Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

This is clearly good for star citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, if true we'd better get our poo poo together and back ASAP, considering how close we surely are to star citizen's complete and feature-robust launch.

Like, wtf how is that supposed any kind of threat to us? I would gladly pay a monthly subscription for the game star citizen was supposed to be, but the project is so far from that it's not even recognizable.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol are they now admitting it's pay to win

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

toanoradian posted:

You can apparently read the code that is being printed here, in PDF form. it's 88M in size, so it must be like thousands of pages long. Seems reasonable to me.

Now that I look at it, it does strike a very good resemblance.

From some other site the printouts maybe look like:

But more importantly, these sites make it clear that it is her and her teams code that she is next to. Because that would be an inhuman amount of code to write for one person.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Lol are they now admitting it's pay to win

After the amount of money some people have dumped into this tire fire, they want it to be, because it's the only way it'd be worth it. It's funny to me that there's so much GOONFEAR about griefing if this game ever comes out, but the whales don't seem to understand that they're paying money to more or less be able to poo poo on everyone else and that's exactly the same thing.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Stealing some spergs javelin and seeing how many other chariots you can plow through before flying into the sun would be the holy grail of goon gaming.

It's not that we want the project to fail, it's just the inevitable consequence of giving Chris Roberts money.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Combat Theory posted:

Oh and this is far from the worst of stories that you will find if you dig your head into this Data... but thats for another time.

Please post them soon! Your post about their desync issues is the kind of thing that makes this thread so interesting and I'd love to hear more.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I love how the default male bald spaceman is in this character creation shot

lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW5wz09jZT2/

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Exinos posted:

Stealing some spergs javelin and seeing how many other chariots you can plow through before flying into the sun would be the holy grail of goon gaming.

It's not that we want the project to fail, it's just the inevitable consequence of giving Chris Roberts money.

I don't follow or play EVE, but when I asked Goons if I could play with them and asked them what I could do and their response was "We're going to put you in a lovely ship and your only job is to tractor beam people so we can blow them up" I immediately knew I was home. Also the Frogs in Elite doing ridiculous chain interdiction on people while big battles happen so other clans can't reinforce is the funniest poo poo. I love it.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Please post them soon! Your post about their desync issues is the kind of thing that makes this thread so interesting and I'd love to hear more.

Oh dont worry. Next time I guess I'll tell you the story that actually got me to refund, it makes the desync stuff sound pale in comparison. But that's gonna be a long post again ;)

Goodnight for today friends.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sillybones posted:

From some other site the printouts maybe look like:

But more importantly, these sites make it clear that it is her and her teams code that she is next to. Because that would be an inhuman amount of code to write for one person.
I can tell this isn't real code because there's words in there describing what things are supposed to be doing.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Combat Theory posted:

I think we witness the evolution of counter-FUD right now.

What will happen next? Goons asking citizens to stop spreading FUD?

I did just that recently here, and included my own attempt at positive facts to be excited about. But hardly anybody obliged.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Aahahahahahaha Oh that's good stuff, thanks for the effort of presenting it so nicely too.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Kromlech posted:

Someone in discord just said, "Those who didn't back star citizen and buy a package before release will have to pay a monthly subscription. Get rekt non backers."

What's he talking about, fellow rektfolk?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
A subscription system is not that far fetched if CIG plans to stay in business after they allow jpegs to be bought with in game money.

From a business standpoint it's the only option. They'd never make enough money from game sales to keep the doors open.

They either go subscription, continue to be Pay2Win/Play with ongoing ship sales and only making certain ships available to buy in game, or they go for broke and do a subscription and Pay2Win/Play model.

Because I know CIG loves money more than people or having a good reputation, I'd put my bank on CIG going with a continued Pay2Win/Play model on top of subscriptions.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kromlech posted:

I mean, if true we'd better get our poo poo together and back ASAP, considering how close we surely are to star citizen's complete and feature-robust launch.

