Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netease.z3.android&hl=en

Crusaders of Light is a new MMORPG for Android in the vein of well known themepark style games, such as World of Warcraft, Rift, FF14, etc. From their website:

quote:

Adventure in this Vast 3D Fantasy World redefining the MMORPG experience on mobile. Start your journey by selecting either Ranger, Warrior or Mystic Classes, each with their own distinct strengths and characteristics. Over 300 hours of available gameplay, raids of up to 40 players, and Arena Battles.

The game seems pretty full featured, with very little in the form of pay walls. You roll one of three race/class combos, and after a short tutorial mission, step out into the world. The game follows the standard quest chain system, with dungeons and live pvp sprinkled in. The game features the auto-navigation function that is popping up in alot of games lately, which allows you to autopilot through most quests, which is really great to keep you from having to use the touch controls (which aren't wonderful, but aren't terrible either). Great for multitasking! Just click follow on a party member and you'll engage enemies and keep up with the group.

How to Play With Goons

We are playing on the Fertile Gorge server. Goon guild is GoonSquad (casing sensitive). Play the main quests until you are prompted to join a guild and then search for us.

Discord Link

CLASSES

Each of the 3 classes fit the well known and hatedloved triad of Fighter/Mage/Ranger, each focusing on a couple of different roles. The Holy Trinity is alive and well here, with Tank, DPS, and Healer specs and roles necessary for group content. Each class has 3 "Paths" that they can spec into at level 20, which specialize them into a more specific role, along with opening up talent trees (which level up with their own type of XP that is gained from certain activities, such as Daily Quests) and granting a special active skill that only that Path can use.

Here is a breakdown of what each statistic does for each class.

Warrior

The melee focused bruiser class, and the Barbarian race creates powerful Warriors. Self shields, taunts, aoe Roadhog/Death Grip style pulls, and heavy damage.

EXECUTIONER (DPS)

A ferocious close-range DPS class. Get the Blood Thirst promotion skill that deals heavy damage to one target and applies an attack power buff. Warriors can further specialize, with Executioners being able to deal huge bursts of damage. This is the offensive oriented choice for the warrior class. It's DPS is roughly en par with the Ranger's Scout, but also has huge small AoE output to stacked up mobs.

GLADIATOR (Tank)

A staunch, unwavering defender who bears a mighty shield. Get the Gladiator Heart class skill gives a shield and deals area damage upon expiration. Gladiators are more adept at mitigating their foe's power and withstanding even the most brutal assault. Especially in the end game, this build choice is particularly valuable due to its sturdiness.

FANG OF TITANUS (DPS, Control)

A master of battlefield combat who excels at medium range combat. Get the Death Gaze class skill that pulls in the target to you and deals heavy damage. This is an interesting class as the path skill is Death Gaze which can be cast mid range and pulls the enemy towards you. It is similar to Searing Chains in that it is a mid-range attack.

Mystic

Ranged DPS and healer, all rolled into one. Many of your spells double as healing if you target a party member, including your basic attack.

VERITY SPIRIT (DPS, Support)

A mysterious, dual-path fighter with long-range battle skills. Get the Void Spirit Rain class skill that deals area damage and inflicts the Fear effect. Verity Spirits take a more balanced role, maintaining a strong ability to heal but also utilizing their powers offensively. This class is focused on a lot of AoE upgrades and therefore is best suited for (mass) PvP and areas where a lots of mobs have to be killed fast.

MAGELLANA'S JUDGEMENT (DPS, Control)

The blessing of All-Mother Magellana converts some healing capabilities into the power to inflict much heavier damage. Get the Suppression class skill that deals continuous damage on the target. Those who chose the route of Magellana's Judgement are capable of inflicting crippling damage that persists even after the Judge has turned their attention elsewhere. This path is basically a worse Scout DPS-wise, but with the ability to still be able to decently heal. So it is more versatile, but not as effective when compared to the Scout or Executioner in damage output.

SHEPARD (Healing)

A holy healer who provides invaluable support. Get the Consolation class skill that greatly restores the HP of allies in the Enlightenment state. Mystics can further specialize, with Sheperds focusing their efforts on keeping their allies standing. This is the typical pure healer build. It is needed everywhere.

Ranger

Your classic pubbie bait ranged DPS class. Shoot bows at things and just generally be an idiot.

SCOUT (DPS, Control)

The defender of nature. Get the Starblade Volley class skill that deals heavy damage to one target. Scouts are brutal fighters as well, with a focus on dealing massive damage all at once to overwhelm their foe’s defenses. DPS is all that matters for this choice. The Scout's chances for critical hits are enormous and can be raised through passives even more.

