Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

raditts posted:

Well I mean, it's not like using it in handheld mode with headphones is some weird out-there use case or something, so it's understandable that you wouldn't want a billion wires and connections if you're out somewhere and not at home.
Handheld mode while using headphones and playing online with voice chat is indeed an edge case scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

raditts posted:

Well I mean, it's not like using it in handheld mode with headphones is some weird out-there use case or something, so it's understandable that you wouldn't want a billion wires and connections if you're out somewhere and not at home.

Or if you have it docked in a regular living room that doesn't have aux cords taped down on the floor or whatever.

People don't like this because 1) The forced smartphone integration is annoying, especially since the phone needs to be unlocked with the screen on, and 2) The potential convenience added by the smartphone integration isn't apparent, and in what would be a normal use case you still need the "bulky gamer headset" with a bunch of wires that Nintendo claimed this would avoid.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

hahaha Mario All-Stars for Wii, a 24--year-old game, was sold for $30 at one point. Even 20 is laughably high.

Mario all-stars is a collection of some of the greatest games. They aren't less fun because they're old, and I hope Nintendo decides to go the "collection of games as a single release" route with the switch instead of the virtual console trickle. Give me the Picross collection with the JP only ones translated!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tender Bender posted:

Well, almost everyone owns a smartphone. I can't think of any other device, that every Nintendo Switch owner would own. Is there anything those people have in common, everyone who owns a Switch, is there anything you know someone has when they buy a Nintendo Switch?

I can't think of anything, so I guess the smartphone idea is perfect.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Tender Bender posted:

Or if you have it docked in a regular living room that doesn't have aux cords taped down on the floor or whatever.

People don't like this because 1) The forced smartphone integration is annoying, especially since the phone needs to be unlocked with the screen on, and 2) The potential convenience added by the smartphone integration isn't apparent, and in what would be a normal use case you still need the "bulky gamer headset" with a bunch of wires that Nintendo claimed this would avoid.
Why are you using a headset in your living room? Use your phone like a normal person.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tender Bender posted:

Who uses headphones while docked?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I do since I plug it into a monitor without speakers. I love that the PS4 has a headphone jack on its controllers

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr Phillby posted:

My point is there is nothing remarkable about the splatoon2 headset and any mirth at the idea of using wires for audio should be directed at literally every piece of non-bluetooth audio equipment in existence.

Like they should deffo sell a bluetooth version too but my Wireless PS4 headset cost nearly three times as much as the Splatoon2 headset so i'm not sure what it is you want from it?

I just think the setup is dumb and some of that is compounded by outside factors from the wires like having to leave your screen on and not able to switch apps or anything. It's just top-to-bottom really klunky.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Tender Bender posted:

Is there anything those people have in common, everyone who owns a Switch, is there anything you know someone has when they buy a Nintendo Switch?

a desire to play stardew valley

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

Why are you using a headset in your living room? Use your phone like a normal person.

People like to use headsets for voice chat so they don't give an echo of game audio/feedback to the people they're chatting with while also not annoying the people they live with with a loud Splatoon conference call.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Needing voice chat in Splatoon means you're playing it wrong. Just spray your color. That's it. That's the strategy.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Feenix posted:

I just think the setup is dumb and some of that is compounded by outside factors from the wires like having to leave your screen on and not able to switch apps or anything. It's just top-to-bottom really klunky.
Oh yeah for sure the App is poo poo for voice chat, just plain worse in every way to the sane non-nintendo way of doing things, and if the hardware/software was better designed you could eliminate the cable split and have it plug straight into the controller.

It's just strange to me, a person who has used wired headsets for many years, that people are pointing at a wiring diagram that's actually relatively simple and acting like it's the most convoluted thing in the world.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RZA Encryption posted:

Mario all-stars is a collection of some of the greatest games. They aren't less fun because they're old, and I hope Nintendo decides to go the "collection of games as a single release" route with the switch instead of the virtual console trickle. Give me the Picross collection with the JP only ones translated!!

I love All-Stars but the Wii collection was so god drat lazy. It was literally just a rom on a DVD and it wasn't even the superior version of All-Stars that includes Super Mario World with the rad Luigi sprite.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh yeah for sure the App is poo poo for voice chat, just plain worse in every way to the sane non-nintendo way of doing things, and if the hardware/software was better designed you could eliminate the cable split and have it plug straight into the controller.

It's just strange to me, a person who has used wired headsets for many years, that people are pointing at a wiring diagram that's actually relatively simple and acting like it's the most convoluted thing in the world.

For real, man?? THIS is how simple voice chat should be:

Not this:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So, Splatoon 2, there a way for me to skip Peal and Marina's longass seemingly-unskippable announcements every time I leave the game and come back? Besides just mashing the A button and cursing?

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 23, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think that second picture is embellishing things a bit.:v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Imagined posted:

So, Splatoon 2, there a way for me to skip Peal and Marina's longass seemingly-unskippable announcements every time I leave the game and come back? Besides just mashing the A button and cursing?

Nope. At least the announcements don't pop up when the maps change in the middle of your play session like they did in Splatoon 1.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Imagined posted:

You watch it and you like the puns, anything else is unfresh.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
check out this convoluted setup

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

RZA Encryption posted:

Needing voice chat in Splatoon means you're playing it wrong. Just spray your color. That's it. That's the strategy.

Tell that to my teammates. :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you have an iPhone don't you also have to buy a headphone jack

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you have an iPhone don't you also have to buy a headphone jack

No. The new iPhones come with lightning connector ear buds and a dongle that allows you to connect any other headset.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

InFlames235 posted:

Vita also had a built-in microphone so you could do voice chat without even needing a headset.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Policenaut posted:

Vita also had a built-in microphone so you could do voice chat without even needing a headset.

Did any Vita game feature voice chat?

Did anyone even use voice chat on the Vita?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rexroom posted:

Vita was the first PlayStation platform to implement Party Chat on a system OS level, so you could voice chat with friends directly through your system while playing any game rather than say using a smartphone app.

I used it while playing Soul Sacrifice Delta and Killzone: Mercenary.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Rexroom posted:

Yes

No

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I would commit a murder to get a Soul Sacrifice sequel on the Switch

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I still haven't been able to get a switch, which seems kinda ridiculous.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I used Vita voice chat playing Helldivers.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

InFlames235 posted:

Not this:

You do realize that the only difference between those two things is that one has an extra wire connected to a phone right? I'm in no way defending the lovely forced phone integration, if that wasn't clear by now. it is dumb that you have to connect your phone and the app is bad at what it is meant to do on a both a technical and conceptual level.

All I'm saying is that if you think having a headset connected to two different devices is shockingly complicated and unweildy then we have very different life experiences w/r/t the use of wired audio equipment.

Also that's a bluetooth headset in the vita example lol

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Mister Facetious posted:

He said top five, not first place.

Bite your tongue! My virtual boy might not have a stand or the cloth piece on the back, but if I lie on the couch I can play it for MINUTES before the piece digging into the bridge of my nose gets too painful!

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who's played Cave Story know if it's possible to ferret out all the secret bits and endings and weapon combinations and such without using a guide? I bought it and got an ending, but it looks like there's more than that to it. I've really enjoyed it, can't believe it's been around this long and i've never played it before.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

RZA Encryption posted:

My strategy is to hang back and let everyone else battle it out while I make sure all the backend is painted and I have a 7-15 record to show for it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tayter Swift posted:

My strategy is to hang back and let everyone else battle it out while I make sure all the backend is painted and I have a 7-15 record to show for it

My strategy of painting everything in sight and getting splatted regularly has gotten me a 10-5 record. Thank god for teammates.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Friends, I have joined the dark side. I bought a screen protector. Literally the first screen protector for anything I have ever purchased. I didn't know the Switch screen was plastic!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Reallllllllly getting tired of people dropping out of Salmon Run matches part way through first round. Bloohooo, you didn't get a "good" weapon, suck it up.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 23, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Huh, this amiFilm protector the thread recommended is actually gorgeous.

First one went on just fine, so I have one left over and all the install mats. If anybody wants it for the cost of shipping, PM me - I've got a million spare bubble mailers so it's no big deal at all.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
That's very cool of you. If I hadn't just bought one I'd take ya up on it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

I'm sure everyone will love to hear your game over the mic in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm sure everyone will love to hear your game over the mic in that case.

I'd do this constantly with Wii U games while sitting right next to the tv and my friends never heard anything. Most modern phones can remove background noise.

• Locked thread