Like, wtf how is that supposed any kind of threat to us? I would gladly pay a monthly subscription for the game star citizen was supposed to be, but the project is so far from that it's not even recognizable.
This is seriously one of the weirdest things I've seen from the Cult of Crobbers; the threat of a successful game as a stick to wave at doubters. A lot of people here were backers or would be the sort of person to go "hey, that looks neat, I would pay money for that," should the game actually release in a state resembling what it was promised. Like, that's how a free marketplace works. You bring a good product, I open my wallet. You show me a poo poo product, I close my wallet. There's no law that says I am not not allowed to change my mind should the quality of the product change. A good product that turns bad stops being purchased. A bad product that is improved is no longer avoided. It would not shatter my ego to be pleasantly surprised that a project that looked on the cusp of failure for so long has miraculously turned itself around and delivered the goods as described. I would like to be wrong about the direction of the project! But I'm likely not wrong, so I'll take a subsidiary benefit to following this trainwreck which is schadenfreude in its purest form.

I'll gladly trade being smug on the Internet for countless hours of revolutionary game play. That offer stands until the moment Coutts forecloses on the the studio.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Ghostlight posted:

I can tell this isn't real code because there's words in there describing what things are supposed to be doing.

According to this interview, she herself said that she is "standing next to listings of the actual Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) source code. To clarify, there are no other kinds of printouts, like debugging printouts, or logs, or what have you, in the picture."

So maybe listings of source code is written differently back then?

edit: or maybe your post is a joke about coding and I just don't get it. I'm sorry.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 24, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can confirm it was a joke about coding.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Titanic posted:

A subscription system is not that far fetched if CIG plans to stay in business after they allow jpegs to be bought with in game money.

It'll be the first MMORPG that has a $100/mo. subscription.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

toanoradian posted:

edit: or maybe your post is a joke about coding and I just don't get it. I'm sorry.

I'm pretty sure it's a you don't understand game development joke, where most code is supposed to have plenty of descriptors; non-code text describing what you are doing and why, so anyone else who has to use your code knows exactly what you are doing and can modify it without causing unintended bugs. But the code shown by CIG on their videos don't have useful descriptors, so clearly they aren't needed, and the reason why CIG can't fix a bug without creating two more is just because they are working on features that are just so advanced and revolutionary, that you obviously will hit delays and rework if only you understood game development.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TheAgent posted:

I love how the default male bald spaceman is in this character creation shot

lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW5wz09jZT2/

"What will your character look like in the Verse?"

I mean, wow:

Is that a photograph or is this really in the game? Truly Start Citizen is doing more than any game before. When I saw this I dropped my child and made a excited sound similar to sneakers on a basketball court.

Unrelated: Have they seriously not worked out how to do hair yet? Maybe they should put up an advertisement to get a hire specifically to solve that problem.

Ghostlight posted:

Looks like someone doesn't understand game development.

toanoradian posted:

According to this interview, she herself said that she is "standing next to listings of the actual Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) source code. To clarify, there are no other kinds of printouts, like debugging printouts, or logs, or what have you, in the picture."

So maybe listings of source code is written differently back then?

Looks like someone doesn't understand joke development.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 24, 2017

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

"What will your character look like in the Verse?"

I mean, wow:

Is that a photograph or is this really in the game? Truly Start Citizen is doing more than any game before. When I saw this I dropped my child and made a excited sound similar to sneakers on a basketball court.

Unrelated: Have they seriously not worked out how to do hair yet? Maybe they should put up an advertisement to get a hire specifically to solve that problem.

Star Citizen - Hair is a stretch goal

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Five foot ten, strongly built, about 180 pounds; hair blonde, eyes pale blue. He'd be about 35 now."

Then cig will put a woman suit on the guy, and backers will go play lambs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sillybones posted:

Like a year ago they had some hair technology they were showing on one of their shows. It was different from the one hey have now because characters could actually have long-ish hair. But they took the Chris Roberts approach and actually modeled the hair with a billion polygons so I guess that went nowhere.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Sweet, I didn't miss out on the Women Who Don't Get Enough Credit In Computing chat! My nominees are:

Henriette Avram, who started her career in pre-med, married in 1941, had children, and then went back to school to become a mathematician and work for the NSA. More-or-less nothing is known of her work at the NSA, even though it was in the early 1950s and it is difficult to conceive of it still being relevant to national security. In any case, her work there isn't what made her a household name -- if you share a household with a librarian, anyway. Avram went on to work for the Library of Congress, where she designed, implemented, ran the nation-wide pilot program for, and pushed through as an international standard, MARC, which is still used in functionally all libraries as the electronic format for bibliographic data. If you really enjoy computing history, I recommend finding a copy of the MARC Pilot Project report and giving it a read.

