Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

holy loly did they pick the entirely wrong mech to represent copyright infringement on the marauder? how the gently caress did they screw that up so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

holy loly did they pick the entirely wrong mech to represent copyright infringement on the marauder? how the gently caress did they screw that up so bad

They literally just want a settlement. It's like a mob protection money so they probably don't give a gently caress.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/wawd/242820/1-0.html

If anyone wants to read the paperwork.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Time to mount a defense based on "THESE ARE BATTLEMECHS THEY ARE NOT ROBOTS"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm sorry I think you mean "robot warriors".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The good news is, in most of these frivolous bullshit suits, the judge can order them to pay all of the defendant's legal fees.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope :pgi: gets turbofucked. Harmony Gold might actually have something there.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
Can't say I'm a fan of PGI, but the Marauder and Warhammer models were licensed from them, so if they lose bigly then those two are out of the game and any hope of getting others in expansions goes with them. The connection of the HBS images are spurious, but they seem driven by an aggressive legal/negotiating strategy more than anything. What raises my eyebrow is that they also extended their complaint to InMediaRes/CGL, likely over their own remade images, which might bring in Topps as the owner of the tabletop IP.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Their examples aren't even the same mechs that the original designs were licensed (or based on) from - it would be one thing if they went "here's our marauder, here's their marauder, they're the same mech". But they're just throwing out generic here's a "robot warrior" design we own, look these guys are also designing "robot warriors". They might as well claim that they own all bi-pedal mech designs ever. It's just a crash grab.

I mean look at their examples. The mech they claim ripped off the Officer Pod doesn't even have arms. Or a back-mounted gun.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 24, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

Someone bought a Pacer sub and posted this on discord :

Ahahahahahahahaha.

As much as I hate PGI, Harmony Gold can eat a bag of dicks.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm seriously contemplating contacting HG and asking if I can contribute to their legal fund just to cause the HBS discord grogs mass aneurysms.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha.

As much as I hate PGI, Harmony Gold can eat a bag of dicks.

Exosquad was all Playmates ripping off of FASA's pitch for the Battletech cartoon, though they joined with HG to release Robotech crossover merchandise after jointly loving FASA over in the courtroom.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^ Oh, I'm aware. I just put that up because it amuses the hell out of me and Harmony Gold was involved in the lawsuit that got that particular toy Cease & Desisted.

Skoll posted:

I'm seriously contemplating contacting HG and asking if I can contribute to their legal fund just to cause the HBS discord grogs mass aneurysms.

How many LA apartments will you be buying?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Enough apartments to warehouse the salt it will generate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You guys do know that Harmony Gold has been suing them since hte 90s and was responsible for a lot of the art change back in the FASA days, right?

This will probably get settled out of court, but do not be surprised if this game does some Steam Greenlight poo poo or other stuff to make up the money. Unlike Activision, they don't have a megalithic legal department to give HG the finger.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Skimming the paperwork, they correctly matched the MWO Reseen to their older analogues, but then for the comparison against HBS's battletech they just grabbed robots at random even though they correctly matched them like two pages up and the games share art assets.

It's amazing and I hope someone at Harmony Gold gets hit by a car.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It doesn't matter if they can match the reseen to the old infringing model, because the names didn't change. That's not a difficult task (although apparently it is for the braindead monkeys at Harmony Gold). The names weren't what was infringing anyway. The new models are far different than old lovely anime, so that will get laughed out of court if it ever goes.

I think the true comedy scenario would be if, based on ultimately the license for Battletech being leased from Microsoft, that Microsoft would get involved. Harmony Gold lives off making GBS threads on small time devs that don't really have the funds to fight back. If MS jumped in, Harmony Gold would basically have two options: Drop their suit, weakening all future cash-grab claims, or get obliterated in court by an opponent they can't possibly run out of money.

Now, I don't think that will happen. But it would be hilarious if it did.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
How has Paradox been in lawsuits, if any?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaodai posted:

It doesn't matter if they can match the reseen to the old infringing model, because the names didn't change. That's not a difficult task (although apparently it is for the braindead monkeys at Harmony Gold). The names weren't what was infringing anyway. The new models are far different than old lovely anime, so that will get laughed out of court if it ever goes.

I think the true comedy scenario would be if, based on ultimately the license for Battletech being leased from Microsoft, that Microsoft would get involved. Harmony Gold lives off making GBS threads on small time devs that don't really have the funds to fight back. If MS jumped in, Harmony Gold would basically have two options: Drop their suit, weakening all future cash-grab claims, or get obliterated in court by an opponent they can't possibly run out of money.

Now, I don't think that will happen. But it would be hilarious if it did.

The best possible outcome.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
It's a shame HG is trying to make a Copyright case and not a Trademark case.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

A.o.D. posted:

It's a shame HG is trying to make a Copyright case and not a Trademark case.

So they're not even good IP trolls?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Rygar201 posted:

So they're not even good IP trolls?

You go to court with the filings you have, not the filings you want.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

A.o.D. posted:

You go to court with the filings you have, not the filings you want.

In every trial, there known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skoll posted:

PGI is a shitshow but lol if you don't think HG is worse. That's some serious cutting off your nose to spite your face poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

PGI is a shitshow but lol if you don't think HG is worse. That's some serious cutting off your nose to spite your face poo poo.

Fucks given : 0.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Coffeehitler posted:

How has Paradox been in lawsuits, if any?

I don't think so, the biggest issues they've had to deal with was that time a jewish streamer yelled 'Oh thank god for hitler' in a hearts of iron game (I hope this is a thing that actually happened).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I was under the impression that as poo poo as PGI was the general consensus was their models are good and they did good by letting HBS use them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was under the impression that as poo poo as PGI was the general consensus was their models are good and they did good by letting HBS use them.

Yeah, that's the standpoint of most sane people. Skoll's just mega salty about PGI being :pgi:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

That's the correct impression to have but apparently this skoll guy is toy robot game Captain Ahab or something

e:fb

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, that's the standpoint of most sane people. Skoll's just mega salty about PGI being :pgi:

Psycho Landlord posted:

That's the correct impression to have but apparently this skoll guy is toy robot game Captain Ahab or something

e:fb

Neither of these are wrong.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Well let us know how your mad quest to give HG money goes. Or don't. No one cares.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I care skoll.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Note: The complaint is dated 5/1/2017. Since then, HBS has done nothing but move forward, so I'm hoping that is a good sign

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I want to be the federal judge that gets to listen to a bunch of rich lawyers argue about robot warriors.

"Your honor, I submit in exhibit B that the armor scheme of the Battletech Warhammer is significantly different than the Robotech Tomahawk, further more it carries significantly better weaponry."
"OBJECTION"

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

I'm sorry that you aren't getting enough attention

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Maybe an exercise routine might help? Some light lipo?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

succ

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
some mad grogs itt.

gonna donate to HG in all your names.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll posted: