Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Coldforge posted:

Reallllllllly getting tired of people dropping out of Salmon Run matches part way through first round. Bloohooo, you didn't get a "good" weapon, suck it up.

I really doubt they're leaving intentionally. You're basically guaranteed to have to use a weapon you don't like at least once a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Pijeus posted:

Anyone who's played Cave Story know if it's possible to ferret out all the secret bits and endings and weapon combinations and such without using a guide? I bought it and got an ending, but it looks like there's more than that to it. I've really enjoyed it, can't believe it's been around this long and i've never played it before.

The game takes pains to make you feel bad about things you could have done differently.

For more specific info, you can hold your instruction manual up to the light if you got the physical copy. It helps but it doesn't magically get you the ending because the good ending lies past some of the most stupid hard platforming/shooting I've ever played.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm sure everyone will love to hear your game over the mic in that case.
That's not how voice technology works these days.

Honest question: Has anyone complaining about how lovely the phone app is actually used it for voice chat during a game? It certainly doesn't feel like it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

tap my mountain posted:

I really doubt they're leaving intentionally. You're basically guaranteed to have to use a weapon you don't like at least once a game.

It's entirely possible people just have bad wifi. The weirdness that constantly goes on in the pvp matches does seem to suggest that. Love this game; hate the network.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

Honest question: Has anyone complaining about how lovely the phone app is actually used it for voice chat during a game? It certainly doesn't feel like it.

Lol nerds like to bitch about things that don't effect them because.... Idk they have to make sure everyone know how smart they are or something

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I will never say I'm bad at Splatoon again after seeing how bad some of these pubbies are at Salmon Run. Like failing quota on the second wave bad.

Also I really hate the Steelhead boss, and pubbies can't deal with Maws.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

My favorite thing about Maws is both the pun name and the fact her weakness is an explosive in her mouth. Also just had a team of pubbies who had no idea what to do during a mothership invasion

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

I haven't used it, because it's not convenient.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who uses headphones while docked?

headphones sound a lot better than speakers unless you have high end speakers and a room that's set up right so i use headphones 100% of the time for all games and movies

even if you don't care about sound quality, being able to tell what's going on around you in games is pretty cool

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bill Barber posted:

I have. It's bad. Also it drained my battery a lot faster than I care for since I had to leave my phone unlocked for it to work 'properly' (and also nix notifications from literally everything else since that seemed to interrupt voice all the drat time). Uninstalled after one game of Splatoon 2, utterly worthless, and I'm not about to buy some extra peripheral to mix voice chat and in-game sounds properly.

When multiple examples of how voice chat with friends or opponents can be done better exist, there is nothing defensible about this set up. All of the functionality they could bake into the app to improve its value would be better served on the system itself. If the system isn't able to handle a party chat set up, that's a flaw with the hardware. The Vita was able to handle party chat with literally any game I wanted to play on it. I have friends I would talk over party chat while grinding in Dragon's Crown, Persona 4, or playing Killzone. It's disappointing that I can't do anything like this on the newer switch to any degree of reasonable convenience.

The constant excuse that gets brought up in this thread is that they don't want to deal with assholes on the internet, and that's a fair call to make. Thanks to PS4's/Vita's party chat and the fact that most games let you mute or otherwise opt out of voice chat these days, that hasn't been a problem for me in years. I still get in game sound through my headset, and I still can talk to people I want to talk to in every game I have interest in playing online. It's even less of an issue on PC thanks to third party apps like Discord, which conveniently attenuate in game sound and voice chat, so I never feel as though I'm inconveniencing myself just to get this very basic functionality to work.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

phone microphones sound bad and i hate listening to them

thats my input

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

headphones sound a lot better than speakers unless you have high end speakers and a room that's set up right so i use headphones 100% of the time for all games and movies

even if you don't care about sound quality, being able to tell what's going on around you in games is pretty cool

i play my switch on a pc monitor with awful horrendous built-in speakers so i use my shp9500 headphones on the switch and it's just dandy

that said i really wish the pro controller had a headphone jack so i wasn't tethered to the console in docked mode

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 24, 2017

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

this whole phone app stuff to voice chat won't survive at the end of the year!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't use the app to do voice stuff, but it sure has taken over my phone. When the app is in memory (on Android at least), the volume rocker changes the call volume, not the ringer volume. Even if you are in another app or at your home screen, try changing the volume on the phone and it'll adjust the in call volume. You have to hit the recent apps button and swipe away the Switch app to get your volume rocker working properly again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rexroom posted:

Did any Vita game feature voice chat?