FOREST GUIDE (DPS)

A master of long-range tactics battle techniques. Get the Moonlight class skill that dazes the target and deals damage to it. Rangers have a number of paths available, with Forest Guides being the premier archers amongst them. No matter how far your enemy may be, as long as there is a clear shot, a Forest Guide can hit their mark. This is the PvP focused path of the Ranger.

ANIMAL TAMER (DPS, Support)

A beastmaster who can enlist ferocious creatures to assist in battle. Get the Wild Roar class skill that increases the Attack of teammates. Animal Tamers forgo some of their prowess in archery to instead grow closer to the natural world and utilize powerful pets to accompany them in their adventures. Has loads of party buffs, putting them in high demand.

Path and Talent System

Talent XP (short for talent experience points) are another form of character progression solely used for subclass Path skill trees. You can cross invest into any of your Paths and switch to them on the fly with no penalties, giving you lots of freedom. Each node gives you specialized bonuses and tweaks to your existing skills, and can be leveled multiple times (but are limited by your "core" path talent, which must be raised first). You will need a special item to raise any talent beyond level 10, but these are easily obtained by doing your weekly Guild quests. It is possible to convert normal character experience points into Talent Experience, but not really advised until after you have hit the server level cap. Because of this bottleneck, it is strongly suggested not to multi-class / level up more than one Path until the main path has been maxed out.

More Pics and poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Great breakdown of gear quality and methods of obtaining it.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 30, 2017

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Should probably mention the auto-playing nature of the game that allows you to multi-task with it really well. I can do stuff on my computer and look down every couple minutes and see whether the raid group I'm with hosed up.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Jumpoff posted:

Should probably mention the auto-playing nature of the game that allows you to multi-task with it really well. I can do stuff on my computer and look down every couple minutes and see whether the raid group I'm with hosed up.

I did, in the first paragraph. It's a rad feature.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I'm in as arteaSA. Debating going healer or pure mage dps. I guess it depends if the raids are the same as standard mmos so I can skip queues as a healer.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

m.hache posted:

Ok I'm in as arteaSA. Debating going healer or pure mage dps. I guess it depends if the raids are the same as standard mmos so I can skip queues as a healer.

There is a matching system that let's you browse groups that are looking for members. It isn't like a typical mmorpg that matches you with the appropriate composition.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I did, in the first paragraph. It's a rad feature.

I'm blind! Or I just don't read good.

But yeah, I came around on this game once I made a mage and started melting dudes my level. But now that I know we're getting a goon squad I've resigned myself to heal-bot.

m.hache posted:

I think there is an option, if you're a team lead, that you can filter out people based on level and their role. I need to investigate leading teams more honestly.

Also my one complaint is that I wish you were eligible for EXP after 3 raids over gear. I have great gear, I just want to hit max level ASAP.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

The Jumpoff posted:

Also my one complaint is that I wish you were eligible for EXP after 3 raids over gear. I have great gear, I just want to hit max level ASAP.

THAT'S what it is! I felt really dumb because I got stuck on level 17 after autoing everything up to that point and the next quest was for 18. Tried leveleing through raids and didn't progress and was honestly stumped on how to progress. Seems like spamming groups on other stuff is the way to go? Currently following some guy on 'trials', no idea what's going on but I am at least getting levels again. poo poo's still confusing right now.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nice OP!

There are a number of bottlenecks where you need to be a certain level to advance in the main story. The fastest way to level is to focus on completing your Daily Events, especially Trial Quests and Agitated Elementals. It's easy to AFK by following your party. Your daily Arena and Delivery quests only take a few minutes as well.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you only get raid boss loot and experience for a limited number of raids per day. It's either 6 or 7 and the game doesn't keep track of your daily total even though it totally should. When you're in a raid and you get a message that you're completely exhausted from the brutal raids, you're done for the day.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In as Rupertas on the same server, I'm a ranger, and I think I've played all of 5 minutes of WoW, so I'm not in with all the terms and whatnot, but I get the general gameplay.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

THAT'S what it is! I felt really dumb because I got stuck on level 17 after autoing everything up to that point and the next quest was for 18. Tried leveleing through raids and didn't progress and was honestly stumped on how to progress. Seems like spamming groups on other stuff is the way to go? Currently following some guy on 'trials', no idea what's going on but I am at least getting levels again. poo poo's still confusing right now.

Yeah, i didn't hit a wall until 23, and that was resolved by doing the daily quests and the like.

