Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh, they have a girl one :buddy:

I highly recommend you check out Godanner. If you know what I mean. Girl mechas with bouncing boobs: Pacific Rim 3.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Through The Decade posted:

I'm getting the impression it's only one pilot per Jaeger this time, which means less opportunity for whining about partners and teamwork and trust and looking out for each other. I mean that as a bad thing.

Also, "the drift" was super interesting and the first film barely explored it. But if it's one pilot, that goes out the window. Top Gun with fighting robots. Which could be fine but sounds pretty generic.

I'm with the people who are lukewarm on the new jaeger designs, though. I loving loved how weird and strangely-proportioned the original ones were. A nuclear reactor tankbot, a three-armed camera-face hunchback...now they all look like Striker Eureka, who was purposefully slick and "cool" looking to serve the Buzz Lightyear / Woody tension with Gipsy.

I hope this movie is good. My fanfic hope was probably asking too much, that the "new" jaegers would all be improvised rebuilds of scrapped old ones. I mean, what did Matador Fury look like? Because that name is loving amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Like everybody else, I'm not impressed by these new Jaegers and their boring names. Well, here's hoping for the best.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mandatory Assembly posted:

This trailer is silly. What is the point of having a trailer full of Jaegers with nothing else in the shot to give you a sense of visual scale, which is the thing that makes them awesome? They may as well be power rangers.

Glad Boyega gets to be British for once.

Uh wasn't he British in like the only other movie he's known for besides star wars ?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll probably go see it anyway but none of those designs are half as good as the nuclear reactor head robot from the first one. :(

Names are still real loving good though.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ever watch Spartacus on Starz? Or the first season of Daredevil?

Yeah, he's why both of those owned.

And it's got Gannicus and Ashur, to boot.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 22, 2017

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Pacific Rim was the most fun in a theater I've ever had without unzipping anything. Godzilla 2014 was the most hype experience ever. Shin Godzilla was a horrifyingly amazing take on Evangelion.

Pacific Rim still has one of the best theme songs ever.

I got pumped as hell for that trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Pacific Rim was the most fun in a theater I've ever had without unzipping anything.

:chloe:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dreffen posted:

And it's got Gannicus and Ashur, to boot.

MY COCK RAGES ON :gizz:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

banned from Starbucks posted:

Uh wasn't he British in like the only other movie he's known for besides star wars ?

Guess you didn't see The Circle or Imperial Dreams? The dude has been playing Americans in Hollywood pictures ever since Attack the Block (which was like 7 years ago).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Those designs are so utterly flavorless and mediocre. Do all of them have a T-shape visor thing going on? The names, too, don't have nearly the same level of dumb excitement that the first bunch had. It feels generic, like a Pacific Rim knockoff.

I'm also not sure exactly why Saber Athena feels way more feminine than the other robots.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
look at saber athenas hips and legs

The other ones got male shape, saber athena got female shape

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zzulu posted:

look at saber athenas hips and legs

The other ones got male shape, saber athena got female shape

Oh, I know. My phrasing was bad.

I mean, why did they make Athena so feminine? All the other ones are hulking brutes, then there's this one with an obvious female shape. Even the way it's standing screams 'it's the female Power Ranger' of the group compared to the others.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Because anime

There's always female robots in anime isnt there

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
The female lead is Jing Tian, who is so unpopular in China that there are multiple contradictory conspiracy theories on why she keeps getting roles.

She also plays the Chinese scientist in Kong Skull island, she has about 6 (badly delivered) lines.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dont they know g gundam is the best gundam these new designs are lame.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Pacific Rim was the most fun in a theater I've ever had without unzipping anything. Godzilla 2014 was the most hype experience ever. Shin Godzilla was a horrifyingly amazing take on Evangelion.

Pacific Rim still has one of the best theme songs ever.

I got pumped as hell for that trailer.

Get out of my mind Tommy 2.0! I agree wholeheartedly with every one of these opinions and I couldn't be more excited for a new Pacific Rim.

The theme from Pacific Rim is some of the best movie music ever. I've probably run at least 500 miles to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

Gipsy's theme is no slouch either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRQvTSFppw

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

kanonvandekempen posted:

The female lead is Jing Tian, who is so unpopular in China that there are multiple contradictory conspiracy theories on why she keeps getting roles.

She also plays the Chinese scientist in Kong Skull island, she has about 6 (badly delivered) lines.

She's a pretty girl for a shallow movie for the mass audience. She'll do well. Maybe even be a fit with her line delivery especially if there are elements of BURNING FIRE THAT RAGES WITHIN!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I really hope this movie is good. And by good I mean as enjoyable or more than the first one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Spartacus is a really smart, good show that does such a perfect imitation of a dumb, bad one that I understand the people who didn't stick around to find out which it was.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

Snowman_McK posted:

Spartacus is a really smart, good show that does such a perfect imitation of a dumb, bad one that I understand the people who didn't stick around to find out which it was.