Did anyone even use voice chat on the Vita?

edf edf edf

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I used the microphone for Frobisher Says

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe they are putting Mario characters in Stardew Valley like they did with Minecraft and Rabbids....maybe that's why it is taking this long.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

whaley posted:

check out this convoluted setup

What's that port those wired things are connected to on your iPhone? I don't recognize it, and can't find it anywhere on the page for the 7/7 Plus...

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Mister Facetious posted:

What's that port those wired things are connected to on your iPhone? I don't recognize it, and can't find it anywhere on the page for the 7/7 Plus...

You realize every iPhone 7/7+ comes with a headphone adaptor don't you?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

How does it work because my S8 has no issue picking up game audio from my monitors.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think the joke is that the picture in question isn't an iPhone 7/+ and it's using a standard jack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bill Barber posted:

If you seriously think Nintendo put in noise cancellation or voice activation in an app that only works when the screen is on

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

loving LOL if you have wired headphones in 2017.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What's this for?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Agreed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:same:

Bluetooth convenience for life.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

What's this for?

Flag 1 dry.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

What's this for?

Fresh bonus. Every win is +1, every loss is -0.5, you get XP bonuses at 5, 10, and 15.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

What's this for?

It's your victory streak, every 5 points you get an exp bonus. Only applies to turf war. Winning gives you one point, losing docks you half a point. Max might be 15 but don't quote me on that

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

Fresh bonus. Every win is +1, every loss is -0.5, you get XP bonuses at 5, 10, and 15.

Oh okay. Thanks! I did get a Fresh bonus at one point but never saw it explained.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Is the fresh bonus weapon-specific?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am not a millionaire just yet

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I played some Splatoon 2 hours ago and put my Switch in sleep mode. But I came back and found an error screen on the Switch while still in dock. I rebooted it as the screen said and now it's stuck on the boot screen no matter what I do. I guess I'll be contacting Nintendo repair tomorrow :sigh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

the superior version of All-Stars that includes Super Mario World with the rad Luigi sprite.

The what now?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I played some Splatoon 2 hours ago and put my Switch in sleep mode. But I came back and found an error screen on the Switch while still in dock. I rebooted it as the screen said and now it's stuck on the boot screen no matter what I do. I guess I'll be contacting Nintendo repair tomorrow :sigh:
Hold the power button for like 2 minutes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

raditts posted:

The what now?

https://youtu.be/bq-Fmg73Kdc

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

wired headphones sound better because of bluetooth limitations tbh. not that all bluetooth headphones are bad, there's some decent sounding ones.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Hold the power button for like 2 minutes.

Hasn't worked :smith:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have both wired and bluetooth headphones still and they are both good in different situations. Quite often I prefer my wired ones in situations where I'll be sitting for extended periods of time (like, idk, on a plane) and there's no loving reason to have headphones on that have batteries that wear down. There's nothing more annoying than when the stupid things run out if you don't have an alternative, and frequently the alternative has no drawbacks comparatively.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That blows man hope it gets fixed quick

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

wired headphones sound better because of bluetooth limitations tbh. not that all bluetooth headphones are bad, there's some decent sounding ones.

Well I guess most goons wouldn't care about looking like a goober in public with wired over-ear cans, and their half-inch thick braided dual driver cable...

Goes with the vapesaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Well I guess most goons wouldn't care about looking like a goober in public with wired over-ear cans...

i mean yeah there's definitely situations where bluetooth style cans are preferable, like being out and about, but i pretty much only wear headphones while at home so i guess it never really applied to me

• Locked thread