Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Have you considered that it might be the fault of this DeskView program?

I see, so having it work perfectly before the Creators update is entirely the programs fault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Robzilla posted:

I see, so having it work perfectly before the Creators update is entirely the programs fault?

If Microsoft changed something unrelated and they didn't adjust, yes?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Robzilla posted:

yes. hacks that mess with the windows UI have a notoriously short shelf life. they're not using any type of officially supported methods to do the things they do, so they tend to break whenever anything changes. then either the original programmer is still around and updates it, or they're not and it's gone.

the really surprising thing here is that a program from the windows XP days worked for as long as it did.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why?

Why the gently caress is Windows always doing some performance impairing poo poo in background? Today I noticed my system being pegged at 100% for no goddamn reason, and it turns out Windows is get logging some presumably useless poo poo I didn't opt into. This went on for almost ten minutes. The goddamn file in question is only 2MB large, so I'm not sure what ten minutes at 20MB/s did actually do!

Oh dear God, please get Shantanu Narayen to see the light and port the loving Creative Cloud to Linux, so I can leave this annoying as gently caress operating system!

--edit:
Oh for fucks sake, it's doing this whenever I play GTA5. So this goddamn operating system ate away at my write endurance whenever I played this game, and it was a lot. I'm so tired of this poo poo!

--edit:
Oh wow, I "fixed" it by setting it to read-only. Now Windows Defender is going at it, tracing some bullshit judging the filename, with constant 2MB/s while the game's running.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 24, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

isndl posted:

Today I got a new one: hit the keyboard to wake the PC and get the lock screen, lock screen background appears and... that's it. No text or icons, no password entry field, hitting some more keys and clicking does nothing, wave the mouse and I can see the cursor move so it's not hard-locked. Try Ctrl-Alt-Del and the password field shows up and everything's back to normal. I can see the average home user being completely stumped and being forced to hit the power button by this though.

That's weird -- it almost sounds like secure login spuriously enabled itself? What you describe is exactly what it looks like, except it does display text explaining to "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to unlock".

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jan posted:

That's weird -- it almost sounds like secure login spuriously enabled itself? What you describe is exactly what it looks like, except it does display text explaining to "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to unlock".

No clue, I haven't used secure login with Win10. My best guess is the script that pulls new backgrounds and cutesy labels from the cloud hiccuped and died and it was also supposed to set up the hooks for showing the password field.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why?

Why the gently caress is Windows always doing some performance impairing poo poo in background? Today I noticed my system being pegged at 100% for no goddamn reason, and it turns out Windows is get logging some presumably useless poo poo I didn't opt into. This went on for almost ten minutes. The goddamn file in question is only 2MB large, so I'm not sure what ten minutes at 20MB/s did actually do!

Oh dear God, please get Shantanu Narayen to see the light and port the loving Creative Cloud to Linux, so I can leave this annoying as gently caress operating system!

--edit:
Oh for fucks sake, it's doing this whenever I play GTA5. So this goddamn operating system ate away at my write endurance whenever I played this game, and it was a lot. I'm so tired of this poo poo!

--edit:
Oh wow, I "fixed" it by setting it to read-only. Now Windows Defender is going at it, tracing some bullshit judging the filename, with constant 2MB/s while the game's running.

Weirdly every mention I see on the internet of this same issue is complaining about it happening while playing GTA5. This is a feature that's been around since windows 8.1 and it doesn't seem to be a common issue until now.

Why a system service designed to collect info on battery use during standby is being triggered by GTA is a good question.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have no idea. Someone however showed me where that stuff is actually configured. It's under Data Collector Sets -> Event Trace Sessions in Perfmon. I've actually deleted the relevant entry, because I'm not even sure why I'd need it or why it is enabled, because it's a high end desktop, not a laptop.

GTA also seems to trigger some Windows Defender trace at 2MB/s, which was found in the same place in Perfmon. It had however a weird name with some UUID, so it probably gets created dynamically. Still have to try.

What irks me mostly about it is that it yet again created a lot of writes on my SSD for an unknown time. Just a couple of months ago I had the SoftwareDistribution stuff generate like 2.4TB of writes because of some idiotic bug. Given that SSDs have quasi finite life, that sort of stuff is not appreciated. If that bug happened for a while, if the write rate of 20MB/s was consistent, that'd be 72GB per hour of gameplay. Not cool.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like how you blame windows and not GTA5.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

It's a windows service writing ridiculous amounts of performance data to a file in system32.

It is absolutely windows' fault.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a service designed to only run while the computer is unattended, and if the incidence of it crapping out is significantly correlated to one specific program it's probably more likely some special thing that program is doing that's triggering Windows to believe it needs to run unattended diagnostics than a general Windows bug.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Windows 10: Your third party software is a piece of poo poo

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Your ssd with that happening probably still has more life than any platter hdd. They last a stupid long time now

isndl
May 2, 2012
It wouldn't surprise me if some overworked game dev flagged his executable for Windows logging for performance metrics then neglected to turn it off for release. Neither would it surprise me if the Defender trace is the result of some half baked copy protection that sets off flags.

Given that it's consistent with one executable and absent of others, I'm inclined to blame the executable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I think the operating system should be hardened against the case of something pretending to the operating system that the user is leaving and returning to the workstation several times a second. That's the sort of events that would have to be debounced.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Your ssd with that happening probably still has more life than any platter hdd. They last a stupid long time now
From what I've seen in recent tests, it's essentially only Samsung whose flash modules support magnitudes more writes than what they advertise. So no, still not cool.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 24, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why?