Forgot to post it originally but i'm in as TheJumpoff, playing a mage. If you're going healer for raids don't forget to switch out to a dps spec for 1v1 arena!

Also, wait a while to do the battlefield quest you get at like level 7 or whatever. It out me in a match vs level 8's and 9's with me at 23. 25 kills, zero deaths, 9000 damage done. I don't know why the matchmaking allowed that but it was an easy rear end win.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In as Rupertas on the same server, I'm a ranger, and I think I've played all of 5 minutes of WoW, so I'm not in with all the terms and whatnot, but I get the general gameplay.

Some basics:

Tank- tough defensive character that keeps the attention of enemies, so that the squishier damage dealers can do their thing.

DPS- damage per second. Catch all term for both the actual damage you do, and the characters that are devoted to damage dealing.

Healer- person who is dedicated to keeping the tank and dps alive.

Holy Trinity- tank, healer, dps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Some basics:

Tank- tough defensive character that keeps the attention of enemies, so that the squishier damage dealers can do their thing.

DPS- damage per second. Catch all term for both the actual damage you do, and the characters that are devoted to damage dealing.

Healer- person who is dedicated to keeping the tank and dps alive.

Holy Trinity- tank, healer, dps.

Oh, sorry, I already knew all of this, but thanks nonetheless!

I just don't understand raiding.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

What do you not understand about it exactly?

Raiding is basically dungeon crawling. You're raiding an enemy stronghold. You kill their captains and officers and they drop good loot.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

So there's two flavors of raids in this game: 5-man dungeons and 40 man dungeons

5 mans are available from level 10 i think and are pretty easy to get into since auto-matching with 4 other people is super easy.

40 man dungeons are larger and are a lot harder to get together via auto-matching. They also break you up into 4 10-person squads for easier management. I haven't done any but i think the minimum level os 25, feel free to correct me anyone.

Raiding/dungeoning in this game is loving easy because you can follow the team lead and the combat will auto-start and stop and you'll also auto-loot the bosses. It's nice to make sure you get a group and then just walk away and come back to new items.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
GoonSquad is up and running in Fertile Gorge!! Post your character names in here so I know who to promote to the limit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

GoonSquad is up and running in Fertile Gorge!! Post your character names in here so I know who to promote to the limit.

I'm definitely in. Character name is Rupertas.

Also, thanks for the raid info. Turns out I already knew that one, too. I guess I thought there was more to it than that. :shobon:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Just joined as ArbetorSA.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

TheJumpoff is ready to heal-bot our way to fat loot.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

joined as queebSA!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

FistEnergy posted:

Joined up to the Guild. ArteaSA

EDIT: I feel like we are getting a crazy influx of healers. Maybe I'll go support/dps mage.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Joined guild as Cleio.

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009
Join as Fiss.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Donincognito would love an invite.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

In as snowmank. Thanks fist!

If it helps I'm a sexy girl elf and can role play as such?

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 24, 2017

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
The game keeps throwing me jn random rear end guilds even though i'm ONLY applying to GoonSquad. I don't know why. Also sorry if i'm spamming invites, i just want to get in and get to grouping up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In as ExplosivoSA, how do I apply to a guild in this?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Joined as VariableSA.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Aulistras for the guild

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

In as ExplosivoSA, how do I apply to a guild in this?

You will need to progress through the main quest until it unlocks.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
In as Kreftan

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Also in as Francofish. I'm the OP so I get an alt.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You will need to progress through the main quest until it unlocks.

Figured this was it! I just unlocked and joined. :)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

IGN: Blackchamber

Just started playing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone know what the hell is going on with the sprites in my game? Everything looks like it's displaying all the sprites in a grid every time there's an ability used. It's weird.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to keep up with the unexpected interest and promote everyone, so include your character names if you haven't, and bug me in guild chat if I missed you. I think there are only a few pubbies so far.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

I'm trying to keep up with the unexpected interest and promote everyone, so include your character names if you haven't, and bug me in guild chat if I missed you. I think there are only a few pubbies so far.

Speaking of, How do you text chat on mobile?

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
SO quick pro-tip: do the guild quests. After you do a certain amount of them you'll get an item called Magellana Emblems, which you need to upgrade your talent spec past level 10. It also gives money to the guild so stuff can be built and upgraded.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011

Speaking of, How do you text chat on mobile?

I found the best way was to double tap the chat window and then go to the channel you want from the side-window that pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Tap the general chat box at the bottom of the screen and the grouping tabs appear on the left. There will be a 'tap to type' box at the top of the window.

• Locked thread