Barbara Liskov. Dr. Liskov is a Turing award winner, and did much of the research work which supports modern distributed computing systems. As such, she has worked extensively in areas like fault tolerance and consistency, which are some of the deepest and most difficult areas of computing I've ever dipped my toes into. This also means that almost every programmer currently working (her Turing award was for work which led to the development of Object Oriented Programming), and almost everyone using computers which touch the internet (the back-end systems at Google, Amazon, and even more prosaic things like the storage systems at Netflix, couldn't exist without her distributed systems work) stands on her shoulders everyday. Yet she is almost unknown because (A) she's a woman and (B) infrastructure work isn't sexy in computing, which is just as faddish and trend-driven as anything else.

Edit: Radia Perlman, who invented the spanning-tree protocol, which enabled networks to grow to almost arbitrary sizes without packet storms and routing loops. You wouldn't have the internet as you know it without this.

starkebn posted:

what's the big angst about women not getting recognition?

You're asking why systemic, institutionalized sexism is problematic. I am willing to do a Gorf-style writeup to answer you, but it's going to have to wait until later tomorrow. I'm already up too late and I have a lot to do in the morning.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 24, 2017

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

No 3.0 in August, says Gamestar

http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/Alpha-30-Release-spaeter-verschoben-Gamestar-Titelstory-Chris-Roberts-1233718/

Excerpt/quote:

"Wie unser Besuch in Frankfurt gezeigt hat, sind diese [die Integration der Ingame-Physik, Anm. d. Red.] und viele andere Herausforderungen längst noch nicht bewältigt. Bedenkt man gleichzeitig die bisherige Entwicklungsgeschichte von Star Citizen, würde es wohl ganz unabhängig davon niemanden wundern, wenn sich die Veröffentlichung der zuletzt für den Sommer anvisierten Alpha 3.0 erneut um den ein oder anderen Monat nach hinten verschiebt."

Translation:
"Our visit to Frankfurt made clear: many challenges (like integration of ingame-physics) are far from beeing conquered. Looking at the whole Star Citizen development history, it wouldn't surpsise no one if the release of alpha 3.0 - originally planned for summer - would be delayed by one month or another."

This is good for Star Citizen because...

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 24, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Apart from a few games programmers from the last few decades I couldn't tell you a single important person from Computer Science apart from maybe Turing if he counts, so what's the big angst about women not getting recognition?

I do know the genius Chris Roberts though, of course.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

starkebn posted:

Apart from a few games programmers from the last few decades I couldn't tell you a single important person from Computer Science apart from maybe Turing if he counts, so what's the big angst about women not getting recognition?

I'm so bad with computer science I couldn't interpret a coding joke, but even I can tell a more recent important contributor to computer science: the founder of Microsoft, Bill Microsoft.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Thanks for the app suggestions, guys. :3:

I'm so bored i might also start a few discussions with the backers to see if i can understand their reasoning better.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

starkebn posted:

Bjarne Stroustrup. Linus Torvald... That's all I've got.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

:yayclod:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Ben Lesnik, Developer.
CS enough I suppose?

Some kinda soul pay the tax, tia.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides, better known as the Gang of Four. Too often I have to deal with code where it is quite obvious that the developer who wrote it never heard those names :/

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Sillybones posted:

Bjarne Stroustrup. Linus Torvald... That's all I've got.

Yeah, except you can argue that the direct contribution of Andrew Tanenbaum is much bigger than Torvalds' and that Stroustrup did more harm than good.

no_recall posted:

Some kinda soul pay the tax, tia.

Catt(l)e Tax

Toblakai fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 24, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen - Hair is a stretch goal

I hope we can choose different weaves for our chest, arm and leg hairs. Oh and nose hairs.

Fidelity! :byodood:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Gotta wonder how long before Shitizens start using the Ready Player One trailer as an excuse for all the Crobbling in Star Citizen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiK2fhOY0nE

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the character creator will support custom tattoos so I can have "heaven this way" in comic sans on the stomach and a large arrow pointing to the crotch of my avatar who will never wear clothes.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
Ben Lesnick, Developer.

StraightFace fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 2, 2018

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/108211-star-citizen-alpha-3-teaser-video-shows-moon-landings/

with a shout out to Gorf at the end :airquote: apparently :airquote: :smug:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Caught up with the Thread. Woo! Now I have nothing else to do but actual work. Boo

How was everyones weekend? I went camping and swam with seals :3: . It was kickass, and made me realise how awesome it will be when I can do the same thing in Star Citizen, but with 500,000 other commandos.