--edit:

--edit:

Yeah, I have similar problems with the Compatibility Telemetry check thing. Slams the CPU at weird times and doesn't schedule as background priority. Thanks, Microsoft.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jeoh posted:

Windows 10: Your third party software is a piece of poo poo

Have you read The Old New Thing?

Raymond regularly posts about horrible poo poo being done by widely used software which Microsoft has implemented workarounds for to maintain compatibility when updating to a new OS or even just fixing bugs, because people are dumb and if two wrongs accidentally made a right they'd rather just leave it as-is.

It's a semi-regular thing at Microsoft's scale to have a fix for a real problem end up breaking some major piece of software that somehow relied on that bug. I say the correct answer is to fix the problem and call out the broken software, but business politics seem to make the second part challenging for a lot of companies.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh cool, his blog is still active. Something to read.

Also, the OS reinstalled the trace after a reboot. :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All this background garbage is why I am considering going to Windows Enterprise LTSB. Pretty sure none of that trash is in that product.. It would be nice to know for sure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

underage at the vape shop posted:

Additionally a lot of these things that are supposedly writing 20 megabytes a minute to disk are actually resulting in much fewer writes to the SSD, because of how caching in the drive ends up working.

Like that happened last year when people were freaking out about Chrome or Firefox apparently writing gigabytes of data a day as you browsed, but it was actually putting only a few megabytes a day onto disk.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034825/features-that-are-removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up

They're trying to kill off screensavers! What the gently caress?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I don't think I've used a screeensaver since Windows XP.

Also, they have not been good since the Maze3D screensaver.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Who cares about screensavers? Paint is getting deprecated!

--edit: TCP Offload Engine is being removed? I thought the Chimney stack was such a big thing back in the day? Gotta read up on that.
--edit: Oh hey, it was disabled by default since Win8/2012.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 25, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeeeeah, Microsoft doesn't trust your NIC as much as they used to.

:rant:

Not that I've used one in a decade but it's the principle of the thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes posted:

All this background garbage is why I am considering going to Windows Enterprise LTSB. Pretty sure none of that trash is in that product.. It would be nice to know for sure.
SleepStudy is present in Windows Enterprise LTSB.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A good choice - I wonder if they're killing the .scr hooks as well.

The most Microsoft part of this update is that the Reader App is marked as Removed with a note that its functionality is "to be" integrated with Edge.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Screensaver files are just normal Win32 applications anyway, so it's one of those things that should be easily doable with third party software once the Microsoft controls are removed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

Screensaver files are just normal Win32 applications anyway, so it's one of those things that should be easily doable with third party software once the Microsoft controls are removed.

To fully replicate the NT screensaver model you also have to run it on an isolated Desktop object. And to activate automatically you'd have to monitor for input activity in a non-intrusive way, and of course implement the broadcast to running programs to allow them to block the screensaver.

Edit:
Actually, reading it:

quote:

Screen saver functionality in Themes

To be disabled in Themes (classified as "Removed" in this table). Screen saver functionality in Group Policies, Control Panel, and Sysprep is now deprecated but continues to be functional. Lockscreen features and policies are preferred.
In particular the Control Panel bit. I assume it means you won't find a link to screensavers in the UWP Settings thing, but still in the classic Control Panel.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 25, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The number of comments I've seen screaming blue murder over Paint being deprecated are just precious, and a timely reminder of why I stopped reading comments.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Oh good because what we needed is more feature disparity between Settings and Control Panel.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

peak debt posted:

Oh good because what we needed is more feature disparity between Settings and Control Panel.

Currently the settings app has a link to the old screen saver control panel UI. Not like you're missing much.

The real problem is that like everything else on the 'modern'side the Setting app is worse than the old Control Panel

isndl
May 2, 2012

dissss posted:

Currently the settings app has a link to the old screen saver control panel UI. Not like you're missing much.

The real problem is that like everything else on the 'modern'side the Setting app is worse than the old Control Panel

Worst part about the new Settings app for me is how they seem to be avoiding changing the top level categories and everything is jumbled as a result. System has become a catch-all for anything they weren't sure what to do with. Even if I know exactly what I want to change I have to use the search box to find it most of the time and sometimes the search function is broken for ??? reason.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The number of comments I've seen screaming blue murder over Paint being deprecated are just precious, and a timely reminder of why I stopped reading comments.
Eh, if I want to quickly toss a screenshot to disk without requiring third party tools, it was nice. Also, apparently the resizing algorithm in it is exceptional for photos (you can achieve similar with doing box blur and then NN resample in Photoshop, but Paint does for some reason still deal better with aliasing).

Paint 3D just doesn't work right. While it adapts the canvas to the size of the clipboard contents, it does weird things to the image quality during a paste. Things get a tiny bit blurry.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
otoh if Paint.Net isnt installed on your PC on the first day you're not doing anything correctly either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na, everyone gets Adobe Creative Cloud.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, if I want to quickly toss a screenshot to disk without requiring third party tools, it was nice.

Why not use Snipping Tool?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also Print Screen saves direct to your screenshot folder now.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows+PrintScreen does. Thanks for that, I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

SleepStudy is present in Windows Enterprise LTSB.

Thats supposed to be something to monitor battery drain? Is it telemetry somehow?