I've seen the first season, does it get better?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Ideally the "uprising" is that these new lame as hell jaegers like become self aware and evil or are bad in some way and the only way to save the day is to reassemble/reactivate the Cherno Alpha and other rad jaegers from the last movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Guess you didn't see The Circle or Imperial Dreams?

Nope never heard of them. Must have real big hits

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideally the "uprising" is that these new lame as hell jaegers like become self aware and evil or are bad in some way and the only way to save the day is to reassemble/reactivate the Cherno Alpha and other rad jaegers from the last movie.

sure

but you just know it's going to be the return of the kaiju

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
In universe, the new batch of human looking mechs are probably all made in the image of Gypsi Dangers on account of how much rear end it kicked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mouse Cadet posted:

Yes. That meteoric improvement in everything from episode to episode continues from season to season.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mouse Cadet posted:

If you don't like it by the end of the first season I don't think it's the show for you to be honest.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Donnerberg posted:

In universe, the new batch of human looking mechs are probably all made in the image of Gypsi Dangers on account of how much rear end it kicked.

Why not just make like 10 Gypsys? :v:

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

banned from Starbucks posted:

Nope never heard of them. Must have real big hits

Sorry that you, a poster in the Something awful dot com movies forum, don't watch movies

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Through The Decade posted:

I'm getting the impression it's only one pilot per Jaeger this time, which means less opportunity for whining about partners and teamwork and trust and looking out for each other. I mean that as a bad thing.

Obviously the jaegers will combine and the pilots will drift while also being placed in compromising positions in the cockpit like in an anime I forget the name of.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
loving Why not just build a jaeger around a kaiju? Then the pilot can drift with the kaiju
Get some EVA up in here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should go the Zone of the Enders route and make the cockpit literal.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Wild Horses posted:

loving Why not just build a jaeger around a kaiju? Then the pilot can drift with the kaiju
Get some EVA up in here

I anticipate this exact thing will happen eventually. I'd be surprised if that isn't why Charlie Day is in the movie.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

Get some EVA up in here

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what GDT and the writers said about any prospective PR2 sequels.

Uprising does not have GDT or the original writers.

edit: lol it doesn't even have the original composer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Uprising' is one of those subtitles that lets you know a movie, game or tie-in book is going to be as generic as it can possibly get.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

'Uprising' is one of those subtitles that lets you know a movie, game or tie-in book is going to be as generic as it can possibly get.
This is so disgustingly true.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xealot posted:

Also, "the drift" was super interesting and the first film barely explored it. But if it's one pilot, that goes out the window. Top Gun with fighting robots. Which could be fine but sounds pretty generic.

I'm with the people who are lukewarm on the new jaeger designs, though. I loving loved how weird and strangely-proportioned the original ones were. A nuclear reactor tankbot, a three-armed camera-face hunchback...now they all look like Striker Eureka, who was purposefully slick and "cool" looking to serve the Buzz Lightyear / Woody tension with Gipsy.

I hope this movie is good. My fanfic hope was probably asking too much, that the "new" jaegers would all be improvised rebuilds of scrapped old ones. I mean, what did Matador Fury look like? Because that name is loving amazing.

I agree about the drift, and I'm hoping this movie pulls a reverse of the last one and has most of the new designs trashed and they do the rebuild thing because the classics were built to last :clint:

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what GDT and the writers said about any prospective PR2 sequels.

:negative:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 25, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ufarn posted:

This is so disgustingly true.

Kid Icarus Uprising

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

No iron man/westworld music man??? Do they hate success or what

ufarn
May 30, 2009
DeKnight is an amazing director, but I wonder how much he's involved screenwriting and VFX direction.

Maybe we also just need a real weeb to do some proper anime fighting.

The ideal scenario would probably be DeKnight directing and supervising screenplay while Gareth Edwards did cinematography and VFX directon.

While he wasn't available for this movie due to Rogue One, I wonder why his Director calendar is empty after Rogue One, and why hasn't been announced as part of any other Mecha/Kaiju project.

Hopefully he's working on something.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

ufarn posted:

DeKnight is an amazing director, but I wonder how much he's involved screenwriting and VFX direction.

Maybe we also just need a real weeb to do some proper anime fighting.

The ideal scenario would probably be DeKnight directing and supervising screenplay while Gareth Edwards did cinematography and VFX directon.

While he wasn't available for this movie due to Rogue One, I wonder why he his Director calendar is empty after Rogue One, and why hasn't been announced as part of any other Mecha/Kaiju project.

Hopefully he's working on something.

Shin Godzilla versus Legendary Godzilla
God Willing

• Locked thread