tsukushi Fujimoto (ICE Ribbon) had attempted to stab Kagetsu (STARDOM) in a match inside a resturaunt and that Fujimoto had been arrested. Fujimoto was pulled from a couple of shows for "Health reasons" in the next couple days which leads people to believe the story could be true, but Fujimoto has been tweeting since she was "arrested"

DarkstarIV posted:

Oh boy. Asuka was seen as a massive rear end in a top hat in Japan while she was still active there. Good, yes. rear end in a top hat? Definitely. She had a reputation for stiffing/hurting people she didn't like (intentionally). She also burned several bridges while she was there, the most notable being with the Shirai Sisters (Io Shirai and Mio Shirai).

Long story short, she burned bridges with her Joshi wrestling manifesto, REALLY pissing off both Io and Mio. Asuka has apparently since made amends with Io Shirai, but I haven't heard much about Mio Shirai. Then again from what I understand about Mio, its really easy to get her to dislike you, considering she hated her sister at one point as well.

Basically, Mio Shirai basically cut ties for some time with her sister over the Mexico drug smuggling incident that Io had. It doesn't help that at the time (before she was arrested, I think), Io Shirai had publicly stated that she only had three real loves in the world: Cats, wrestling, and weed. She's since apologized for the drama, and calmed down significantly (also she made amends with Mio, working in her retirement match as well). I think the latest bit of drama involving Io Shirai now (if you even want to call it that), was STARDOM being partially blindsided by her announcing that she had a neck injury. No one knows how severe it is, but its bad enough that its forcing her to re-evaluate her career direction.

I think the only thing we've heard on that front though is that she does want to finish up with STARDOM officially before heading over to WWE though (after her neck injury is taken care of). Then again, one of the factors in her actually signing with the WWE was that Bull Nakano told her to do it. Basically the WWE is the best way to make a name for yourself in the western world, at least for female wrestlers. It also helps that Asuka has been treated extremely well so far, and it's looking like Kairi will be as well. Probably because Triple H is a giant Japanese wrestling fan.

That was way more than I meant to write about the joshi scene and its current state/past, but whatever. If people are interested in where its possibly going, let me know, and I'll write about what I think the future will be.
Mio and Asuka were friends long after the manifesto, and they were friends when Io was arrested and they both kind of shunned her. Mio and Asuka have never really had issues as far as I know, Mio had just gone in a different direction and started working more comedy matches with DDT/UNION, Ice Ribbon and Oz Academy which weren't promotions that Asuka typically worked for so they just naturally grew apart because Asuka was making her home in WAVE and helping run Tajiri's SMASH/New Wrestling Classic promotions until they folded and she went to the WWE.

It's true that Asuka almost blackballed herself though, she was very outspoken about hating the "Joshi" style (IE: Models, flippy-type wrestling, and children joining promotions) and she was notorious for being stiff in the ring which upset a lot of people. She found footing in WAVE where there were a lot more wrestlers her style, and she was friends with Shida, Ayumi Kurihara, and Syuri who had similar stuff, kick-boxing/MMA inspired wrestling styles

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 23, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aawpro/status/890368261145186308

danny was at rise and shimmer scouting. would wager the champ is crowned at the bola-killer in october

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

that's a good looking belt

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

their belts are really good yeah

women's division ace scarlett bordeaux starts her stardom tour on 10/14 which would rule her out of a JLMT coronation

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Does Havok still get mega pushed in AAW?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she's gotten wins on the last three lasalle shows i think? over taya valkyrie and sam heights and maybe someone else. hasn't been on the upstate shows since heidi+kimber left. also gets bigger reactions in lasalle than she used to get upstate

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Havok should have been a big deal in NXT if lovely people didn't stalk her tweets from when she was 17 and saying "nigga" to her black friend.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Alternately, she could have not made or simply deleted those posts

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aawpro/status/890657926947516418

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Alternately, she could have not made or simply deleted those posts

I'm sure you've never done anything stupid like picked your nose in public or gave a speech with your pants unzipped.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no you know what? I've been gotten. some body received me. Don't fuckin read this and if you do then send me a pm

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 27, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

https://twitter.com/WWRProWrestling/status/888921386571501568

Don't expect a AIW Girls Night Out show anytime soon either.

AIW hasn't done an all women's show yearly in ever.

WWR announced a new date tho
https://twitter.com/WWRProWrestling/status/889291109150707717

Priscilla Kelly and Deonna PurrazzolseossiufIgiveup on the card.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

coconono posted:

AIW hasn't done an all women's show yearly in ever.

Trying to turn this into English and my best guess is you're claiming AIW run women's shows infrequently?

Not really true as looking at Cagematch they generally seem to have run about two a year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Trying to turn this into English and my best guess is you're claiming AIW run women's shows infrequently?

Not really true as looking at Cagematch they generally seem to have run about two a year.

oh poo poo. My bad.

For some reason my brain stopped processing the existence of GNO shows since like the 7th or 8th one.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
Pardon me if it's been posted and I'm dense....but I'd be interested in reading this Asuka manifesto that y'all are talking about.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ghidzilla posted:

Pardon me if it's been posted and I'm dense....but I'd be interested in reading this Asuka manifesto that y'all are talking about.
I've tried looking for it but since she named her softcore bikini DVD the same thing as a joke, it's really hard to find the actual paper she wrote but I found some posts that summarized it on Reddit.

• Expand joshi wrestling to include other styles
  • Eliminate obviously fake moves
  • Conduct a review of the industry as a whole and get rid of wrestlers there that clearly shouldn't
  • Deal with the negative toxic enivornment of the scene and promote positivity and mutual respect
  • Encourage those who couldn't develop their persona or style to try other industries rather than flounder in uncertainty

She was still essentially a rookie at the time known for having a big mouth and a stiff style so the combination of those two + her trash-talking the women's wrestling in Japan lead to her basically black-balling herself from a lot of companies. Ironically it's because of this she became infamous and buzz started stirring up which is when most people started to pay attention to her. Although she was very serious about the Manifesto she also showed a lot of respect to her elders in the business, especially the men which is what caused her to explode like it did in popularity rather than seeing herself become a Davey Richards or Low-Ki type. She's always loved interacting with her fans and the real life girl is just a giant nerd who's obsessed with video games and American culture.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Women's wrestling in Japan has always been weird. poo poo like max age limits and no boyfriends/partying/tattoos. I'd say its more conservative than Puro by far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Japanese music industry has the same "rules" for women too, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/890995704927092736